• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your PT fighting-style.

Wolfgar

Smash Rookie
So, how are all of you going to be using PT?
Are you..

1) Only gonna main 1 of the 3 and refrain from using the other 2?

2) Gonna use 2 and not use the last one because you dont like it/cant play well with it?

3) Try to use all 3 effectively?

Number 2 for me, I'll play Ivysaur and Squirtle myself a lot and only use Charizard when it's really needed. (I love all 3 and Char is my favorite, but I dont do well with heavyweights so thats why.)

Rabid_Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
From the videos I've been watching, it will probably depend on my opponent(s). For example, should I be up against Bowser (hopefully not Gimpy), I'll most likely choose the light and fast needler type (Squirtle) mixed with a little of medium all-arounder (Ivysaur). If it's a light needler, I'll probably counter with Squirtle, then switch to 'Zard for the powerful attacks to knock them out.

So, closest to number 3 for me.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I allways start with squirtle, and everytime I die or kill I switch once and change my style accordingly, thought squirtle is my favourite, and I allways prefer him over the others. and when in need have no fear, for squirtle is here ;-)

JoeTang

Smash Cadet
You should try to be able to use at least two of them effectively, since when you die, you automatically switch to the next Pokemon. If you can only play one, you have to waste a lot of time switching back to that one. Even if you play two, it still wastes quite a bit switching. I can just imagine Marth charging a Shield Breaker beside your Pokeball as you go back to Charizard because you can't play Ivysaur.

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
All three of course! Tho Squirtle is my favorite of the three...I'll still try my best to use all 3 effectively :D

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I currently plan on focusing on Ivysaur and Charizard, at least to begin with. Ivysaur looks like a good all-around player with solid KO ability (she reminds me a lot of Link, who's my current main), so I'll probably start out with her at the beginning of the match. Once my damage starts to get higher, I'll move up to Charizard for the defensive advantage. Ivysaur's recovery looks pretty terrible...Charizard's weight and multijumps should definitely come in handy. I'll then stick with Charizard until I die, after which I'll skip Squirtle entirely and go back to Ivysaur.

Once I get a better feel for the game in general, I'll probably go back and learn how to play Squirtle, then decide if I want to implement him into my playstyle or not. His style just doesn't really appeal to me from what I've seen...I've never been a fan of speed-based fighters. I feel like I probably wouldn't like using him unless it was necessary, either because I'm somehow stuck between Charizard and Ivysaur (like if I died before being able to switch up to Charizard) or both other pokemon are severely disadvantaged by the matchup.

It seems like as long as you're comfortable with at least two of them, you should be able to get by. Watching videos of people trying to switch twice in a row in the middle of a battle to get back to their single main is painful, though...sometimes they get up to 60% damage or more before they even start fighting.

tux_do

Smash Cadet
From the videos I've been watching, it will probably depend on my opponent(s). For example, should I be up against Bowser (hopefully not Gimpy), I'll most likely choose the light and fast needler type (Squirtle) mixed with a little of medium all-arounder (Ivysaur). If it's a light needler, I'll probably counter with Squirtle, then switch to 'Zard for the powerful attacks to knock them out.

So, closest to number 3 for me.
same for me, I'm sure I will end up favoring one more than the others, but I will try to use whatever is strongest against my apponent. It's just like playing pokemon. Rock paper scisors.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Ivysaur's a girl? When was that confirmed?

Most impressions seem to indicate Squirtle being the best overall while Charizard's weight & glide keeps it alive the longest. So I'm thinking of using Squirtle until I get to around 100% & then switch over to Charizard, in theory KOing the opponents sooner while staying alive longer.

Javelin

Smash Rookie
I'll obviously try to be good with all 3. I used to play Marth and Samus a lot, they're fast and all-round chars so I'll probably pick up squirtle and ivysaur quite easily. But, I'd still like to learn Charizard so I can pull him out to scare the crap out of people I'm fighting when they think they're in control.

Pkaz01

Smash Cadet
Start with squirtle, then to ivy, then finish them off with charizard and then go back to squirtle and repeat.

Top Bottom