• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Mains Two Best Stages, And Their Two Worst Stages.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Of all the legal stages, we all have some that we try to play on, or would rather not play on. For the sake of education in the banning process, what are your main's best and worst stages of all the legal and counter-pick stages? Please list Battlefield/Dreamland in the same category, since they are very similar and most characters who benefit from battlefield, obviously benefit from Dreamland and vice versa.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
In almost every case, I would probably say Smashville followed by Battlefield and/or FD. In the case of :4charizard:, I'd replace Battlefield with Omega Wily's Castle since it gives me a tiny bit more flex room with trying a Flare Blitz read. Generally speaking, I tend to go off of personal preference (e.g. Smashville) rather than specifically the character.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Falco's best stages are any one that has platforms, except Smashville. (Battlefield, Lylat Cruise, Town and City, Dreamland etc.)
Falco's ability to pressure on platforms is unparalleled. Nair, bair, and up air gives him a huge advantage. As a plus he's always got somewhere to run when things get too close for comfort.
Falco's playstyle is literally Tom and Jerry. You've got to quickly outsmart your opponent and make them chase you like crazy around the stage. The more area to move the better for Falco.

Falco becomes incredibly limited on his Cat and Mouse game on any FD variant and Smashville to an extent. When Falco needs to make a getaway, he has to literally go through the opponent. Causing more conflict than Falco wants to handle. :skull::skull::skull:

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
As a Pikachu main, I've always been fond of Lylat. The tilting doesn't really hurt Pika's recovery, and the platform layout is pretty great for Pikachu's recovery and combos. It's been a while since I last played there, usually have it banned, but I think Pika's U-smash can go through the plats, which is nice. Also, Smashville is generally a great stage for characters, and Pika is no exception. The platform can allow Pikachu to pressure or escape whenever he wants really, plus he can cross under if he needs to.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
Battlefield is Ike's best stage IMO. The platforms lets us make use of his huge aerial moves while the large blast zones benefit us more than hinder us because of his weight and his killing power making the extra distance mostly irrelevant. On the ground his Usmash and Utilt can shark through the two bottom platforms. Lylat Cruise, Dream Land, Miiverse, and Town and City to a lesser extent all benefit Ike because of their platforms.

Final Destination and Smashville are the worst. No way to escape projectiles and characters with good ground control can eat us alive.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
As a Robin main I find that Battlefield/Dreamland are by far his best stages, thanks to the platforms, Robin can throw out tons of projectiles that normally would not be safe. Archfire makes walking under the platform impossible for the opposition, and we benefit from the platforms. Smashville is also good for us. I have also had good luck on Lylat, While the tilting can upset our thunders, Archfire is still just as effective, if not more effective.

I find the stages I avoid most are town and city and surprisingly final destination. Town and City offers a ton of platforms that the opponent can use to get around our projectiles and they are high enough that they do not offer any protection, and the low blast ceiling really only helps our check mate combo, while other characters benefit greatly from it. Final Destination is a love hate relationship that really depends on the match up. Against characters who lack a projectile, Robin does great on FD. But against almost anyone else, Robin tends to suffer there. We do not have any cover for our projectiles, and more often then not, we are forced to approach, and without platforms, Robin has even less approaching options.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Battlefield as well as Dreamland are my home stages as a Luigi. The platform placements allows me to extend combos to ridiculous lengths that I otherwise could not on most other stages, and low enough hits or throws to force opponents to force the opponent in a bad situation that can be followed up with a up b feels really solid. And for Battlefield, my awful recovery is somewhat mitigated by using tornado more inside of the stage, just underneath the lip of the edge to avoid being directly underneath a potential spike.

For a lot of matchups, I am not terribly fond of Town & City as a first stage pick due to just how wide it is, and I'm prone to being camped out by those with superior mobility at times or needle camped from afar, but for most other matchups it's not the worst thing, and there can be some disgusting followups out of the relatively high platforms that I benefit from.

No, easily the one I strike the most is Duck Hunt. I love the stage for what it's worth, but for the character I play it is not that great for me and I usually just resort to striking it first. Though occasionally I don't strike it and leave it open as an option since I have a pocket Wario so I can amplify the very things Luigi otherwise hates and force approach in a lot of matches by just hogging up the tree.

But yeah, while a lot of stages for me are very matchup dependent, I tend to prefer Battlefield and Dreamland's layout.

Grandma Wilkins

Smash Cadet
As a Toon Link main, Lylat is easily my least favorite stage. Because Toon Link relies so much on his projectiles and his ability to run away, small stages like Lylat will take that away, making any game very hard. Also, Tink's tether has trouble connecting to the ledges on this stage for some odd reason.

I also dislike playing on Dreamland/Battlefield. This is really just personal preference, as I don't really like the platform layout on stages like this. But the platforms also give Tink troubles in setting up the wall, his greatest quality.

My best stage is Duck Hunt. Do I really need to explain this?

