• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Smash Character History

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
For a lot of us this mod is the fourth smash game we've really gotten into and a lot of our characters have changed game to game. Out of curiosity my question is what were your mains/secondaries in the other smash iterations and what is your reasoning on why they changed from game to game ultimately leading up to why you chose the characters you did in P:M.
I played a lot more than these characters though the games and switched often throughout the years but, i would say these are my go-to's. I'm going to throw in an honorable mentions for characters that were at some time a main or I played them quite frequently.
I know this is kind of a stupid concept but, I'm just curious about other P:M players character transitions throughout the years.

This is what i mean:
--
SSB:
Main::falcon:
Secondary(s): :fox:
Honorable Mentions::mario2:
Reasoning: Enjoyed the speed of falcon he was the most fun character to me. Upon experimenting with fox I found many of his combos to feel very natural for me and i honestly was better with him than falcon. I just really didn't have as much fun
--
SSBM:
Main: :falco:
Secondary(s): :marth::ganondorf::falcon:
Honorable Mentions::sheik::mewtwopm::fox:
Reasoning: I was playing a lot of fox in melee until I finally started to pick up falco and it felt like an even more perfect fit for me personally than fox. I kept C.Falcon around as an alt he was an explosively fun character to play in melee but, I really sucked with him. I gained a love for marth and gannondorfs play style in these games and became a very confident player in both.
--
SSBB:
Main: :falco:
Secondary(s): :dedede::marth:
Honorable Mentions: :ganondorf::lucas::wolf:
Reasoning: Coming out of melee with a strong loyalty for falco in melee i stuck with him even though brawl being a completely different game and falco not feeling like falco anymore I still loved playing him regardless. I stuck with marth as well in this game and was a pretty confident player but, certainly wasn't as fun as the past iteration in the series. I picked up DDD since ganon became a huge piece of garbage in brawl and I had a void i needed to fill of a character more on the heavier side. He ended up being a lot of fun. I had to drop C.falcon as well he really was just nothing like his melee version and i really didn't have fun with him anymore
--
P:M:
Main: :roypm:
Secondary(s): :zerosuitsamus::falcon::ganondorf:
Honorable Mentions: :falco::lucas::mario2::ness2::pit::sheilda:
Reasoning: I really have been trying to make a valid attempt to break away from my old characters and try new things. Roy has become my replacement for marth even though they are similar they have drastic differences that make him a breathe of fresh air. ZSS i've just recently fallen in love with originally i was just messing around with her but, now I play her all the time. I really haven't played a character that I've had as much fun with since melee. I brought the C. Falcon back in a quest to actually get good with him this time around he's still a blast to play. I also occasionally bring my Gdorf back i'm really happy that he's back to feeling right in this game so, I dropped DDD to start playing him again.
--

Whats your History?

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Fun thread idea aha :D

SSBM / SSBB (2001-2009)
[1]
:marthmelee:/:marth:
[2] :sheikmelee:/:sheik:
I played casually from 1st-9th grade, without any tech skill. Don't remember exactly how I chose my mains; I probably just thought they looked cool aha. I remember my younger brother played Roy in SSBM, so I'm sure that had some influence on why I picked Marth (played in teams against friends a lot; we probably thought swordsman bros were cool or something). Had to sell my Wii in 2009 after a trans-continental move D: So I wouldn't end up playing smash again consistently until college (2014). Sometime by 2007-2009, I learned that the game was played competitively and tried to learn some tech skill, but since the only person I played against was my brother, and I didn't really get that wavedashing/etc. was impossible in Brawl (stupid child...), I sort of gave up on it.

SSBM / P:M (2014)
[1] :sheikmelee:/:zelda:,:sheilda:
[2] :marthmelee:/:sheik:,:pit:
I was lucky enough to come to a college with a pretty great local smash scene, so I started getting back into the game this year. I found that, without much tech skill, my Marth wasn't really that good at all (actually pretty terrible), but also realized Sheik allowed for less technical play at a higher level. Since then, I've gotten some Zelda/Sheilda down in P:M (now that she's a legit character), and she's probably my best main across the smash games. She's especially good for developing good reads/mindgames with all her crazy setups, while not requiring too much tech skill. I am trying to up my tech skill on the side with SSBM Marth and P:M Pit though. I'm not comfortable with Marth yet to easily keep readjusting back and forth from SSBM/P:M Marth physics, so I chose Pit for tech practice in P:M since he sorta feels similar to Sheik. The combos with Marth/Pit are fun too c:

Last edited:

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100
I like this thread. I'll go third.

I bought all the Smash games in chronological order over my childhood but played them all casually until Brawl, which I played competitively. So I'll list the games in the order in which I played them competitively.

Brawl (Late-2009-2012):
Main: Diddy
Secondaries: Falcon, Link, Ganon, Snake, MK
Reasoning: Brawl was my first competitive game and when I got it, the coolest character in the entire game to me was Captain Falcon. Like my love for this character knows no bounds and with his super manly pink costume of justice and freedom, I was hooked. Unfortunately, Falcon was total garbage in that game so sticking to him didn't really take me far online (I'm mainly an online player btw) or offline. Over time, I also gained interest in Link because I was inspired by a European Link main named Izaw and then Ganon because I'd pretty much built myself on being a low tier hero and it's freaking Ganondorf so why not? Eventually, I got tired of being a low tier hero and losing to people I was significantly better than and decided to play a top tier character. I liked Diddy because I liked how he could string together guaranteed damage really quickly and his glide toss reminded me of Melee's wavedashing when I learn about it during my casual days. But I still hold my low-tier characters deep within my heart <3. Also, I use Snake and MK just cause lol. Now, I'm on and off with Brawl. I still love the game and enjoy playing it, I just didn't like the dickish online community for it (looking at you, AiB :/ ), so I just lost a lot of interest in getting better.

