• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Most Nostalgic Games/Series?

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Every time I play a game in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series (aside from Gates to Infinity), I always experience a lot of nostalgia. This also applies to the Paper Mario series as well.

Are there games that give you a rush of nostalgia each time you play them, or even by just thinking about the theme song in the opening sequence? Let everyone know about those games below.

:025::mario2:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Metroid always gives me that feeling. Pretty much any of the old series that are still around Zelda, Mario, etc.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I feel the same way with Melee, Paper mario TTYD, M&L SuperStar Saga, but most of all: Kirby air ride. Childhood memories rushing back. Even Now!

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Definitely Chrono Trigger, since it was the first game I'd ever bought on my own (along with that sweet clear-ish purple N64 controller).

Oh man, that Goof Troop game for SNES, because Dad got it for my birthday while he was in the hospital. We ended up playing it a ton after he got out, but we were pretty terrible at it.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Mario easily. Also my favorite game series.

I also have a lot of nostalgia for Pokemon. :094: in particular will always be one of my favorite video game characters period.

Duck Hunt and NFL Street are a couple games I could actually play with my dad (and that he could beat me at). Also the Space Jam game for PS1.

But overall, Mario is the one that tugs at my heartstrings and keeps me smiling the whole time I play any new main-series games. I love them. <3

finalark

SNORLAX
The PS1 era Final Fantasy games plus the GBA port of FFI+II. FFX and IV to an extent to, although not as much since I didn't play those games until I was much older. But the PS1 era games, Final Fantasy IX in particular got me into RPGs and I have fond memories of playing the GBA port of FFI to death on family road trips. Even though IX and I really haven't aged all that well they're still a blast for me.

Aside from that, the Genesis and Dreamcast era Sonic games. Whoo boy, those games. I used to play those games religiously. :embarrassing: story to go with that, I used to throw my arms out behind my back and run downhill thinking that if I ran like Sonic I could eventually break the sound barrier. I stopped when my Mother told me how stupid I looked. Ah, good times. To this day they're still relaxing and help me cool down if I'm having a bad day.

EDIT: Apparently you can't say the world "embarrass-ing" without summoning an emoticon. Admins should get on that.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
EDIT: Apparently you can't say the world "embarrass-ing" without summoning an emoticon. Admins should get on that.
Ha, wow. Same thing with :: around it might be fine, though.

I also at least briefly thought the arms behind back thing might make me faster as a kid. I think I was too embarrassed to try it in front of anyone, though.

finalark

SNORLAX
Ha, wow. Same thing with :: around it might be fine, though.

I also at least briefly thought the arms behind back thing might make me faster as a kid. I think I was too embarrassed to try it in front of anyone, though.
Oh hey, it fixed it, thanks.

I remember seeing a lot of other kids doing that when Naruto was popular. Makes me wonder how kids imitate their favorite thing these days. According to my dad (a fifth grade teacher) a lot of kids like Grand Thief Auto and Call of Duty, so yeah.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Hmm... it has to be Kingdom Hearts. I'm one of those fans who played and loved pretty much every game they put out.

Last edited:

Gutei

Smash Cadet
Original three Sonics, namely Sonic 3. Super Mario World, too. Those two games were probably the biggest games of my childhood until Ocarina and Smash 64 came around.

Doom/Quake on PC, though. I was playing DOOM at the age of 2. I used to get so terrified of the cyberdemon. These days I play Quake and Brutal DOOM.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Easily : The Legend Of Zelda A Link to the Past.

It's been 22 years I've been playing it... and I still play it almost EVERY DAY. Talk about an obsession!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I've been playing video games since I got the SEGA Game Gear, but if I had to say which console era is nostalgic for me, I would say the N64 and PS1 eras.

I'm not too nostalgic about any games.

