• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your most hyped character

ShulkMonadoBoi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luigi_The_Jumper
3DS FC
1289-9400-8598
Since asking others about their least hyped character is apparently a complaint thread asking for trouble..... ( I don't even...) let's do the exact opposite.

Who was your most hyped character?

My most hyped character has to be :4lucas:. I mained him back in Brawl so, when he was cut in Smash 4 I was kinda devastated. Then on the 28th of April, Lucas was confirmed as dlc.That was the only time I ever screamed at my PC monitor and for a good reason too.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I think it would probably be :4bayonetta:. I honestly didn't expect her one bit. I even screamed in disbelief for the first time.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I actually kind of ended up not hyping anybody. I knew all of the characters that debuted in the DLC but Corrin, so it's not like any of them were strangers to me. I don't really follow hype-trains anymore, they oftne crash and burn really bady.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
:4wiifit:So hype because it was SOOOO unexpected. Nobody saw it coming. I still like watching the initial reveal and reveal reaction videos to this day. People went nuts.

I'd also give honorable mentions to -

:4ryu: Blew me away. Never thought they'd put a character like that in Smash. Made :4cloud:not seem like such a big deal. Ryu opened the flood gates for almost any character to be in smash, whether he was from Nintendo or not.
:4pacman::4megaman:It was so cool to have these classic characters in the game. I didn't get that hype over them but I respect the decision nonetheless.

Last edited:

TheArcfire

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProfesorSanchez
Corrin! I actially voted for this character in the ballot as a fantasy character and i can't believe my dream came true:4corrinf:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Nobody.
Really, I didn't get hyped for anyone, nobody new really appealed to me, and even though Mewtwo and Lucas both used to be some of my favorite Smash characters, getting a old veteran back that should have been in the base game instead wasn't exactly hype-worthy for me, I couldn't really be hyped since I didn't see it as new content, I saw it as a paid correction of a mistake. I'm a very frugal person, I don't like spending my money on things that I feel should have been free and in the original product. But, yeah, enough ranting, basically nothing new appealed to me and everything old that should have was mired by my uh, financial views?

Oh whoops, how could I forget? During that ESRB leak I actually was hyped, because :4jigglypuff: made it back, I was expecting her but I was still super relieved, that counts as hype right?

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
I don't think I can stress how much :4megaman: was THE character that sold me on this game.
And then they announce :4cloud: as DLC a year later! These two are the BOYS.

/|Sawtooth/|

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sawtooth_Raven
3DS FC
0001-3486-5335
Although I didn't have any plans to play either, the revamped :4pit: and :4palutena: were pretty exciting to me, since I adored KI:Uprising; it's still one of my top games for the 3DS. I was mostly excited that there were SO MANY characters coming around for Sm4sh more than anything.

:4megaman: was pretty exciting too.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
Megaman got real hard in the feels. but duck hunt was the gem for me. I think Cloud out of the DLC was my most hyped I nearly fell on the floor that day.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:4megaman: and :rosalina: were my two most hyped characters, especially Rosalina. I remember how my heart was racing in excitement when she was revealed as Rosalina was my most wanted character to be in Smash.

Out of the DLCs, :4cloud: was my most hyped. I wish I could say the same about :4ryu: but that leak priority to his reveal ruined it.

Ceruliver

Smash Rookie
My most hyped character of all time was King Dedede. When he was revealed for Brawl I was so freaking hyped, even if I had never played a Kirby game before. I just saw Dedede and thought "This guy is perfect!" But when I got to play him in Brawl... It didn't go well at all lol. Long story short: His Up+B is way too fun.

For Smash 4 my most hyped was probably :4robinm:, since I had just finished FE: Awakening and it was just such a fitting timing.

Last edited:

MrStardustRicon

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrStardustRicon
When :4megaman: was first revealed I was blown back and my hype started, :4robinm: made the hype unbearable, :4cloud: was the coup de grace.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Duck Hunt for me. I liked that the dog and the duck (and the hunter) had a happy friendship ending and the moveset is so meta.

nac45

Smash Rookie
:4duckhunt:Fracking cray, made me wanna play so bad
:4rob:Because of that AVGN episode
:4littlemac:Can anyone say ground control?
:4bayonetta:Give me those Angels, give me those Devils
:4ryu:SF5 on Wii U confirmed?!?!?!?!?!

not so hype:
:4villager:You have no soul, rot in hell
:4lucina:...so... Marth?