Project M (Mid-2012-Present):
Main: Captain Falcon
Secondaries: Fox, Falco, Marth, Mario, D3, Diddy Kong
Reasoning: Again, Falcon to me was still the coolest character in the game. Now, he wasn't total garbage and could actually put up a fight, so I was super excited to play him when I started P:M. I had never played Melee competitively prior to picking up P:M so I had to learn all the Melee tech that I kind of heard about when I played casually. I didn't want to base my tech skill in P:M by practicing it in P:M because at the time I started playing (v2.0), the game felt very clunky and stiff. So I reasoned that if I based my tech skill from Melee, transitioning to P:M wouldn't be so bad since I'm basing it off of the original. So I practiced tech skill for an entire summer with Fox and Falcon in Melee and played people online in P:M and pretty much maintained that up to today, picking up other characters along the way because you eventually get bored using the same character all the time. Falco, Marth and Mario were big Melee secondaries I picked up. I had always wanted to use a Brawl-exclusive character in P:M since I didn't really like P:M Diddy Kong when he was released and D3 was just too adorable to resist <3. So I had to play him. I recently got over my grudge with the differences in P:M Diddy and started to try him out and now I like him significantly more than I did in the past, so now I'm picking him up. Over this time, I would go to offline tourneys when I could (living in TN as opposed to SoCal or Tristate is a big difference, IMO) and do relatively well in them (placing decently at Apex: 65th out of like 400 people going all Falcon) and I'm still trying to keep that trend going.

Melee (Mid-2012-Present):
Main: Captain Falcon
Secondaries: Fox, Falco, Marth, Mario, Doc. Mario
Reasoning: Since I picked up Melee alongside P:M, I was also interested in competing in the game instead of just using it as a tool to practice P:M. I do ok in Melee with Falcon. Sometimes I do pretty well, sometimes I get wrecked. On P:M wi-fi, there weren't many people who played spacies online, so getting practice in that MU from even the P:M side of things was hard for me. So whenever I played Melee, I usually just got spacied all the time. Also, Sheik. **** Sheik xD. I still want to learn the game, though. I feel like when I get Netplay, playing Melee Online will help a lot in getting that practice in.

Smash64 (Late 2012-Present):
Main: Link
Secondaries: None
Reasoning: I was already playing all these Smash games so I said, "why not play Smash64?" Smash64 was my first video game EVER and I loved it so much as a 6 year old kid. And to play it competitively, all it really took was for me to see like one Isai video for me to be interested in it. Link is the character I have the most fun with because I've seen the things Isai's Link could do and thought to myself, "this character is ridiculously fun! If only Brawl Link could play the same..." So the low tier hero within me came back to life and I just enjoy playing Link. Falcon is way too weird for me in this game and honestly, it's not because of the character. It's because of the awkward N64 controller and I always drop Falcon's extremely easy bread and butter combos because of its awkwardness and it makes me mad lol. Plus, there's no Knee, soooooo yeah. If anyone has Smash64 at an event, I'll usually enter and play. Also, I sometimes practice online so there's that. Otherwise, I'm pretty on and off with 64. Sometimes I get tired of always missing a Z-Cancel and getting throw offstage and auto-dying because Link's recovery sucks and losing to really bad players all the time. Sometimes, I think about just dropping Link and learning Pikachu. But all I need to do is watch an Isai video and the low tier hero in me regains confidence.

I love all the Smash games. Smash is so fun and each iteration of it utilizes fundamentals that can be used universally in not just Smash but in other fighters as well (which I'll one day start playing seriously). Plus all the wacky things that can happen in Smash just make it such a memorable game :'D

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Lets go with bests for me instead of mains.

Never have I mained a character because less interesting.

SSB
Link / Pikachu
Favorite franchises, favorite characters.

SSBM
Young Link during my casual period
Marth / Pichu during my competitive period

SSBB
Pikachu / Sheik / Fox

Project M
Roy / Marth / Lucas / Pikachu

Boring story ahead.
Reasonings for each character, I liked them the most and I liked how they played.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
SSB64 - :jigglypuff64:
I thought she was the joke character, simple as. So, I picked her and enjoyed her..

Melee - :drmario: - :pichumelee: - :younglinkmelee:
At this point, I really wasn't playing competitively. Just choosing characters that I liked from their respective appearances in games.

Brawl - :ike: -> :wolf: -> :jigglypuff: -> :wario:
Oh christ, where do I begin.
Brawl, for me, was where a lot of my experimenting happened. Eventually, after lots and lots of main changes (as you can see), I settled on Wario and started to play Brawl competitively.

Which leads me onto now.

Project M - :charizard:

So, I now main Charizard. Why? I have absolutely no idea. I despised all the Pokémon apart from Ivysaur out of the Pokémon Trainer's playable characters. I initially picked up Project M intending to main Mario because of the gorgeous Dr.Mario skin, which would give me a chance to relive the Melee haydays, but actually play as a viable character this time.
However, to give the other characters a chance, before settling with Mario, I thought "No, let's give everyone else their fair shot." so, I went into training mode with all the other characters. (I knew I wasn't playing Wario. Screw the changes they made to him.) Along the way, I'm thinking, "Nope. This ain't doing it for me. Nope. No. Nada."

And then I got to Charizard. "Oh. I'll never like him."
I was wrong. Very wrong.
I started to get good as him. And play him more.
He doesn't even fit into my preferred playstyle in fighting games. (Gun characters, if you're curious. Not zoners. Guns, specifically. Think Deadpool, Laguna, etc.)
But, he's my main. And I have no idea how.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
64 (2014):
Main: :fox64:
In my first day playing 64 as Fox (in 2014), I got a 0-170% combo on Hyrule.
It was glorious.
#NeverForget

Melee
(2002-2006, 2007-2012)

Main: :roymelee:
Secondaries: :marthmelee::pikachumelee:
I was a scrub back then, so Ph1r3 and swords meant a lot to me.

(2006-2007)
Main: :pikachumelee:
Secondaries::mariomelee::sheikmelee::nessmelee:
I was forced to play on a Gamecube with no memory card for a year. So this happened.