The ones that make me feel a little nostalgic are Star Fox 64, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, and Bomberman Hero. The title theme in Ocarina of Time also makes me feel nostalgic, even though I don't remember playing a whole lot of it as a kid.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I remember seeing a lot of other kids doing that when Naruto was popular. Makes me wonder how kids imitate their favorite thing these days. According to my dad (a fifth grade teacher) a lot of kids like Grand Thief Auto and Call of Duty, so yeah.
Wow, that's depressing. I'm in high school and there are some kids that talk about CoD and GTA, but a lot of us talk about various Nintendo games, various PC games, and older Playstation games (from the start of PS1 to middle of PS3).

Anyways, I experience a lot of nostalgia whenever I revisit ATV Offroad Fury 2. It was my first console game I ever got, but it's so much fun that my sister and I haven't gotten bored of it yet. My sister and I still play it whenever she can come home from college and laugh at the stereotypical early 2000s music (I love it, but sometimes the lyrics are unintelligible). I also get a huge burst of nostalgia from my GCN, GB/GBC/GBA/SP, and the rest of my PS2 library.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Wow, that's depressing. I'm in high school and there are some kids that talk about CoD and GTA, but a lot of us talk about various Nintendo games, various PC games, and older Playstation games (from the start of PS1 to middle of PS3).
To be fair, my mother (who is also a teacher) reports Minecraft and Angry Birds as popular choices. My father works in a significantly less privledged part of town, while my mother works in a wealthier area. Make of that what you will.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
To be fair, my mother (who is also a teacher) reports Minecraft and Angry Birds as popular choices. My father works in a significantly less privledged part of town, while my mother works in a wealthier area. Make of that what you will.
Well, I guess those are more appropriate titles. I'm fine with people liking CoD or GTA, but I guess I just get a bit mad whenever parents allow elementary school children to play M rated games. This isn't a new problem as there were kids in my elementary school who watched R rated movies and played Halo (GTA still wasn't allowed to any kids I knew until middle school), but I've never been a fan of small children observing media that is meant for exclusively adults.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Pokemon Red, Custom Robo, and Halo are my most nostalgic titles.

Yeah, yeah, hate me for Halo, but man, we're those great times.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, yeah, hate me for Halo, but man, we're those great times.
Nobody really cares if you like Halo anymore since everyone who hated on it has moved on to bashing Call of Duty, thankfully.

But man, Halo CE was the game that made me realize how awesome multiplayer in an FPS could be. Not to mention it was the first FPS that had genuine game design built around playing on a console instead of awkwardly slapping design choices from PC games onto a controller. I went back and revisited in on co-op when the remake came out a few years ago. Parts of the single player game are kind of bland these days, but even over a decade later the multiplayer is still fantastic.

Last edited:

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
Donkey Kong Country

It was one of the first games I ever played and everytime I hear the title screen theme it gets me really hyped and reminds me of when I was younger

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Pokemon was the first video game series I've played so I obviously have a lot of nostalgic memories for the franchise. I remembered playing a lot of Sapphire, Diamond, Mystery Dungeon, and Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire (which is the first game I've ever played btw). But the video game series that got me into gaming was none other than Mario. New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart DS, and Super Mario 64 DS (yeah, I love the DS if you can't tell) were what I played back when I was a child. Oh, I also played a s*** ton of Brawl. Me and Brawl were like, two peas in a pod.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Pokemon Red/Blue
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Final Fantasy VII
Dark Cloud 2
Touhou Koumaykou ~ Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (didn't play until November 2010, but it was my first Touhou game)
Super Smash Bros. 64
Pokemon Stadium
Super Mario Bros. 3

Basically 90% of the games I would put in my top 20 are all nostalgic to me in some form.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Even though I haven't started gaming until the N64/PS1 era, the games I had the most nostalgia over were Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, the classic Spyro trilogy, and the first Croc. Of course, there's also Melee & Kirby Air Ride despite being a bit more older around that time.

What's with parents these days letting their children play M-rated games despite not being very appropriate for them? Things like this is why I fear parenting now.

MrMustard21

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jarret91
3DS FC
0791-3640-8841
I'll name about a few games.

