• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Your Thoughts on 8-Player Smash

Elisay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Elisay7
3DS FC
2552-2548-4286
Honestly, I think 8-Player Smash is a great addition to the Smash Brothers roster of modes, but I want to hear from you.
What do think about it?
Items, on or off?

Stage list, yay or nah?
Who in the world has 8 controllers?!
Great addition?
How many players do you think is the definitive amount?

I'm just spitting out random questions by now, so feel free to answer mine, create your own, and just discuss 8 player smash.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I'm not a big fan of 8player smash myself because I'm usually playing alone or with one other person. It's a good idea i guess if you're going to be throwing big smash parties every friday at your house :p I personally would've preferred the development time of the idea go elsewhere but just my opinion.

Khao

Smash Lord
I still haven't been able to have a full 8 player match (as in, all players, not CPUs) but I love the fact that it's possible.

Seems like it's more enjoyable on a big TV, though. If you have a small TV, it's hard to see the characters when they're so far apart on a big stage, and when it comes to small stages, the game's too chaotic to be enjoyable.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
every smash player should be bringing their own controller

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think 8-Player Smash is a great addition to the Smash Brothers roster of modes, but I want to hear from you.
What do think about it?
Items, on or off?

Stage list, yay or nah?
Great addition?

I'm just spitting out random questions by now, so feel free to answer mine, create your own, and just discuss 8 player smash.
What do you think about it?: I find that 8-player smash is the mode that keeps bringing me back for more. The craziness of it all! No one can truly predict the outcome, and the most unlikely things can and will happen. It's a blast!

Items, on or off?: YES

Stage list, Yay or nah?: So far a yay for me, and with the patch, I feel the stage roster is a bit more satisfying.

Who in the World has 8 controllers?!: Simple. Everyone brings their controller or 3DS.

How many players do you think is the definitive amount?: Anywhere from 6-8 is the most fun. The more the merrier!

To close with a question of my own, what kind of hype moments have you experienced on this mode, if any?

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
So true... But what if they don't have a controller?
probably not worth playing with tbh
skilled players always have their own control

Last edited:

Elisay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Elisay7
3DS FC
2552-2548-4286
To close with a question of my own, what kind of hype moments have you experienced on this mode, if any?
Well, there was that one time where I almost got 3 stocked against all my friends, but then I came back and won.
That isn't my only hype moment, there seems to be no stop of hype, but that was one of the more memorable ones.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Ugh... not a fan. For starters, the stage selection is downright awful. You've got stages that are too freaking small to support more than 4 players in the first place (Smashville, Kongo Jungle 64, Castle Siege, Flat Zone X, Ω Stages in general, etc), then there're the stages that are just bad to begin with (Gaur Plain, GCO, 75m, Palutena's Temple, Flat Zone X again, etc). I could go on, really. That, and how would you even get 8 people together to play Smash in the first place, let alone having enough controllers? I guess if you have 7 friends who are all massive casuals and enjoy that kind of thing, it's somewhat plausible...
It's definitely not for me, to be brief.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think 8-Player Smash is a great addition to the Smash Brothers roster of modes, but I want to hear from you. What do think about it?
Items, on or off?
Stage list, yay or nah?
Great addition?
How many players do you think is the definitive amount? I'm just spitting out random questions by now, so feel free to answer mine, create your own, and just discuss 8 player smash.
Great addition to the more casual side of Smash. A friend of mine brings his setup to school and we play in the lounge, and with a number of people wanting to play its great to have the option for 8 player Smash. Stage list is alright, but we usually play on big BF anyway. Items off for sure. I can play on either 3ds, gamepad, or GCC so I don't mind having to lend my controller out. We usually play by random (we call out 3.2.1 while everyone is changing teams) 3v3/4v4 so FFA isn't played too often.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
8 player smash can get pretty crazy(in a good way)but overall its a blast,definitely something smash needed to keep the party aspects fresh.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
What do think about it?

8 player smash is the best thing to happen to this series far IMO. I understand why people who only play competitive rule set's wouldn't like it. Smash has the capacity for both the tactical warfare of a 1 vs 1 on a neutral stage... and the complete chaos of 8 players with pokemon and explosives going off. This is amazing. I haven't had the chance to enjoy it's full potential... and I suspect I will be playing a lot more 6 player than 8 player. Friends and I have devised a 2 vs 2 vs 2 (vs 2), rule set we think will be a blast.
Items, on or off?
Depends. I will be playing with various mixes.
Stage list, yay or nah?

The stage list could be better. Some feel to small... but the chaos of it makes that ok.

Probably a top 3 disappointment with this game is the lack of custom 8 man stages. I suspect they would need to be simpler and more limited to keep major processing, and frame rate issues from occurring.,, but I'd rather have a limited option stage creater than not have one.