(2012-2014)
Main: :marthmelee:
Secondaries::pikachumelee::peachmelee:
This was around the time when I started to take interest in competitive Smash. Watching all the top Marths in tournament sets (mainly M2K's Marth) inspired me to pick up Marth. Pikachu has always been there for me, so I couldn't really leave him entirely (plus Axe hype). Plus I liked Pika a little more in doubles than Marth. Peach was just kinda there, though.

Now:
Co-Mains: :pikachumelee::falconmelee:
Sheik Counterpick::jigglypuffmelee:
As I got better and better at the game...Marth got really boring. So I assembled this group of characters. I have mad fun with all of them. I can use Pika against low tiers, Jiggs, Falcon, and Spacies. I have Falcon for match-ups I'm not comfortable in with Pika (Marth, Peach, Icies, Mario Bros.), or if I just wanna style. I only use Jiggs for 1 match-up: Sheik. Cause screw Sheik (#PikaMainSalt).

Brawl (2008-2009)
Main: :ike:
Secondaries: :olimar::marth:
Even as a casual at the time, I really didn't enjoy Brawl as much as Melee. Of course, I played it a lot, cause it was still fun to an extent. But something always felt off. I just played characters from my favorite franchises.

Project M (2013-2014)
?????: :marth::ike::ivysaur::mario2::zerosuitsamus::wolf::lucas::dk2::zelda::peach::gw::falcon::pit::roypm::toonlink::yoshi2::ness2::olimar::squirtle::jigglypuff:
When I first discovered 2.5, I immediately fell in love with...everything (#ProjectMProblems). I was switching mains every week. I wanted to learn everyone, but I couldn't. I put the most time in Marth, because those skills transferred over to my Melee main, but I played the rest of those listed characters for around the same amounts of time.

Now:
Secondaries: :pikachu2::falcon::olimar::roypm::yoshi2:
I still play a lot of characters in PM, but at least I narrowed it down. I play Ike, bcuz he's Ike. Pika and Falcon to keep up with my Melee stuff. Oli because I really enjoy how he plays. Roy for when I'm feelin' down, and I just wanna get huge combos without much effort. Yoshi because he's easily the funnest character to me.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
64: :link64: - In most, if not every SSB64 game I've played, the last character (Ness in this case) was never unlocked. Link was, by default, the coolest.

Melee: :yoshimelee:, :linkmelee:,:younglinkmelee:,:falcomelee:,:drmario:,:nessmelee: - Melee was actually the first Smash Bros. game I can remember playing. At the time I only saw it as 'Mario Party w/ Fighting' and Yoshi was my fav Mario Party character, so I played him at first. Thought he sucked because of his recovery. Eventually I drifted towards link because swords were cool at the time and I loved Zelda. This eventually lead to using young link whom I favored more. later on I began to experiment with other characters, and since I had Starfox Assault on hand and Falco was my favourite in that game, I decided to go with him for a bit. When I felt Falco had gotten stale, I shifted to Doc. Eventually after learning a lot about Nintendo history, I got curious as to who Ness was and why I've never heard of him which led to me playing, and enjoying his character.

Brawl: :ness2:,:lucas:
Sub: :olimar:

It wasn't until after Brawl came out that I played Earthbound for the first time and my love for Ness and the MOTHER series as a whole grew. Ness and Lucas became my favourite characters on the roster. When I started getting into the competitive aspects of Smash, I picked up Olimar because I had Pikmin and liked the game, not to mention everybody seemed to hate him. Eventually I dropped Lucas and Oli and went straight Ness.

P:M: :ness2:
Subs: Most of the roster.

I was introduced to P:M around the 2.0-2.5 era I believe. Of course, this was when I was actually viewing the non-casual aspects of the series and fell in love with Melee's hitstun, speed, and the wavedash. I didn't posses an SD card during these builds at first, so playing them was a bit of a rarity and I tended to hop around to other characters to see their playstyles, but still stuck with Ness. Around 2.5-2.6 I picked up lucas and snake. As of 3.0 I began to use a variety of characters as subs simply because everybody feels so fluid.

Once smash 4 hits, of course, Ness and Lucas will be my primary characters, with the addition of Megaman and Villager as I seem to have developed a preference to super-powered children in games.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Well lets see..

SSB64.
Yoshi. I focused mostly on him the entire time I played this game. I never branched out much other then Mario just cause I love Yoshi.

SSBM
Started with Luigi, but eventually moved to Falco and bounce back and forth between the two. But I also messed with a lot others at the time as well.

SSBB, up until I gave up on it..
Ness, Lucas, Fox. Ness and Lucas cause I love the Mother series and well.. They were fun to play. Fox cause I was trying to recreate that Melee speed. Didn't happen x]

SSBPM.
Soooo many characters..
Lucas is my primary. Hes everything I wanted in a character. Fast, technical, spike.. Just amazing.
Yoshi. Bring back my original x]
Fox. Cause Fox!!
Roy. So rush down friendly, very fitting to my play style
Marth. Just that Melee Marth flow. So satisfying.
Luigi. My worst character, but I want so bad to use hi well x]
Mario. Everyone has a pocket Mario x]
Been starting to pick up on Meta knight as of late, too.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
N64
  • :falcon64: Captain Falcon was my favorite when I first started playing the game, when I was just casual with a few friends
  • :kirby64: Kirby when I got more "serious" and started playing "competitively
  • I also liked playing as all the other characters in the game except :ness64: Ness and :yoshi64: Yoshi because of their weird double jump mechanics

Melee

• I gravitated first towards :falconmelee: Captain Falcon and :kirbymelee: Kirby because of my love for them in N64, but I do remember really liking
  • :marthmelee: Marth because all his attacks looked cool and fluid. This was before I knew about any of the advanced techniques so I'm sure I did a lot of F-smash spamming
  • I don't remember much else until the point where I started learning about competitive Melee, so then I basically learned how to play the top characters (except :icsmelee: Ice Climbers and :peachmelee: Peach because I never liked their jank)
  • Eventually I had a roster of :falconmelee: Captain Falcon, :drmario: Dr. Mario, :falcomelee:Falco, :foxmelee:Fox, :ganondorfmelee: Ganondorf, :marthmelee: Marth, and :sheikmelee:Sheik that I liked to play, and I played them all often over the years, but
  • :marthmelee: Marth and :falcomelee: Falco are my current main and secondary

Barwl

• Eh, never really got into it. I liked :ike: Ike :metaknight: Meta Knight I guess...