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
:4megaman: this guy had the best CGI video aswell..

:4lucas:probaly the least hype for me

Last edited:

Harmonious

Smash Cadet
:rosalina:/:4lucas: were most hype for me. Rosalina's been my favorite Mario character since Galaxy came out. As for Lucas, I didn't spoil the roster for myself when I got ssb4, and began to panic when I kept unlocking characters and Lucas was never one of them. When he got announced I got soooo freaking happy/relieved.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Duck Hunt for me. I liked that the dog and the duck (and the hunter) had a happy friendship ending and the moveset is so meta.
Same here... the moveset is pretty much what I had envisioned for years. It is amazing! I am always playing as Duck Hunt every time I play Smash (though I try to break the habit by playing other characters). I just love the dog and the duck! :4duckhunt:

Ten-X Legacy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0018-3082-8725
I never really hyped...
I did check out the character reveal videos after I got the game though. :4megaman:'s was FREAKIN' EPIC!
I was exited to get :4mewtwo: because, even though everyone had passed him off as trash-tier, I was already leaning towards Either :4rob: or "Le Santa Penguin" :4dedede:. I like to play the underdog, so when I watched a few videos on Mewtwo's combos and general moveset, I knew he would fit my mindset very well. I was pretty exited when I got him.

But then...
Corrin.
Ho-lee-****, Corrin.
I am currently in a state of ULTRA-HYPE because I haven't been able to purchase him yet!
I've been watching combo videos, and forum discussions for the past two days. (Someone help!)
While everyone else was griping about "ANOTHER Fire emblem Character?!" I was sitting here thinking; "Shape-shifting man-dragon hybrid, with a chainsaw-sword! O-O This is the Christmas present I didn't even know I wanted..."

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
:4lucas:, easily.

Already being a big fan of Ness and EarthBound, I was a little bummed out when Lucas didn't make the cut. I loved playing as him in Brawl and it was a little sad to see Ness there without his other friendly EarthBound rep. But as soon as that trailer came on and it focused so much on Ness..oh, I knew..

The hype levels would never be the same. At least, until Mother 3 comes out in the West.

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884

Lucas was a HUGE deal to me. Mother 3 is one of my two favorite games of all time, right up there with Majora's Mask, so Lucas getting his representation back via DLC was so awesome! He's now one of my Secondary Mains. (Mario is Primary, Secondary are Captain Falcon, Roy, and Lucas)

Also, it is SO satisfying to pull off a B-Air sweet spot spike on someone who wasn't aware it did that. <3

Also, don't know if this counts since ultimately, the Rumors were false, but when there were Rumors started to pop up looking like Shovel Knight might be in the game, I was pretty hyped for that. Shovel Knight is one of the best indie games I've played ever, and an awesome Retro NES callback, so I think he would have been AMAZING in Smash! Ah, C'est La vie!

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I was pretty disappointed with all the DLC characters. They catered waaay too much to the Japanese audience so there was really nothing to get hyped about. Ryu was okay I guess. So was Lucas but thats about it.

:4pacman: Was probably my favorite newcomer overall. There's just something that blows my mind about him being in Smash.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Sorry dude... I recently watched an in debt analysis video, I was just a little confused by some Fire Emblem lore
Lucina goes by the name of Marth and wears that mask so she's not identified as the daughter of the Exalt in the past. A few things happen in the game and she drops the disguise out of necessity.

BlueBomberFan87

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlueBomberFan87
3DS FC
2836-0422-7622
When the game was first revealed at E3 2013, :4megaman:'s trailer made me hyped for the game instantly! I was hyped when :4shulk: was revealed! I had played his game a little a couple years before, and watching his trailer caused him to be my main! Honorable mentions go to, :4littlemac:,:4ryu:,:4pacman:,:4duckhunt:,:4cloud:, &:4bayonetta:. Smash 4 has such an amazing roster of characters! I'm glad all the them got in!

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet
I was extremely hyped when :4cloud:and :4bayonetta:were announced. I've wanted Cloud since the beginning I played Smash, and Bayonetta came to me as a surprise and seemed like an extremely good character.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
:4lucina: Because Fire Emblem.
Meanwhile my least hyped character: :4rob:. Why was this thing even considered for one Smash game? Let alone two.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
For me it was :4mewtwo: by far!

