• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your R.O.B. character weaknesses?

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I'm new here but I have been using R.O.B. as my main since brawl. What characters do you guys feel that R.O.B. struggles with the most? For me I would have to say Rosalina & Luma since she seems to be able to counter everything R.O.B. has and also surprisingly Zelda for me since some of her moves are faster and have better reach. What about you?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
rosaluma is even in my opinion, it just feels tough because of her downb lol. i'll post some videos of my matches if i get a chance, i've mostly been playing pika vs my rosa friend lately

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Yoshi's a nightmare for me.
he can approach easily because of his air mobilty & he never ****ing dies.

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
I agree with this, yoshi's weight makes him very hard for ROB to kill. He can sit in his egg and wait out our projectiles :/. Also Yoshi's punish game is really strong.

Characters I have issues with as ROB
-Yoshi
-Rosaluma
-ZSS
-Sheik
I'm pretty sure the last two are just solid in general though.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Yoshi gives me a ton of problems. Even after getting used to R.O.B.'s slight range reduction (R.O.B. also lost air speed with Robo Burner and one of his best tools, f-air, isn't as good to land with now), I still find that Yoshi beats R.O.B. in close combat and juggles him very easily. His jab props R.O.B. up into the air where, at close range, he can't do anything beside the nerfed f-air (and Yoshi's nair is faster, so they almost always respond with that and proceed to lay on more pain). He can keep you in the air with eggs too and can beat most of your landing attacks with his anti-air standard attacks like up tilt and up smash. Speaking of the eggs, they neutralize Gyro, so trying to hit him with it from afar isn't an option.

When fighting Yoshi I try to stay grounded most of the time and spam R.O.B.'s jab and down and forward tilts but that only gets me so far because I have to get really close thanks to the aforementioned range nerf. I use weak laser too, and if I have Gyro charged enough I can follow up with that, but simple shielding beats both of those. And your anti-air isn't as affective as Yoshi's because he has a few extra frames of super armor on his double jump (there's armor even after the fluttering animation ends O_o) and can land safely with n-air or even d-air (and d-air is a free 20-something damage in most cases). Even if you shield, Yoshi can use his excellent air speed to distance himself just far enough so that your grab (which got a nerf in range) doesn't reach him. If you're still shielding or if you attempt a grab and miss (which is likely), he can grab you. :(

I really feel like I'll do better against Yoshi in the Wii U version, where pivot f-smashes will be easier to perform thanks to the C-stick. F-smash gets me out of a lot of trouble with Yoshi but if I time it wrong, he can powershield and punish with Yoshi Bomb or a grab. All the hard work you put into getting Yoshi off the stage rarely ever pays off thanks to his super armor and insane aerial mobility, which helps him through R.O.B.'s back air (another one of his main KO moves).

So help.

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi gives me a ton of problems. Even after getting used to R.O.B.'s slight range reduction (R.O.B. also lost air speed with Robo Burner and one of his best tools, f-air, isn't as good to land with now), I still find that Yoshi beats R.O.B. in close combat and juggles him very easily. His jab props R.O.B. up into the air where, at close range, he can't do anything beside the nerfed f-air (and Yoshi's nair is faster, so they almost always respond with that and proceed to lay on more pain). He can keep you in the air with eggs too and can beat most of your landing attacks with his anti-air standard attacks like up tilt and up smash. Speaking of the eggs, they neutralize Gyro, so trying to hit him with it from afar isn't an option.

When fighting Yoshi I try to stay grounded most of the time and spam R.O.B.'s jab and down and forward tilts but that only gets me so far because I have to get really close thanks to the aforementioned range nerf. I use weak laser too, and if I have Gyro charged enough I can follow up with that, but simple shielding beats both of those. And your anti-air isn't as affective as Yoshi's because he has a few extra frames of super armor on his double jump (there's armor even after the fluttering animation ends O_o) and can land safely with n-air or even d-air (and d-air is a free 20-something damage in most cases). Even if you shield, Yoshi can use his excellent air speed to distance himself just far enough so that your grab (which got a nerf in range) doesn't reach him. If you're still shielding or if you attempt a grab and miss (which is likely), he can grab you. :(

I really feel like I'll do better against Yoshi in the Wii U version, where pivot f-smashes will be easier to perform thanks to the C-stick. F-smash gets me out of a lot of trouble with Yoshi but if I time it wrong, he can powershield and punish with Yoshi Bomb or a grab. All the hard work you put into getting Yoshi off the stage rarely ever pays off thanks to his super armor and insane aerial mobility, which helps him through R.O.B.'s back air (another one of his main KO moves).