Project M

• I probably started off playing all the Melee characters that I was decent at from Melee
  • I ended up really liking :ike: Ike and :dedede: Dedede as far as currently released (at the time) Brawl characters went
  • When 2.6 came out and :metaknight: Meta Knight got released I was so excited and ended up eventually maining him, though there was a period of time I didn't like him, sorta
  • But now I play :metaknight: Meta Knight, :sheik: Sheik, and :ike: Ike in that order, if I want to be all srs about winning
  • Still, I mess around with half of the roster because this game is so fuuuuuunnnnnn

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I didnt own SSB64 so Ill start with Melee.

SSBM: Doc/Luigi/Fox/Peach+Fox

Reasons: So, I did play 64 with friends before so I was familiar with the game but only played casually. I liked Doc because he had a fast roll and his pills pissed my friends off..lmao And I enjoyed playing as him and his Black costume. Lol Then I learned about AT's and switched to luigi because of his long wavedash. I liked doing it because it was new to me. Then I went to Peach and picked Fox up a little latter because they were the characters my friends dodnt pick. I also had the starfox game on The cube and this sortve pushed to take up fox. And chibos amazing guide as well Lol After a while , I started just playing other characters like Ganon, Falco, Marth, YL and Jiggs when I got tired of Fox/Peach.

SSBB: Fox/Diddy

I picked Fox until I realized that Brawl =/=Melee. So I tried dofferent characters looking for another fast-paced character ( as fast paced as brawl could get) and decided to pick Diddy.

PM: still love Diddy and Fox! Also forgot to mention I had Donkey Kong Country 1-2-3 for the SNES as one of my first video games I actually conpleted. Diddy is special lol I wouldve picked him in melee if I could have :)

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Okay, lets do this

Melee
  • tbh I didn't really play Melee. However I do remember playing with my cousin once or twice. When I did I'd play :mariomelee: Mario and :icsmelee: Ice Climbers because they were the characters from the two most relevant games of my childhood, Super Mario Bros. and Ice Climber.
  • As you can guess I didn't know any competitive, in fact I was totally garbage. I barely knew how to attack, I didn't even know about special moves.

Brawl
  • A few years later a friend of mine reminded me that Smash existed. He told me Brawl had even more stuff than Melee. So obviously I went out and got it. This is where I learned to competently Smash.
  • I moved around the cast, going from :lucas:Lucas to :pit:Pit to :pt: Pokémon Trainer to :rob:ROB and a bunch of others, but I eventually settled back at :popo:Ice Climbers. I played a bit of :mario2: Mario too but I never seriously considered maining him.
  • Over time Brawl just got boring. I started to realize how slow it was. I tried to look up any advanced techniques Brawl might hold, and I found the ICs chain grab. Holy ****
  • That chain grab affected my Smash career forever. You don't know how much time I put into getting that **** down. I was still a very garbage player despite being competent and this was my first big challenge. Eventually I could pull it off. But after that, Brawl wasn't fun again. I pretty much just made the game 10x more boring.
  • With no real people to play against most of the time, Brawl died for me. I would look for substitutes on the internet......

SSF2
  • Despite being a fangame, this game is essential to my advancement as a player.
  • I came in on v0.7, and this version just so happened to have a certain fox that was especially broken.....
  • I'm talking about Tails of course. That ***** was broken as all hell. But with him I learned a lot of Smash strategy I totally skipped over in Brawl. DDing and SHing and stuff. They nerfed him so hard lol.
  • While this game didn't turn me into a competitive Smasher over night, I met a lot of people through the community who showed me competitive Melee videos, including the legendary Wombo Combo.
  • They happened to play a certain mod that had fast gameplay and only required Brawl and an SD Card.

Project M
  • I didn't play right away, but I did keep an eye on it. I'd watch tournaments and read about things on the website. One of the aforementioned friends I met through Flash 2, RedSP, was a really good :ness2:Ness. Seeing how good he was kind of pushed me to finally get an SD Card and download PM.
  • ....However I decided to wait until 3.0 once I saw the :roypm:Roy trailer, because that was hype as ****, and I didn't want to play a version without Roy with all my Roy hype. And besides, my :popo: Icies weren't added yet. I was hoping they'd get in 3.0 and luckily they were. I had no excuse once 3.0 launched.
  • PM was everything I'd hoped. It was weird adjusting at first, but I did enjoy it ultimately. Along with :popo:Icies I also tried out :mario2:Mario :lucario: Lucario :dk2:DK and :warioc:Wario. I obviously tested out :roypm:Roy and :mewtwopm:Mewtwo because I'd never played them in my time with Melee, new experiences and such.
  • Somehow I ended up with none of them and decided to main :charizard:Charizard. An odd choice for me, considering he is literally my least favorite Pokémon. I dunno. I just went on wifi with my Smashboards homies and picked Zard randomly. I won, surprisingly, considering I was the worst player there. After that, I just decided to try seriously playing Zard, and I really enjoyed it. There's so much I love about him. UpB, SideB, DownB, Glide Attack, Nair, Fair, Dtilt, Jab, Usmash, Dsmash, etc. His weight and fall speed feel perfect to me. I can't describe it. It's just so fun. With Zard I've really advanced my competitive understanding.
  • I don't really have a secondary, I'm way too rusty with PM Icies, even tho I do think PM Icies are the best Icies to date. Maybe Zard has spoiled me. I've done okay with :roypm:Roy :dedede:Dedede :metaknight:Meta Knight :mario2:Mario :luigi2:Luigi :sheik:Sheik and :pikachu2:Pikachu. I don't know if I'd ever use any of them in a competitive setting tho.
There's my boring story