Kirby Superstar: I literally found this inside of my basement and after playing it for the first time I fell in love with it. While the core gameplay remained the same throughout. (With the exception of the Gourmet Race and Milky Way wishes) The fact that you get six main games and three mini ones mean that there's quite the amount of content. Not too mention that I absolutely love the music. Milky Way wishes is my favorite theme it's so tranquil and mesmerizing.

Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures: Yeah it's a movie based game but it was probably one of the better Indiana Jones games for consoles (I haven't played the pc ones). If you've played Super Star Wars the basic concept is the same as you play through key scenes throughout the three films. I love the Indiana Jones movies (Crystal Skull was okay) and I remember my dad an I playing this for hours on end. I remember the cart stage in Temple of Doom which was a total pain in the butt and I actually beat it. To me beating a difficult stage is always satisfying.

Donkey Kong Country: I remember we had a VHS tape that had behind the scenes footage for the first Donkey Kong Country. Man that was a cheesy but awesome as well. Anyways I have fond memories of both this and Diddy's kong quest. The level design and the music were just fantastic but there were some levels that were chaotic (Bramble levels anyone?)My favorite track out of DKC2 was the Ice theme or In a snowbound land as it's called.

Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart.

Zombies ate my neighbors

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Super Mario Sunshine.

When I was little, all I had were the old black-and-white brick Game Boys. Then when I was at a store, I found a playable Gamecube and someone left the Mario Sunshine demo running.

Basically, Mario Sunshine was my first modern game. For whatever reason, I still get this rush of excitement just looking at the disc.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Ape Escape?

Specifically Pumped and Primed. I have good memories of playing that game with friends.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
First Metroid. Justin Bailey.

EDIT: Oops, I already said this before. Um.....The Adventures of Lolo was the first puzzle game I can remember playing.

Last edited:

Shade_The_Umbreon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Luigifan16
Well for me I would have to say the Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter series are the first ones that come to mind, but there are several more as well.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
The games I really remember from my childhood are:
F-Zero GP legends
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Kirby Squeak Squad
Super Mario World (GBA remake)
Pokémon Fire Red
Pokémon Diamond
Super Mario Galaxy (somewhat recent, but still nostalgic)
Warioware Twisted

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That's tough... I've been continually playing all my favorites. "Nostalgia" really only kicks in when I haven't touched something in years. WW was until HD, yaknow? Still love it of course.

MMZ music really sets me off if I haven't really heard that song in a while. Especially the official remixes from the soundtrack I discovered a week or two ago.

D

Deleted member

Let's see... Smash Bros. happens to be my most-played game on all Nintendo consoles since Nintendo 64, so that's a given. Yes, even for 3DS It's mostly Melee, but I enjoyed all of them. I liked playing Super Mario 64 back in the day. Those times were great. Unfortunately I can't name all of them (the list is big) but I might do that someday.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Definitely Pokémon Red, I was sitting on our typical 90s beige colored couch watching cartoons when my grandma and grandpa came in and gave me the game and a green Gameboy Color as a present, it's one of my clearest memories from that time. I got it pretty early in comparison to many others in Denmark, I was at least the first to own it at my school, so this was before it really boomed across Europe. I brought it with me to school one day and it ended up spreading like the plague, a month or so later everybody was playing Pokémon on their Gameboys, and since I got the game earlier than everyone else everybody would ask me about things constantly. Starting a fad at your school as a kid is a really good memory to have, I remember all the crazy things like Mew being under the truck and finding out about the Missingno glitch, our save files getting corrupted, etc. It actually continued for a really long time too, the majority of our class was into Pokémon up until and including Ruby and Sapphire, with the drop-off happening sometime around Emerald where people simply grew out of it.

I still play Pokémon Red sometimes today, it's the one I'm most comfortable doing challenges like nuzlocke with, and while I certainly acknowledge its many many flaws it'll always be my go-to game because of its nostalgic value.

Last edited:
Top Bottom