Omega Stages... I don't get it. Don't see why effort was put into making the same stage on many different backgrounds.
Actually me.

I bought 2 extra Wii Remotes during the Wii's life cycle, as well as nunchucks. A relative gave me his Wii Remote when his system went kerplunk. I recently picked up a 4th nunchuck for our smash/other game get togethers. I owned a gamecube, and never got rid of the controllers, and a friend gave me 2 extra when he was getting rid of his old stuff.

Not everyone is going to get their controller of choice every match... but I have enough. With this game giving options, and using controllers I already had it worked out well. If the controllers were new... It would take me years to get this many and other people would need to bring their stuff.

Great addition?
I think either 6 or 8 will be the most fun. 2 vs 2 vs 2. Balance of team work and insanity.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm not really a big fan of 8-Player Smash myself as it's super hectic for me to the point where I have absolutely no clue where the hell am I sitting at it's just ridiculous. I still prefer the old school way with 4 people playing it instead.

_gold_

Smash Master
This may come as a shock, but I only play it when I have 8 people to play with. It's not like I go and fight against 7 CPU's all day.
I think it's pretty fun, and a awesome addition to the series. Although, I'd suggest only playing it in small doses. Sometimes you just have to go back to good ol' regular Smash.

Last edited:

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
What do think about it?: I think the ability to do it is fantastic, but it can be a little hectic. You NEED a decent sized TV to be able to tell what is going on. 4v4 or 2v2v2v2 is so much fun. I don't use it to VS CPU though. It's fun to put 8 Amiibo against each other in teams though. cx

Items, on or off?: I think having a few set items appear works fine. Although it is funny to have legendary Pokemon show up and watch as the whole room goes mental as the game erupts into chaos.

Stage list, yay or nah?: They needed more, and they released more. Happy times. c:

Who in the world has 8 controllers?!: Me. c:

Great addition?: I'd say so, you can't say that people haven't discusses having more than 4 players before Sm4sh came out. Especially when multiman matches had over 4.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
What do think about it?
It's great. I play frequently with a bunch of friends IRL and for the longest time we had to rotate in and out. This allows us to all play at once.

Items, on or off?
On. Or off. We're pretty happy go lucky regarding the items, but we'll flip the switch one way or the other every 5 matches or so.

Stage list, yay or nah?
I'll admit, the one downside is limited stage list. I want to play all the stages, but obviously not every single one is suited for 8 player.

Not me. But my friend has a full set of four and everyone else brings their own.

Great addition?
Probably the feature I appreciated most. More than four is fantastic. I love doing team matches too. Four Vs. Four is crazy. Three Vs. Three is actually workable.

Six. Any more and it's too hard to keep an eye on what's happening. Unfortunately I normally get forced to play with 8, even if there's only five of us. CPUs and amiibos aplenty.

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
What do think about it?
Items, on or off?

Stage list, yay or nah?
Great addition?

I love 8 player smash.

Depends which items are on really...

I think that the update really helped by adding all those new maps.

I definitely don't have 8 controllers, but if a friend has a 3ds they can use it as a controller too.

GREAT ADDITION. Its something i've dreamt about since playing 4 player Ice Climber free for alls in Melee.

The definitive amount of players is however many you can get!

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I think the mode is great. Probably the smartest addition yet. It can be hectic with a lot of items and people on the same stage, but I tend to have it with easy to use items (melee weapons, PKBs/MBs, ATs) and watch things get even more hectic. But it's perfect for amiibo battles (eight FP fighting each other is hilarious).

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
What do think about it?
Just like you'd expect it to be: crazy and hectic as hell. There are occasions where you dont even know where you are or sometimes even where you spawned. It's that action packed.
Items, on or off?
I dont have a preference, but items on would make it even more crazy. I do think they make it more fun though.

Stage list, yay or nah?
Some stages are too large even for 8 players(for example Palutena's Temple and Great Cave Offensive), but you can all just agree to fight in one section of stages like this.
I dont think Nintendo expects you to have 8 controls. I think their idea was that each person brings their own. You also have to consider the wide variety of controllers you can use on the Wii U, so there should be no shortage.
Great addition?
overall, I'd say yes. It makes for an extremely enjoyable mode of Smash to play. While it can be confusing too and full of action, that adds to its enjoyability. Who doesn't enjoy playing with friends?
I still think 4 should be the max amount of players, but I'm not against having more.
[/quote]

Last edited:

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
Way too clustered and they chose some really bad stages for it, like the scaled down Yoshi's Island

Okarin

Smash Rookie
NNID
nakarumadra
I think it's one of the main reasons I play at my friends and why we come play together. Since online its not an option, we just all sit behind a single screen and destroy each other in a chaotic frenzy. Sure there will be the one or two elitists that ruin it, but the fact there are 6 others that will agree to team up and destroy them is something else. The amount of adrenaline and yelling there is with 8 guys smashing is amazing. 4v4 is the best and stage selection is just fine. Also, got to bring your own controllers.