YaBoy

Smash Cadet
Smash64: ::fox64::falcon64: I think every one and their sisters played captain falcon at one point or another in smash 64. no one knew who he was and he had falcon punch. I played fox mostly tho, he had a pistol. pew pew

Melee::zeldamelee: OoT was my favorite game for a really long time and sheik is clearly the best character from it, so when melee came out it was less "Super smash bros melee" and more "super sheik fighting simulator" for me. I dont think I played another character until i ended up picking up :marthmelee:cause of all my friends playing falco and fox. We never really played super competitively but we had an idea of what was going on with the competitive scene and liked to pretend we were better than we were.

Brawl::luigi2:I never took brawl seriously, so i usually ended up playing luigi cause hes the funniest character. Ended up becoming a big running joke with my friends and i. Brawl-uig will always have a place in my heart.

Project M: I have the most competitive experience with project m. IT started off real similar to my melee experience: I played shiek until my partner started whoring out falco, so I switched to marth. when 3.0 came out i picked up :falcon: until I inevitably switched to my main boy: :roypm: and I've been playing him pretty much ever since. I love how he's a basically a mix of captain falcon and Marth, and his play style and combo game is just fun. Once i picked up Roy my smash life went into over drive. I started being able to apply the fundamentals that I had learnt on Falcon//Marth but didnt really know what to do with. I got SHFFLing down in like a game and a half. Roy's my boy and I owe all of my growth as a player to him. Lately I've been trying to expand into :wolf: and :fox:. Wolf has one of the coolest combo games in PM in my opinion, and wolf-flash is just mad hype. Honestly I only picked up fox because the number of people around me who play has diminished, and fox is one of those characters that you can practice without a partner just cause of the sheer number of technology he has.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Started out in Brawl, first picked Pit (when playing casually still), then Ike and finally Marth. When I started playing more serious I saw that MK is freakin' good and he became my secondary. In Brawl, everyone was playing MK though so Marth is my main. I also picked up Falco, Toon Link and a few others but those are at best secondaries.
In Project M, I started out with Marth and a "cloud" of characters I played a little bit constantly changing. Eventually Marth is a bit overexplored bcz Melee so I started to main MK too. Toon Link is a kind of weird case I never really practice him but it seems he is intuitively one of my best characters, probably my strongest secondaries.
In the last weeks I started learning a few of the characters in the "cloud", for example the Melee top tiers because you gotta know how to deal with them. My aim is to have everyone on a level where I could bash average players still because it is the best method of learning matchups aside from microsituational analysis. Most really good players lose because of matchup inexperience in PM, and as I am getting better I don't want to accumulate a MU knowledge deficite.
I also got more of a MK main recently, probably I would go MK on 8 and Marth on 6 stages (with Apex ruleset) right now. I am also planning on specific stage counterpick characters (Fox for Yoshis Island and Skyloft, Ike on Green Hill Zone).
I will have to wait and see if I would main potential new characters, but I could imagine that.

DeFacto227

Smash Rookie
First post, hooray!

Narrative:
Melee was my first Smash game, I was introduced to it at a friend's house and was immediately hooked. To give you a sense of how bad we all were, I found great success by picking Fox and just firefoxing back and forth repeatedly until someone got knocked off the stage. I got a Gamecube and SSBM for Christmas soon after and spent most of middle school and high school practicing against progressively more difficult CPUs. This practice alone was enough for me to wreck my friends on the rare occasion that I played another human being, and when I went off to college I thought that I was pretty hot s*** with my Marth.

I was quickly disabused of that notion a few weeks in when a hallmate effortlessly 4-stocked me with a wavedashing, L-cancelling, dash dancing Ganondorf. I'm a naturally competitive person and I was already watching competitive Starcraft (my other great gaming love), so I started studying pro videos and learning the basic Melee tech. I'm still not very good, but at least I know enough to understand how far I have to go!

SSB64
Main: :kirby64:
Alts: None

The same hallmate who 4-stocked me in Melee brought his N64 to school, which was my introduction to the game that started it all. I had never owned an N64 as a kid so I ended up sticking with Kirby and annoying the ever-loving crap out of everyone by up-tilting people multiple times in a row. I was and am terrible at the game, but it's fun!

SSBM
Main: :marthmelee:
Alts: :falconmelee::linkmelee:

Ahh, Marth. I spent years beating up on lvl 9 Bowsers with him. When I started actually trying to improve at the game, I was awed by videos of Ken and M2K zipping around the stage and comboing people to oblivion. Honestly in more recent years I'm playing Falcon more and more, though. I'm terrible with him (my L-cancels are too inconsistent) but nothing in any game of this franchise compares to a landed knee followed by a taunt.

SSBB
Main: :dk2:
Alts: :marth::ike::falco::snake:

I actually picked up Brawl the latter half of high school, and made more of an effort than I did with Melee to figure out the "right" way to play the characters. I practiced chain grabs with Falco and DACUS with Snake. But DK was hands down my favorite member of the cast, and despite the fact that these days I find Brawl to be a little too slow to hold my attention, SSBB DK will always hold a special place in my heart with his beautiful bair and massively ranged tilts.

SSBPM:

TBD, I get my 2GB SD card in the mail today!

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
Never played much 64 so no real story there.

Melee::falcomelee:
After I picked up melee I instantly fell in love with the game and so did a few of my friends. I was only 12 years old at the time(2006) and my friends who were a little bit older always beat me. I wanted to beat them so bad I played the game almost religiously. I picked up falco because he was the most fun to me and practiced vs level 9 CPUs constantly and vs my friends whenever I could. Eventually I finally got better than my friends to where only one of them could beat me and he played quite a bit as well. We knew there was a competitive scene for melee but we didn't follow it that much so we didn't practice much tech.