I was super hyped before Brawl to see Mewtwo return to the game, but sadly he didn't and i have been hoping for his return ever since so needless to say i couldn't believe my eyes when he was revealed as DLC and i even jumped out of my chair and screamed a bit when he was revealed :p good times.

On a side note my least hyped character was probably :4ganondorf: since i was equally surprised they didn't give him a new moveset for this game.

Last edited:

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
:4bayonetta: and :4cloud: got me excited because they came out of left field. Never would have called either of them. But in terms of real hype, :4ryu:, :4megaman:, and :4mewtwo: win. Ryu because I'm a big fan of Street Fighter and when they showed off his unique moves I was on board all the way. I grew up playing the Megaman (and X) games so that was huge. As for Mewtwo, in addition to being my favorite Pokemon, was my favorite "for fun" character from Melee, so it was great to see him come back. :4myfriends: to an extent as well because I thought he would be dropped in favor of Chrom. I'm still kinda salty because Chrom didn't make it in (even as an alt skin for Ike would have been awesome) but Ike is mah boy so I'm happy overall.

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet
For me it was :4mewtwo: by far!

I was super hyped before Brawl to see Mewtwo return to the game, but sadly he didn't and i have been hoping for his return ever since so needless to say i couldn't believe my eyes when he was revealed as DLC and i even jumped out of my chair and screamed a bit when he was revealed :p good times.

On a side note my least hyped character was probably :4ganondorf: since i was equally surprised they didn't give him a new moveset for this game.
I want a new moveset for Ganondorf

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
:4bayonetta2:Loved the games, and was my most wanted third-party character, so it was like a dream come true, if only she was introduced better...

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884
I want a new moveset for Ganondorf
Sadly, I think the general idea is "People who like Dorf the way he is will complain" unfortunately.

Sakurai seems hesitant to make sweeping changes to the vets. One or two moves over a single game like FLUDD for Mario are fair game, and even Ganon gets like, his Up air and forward air different.... but I think Sakurai is worried he'll piss people off if he changes Dorf too much.

I say the solution is Toon Ganondorf to be a character.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
If Lucina comes back for the next Smash, I'm honestly scared thath she'll still be the clone she is now.

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884
If Lucina comes back for the next Smash, I'm honestly scared thath she'll still be the clone she is now.
I don't think so. We've yet to get that happen where a character is a Straight up clone, with NO Real variations of moves other than hitbox/speed/weight tweaking, and that lasts from game to game.

Luigi was changed substantially between 64 and Melee and the minor tweaks to him and Mario have made them pretty much different characters by now.
Falco and Toon Link to a lesser extent are fairly different at this point. I can actually name 4 attacks Toon Link and Link have that are different off the top of my head (Dash, U-Smash, NAir, 'BAir, and I would argue the "Gale" effect makes their Boomerangs substantially different)

Thankfully, even Roy is very different in Sm4sh vs. Melee... I actually like Roy a lot better lol.

My point is, I doubt Lucina will make it to the next game without at least SOME moves being tweaked and played with, but don't expect more than her being Toon Link level decloned.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I don't think so. We've yet to get that happen where a character is a Straight up clone, with NO Real variations of moves other than hitbox/speed/weight tweaking, and that lasts from game to game.

Luigi was changed substantially between 64 and Melee and the minor tweaks to him and Mario have made them pretty much different characters by now.
Falco and Toon Link to a lesser extent are fairly different at this point. I can actually name 4 attacks Toon Link and Link have that are different off the top of my head (Dash, U-Smash, NAir, 'BAir, and I would argue the "Gale" effect makes their Boomerangs substantially different)

Thankfully, even Roy is very different in Sm4sh vs. Melee... I actually like Roy a lot better lol.

My point is, I doubt Lucina will make it to the next game without at least SOME moves being tweaked and played with, but don't expect more than her being Toon Link level decloned.
Being realistic, I don't expect her to be in the next game period.
I do realise that she'd get decloned slightly if she was in the next game... but then the issue would not be decloning her, it would be making her moveset faithful to Awakening, and that would require Smash 4 Ganondorf levels of decloning.

Top Bottom