• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Personal Online Codes of Honor?

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Just curios what codes most of the community follows. Personally I follow pretty basic ones

1: Kill yourself if they die by accident. (This rule does not apply if they died because they went for a dumb move)
2: Never taunt after a kill unless an established both you and your opponent are friendly to each other.
3. If they taunt at the start of the match, taunt back.

What about you guys?

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Just curios what codes most of the community follows. Personally I follow pretty basic ones

1: Kill yourself if they die by accident. (This rule does not apply if they died because they went for a dumb move)
2: Never taunt after a kill unless an established both you and your opponent are friendly to each other.

What about you guys?
If they spam you spam
If hit during afk let them hit u

cheezy

Smash Rookie
NNID
cheez124
3DS FC
2664-2287-2711
if my opponent taunts at the beginning of a match, i always do the same. i'll also SD myself for people who accidentally do, but only if they taunted at the start of the game lol

funny enough, most of the players that i meet that taunt before a game of FG are ganon players. who knew the king of evil was such a good guy

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Don't use ****ty or antagonistic tags. Easy as that.
Haha they can be called AnTAGonists.

1) There's nothing wrong with taunting.
2) Give no sympathy (because the one time I SD'd after the other person did, guess what they did. WARIO LAUGHING TAUNT UGH). :p
3) Just have fun.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
trust me, you should never do this. it doesn't help neither of the players in any way, you just make yourself look like a looney

about taunting, you can taunt whenever you want, no need for any rules about taunting..

El_Mariachi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Marvinho
1. Taunt when I get the Knee of Justice
2. Put "Good Game~" as my tag after a match.
3. Taunt at the beginning of a Falcon Ditto. This is a must.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
trust me, you should never do this. it doesn't help neither of the players in any way, you just make yourself look like a looney

While there is truth to this, I do not see whats wrong with it in for glory, especially where lag can be responsible for some deaths.Just evens the playing field. I would never do it in a competition.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
some people could feel like you underestimate them by willingly giving up your stock. SDs happen, just let it go

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
some people could feel like you underestimate them by willingly giving up your stock. SDs happen, just let it go

i only do that if im on friendly terms with them

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Sd and leave during bouts of terrible lag. Communicate as such before leaving the room So they know I'm not leaving because they did something wrong.

Also, if get accused of spamming, oblige their needs and win with minimal projectiles before leaving.

....the second is more of a code of justice I suppose.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
My code of honor is simple
never taunt an opponent that fights clean, never leave the match, keep fighting till they leave.
I play to get better, so ill keep fighting an opponent learning my exploitable weaknesses and attempt to correct them

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
If I'm using Duck Hunt and I take a stock, do the laugh taunt. Always.

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
1) Fight with everything I've got!

2) Never taunt my opponent unless they taunt me first or they start a taunt at the beginning of a match

3) Never quit a match

4) Have fun!

These are my codes of honor that I try to consistently follow. I feel it makes the craziness of For Glory a little more bearable.

Tyketto

Smash Cadet

What about you guys?
I definitely abide by #1

#2 - I don't usually taunt after a kill. The most often I taunt is when either A) I do something stupid that gets me killed, so I taunt when I get back on stage as a way of laughing at myself, or B) My opponent gets a really nice kill, so I taunt when I get back on stage as a sign of respect. Otherwise, I might taunt at the end of a particularly good match that I end up winning, but not to be showboaty, more like my version of saying "Good game!"

#3 - Most matches I have on FG don't start with a taunt, so I'm usually thrown off a bit if they do. Either way, I'll stop my momentum and taunt back - might as well if they're doing it. Occasionally I'll be caught up in the moment and hit them accidentally mid taunt. In those cases, I let them hit me back until we (roughly) match the damage I did.

Khao

Smash Lord
#1 Rule of Online Play: Don't make negative assumptions about your opponent. If they make a specific action, don't worry about its meaning. A taunt could mean anything from "I'm having a lot of fun!" to "You're a pathetic player and I can't believe I'm wasting my time with you." Nothing good comes from thinking that every taunt means the latter.

#2 Rule of Online Play: Freaking enjoy yourself! Do anything you need to do to have fun with the match, and don't worry about coming off as a jerk if you're not actually doing anything wrong. That means don't worry about quitting a match when you need or want to. That means don't worry about switching to the character you want to use regardless of how the last match ended or what character you want to use. That means don't worry about taunting if that's what you want to do. I live by my #1 Rule and don't assume that my opponent is an asshole. In return, I expect the same respect from my opponent so we're both free to play the game as we enjoy it the most.

That's pretty much it for me. Though I also pick up on things my opponent does. Like the whole thing about taunting at the start of a match as a sort-of greeting? I don't do that, but if someone does it first, I'll taunt back.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
I try and abide by both rules 1 & 2 that the OP mentioned. Friendly matches are the best matches.
Also, if I see my opponent changing characters every, or every other match, I will do the same. No one likes playing against the same character over and over again.