Brawl::lucario:
Secondary::ike::falco:
Once Brawl hit the stores I got my hands on the game ASAP. I took the time to practice the new characters and I liked lucario and ike the best. It became very clear that ike was not very good at higher levels of play and falco, while still fun, I didn't like him as much as he was in melee so I stuck with lucario as my main. At this point I followed the competitive scene a little bit more and I decided to enter some online tournaments on a website that I no longer remember the name of. I did fairly well. I didn't win any of them but I had fun meeting new people and playing against them. After a while i decided that I had my good fun time with Brawl and decided to move on to other games like starcraft 2, smite, several mmos, etc. I didn't leave Brawl because I didn't like the game anymore, I just felt that it was time to move on.

Project M::ike:
Secondary::ivysaur::warioc:
Fast forward to 2014 after several years of playing other games competitively or semi-competitively I hear about Project M. I looked up some gameplay and was very intrigued with what I saw. After downloading it to my sd card and starting it up I instantly fell in love! The only thing I don't like about Project M is that they made lucario way too different to the point that I don't even recognize him from his Brawl counterpart that I loved. However ike is more fun than ever! With the changes to his QD and the fact that you can jump cancel out of it gives ike many more options that he didn't have before! I also enjoy the play style of ivy and I much prefer wario's new side b compared to his bike and while falco is much more like his melee version for some reason I can't seem to be good with him anymore, he just feels different I can't quite explain it. I am still trying to get the hang of the melee tech that I never got around to learning back in my melee days. To my knowledge there isn't much of a local PM scene but thankfully I was able to drag a couple of my friends into PM with me so I got some decent practice here. Hopefully I can come over to a PM tournament sometime and play against some new people! :D

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
:ness64:

:nessmelee: :mewtwomelee:

:ness2: :lucas: :mewtwopm:
I love Earth Bound, so when I started playing Melee I instinctively went for Ness. I played him so much that I knew the character well enough and was used to his playstyle, so it just sort of transferred through to Brawl. As well as backwards when I play 64 (Rarely) I picked up M2 at some point in Melee, despite him being god awful. Ness and Mewtwo are both bottom tier, accurately representing my young age at which I chose to main them. (Hence Psykid) Lucas came naturally in Brawl, being a near-clone to Ness. And then all 3 of my Melee and Brawl mains I took the time to learn in Project M.

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
:grin:In chronological order:

Melee (2003)
Main: :pikachumelee:
Secondary: :mewtwomelee:
Reasoning:
I was super casual and scrubby at the time and I really liked Pokémon at the time.

Brawl (2008)
Secondary: :snake:
Reasoning:
I was still pretty casual at the time and I always liked characters that were heavy and can kill early in smash games and I recognized Snake from MGS which was one of my favorite PlayStation games and I just loved how different Snake was compared to the rest of the cast. I fell in love with Ike just because he was the perfect contrast to Marth and he felt so different than any other character in the game. I played him so much that one of my friends let me borrow his copy of FE: Path of Radiance and FE: Radiant Dawn and I fell in love with Fire Emblem and Ike's story almost instantly. I was still really bad at the game during this time (and I still am :grin:).

Melee (November 2014-present)
Main::marthmelee:
Secondary: :falcomelee::ganondorfmelee:
Reasoning:
It was Fall semester during my Sophomore year in college and there is a pretty big Melee presence in our club office. Now I never really put much time into fighting games before that, the only fighting game I ever played remotely seriously was Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, I have however played multiple FPS titles competitively including Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 & 2, Halo 2 & 3, Call of Duty 3 - BLOPS, and BF 2142 - BC 2. FPS titles to this stay are still very near to my heart and I remember all the countless hours I have poured into them to get really good at competitive FPS, so when I heard about competitive Smash I was intrigued but convinced myself that I didn't have enough time to dedicate to it as I was (and still am) studying to become a Game Designer and Game Programmer. Then one day one of my college buddies told me that he had an idea for a fighting game that he wanted to do, I had no idea what mechanics competitive players really cared about in fighting games and the only thing close to a fighting game that I can get my hands on was Smash. So I decided I would start playing Smash competitively in order to understand the different mechanics that made the game so enjoyable to play.

I ended up getting sucked into competitive play pretty quickly and picked up Marth because he was the closest thing I could get to Ike without playing Brawl which I had no interest in going back to at the time. Marth was much quicker than Ike and had much more fluidity to him than Ike did in Brawl which was nice but he still wasn't as powerful and as punishing as Ike or as clever and frustrating as Snake. So then I switched to Falco for a while and learned how to wavedash, l-cancel, waveland, ledgehop laser, SH laser, SFFL, etc. and I started to be able to beat some of my friends in Smash which was very exciting. Then I went over to Ganon for a short while to try and recapture that Ike power but wasn't the same so I settled back at Marth. And there I stayed for a while until...

Project M (February 2014 - present)
Secondary: :snake:
Reasoning:
I was introduced to my favorite title in the series, Project M which put Melee-like physics (which I enjoy greatly) and introduced it to the Brawl roster. I started out playing Ike in Version 3.0 and I fell in love all over again, I loved his utility out of QD, I loved his ability to control space, and his power it was a dream come true. I sunk a lot of time working on perfecting my game with Ike and I ended up going to my first tournament which was really exciting. Since then I have revisited Snake and worked on him to get him really respectable although not quite ready for tournament yet, and I have gone to as many PM tournaments I could possibly find in my area where I was exposed to so many different play styles and I just had a blast just to play PM even if I completely sucked (finishing 25th) or did amazing (finishing 5th) I still enjoyed every tournament I have been to and PM has earned a special spot in my heart right next to Rainbow Six and Battlefield :grin:.

