• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Reaction to Duck Hunt Dog in Smash 4

children's_novel

Smash Rookie
Let's be honest here: Who really expected a character such as the Duck Hunt Dog to be in Smash 4? I was really surprised when I heard about it at first, but after thinking about it, we did have announcements for characters such as Wii Fit Trainer and Pac Man in the past, so I guess I wasn't surprised at the same time. Anyways, what was your reaction to this?

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
Well, they did have ROB in Brawl. (Still trying to figure that out, btw :dizzy:)
And Ice Climbers in Melee.
And Squirtle.
So I guess this is the new novelty character.

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
When the roster leak first happened, I took it with a grain of salt. Mainly because of Dr. Mario and Dark Pit being separate characters, it seemed odd to me at first.

But then, when I realized Duck Hunt was on the roster, I became hopeful. I love the nonhuman/animal characters, and I could see Duck Hunt being a potential main. So the more I thought about the leak, the more I wished it to be true.

Then, I remembered what Sakurai said when Lucina was revealed. He said something along the lines of characters with even the slightest gameplay difference earn themselves their own slot on the roster. Dr. Mario was indeed slightly different from Mario in Melee, and I figured Dark Pit could have differences as well. So now I understood.

And, I also realized that the arguments about "Wario's missing a pupil" and "Mr. Game and Watch's hand is overlapping" were not true if you looked closely.

And at last, Shulk's reveal. The fact that his artwork matched up to the leak basically proved it (as if the leaked Bowser Jr. videos being taken down wasn't enough). Meaning Duck Hunt was real.
And the game coming out in Japan proved it even further with gameplay videos of the newcomers. Such as Duck Hunt.

Overall, I was really happy when the leak was shown to be true, simply because of Duck Hunt (and also Bowser Jr. plus the Koopaling alts, but that's another story). And when we got to see Duck Hunt's alts, I was pleasantly surprised as well.

So to sum it all up, Duck Hunt = YES YES YES YES! Even though I never played the game, I really liked the idea. (Maybe not playing the game is a good thing, though, since a large number of people who have played it hate the dog and his laugh...)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My reaction (after the leak was proven to be real) was pleasant surprise. I really like the idea of Duck Hunt (Dog) being a playable character in Smash, and it looks like he's going to be one of the more interesting characters this time around, so I'm sure he'll be a ton of fun. Plus he's cute. They did a great job redesigning him, I think. :4duckhunt:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
My reaction was negative because with the time they took to make Duck Hunt Dog, they could have made Mewtwo and put him in Smash 4. Maybe they could have even balanced him correctly this time.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
How i figured the leak was at first (when i thought it was fake)

But then more images came

I was like holy cow it may be real after all.

Then when i found out its real and duck hunt dog is playable

ITS HAPPENING!!!!!!!!:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

I mean i was so happy i diden't think the duck hunt dog even had a chance.

Duck hunt dog for smash 5 now.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I thought it was kind of cool that they made it, though I wasn't really excited mainly because of the leak.

When I first saw them in the leak (which at the time I thought was fake), I was like "hmm that would be kind of cool" (though nI still was skeptical of how his moveset would work). After more leak pics and actual game footage, I started to realize that Duck Hunt actually was going to be a character. When it was officially confirmed via the Japanese released, I was like "oh wow, he made it in." The leak pretty much killed the hype for me.

If I hadn't seen the leak, my reaction would be something like "OMG THAT'S SO COOL!"

Last edited:

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Do to his infamous laugh I thought he was a troll character and got worried cause I dislike jiggypuff and ice climbers, then I "saw" how he played and got excited as he played a interesting style like Mr. Game and Watch.

Now I want some kinda revival ala Pit cause turning a negative character into a good loved one would be amazing.

Dan

Smash Lord
I was actually more surprised by Bowser Jr., Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are self-explanatory, but with the addition of Bowser Jr., talk about an overload to the Mario franchise. I mean, DHD was pretty logical: G&W, ROB, DHD... I was still pretty shocked though.

Who will come next for the retro reps? Takamaru? He doesn't have the same cartoony feel as the other three, but he is the next logical pick. Maybe Sheriff, or Donkey Kong Jr.? That would be an awesome slap in the face to the K. Rool and Dixie supporters.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was actually more surprised by Bowser Jr., Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are self-explanatory, but with the addition of Bowser Jr., talk about an overload to the Mario franchise. I mean, DHD was pretty logical: G&W, ROB, DHD... I was still pretty shocked though.

Who will come next for the retro reps? Takamaru? He doesn't have the same cartoony feel as the other three, but he is the next logical pick. Maybe Sheriff, or Donkey Kong Jr.? That would be an awesome slap in the face to the K. Rool and Dixie supporters.
Takamaru is the next logical retro rep? People said the same thing for SSB4 and look how h ended up. And most people said DHD would never happen because he isn't logical and look what happened. BTW, I still think Takamaru will get in SSB5 but not as a retro rep (I think he will be revived with a new game).

IMO, Captain N is the next logical retro rep... and he does have the same cartoony feel but that is because he IS a cartoon character! He's gonna make people go "WTF? But he didn't originate in a video game!" I mean, how the hell are you gonna top the WTF-ness of DHD? :troll:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I wasn't super happy about it, but I've gotten used to it.

...Still don't particularly like Duck Hunt. Doesn't belong, somehow. I dunno, it's weird. Just sticks out weirdly. Not quite like Snake did but still.

Edit: I've not fully come to like Duck Hunt. I like the character a lot, I'm alright with them.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
LOVE IT!

I'm all for getting classic characters duking it out with modern-day Nintendo stars..
But Duck Hunt just blew my mind!

I mean, I supported them, but I didn't think he'd make it in! Now that he's in, I find him absolutely fascinating! Especially since he brings a plethora of zapper-game representation.

Duck Hunt is my 5th main out of 6.
He seems extremely fun. A tad campy... but I'm no stranger to camping. :rob:

Top Bottom