Last edited:

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
#2 Rule of Online Play: Freaking enjoy yourself!
Whole para
#1 Rule of Online Play: Don't make negative assumptions about your opponent. If they make a specific action, don't worry about its meaning. A taunt could mean anything from "I'm having a lot of fun!" to "You're a pathetic player and I can't believe I'm wasting my time with you." Nothing good comes from thinking that every taunt means the latter.

#2 Rule of Online Play: Freaking enjoy yourself! Do anything you need to do to have fun with the match, and don't worry about coming off as a jerk if you're not actually doing anything wrong. That means don't worry about quitting a match when you need or want to. That means don't worry about switching to the character you want to use regardless of how the last match ended or what character you want to use. That means don't worry about taunting if that's what you want to do. I live by my #1 Rule and don't assume that my opponent is an *******. In return, I expect the same respect from my opponent so we're both free to play the game as we enjoy it the most.

That's pretty much it for me. Though I also pick up on things my opponent does. Like the whole thing about taunting at the start of a match as a sort-of greeting? I don't do that, but if someone does it first, I'll taunt back.
Very well spoken! #2 especially. Sometimes I spend too much time trying to be a gentleman rather than just being one while having fun.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
1. If you don't win, make sure to show you're not salty. As such, blame everything for my problems with the exception of myself. That way everyone can gets involved in solving my problems, we are all humble together. Also, make sure to use phrases to show that you are in fact not in any way angry. Phrases like "USUK" and "LOSER" encourages communication among players, and allows for a "higher" standard of quality.

2. In the case that a fight is still not going your way, be respectful to your opponent and show that you surrender. And by that I mean dying on purpose and then quitting, but not out of rage. Remember, it's not about winning or losing, it's about your opponent cheating. How else could he have defeated you?

3. The best only pick the cream of the crop. As such, choose the highest tier characters exclusively despite knowing absolutely nothing about said character that you picked. I mean, if they somehow got up there, that means they have to be good. Right?

4. Lastly, getting better is not an option. After all, you're already perfect. But in the case that you have a losing streak, make sure to voice your opinion; it needs to be heard. Log on to your favorite social network and be sure to talk about how there are so many "n00bs" and "scrubs" online. Sure, you could make the occasional topic about how you can get better, but never take their opinion. Criticism is the scum of the Earth after all.

Chaozrush21

Smash Cadet
NNID
dotmae
3DS FC
3007-8540-3431
1) If a player runs off the ledge and kill there self on accident, do the same so the match can be fair.

2) If I encounter a spammer, fight him without spamming so he or she hopefully learns to not to spam.

3) If I'm better at smash than someone else, I switch to my lesser mains.

4) Have fun and train.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Lmao I just go for shield breaks all the time, I don't think I have any honor. Am I a bad person?

Gabu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gabukin
~1~
Never Taunt!
Personally I see taunting as the most disrespectful thing you can do in a game. Its like spitting in your opponents face and that's not cool. I just want my fellow players to respect me. I try my very best to avoid taunting my opponent and disrespecting them. Typically if my opponent taunts, After that match, Win or Lose, I'll leave the lobby.

~2~
Never Switch Characters!
This may seem silly but I always feel that people who constantly switch their characters are very arrogant, which in my opinion is another form of disrespect. When I'm in a lobby with someone, I stick to the character I first chose. I feel that doing this will help my opponent learn how to fight the specific character I'm playing as.

~3~
Don't Attack during heavy lag!
When the game starts to lag, I move myself to the opposite side of the stage that my opponent is on and remain their until the lag is over. If the lag is constant then I'll try to tough it out then after the match I'll leave the Lobby.

~4~
Use Positive Tags!

Usually after a match I'll send the Tag "Good Games" & if I Have to go I'll send the Tags "I GTG" Followed by "Good Games".
Though sometimes when I'm salty at my opponent for taunting I'll send the tags "That Taunt!" Followed by "No Respect" but I'm working on my self control and doing that less and less.

~5~
Be a gentleman!

If your opponent clearly messed up and SD's while they are below 10% then I'll SD myself to even things up. Though its very dependent on how they SD'd. For example: If they were going for something lame, like Ganon's Side Special off stage, then I won't SD.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
1. When they start the match off with a taunt, taunt right back at 'em. Same goes for hypercrouching.

2. If they SD, SD in return out of good sport, provided damage is under 50% at both sides. Stop doing this if they keep killing themselves: they still need to learn, of course.