Magnum Dragon

Smash Rookie
SSB: :kirby64: NO EXCEPTIONS

SSBM:
Main: :kirbymelee: Why? Because my brother played him. It wasn't until years later that I realized he was total garbage.
Second: :gw: Why? Because I thought he was cool. And he was different and I'm a hipster.

SSBB/PM:
Main: :kirby2:Why change it now?
Second: :sonic:Gotta go fyest

SSB4:
Main: :kirby2: Never gonna change.
Second: :sonic: Be loyal to yo playas and they will be loyal to you.
(and then you'll eventually get a game where they're top tier)

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
SSB
Main::falcon64:
Second: :pikachu64:
Other Top Choices: :link64::mario64::samus64:
Exp: Once I had all the characters and got to play around, I decided that I really liked CFalc's speed and general hamminess and calling his attacks, and there was always something satisfying about landing a Falcon Punch. Pikachu was my go-to for Classic Mode, though, and the only one I managed to beat VHard with without dying. The rest were just my next most played for whatever reason.

SSBM
Main::marthmelee:
Second: :falconmelee:
Other Top Choices: :drmario::linkmelee::roymelee:
Exp: Initially I was a Doc main, since that was one of my favorite puzzle games on the NES and I thought it was cool that they made him playable. Then we unlocked these sword dudes from this game we'd never heard of, and I picked the fiery one while my brother picked the "icy" one (by comparison). Then we realized our playstyles suited the other one's character, and traded, and Marth has been my main main ever since (Fire Emblem also became my favorite game series when it finally hit Merican shores). CFalc carried over from 64, and the rest were just characters I felt I was particularly good with at the time.

SSBB
Main::marth:
Second: :ness2:
Other Top Choices: :falcon::gw::ike:
Exp: Marth as always, and in this game PK Flash just seemed exceptionally satisfying to land. CFalc's general weakness lowered him on my list, but I still used him a lot. G&W was fun to roll numbers on, and Ike is FE and thus high priority.

PM
Main::marth:
Second: :roypm:
Other Top Choices: :ike::ness2::lucas:
Exp: Marth again, and now that Roy's up there on the usefulness, he returns to favor. Ike as well, along with the Motherlings. Lucas for his newfound combo game, and Ness for his buffs over Brawl. Sadly, I seem to have lost most of my high-speed Falcon skill by this point, though I intend to re-learn him.

SmashThrU
Main: :4marth:
Second: :4megaman:
Other Top Choices: :4palutena::4myfriends::4littlemac:
Exp: Marth is obligatory, and I've been wanting X in Smash for ages (so I'll settle for Mega). Palutena seems to be the non-sword-wielding-Fire-Emblem character I've always wanted, even if she isn't from Fire Emblem. Ike will return as a pick for me, and I'm excited to see Mac's gameplay. Of course, depending on any pending character reveals, this could change quickly.

p4nd4p4nd4p4nd4p4nd4

Smash Cadet
NNID
le-harlz
3DS FC
4227-0851-7533
Smash 64
Main: :mario64:
Secondaries: (Then) :pikachu64::kirby64: (Now) :luigi64:
We enter an age where favoritism rules the land over actual skill. Back in the day when I first discovered Smash 64, the only characters I could recognize were DK, Pikachu, and the Mario characters, so naturally, they were whom I played the most. I spend lots of time playing the other characters for the fun of it and I was filled to the brim with an over active imagination and would play scenario battles against computer players and have fun with that. I was a sheltered child who didn't have much knowledge of the outside world and didn't even know Melee was a thing til my father let me see the outside world and I actually witnessed Melee in person and quickly forgot its existence. So competitive play never really became a thing until my late teens.
I now play Mario and Luigi in the N64 version mostly because of having an a currently established thing with the Mario Bros as you'll see later on in this history of Smash.

Melee
Mains: (Then): :falcomelee: (Now)::drmario::peachmelee:
Secondary: (Then): :132: (Now)::nessmelee:
We enter the phase where I am just really bad at games. Once I discovered Melee, I was thrilled to see BOWSER WAS A CHARACTER OMG but quickly dropped playing as him because "meh". I quickly discovered Falco's meteor smash after unlocking him and become the bane of all about 5 of my friend's existence who played the game with me. Other than that, I had no idea what the hell I was doing and played for fun. That all changed years later when I started playing melee again with competitive players. By then I was playing Peach in Brawl and stunning the casuals who didn't know how much of a power house was, so I could end up doing mediocre at best against the competitive melee crowd. My mains from Project M later carried over with Ness and Mario.

Brawl
Mains: (Then): :dedede::snake: (Now): :peach:
Secondary: (Now): :snake:
We enter the weeb phase. Brawl was when I first managed to start playing against people outside of my normal friend circles and was actually the first game I fought in a tournament with (The best buy release tourny, where I embarrassed myself by throwing Mario's final smash in the wrong direction). Later on, Ikkicon V to be precise, after the year of deep transition I had undergone realizing Dedede and Snake were far too slow and heavy to keep me going against the regular crowd and that Peach was too under looked NOT to be played, I went on to do fairly well, amazing casuals and getting nods of approval from the more competitive players. Slowly, My peach game grew old as did Brawl, and it was time for a new challenge...

PROJECT M
Mains: :4mario::ness2:
Secondaries: :snake::4zss::4myfriends::4diddy::4peach:
We enter the new age of Smash. It was time to accumulate everything I had learned and learn far more. I started taking what I had learned from playing new fighting games and adapting it into Smash, creating new strategies and play styles, getting more hyped, getting more social and learning more from my peers.
Currently, I'm pretty cemented on Mario and Ness, but my 5 secondaries have their place ready for action whenever I decide to play as them.

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?
My stupid ass story.

2006-2007, Melee:
:zeldamelee::sheikmelee:

The reason being is that I liked how Sheik looked, and I was really into the whole ninja craze at the time. I also just picked up the Zelda series for the first time, so I started to play as Zelda. At the time, nobody in my neighborhood would play any of the girl characters, so I thought it would be fun to pick one up. I found Peach way too hard to control, so I just trained with Zelda.