So help.
I really couldn't have said it better,

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I've been having a lot of trouble with link recently...

his projectile game is much better than ROBs, and he has better range when approaching due to zair and his sword aerials. I feel that the non chargable laser custom move might help out in this matchup, but I haven't gotten it yet...

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I agree with this, yoshi's weight makes him very hard for ROB to kill. He can sit in his egg and wait out our projectiles :/. Also Yoshi's punish game is really strong.

-Yoshi
-Rosaluma
-ZSS
-Sheik

So help.
Oh man how could I forget yoshi (:4yoshi:)...He is easily another annoying character for R.O.B. Honestly I just try to create distance with him with the gyro and laser in hopes that he will try to rush at me and screw up so I can go for the punish...but I will admit that it doesn't really work to well.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692

-Yoshi
-Rosaluma
-ZSS
-Sheik
Rosaluma, Sheik & Zamus are tough because they're pretty good in general, but yoshi easily gave me the most trouble out of them.
At least with Rosaluma you can laser through luma.

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
I find that super aggro Shiek/Captain Falcon gives me the most trouble. So fast. o.o

If I can't get my spacing and projectile game going, I struggle to really do anything.

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
One thing I will do is jump over yoshi air drop the gyro (input grab midair while holding a gyro you have picked up or caught) land beside them as they get hit and charge f-smash.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I would say Little Mac and Jigglypuff are difficult. Jigglypuff seems to be buffed so much with his air game. First I was able to fsmash a certain Jigglypuff but then I went against a better one who approaches too high for both the laser and fsmash, so he could beat literary everything that R.O.B. has while he is on the ground. In the air I could nair him now and then, I think R.O.B.'s nair might have more range than Puffs fair, but the timing is really hard.

At least they both die quickly especially Jigglypuff.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I've found that the reflector arm custom move option helps R.O.B. deal with Yoshi's egg spam. I've gotten slightly better at punishing his rolls (rolls in general) with f-smash too (there's a hitbox just behind R.O.B.'s head that's as strong as the sweetspot) and I've been using n-air, lasers, and gyro a lot more. For gyro I almost exclusively use it while grounded, though.

Does anyone else have problems with Dark Pit? He beats R.O.B. in the air and his Guardian Orbiters nullify all of R.O.B.'s projectiles. He also outranges R.O.B. so I struggle a lot in close quarters. It's also difficult off-stage, not only because of Dark Pit's better aerials, but because Dark Pit's recovery is so good that gimping is out of the question. :(

Vonn Hennings

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alpha601
:rosalina::4yoshi::4ganondorf::4zss::4zelda::4ness::4pit::4darkpit::4fox:
These are the more difficult match-ups for R.O.B. to fight, mainly because of pure rushdown ability, super armor, better range, or projectile countering. I main :4rob: and I must say that getting used to fighting these characters will take a while, but once you can fight them decently well, they become really easy. Except Rosaluma, they are just annoying.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
*cue in the video where thejwittz beats shofu's dark pit with that sweet edgeguard*

but in all seriousness, I guess the best way is to bait out those side b's. by what I saw in the video, looks like a gyro can force the move into the uppercut animation, putting dark pit in a huge endlag that you can easily punish (or just shield it), not to mention that his arrows are slow and should be easier to reflect than normal pit's.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
by what I saw in the video, looks like a gyro can force the move into the uppercut animation, putting dark pit in a huge endlag that you can easily punish (or just shield it), not to mention that his arrows are slow and should be easier to reflect than normal pit's.
From my endeavors against Dark Pit the gyro only force the uppercut when it's spinning on the ground, not while firing it. Not positive about it though.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Most characters with command grabs such as :4ganondorf: and :4diddy: tend to give me lots of trouble. And I find myself having problems fighting Sonic, but that may just be me.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
your best bet against ganondorf is to simply rush him down, making openings with gyros and laser and then diving in. be very careful when offstage though.... he can easily side b and drag you down, forcing a stock and health reset on both. learned that the hard way...

1FC0

Smash Lord
I never played a good Ganondorf. I played some on FG 1v1 but I just keep them at a distance by spamming lasers and Gyro's and almost nothing else. Many give up approaching me after a while. Yesterday I fought a Ganondorf who gave up on approaching me and just stood at the edge of the stage trying to block my projectile spam.

I think getting around projectiles is though for Ganondorf, as it was in SSBB.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I find that I have a really hard time with patient type players who like to sit in-shield across the stage from you waiting for R.O.B. to approach. I can win most of the time, but it's very hard not to get antsy and just rush in when people are running down the timer.
Most characters with command grabs such as :4ganondorf: and :4diddy: tend to give me lots of trouble. And I find myself having problems fighting Sonic, but that may just be me.
Ganondorf would be easy if it wasn't so damn hard to get the timing of those techs right online.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Also what helps me a lot against Ganondorf is SH Nair. It seems to beat most if not all of ganondorfs approaches and I think that this is really hard for Ganondorf to punish if you space it right.

Graydient

Smash Cadet
If Luigi gets me into an utilt combo, I eat like 30~50%. I'm trying to VI sideways, but to no avail. Also, I'm not sure how to deal with his diagonal nair approach (from behind).

Pointers?

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
the few times that I played against a luigi, I simply accepted that percent handicap. but once nairs and fairs dont combo into each other, its your time to strike back. gyro drops might help out, and use lasers whenever you can. space well your nairs. luigi might have more priority in the air, but he lacks range. it only feels like he has more due to the fact that he has decent aerial mobility.

Last edited:

Vonn Hennings

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alpha601
I have 0 problems with Luigi. He just doesn't have all the tools he really needs

1FC0

Smash Lord
I fought a good Yoshi today and those eggs are really good indeed. I think that Yoshi outcamps R.O.B.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
I actually find RosaLuma easy to deal with. Gyro smacks Luma dead on the face,dealing easy damage,and lazer hits both.

Sure, they can use their projectile counter, but it just leaves them wide open for other attacks.

Zero Suit is one I have trouble with, because it's hard to punish the good ones.

Link is also tricky because he can essentially outcamp me with the number of projectiles he has. I have to time my projectiles all the more perfectly. If he pulls out a bomb/arrow, I fire the lazer in between the time he pulls it out and throws it. Gyro is hard to use because they get canceled out when they hit projectiles, so you have to jump and angle it right.

Villager is just the worst because he can literally pocket my Gyro, leaving me unable to use it for an entire stock.

Last edited:

Blade1125

Smash Rookie
I think I had the most loses playing against a mario that knows what he's doing. Man those fireball/pills wreck me hard when it comes to approaching. And after you dodge them by rolling I'll be grabbed for downsmashed which I have trouble reacting to.

My worst part of the game is that my mind is trained to do a dash attack instead of grab which makes me eat the punish hard. I need to stop doing that. Anyone have tips against mario?

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think I had the most loses playing against a mario that knows what he's doing. Man those fireball/pills wreck me hard when it comes to approaching. And after you dodge them by rolling I'll be grabbed for downsmashed which I have trouble reacting to.

My worst part of the game is that my mind is trained to do a dash attack instead of grab which makes me eat the punish hard. I need to stop doing that. Anyone have tips against mario?
When I meet a Mario on FG 1v1 that spams his fireballs a lot then I often approach and hit him with B>. If timed right it is not stopped by Mario's fireballs and might even hit him with them as a bonus.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Anyone else having trouble against Robin? At The Road to TGC 2 I faced Gnes's Robin in games 2 and 3 and lost. Robin's projectile game is amazing, I'd argue that it's slightly better than R.O.B.'s. His Gyro can stop Arcthunder and Arcfire, but for the latter going in to try and pick it up is extremely risky and I'm often met with Robin's Levin sword f-airs, which in certain situations can get you off-stage (where R.O.B. is considerably worse than he was in Brawl). For Arcthunder, shielding all of it isn't always successful because R.O.B. gets shield-poked by it easily. Though R.O.B. is a gigantic target who's probably going to get hit by it anyway. Robin has an edgeguarding set up where he/she will throw an Arcfire at the edge and wait for either a roll or a jump (because standard getup is useless at that point). If you roll, you get hit by an f-smash or Thoron, and if you jump, you get hit by an up-air or forward-air. The up-air sets up nicely for juggling while the f-air gets R.O.B. back off stage where again, you really don't want to be. I know R.O.B. can reflect with side B, but that move is so easy to punish and the "reflector box" on it is either really tiny or placed awkwardly (i.e., it doesn't always reflect, at least not when I use it). I feel I could've used it more for mixups (I got nervous and played predictably), but still.

Robin also seems to win in close range. I don't have any frame data but it looks like his or her jab comes out more quickly than R.O.B.'s, and Robin has the highest-knockback jab combo/infinite in the game (and you know what that means; off-stage you go if your damage is high enough or you're near the ledge).

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
-:4yoshi:Quite a few people have mentioned Yoshi in this thread, and quite frankly, it's easy to see why. Yoshi can approach with his wicked nasty air mobility, juggle R.O.B. via Up smash (and combo him from there as he pleases), neutralize the Gyros with his Egg Toss, and chill in his eggshield to ignore the laser. (Dat down-air, tho.)
-:4fox:I've really learned to hate Fox from experience. Attack him from afar? He'll either reflect your projectiles, fire back with his Blaster and get tons of percent off on you, or run up to you in 0 seconds flat and kick your :dkmelee: six ways from Sunday.
-:4darkpit:I could include Pit here, but let's be honest, next to nobody uses Pit over Dark Pit, unless they're absolutely opposed to clones like I am. Anyway, same deal as Fox here. He can reflect your projectiles, respond with his own, and beat you absolutely senseless face-to-face.
-:4villager:GIMME MY GYRO BACK YOU SMUG THEIF

Last edited:

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
For me I'd say the faster characters such as Little Mac or Captain Falcon, just cause most people spam with Mac's running attack or CF's downB

Heropon_Riki

Smash Cadet
NNID
yojo98
I've been having a lot of trouble with link recently...

his projectile game is much better than ROBs, and he has better range when approaching due to zair and his sword aerials. I feel that the non chargable laser custom move might help out in this matchup, but I haven't gotten it yet...
Link isn't really a major challenge. His zair is tough to deal with, so din't approach with nair unless they never use zair. Try and mix up gyro and laser by using them in the air, baiting the link to approach. Also use your side B for mixups, it is a reflector ajd deals a fair ammount of percent if you get the last blow

For me I'd say the faster characters such as Little Mac or Captain Falcon, just cause most people spam with Mac's running attack or CF's downB
Try and lay out a gyro then, to trip them up. Another stratagy that would work against dash attack or falcon's down by is short hop to nair, or just sheild and grab

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Ok so after playing a lot more and learning each character's playstyle I can see these characters being a huge problem to R.O.B.
Here is my tier list:
Hardest match-ups
- :4sheik:
- :4falcon:/:4sonic:
- :rosalina:
Hard match-ups
- :4yoshi:
-:4ness:
- :4fox:
- :4zelda:
Moderate match-ups
- :4pit:/:4darkpit:
- :4ganondorf:

Again this is just my opinion but these characters give me the hardest time with R.O.B.

Edit: Added in sonic since I forgot about him.

Last edited:

Bunns

Smash Ace
NNID
Deadgreenbunny
Fast characters like captain falcon and sheik were a problem for me before. What I do now is force them to jump by having a gyro between me and them, nair or fair above my gyro, then land back behind it. Having a gyro on the stage most of the time slows down their approach giving you more room to breath.

Xanthous

Smash Cadet
I actually don't think that characters like Falcon and Sheik are that difficult of match-ups, just popping a Gyro in the middle of the stage can hinder them quite a bit. The ones I struggle with the most are probably Villager, Yoshi and the spacies.

Top Bottom