3. Never taunt unless it's in response to an opening taunt or to poke fun at oneself.

4. Crouch during lag to indicate a temporary truce until the game is good to go.

5. Crouch at the side of the stage after a KO as a sign of respect to the fallen foe.

6. Use positive tags for specific circumstances, e.g. "GG!" if one is beaten after a good fight, "SORRY" to apologise for a poor match, "ADDME" for continued contact, "^_^" for friendly banter

Savangardius Corsio

Smash Rookie
NNID
Savangardius
I don't taunt. Don't get me wrong, I know taunting is NOT a bad thing, I just don't do it because apparently there's a lot of players who get offended when they get taunted, so, in order to avoid getting people to feel bad, I prefer not to do it at all.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
1. Taunting your opponent after losing a stock is like a slap in the face, which is something I'll never do.
2. Never drop out of a match and just go with the flow.
3. Have fun regardless of the results, like accepting your loss like a real man.

Morbi

Scavenger
1. Taunt with all three different taunts after a knock-out.
1b. If you do not have enough time, crouch multiple times.
2. Taunt instead of using a follow-up or approach.
2b. Spam lasers if you already taunted.
3. Taunt with your invincibility frames after you re-spawn.
4. If you feel as though your opponent might two-stock you, run off the edge early so that they do not get the satisfaction.
4b. If you are not entirely sure, just run and jump back and forth to avoid their attacks.
5. Always try to style on them, go for those d-air spikes.

But I definitely use the GG tag after every match. I would not want anyone to misconstrue my good intentions.

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
1~ Like most here, Never taunt after a kill. I used to but no, just no, people get mad at that. Respect <3

2 ~ If I feel like changing characters, I'll add the "I'm Random" tag. And choose one of the most unpredictable characters: Random.

3 ~ If my opponent taunts at the beginning of the match... I taunt back.

4 ~ If my opponent changes to Shulk in the second round "mostly to annoy me..." I taunt "Now it's Shulk time."

5 ~ GG tags, GTG tags when needed.

6 ~ I play best 2 out of 3. Unless my opponent does seem someone who tries and tries and really seems he wants to improve, I stay to help him level up, and write tags on how to improve.

7 ~ I don't sd for my opponent. I used to, but this is the competitive scene, no mistakes allowed.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
1. Don't taunt after a kill (although I play Falcon, so I could probably get away with this)
2. I don't SD after my opponent messes up, I just make sure to play them again to give them another shot.

beetee_s

Smash Rookie
NNID
MattG4
1. Try not to taunt after every kill, unless it was something so outrageous that it just can't be helped.
2. If they taunt after every kill (especially after stupid things like SDing on accident), feel free to taunt as much as possible.
3. Don't fight when lagging, bear it if lag persists and then disconnect after the match.
4. In FG, if they're way better or way worse than me, I usually give it three games to decide if it's just a stomp or a potential learning experience for the lesser skilled player.

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
1. Don't taunt after every kill unless they do.
2. Crouch at the beginning of matches as a sign of respect.
3. If they hit during the Crouch of Respect, destroy them. If they are better than me, lose but don't lose without a fight.
4. Don't SD like an idiot *cough* Little Mac side + b off the edge *cough*

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
1. Taunt after every KO. :smirk:
2. Take out any AFK players ASAP! :awesome:
3. SD if they accidentally SD. (see, I'm not a TOTAL monster) :p
4. Use Dark Pit's Down Taunt at the end of the match so both him and the announcer say "GAME!" :chuckle:

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
1) Only taunt after sick reads that lead to kills.
2) That's it! Play to win, no sympathy, no mercy. You SD, I'mma laugh.

Only time I'll SD in response to a SD is if I really like you.

Last edited:

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
1:if they taunt before the match,I taunt

2:I always put ggs when Im about to Leave

3:if they spam,expect to get spammed twice as hard

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
I think a lot of players have been conditioned to taunt after kills. I certainly picked it up way back in Melee when I saw the CPU do it after every kill. It's become ingrained in people's understanding of the game, I think.

I've started using tags after matches, as well. I have a "GOOD GAMES" tag and a "WELL PLAYD" tag.

Last edited:

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
1. If they taunt at beginning of match, taunt back.
2. If they accidentally suicide >20%, suicide back to gentlemen stock.
3. Don't hit an AFK
4. Switch up characters if they're switching unless I'm trying to learn somebody new.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
~2~
Never Switch Characters!
This may seem silly but I always feel that people who constantly switch their characters are very arrogant, which in my opinion is another form of disrespect. When I'm in a lobby with someone, I stick to the character I first chose. I feel that doing this will help my opponent learn how to fight the specific character I'm playing as.
This is your only rule I don't wholeheartedly agree with, but I guess I see where your coming from. Still I wouldn't assume people are arrogant if they switch fighters, 50% of the time I pick random because I cant choose which fighter I wanna start with. Or I change up my selection based on the fact I want to have fun with other characters, this applies even when I lose. I don't see arrogance when I get beat repeatedly by a guy who plays as multiple fighters, all I see is a skill level I haven't reached yet. In turn, I have a deep respect for said opponent. Maybe its because I go into each match expecting to lose. Like my father always said, "there will always be someone better than you, if not now, then later on."

Last edited:
Top Bottom