2008-2011, Melee:
:linkmelee::younglinkmelee:

At this point in my life, I just recently moved to Tennessee and I actually found somebody to play the game with me. Still to that point, I loved the game but I still played it very casually. I was a HUGE Zelda fan at that time, so picking up the Link duo seemed appropriate. Also, spamming down-air was a sure way to victory against casuals like my friends.

2012-20xx, Melee:
:marthmelee::sheikmelee::icsmelee:

Finally we come to the part of my character story where I find out about the competitive scene. I looked for characters that you didn't have to be Mango or M2K to pull off, so I picked Marth. After this, I finally got good enough to place top 5 at locals, so I decided to take my career a step further by picking 2 secondaries for Marth's worst match-ups, Sheik and Jigglypuff.

2013-20xx, Project M:
:marth::zelda:

I decided to use my best character in Melee and my favorite character in Melee. Now that Zelda didn't suck ****, I could finally set out to actually using her effectively.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
I didn't play a lot of Smash 64, but I'll say mine anyway.
Mains: :luigi64::kirby64:
Secondary: :jigglypuff64:
Other choices: :samus64::link64:

:luigi64:- Let's face it, everybody loved the Mario franchise from a young age and if you're the younger sibling like myself, you'll probably prefer Luigi. :awesome: Plus Luigi was the only character I really knew (besides Mario and Pikachu but they were meh for me).
:kirby64:- Over the years of playing Smash I began to try out every other character, and Kirby was my favourite overall. Mainly because of his unique ability to 'fly'.
:jigglypuff64:- This brings me to Jigglypuff. I chose Jigglypuff because of the flying ability also.
:samus64:- After I had found out that Samus was the only confirmed female character in the game, this made me choose her for more variety.
:link64:- My brother was and still is absolutely obsessed with The Legend of Zelda, thus forcing him to choose Link everytime we played Smash. He got me into TLoZ after a while, so I picked Link from time to time.

Melee was my childhood in a nutshell, since it was probably the first video game I ever played properly.
Mains: :zeldamelee::sheikmelee:
Secondaries: :kirbymelee::luigimelee:
Other choices: :pichumelee::peachmelee:
:zeldamelee::sheikmelee:-
I always will favour Zelda and Sheik over any other character in the Smash franchise. After watching my brother play Ocarina of Time countless times, I had picked picked out one of my favourite Nintendo characters to date, which was Sheik. He was shrouded in mystery, which made me more and more interested in him. When I started playing Melee, I was disappointed to not see Sheik on the character select screen. But I saw Zelda and started playing as her. And when I learnt how to transform, I was over the moon.
:kirbymelee::luigimelee:- I was glad to see these two return in Melee, but they were moved to my secondary list due to Zelda and Sheik being my mains instead.
:pichumelee:- Pichu was adorable. Enough said. :p
:peachmelee:- I don't even know why I used Peach from time to time. The Smash franchise made her look awesome. #fryingpan4lyf

Brawl was definately the Smash game I played the most. It would've been Melee, but my copies kept breaking. :c
Main: :sheilda:
Secondaries: :kirby2::luigi2::peach:
Other choices: :gw::falco:
:sheilda:-
They will never be replaced. <3
:kirby2::luigi2:- ^ditto
:peach:- I began to use Peach a lot more when I found out that she was quite popular among the Smash community. I got good with her and kicked butt. No one messes with the frying pan.
:gw:- Why wouldn't you use Game & Watch? He isn't a main, but damn he is fun to use with all of his attacks. By far one of the most unique Smash characters ever.
:falco:- To be honest, I only started to use Falco quite recently. He is more than just a clone in Brawl, since his moveset is much different compared to what it was in Melee.

Project M took me forever to get it to work properly. But my characters didn't change much.
Mains: :zelda::sheik:
Secondaries: :peach::kirby2::luigi2:
Other choices: :zerosuitsamus::ivysaur:
:peach:-
When I saw Peach's evil queen costume I used her more than Kirby and Luigi. Plus I thought she was much better to use in general.
:zerosuitsamus::ivysaur:- I really liked how Zero Suit Samus and Ivysaur had their own slots on the character select screen. Mainly because I prefered to use Zero Suit Samus over regular Samus and Ivysaur over Squirtle and Charizard.

To conclude this long list, I'd like to put together my character preferences for the upcoming Smash game.
Mains: :4zelda::4sheik:
Secondaries: :4kirby::4villager::rosalina::4luigi::4peach:
Other choices: :4greninja::4pacman::4mii:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
The first time a played smash was when my cousins brought up the 64 version to my Grandma's. I played as Mario (for some reason I was always him in Mario Party 2...). As we played it more, I moved over to Link (fun story: CPU 9 was the most difficult challenge, even if we all spammed boomarang's on the same team...).

When Melee came along, I mainly stuck with Young Link, with a little bit of Roy/Ness, also some Shiek (we thought roy was soooo much better then Marth, I mean, he had fire...).

In Brawl, I was stuck with Lucas until Ness came back. I also picked up Shiek because, like most, we played with items and my bro was adept at getting the smash ball with Snake and I needed the agility and tricky movement to escape with my life. As I began to become bored with my current mains, I began looking up strategies to try and beat my brother (he won't play with me anymore, cuz i'm was too obssessed...). I was initially surprised that people like Olimar, Diddy, and Icies were top tier in the game cuz they sucked (mainly Oli) in our eyes. I began to pick up Pikachu, but my friends thought he was cheap (thunder too good, they say, all I do was spam Dsmash they say, Pikachu too lame they say). After that point, I essentially thought I was going to main every single character (not some, like Mario, but other than that, pretty much everybody). I got bored of them and moved on. I thought P:M would be different, but the same has happened. I am currently on Pikachu, Meta Knight, Ike, Shiek, Ganon, Samus (that alt looks way to good to ignore), and Falcon (he's too much fun).

Top Bottom