Last edited:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
It's honestly my favorite part of the game. It really adds a sense of speed and controlled-chaos that 4 player battles don't really give any more. Plus it gets rid of the 4 person restriction at parties.

AUS

Smash Cadet
Super fun with a large group of people if you want to mess around, better than 4-player smash if you ask me. In 4-player smash there would always be that one guy who loves to camp while everyone else fights and ends up having 4 stocks by the end. In 8-player smash this is not a problem since there is so much chaos that there is no real way to camp. Its a non-competitive fun way to play smash that I'll usually play just to have a fun time. However no items should be on in this mode, I know one could make the argument that "Well since its 8-players it isn't competitive so throw some items in there" however trust me I've tried 8-player smash with items, it adds a whole new definition to the term "Chaos". Overall I love the addition, also never try 8-players on normal sized battle-field...just don't.

Shadow_Whisper

Smash Rookie
I only play 8 player smash when I can. When I play with friends we don't use any items because we don't really care about using them. We like seeing how long we can last in the matches. If we used the pokeballs we would just end up getting lost and trying to find ourselves.

Rtas Vadum

Smash Rookie
NNID
MasterKazMiller
3DS FC
3394-3815-1574
I personally think it's good for parties. Myself, I do not have parties or play with people locally. It's not a bad addition, it is fun for me and my amiibos to play with. I never use items myself, just a preference I have. Stage list is okay, I prefer using the Temple only though. I technically have four controllers. I think 8 is a healthy amount, brings fun and chaos to battle, especially for those who have parties, sleep overs or for whatever reason.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Super fun with a large group of people if you want to mess around, better than 4-player smash if you ask me. In 4-player smash there would always be that one guy who loves to camp while everyone else fights and ends up having 4 stocks by the end. In 8-player smash this is not a problem since there is so much chaos that there is no real way to camp. Its a non-competitive fun way to play smash that I'll usually play just to have a fun time. However no items should be on in this mode, I know one could make the argument that "Well since its 8-players it isn't competitive so throw some items in there" however trust me I've tried 8-player smash with items, it adds a whole new definition to the term "Chaos". Overall I love the addition, also never try 8-players on normal sized battle-field...just don't.
Challenge Accepted.

PF9

Smash Lord
Well, 8-Player Smash is the only way to pit all the Pokemon against each other on Pokemon Stadium 2 since there are 5 (soon to be 6) playable Pokemon. When I do that, I generally have only Poke Balls and Master Balls on. I refer to such matches as "Pokemon Madness".

It's also useful for Amiibo farming once you have a good amount of Amiibos at level 50.

Last edited:

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
4 v 4 squad battles. True tactical chaotic teamwork. It's the most fun we've had as a group.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
The best way to put it is that it's less like Smash Brothers and more like "Where's Waldo".

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
I set it up on the projector every Sunday, and students love it. It's massive fun for casuals, and I'm glad to see people enjoying the game.

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of 8 player smash for multiplayer but I absolutely hate how almost every match in classic is more than 4 players... it's too hectic and just lazy. Classic mode in all other Smash games was much better.

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
I like the idea of 8 player smash for multiplayer but I absolutely hate how almost every match in classic is more than 4 players... it's too hectic and just lazy. Classic mode in all other Smash games was much better.
I agree, on classic 9.0 difficulty, it's either way too easy and all of the A.I. just kill each other, or way too difficult and it's a 7v1 because for some reason the A.I. need you to die and will just ignore each other trying to get to you.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Very chaotic and a ton of fun with human players. Goes very well with the vision of "uncontrollable chaos" that Smash was designed by. It's a amazingly fun addition in multiplayer versus.

I'm not as enthused with it in Classic mode, because it's easy to slip up and get bopped by the AI when there's more going on. It's probably only annoying because Classic mode was previously a pretty static thing, and thus easier to grasp while actively trying to get through it.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I love 8P smash. It's chaotic and insane, like Smash should be. I love love love that they made this addition. Even without 8 human players, a FFA with 7 Level 50 Amiibos is awesome.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I love it.

Sometimes competitive 1v1 is good...

But sometimes you just want an 8 Player Smash, Pilotwings Mr. Saturn only.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Optimum setup for me is 6 player smash/3v3. 8 player is just too much. Really frustrates me though that I can't find a gc adapter that fits within my current budget or else we'd be golden.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
It's a great palate cleanser between 1v1s. The hilarity of running through enlightening frays avoiding two jigglypuffs trying to Rest me was a hoot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom