• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Reaction to the Umbra Witch's Reveal?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I literally screamed with joy and paused the video (I saw it late, accidentally took a nap at the worst possible time, since I forgot about the Direct.) After I got over that, I started to laugh like a maniac when I was watching her gameplay. Time to replay the Bayonetta games.

Last edited:

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
So much screaming. Too much hyperventilating.

All of me in a nutshell.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I like how every time a character is revealed they are "overpowered" and everyone is going to main them. Don't people ever learn?
I'm going to main Bayonetta because I love the **** out of her series, and her combo mechanic is very appealing to me.

But yes, you have a point. Most people see a character's trailer, see them kicking ass (because they have to, wouldn't be a very interesting trailer if the character was getting destroyed throughout the whole thing), and immediately go "[insert character here] is overpowered, day 1 main, plz nerf."

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I was in a Skype call with my friends and was already reeling from the Corrin reveal as I was pretty upset that we got that character over Inklings. My expectations were rock bottom for the final reveal and when Pit showed up with Palutena VA I was convinced it was a Kid Icarus character rounding things out which made me kind of throw up my hands and complain to my friends again. I heard a female VA at the time but since I was too busy running my mouth I could discern the accent and assumed it was Medusa or something.

Then I notice Love Is Blue on those all too familiar heels (since my stream was a bit choppy at the time) and I immediately start screaming and hyperventilating. I'm pretty sure I was almost close to passing out for a bit because holy **** I did not expect this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFLB4vH_gHg

Imagine this video extended over two minutes of footage and me just trying to recover myself after the actual trailer happened.

Up until this point I never got any Smash 4 characters that I actually wanted. Bayonetta is pretty much one of my all time favorite characters but I never gunned for her because I literally thought it was impossible. And lo and behold, Sakurai blows my ****ing socks off for the finale.

Last edited:

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
I like how every time a character is revealed they are "overpowered" and everyone is going to main them. Don't people ever learn?
I never thought anyone was all high and mighty to begin with. They're just different, that's all.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I'll be honest, I wasn't really happy about the inclusion, but I'm not going to let it bother me too much. Truth be told, I'm happy for you guys, but I won't deny that I'd prefer another character. You guys enjoy Bayonetta all you'd like! You won the ballot fair and square :)

I suppose you'll get your chance another day, Inkling... :*(

Dan

Smash Lord
Yo come on, let people be hype. I for one actually voted for her so I will main her.
I actually didn't mean to post that in this thread; I just have so many tabs open after the hype train hit the sun. Didn't mean to rain on anybody's parade.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I was EXTREMELY hyped when I saw her while I took part in Etika's live stream for the final presentation!

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Let's see now. I first felt utter shock. I heard of the character, but knew nothing else. The. I felt amusement because she looks so out of place. It's just like what happened to Snake.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
my main concern is the rating of the game and some parent's reaction to it I mean not that It'll effect me but this thought just won't leave my mind other than that the presentation was kind of meh for me sorry :/ it does not mean it's bad it's good i do like her very combo heaviness I love that kind of gameplay.

Dan

Smash Lord
Here's the thing: :4bayonetta: is the target for a lot of flak right now, which is unfortunate for her fans. Basically any character in this spot would be receiving the same. I personally don't feel like Wolf at all deserved the final spot. A returning clone/semi-clone? I would've rather seen any unique newcomer. Is he worthy of a spot in the game? Yes, but this final character was so damn hyped, even by Sakurai himself, that it should've been Jesus Christ, Miyamoto or Sakurai himself.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Not even close to what I wanted, but I went into this direct today understanding just how freakin' awesome our roster was already, so hey the more the merrier as long as they're fun

I still felt the salt hit hard when I saw her. But it don't matter. Those games are popular (obviously) and when Bayonetta 2 was announced wii u exclusive everyone was already chanting this anyway

SO. I sat down and watched her moveset. Totally dope. I don't think I'll play her very much but she's got one of the most outlandish movesets in smash, and harkons to other fighter games with ridiculously over the top attacks.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Completely awestruck and shocked.

I used to defend Bayonetta, I thought she was a definite possibility for a long time.

The argument against 3rd parties that aren't iconic like Megaman are dead, but not with Shovel Knight, ironically.

I'm very excited for this character and I genuinely plan to main her once she comes out. She looks absolutely amazing.

Need to play her games first though :p

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
my main concern is the rating of the game and some parent's reaction to it I mean not that It'll effect me but this thought just won't leave my mind other than that the presentation was kind of meh for me sorry :/ it does not mean it's bad it's good i do like her very combo heaviness I love that kind of gameplay.
This was my thing too. Here's a game marketed toward children, especially during the holiday season, and here's a very sexual character, that you can see half of her bare, ehrm, butt. And we thought the bikini-clad ZSS was racy?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This was my thing too. Here's a game marketed toward children, especially during the holiday season, and here's a very sexual character, that you can see half of her bare, ehrm, butt. And we thought the bikini-clad ZSS was racy?
Hey, at least it's better than her source material. In Smash, when she uses hair attacks, she gets some sort of... uh... hair... bikini? But in Bayonetta, she's just be full-on nude, with only a swirl of hair covering her naughty bits.

Luminario

Smash Lord
When Pit and Palutena were talking I was prepared for Medusa to pop up on the screen. Then someone spoke with an english accent and I thought "oh god is it gonna be Elma or whatever" then our queen jumps down from the sky and I'm like

Not at all who I expected but I am SO happy she got in. She's gonna be right next to Peach as my main.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I guess you're forgetting the Shulk alt that is only a pair of small swim trunks.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
When Pit and Palutena were talking I was prepared for Medusa to pop up on the screen. Then someone spoke with an english accent and I thought "oh god is it gonna be Elma or whatever" then our queen jumps down from the sky and I'm like

Not at all who I expected but I am SO happy she got in. She's gonna be right next to Peach as my main.
Elma doesn't have a British accent lol

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
Any hint of excitement I had was immediately crushed when I realized how ridiculous she is. How is this character supposed to be balanced properly? We have a reasonably balanced competitive fighter, and now for the last patch of DLC we get this?

I honestly feel like this is going to ruin things.
Dude, look at the ridiculous range of her smashes. Most likely they're going to be like Palutena's usmash, hyped over it's range in the trailer but in practicality the excessive lab makes it sucky. Also I highly doubt Bay could be better than Sheik, as long as the characters they add are close to or almost equal to Sheik but not better than her the game will be more and more balanced. And remember, the trailer stressed the amount of start up on her combo moves, similar to zss' slow grab which is very reactable.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
After realized who it was, I screamed and laughed and loved it so much. The only DLC character I knew I wanted before the moment they were revealed.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
At first i expected Sephiroth for some reason because Angel vs One Winged Angel. lol

But then i heard the 'voice' of one of my favorite characters of all time.

Then i went crazy from the hype.

_SoRa_

Smash Cadet
I was so hyped!! I voted for her in the ballot! she is awesome!
Hype! Hype! Hypeee!!

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
For a split second I thought that was Medusa's voice. Then I saw jump down and proceeded to rock back in forth in utter shock that my number 1 character actually won the ballot and got in Smash

I also forgot to study for midterms because of it but at this point I don't really care.:4bayonetta:

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Honestly, most parents aren't going to notice this until Feb. So holiday sales will be fine. And even then, big whoop. Parents get mad, it causes some mild uproar, if any, and we all live on with our lives.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Eh, I'll be honest, I wasn't really happy about the inclusion, but I'm not going to let it bother me too much. Truth be told, I'm happy for you guys, but I won't deny that I'd prefer another character. You guys enjoy Bayonetta all you'd like! You won the ballot fair and square :)

I suppose you'll get your chance another day, Inkling... :*(
This is my feels on the matter. I'm really bummed she got in over 1st-party characters I thought were more interesting (i.e. more "deserving") like K. Rool, Isaac, etc.
But I have Cloud, who a lot of other players aren't hyped over, so it's kinda like a fair trade, y'know?
Congratulations, everyone who's excited for her. Hope the two-month wait doesn't kill you all, heh. See you all on the battlefield, Fusion Sword in hand.

EDIT: OH! One other thing! I'm really mad that her stage got all sorts of music and the Midgar stage only got TWO. Like, SERIOUSLY?? Even Suzuku Castle got twice as many!

Last edited:

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I was pissed.

I was all.

Seriously? How could you?

How could you not get fly me to the moon for that trailer (and the game)? Wonder why they didn't get the song.

A bit disappointed Medusa didn't also make it, and that's it for dlc. Felt like the ballot was a little late. Thought we'd get a few more characters from it. I hope its not a long wait till the next smash. Like ditch the 3ds, and just build onto the wii u version for smash 4. Add in all the missing vets and some of the top ballot winners. Fans would be happy and they get to keep making amiibos.

But whatever Bayonneta is amazing I voted for her and I'm excited for her amiibo.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
still don't see how this was the most popular pick. But eh whatever, the character looks interesting. That's really the most I can say.
What a lot of people don't realize is that she was the #1 pick out of all the realizable characters. (There is an asterisk at the very bottom right hand corner of the screen when they showed off the #1 Worldwide character that said Among Realizable Characters.) So there may have been characters who may have outranked her popularity wise, but the dev team couldn't figure out how to make them as a character, which is why she was chosen in the end.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
What a lot of people don't realize is that she was the #1 pick out of all the realizable characters. (There is an asterisk at the very bottom right hand corner of the screen when they showed off the #1 Worldwide character that said Among Realizable Characters.) So there may have been characters who may have outranked her popularity wise, but the dev team couldn't figure out how to make them as a character, which is why she was chosen in the end.
Ridley, Goku, Shrek, Viewtiful Joe, etc.
I kid, jk, leaving now.

Top Bottom