My second best stage is Smashville. The moving platform really puts this over FD, as you get opportunities to wall people out when the platform is on the side. And I get to go to it a lot, cause everybody loves Smashville.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I agree that Robin's best stages are BF/DL, but I disagree that T&C is bad. The low ceiling means that checkmate kills stupidly early. And the platforms can give Robin time to charge up Arcthunder/Thoron.

I agree that FD is his worst stage. No platforms means he has trouble landing and trouble pressuring, and the large length of the stage means that Robin has trouble approaching as well.

I think that Duck Hunt is his second worst stage, due to being essentially FD with some random platforms that offer little strategic advantage. You can charge Thunder in the tree, but that's about it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I love the idea of this thread, I'll contribute later, but I have a question: exactly what stages are you taking in account?
:196:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
For Kirby, Duck Hunt and Town & City. from what i've heard. Battlefield and Dream land are good too. IDK about worse

ecylisis

Smash Apprentice
I usually pick Smashville and Battlefield, but I never put too much thought into it.

I do hate Duck Hunt a lot, but that's probably just salt.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I am not in the comp. scene (yet), unfortunately, so I'd love to know which stages are optimal for Lucas and Corrin.

For :4corrin: I can easily see BF and SV as good picks, thanks to DL-B-reverse DFS and the overall movement options DL grant you here.

For :4lucas:, I am not certain. BF, DL all seem to be OK simply because the higher platforms will aid his killthrows, but that's about it.

Any opinions on those 2?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
For Rosalina, I think she likes Battlefield/Dream Land (Dream Land moreso because lower ceiling) and Town & City (same reason). Platforms in general are favorable to her IMO because she can use Luma to help pressure them.

I'm not fond of Final Destination with her. It's not bad, but it doesn't really offer her anything either. I also always strike/ban Smashville but that's personal preference. Sick to death of that stage...

Last edited:

0prah

Smash Rookie
For :4villager: I find that Duck Hunt is my best stage, the straight walls are great for F-smashing a recovery from bellow and the grass is good for hiding saplings. Battlefield/Dreamland (Dreamland prefered) are also good due to the platforms helping Villager's projectiles and also making it easier to get a tree up.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I was going to go around to each subforum and ask this question directly, but this is a good idea. I will contribute.

:4metaknight:

Picks:
• Town & City, this stage allows for kills 3-5% earlier on most characters with standard kill confirms when compared to Final Destination. It allows for a larger window to kill characters with his signature combo. It also provides platforms for both alternative ways of recovering and as an additional viable kill option with up throw.
• Duck Hunt/Lylat/DreamlandSmashville, the second pick is really match up dependent. Duck Hunt is a good stage to utilize against slower based projectile characters as it has the most stage land and the ducks interfere with projectile play. Dreamland is a solid stage overall as the platforms allow for combo extensions normally not possible while not inhibiting Meta Knight like Battlefield does, and Smashville allows for down air camping against characters that have a hard time against this strategy. Lylat I feel is an untalked big counterpick choice, but it is hard to say.

Bans:
• Battlefield, the top platform can interfere with Shuttle Loop combos and up air strings, and the ceiling height increases the damage needed for kills by about 7-9% on average compared to Final Destination. The platforms give opponents a place to land and hitting a dash attack is harder. The heigher ceiling also makes the signature combo impossible on many characters if they know the correct DI.
• Lylat Cruise, this seems counterintuitive, but most stages are fine for Meta Knight. However, unless the player is familar with the match up and how it plays out on Lylat, Lyat may not be a good choice. Many combos can drop or fail here due to the nature of the tilting. If it becomes legal, Umbra Clock Tower might be my next choice.

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
For :4tlink: I find that "Lylat Cruise" is hands down his worst stage. The tilting of the stage seems to gimp his recovery as well as mess with his projectile game pretty bad. "Dream Land" Would have to be his second worst. The wind can stop his combos as well as allow opponents to more easily rush in on him. Also It can be very risky to go for his down air spike due to the wind as well.

His best stages would be "Final Destination", "Smashville", and "Duck Hunt" due to having large open areas to space with.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
For Rosalina, I think she likes Battlefield/Dream Land (Dream Land moreso because lower ceiling) and Town & City (same reason). Platforms in general are favorable to her IMO because she can use Luma to help pressure them.

I'm not fond of Final Destination with her. It's not bad, but it doesn't really offer her anything either. I also always strike/ban Smashville but that's personal preference. Sick to death of that stage...
I agree that FD is bad for Rosa, but I'll take Smashville over Lylat any day of the week. I always strike Lylat with Rosa, I think it's her worst stage. (I secondary Rosa, btw.)

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:4ness: I like Smashville and FD. in Smashville Ness can kill easily with B-Throw/Uair, the platform allows F-Throw to kill, and Fair strings from the edge might kill. I also like FD for running away, playing mindgames and doing PKT shenanigans with no platforms to interrupt. I would never want to go Lylat. That place is really small, PK Fire doesn't work much, and recovering is a chore. I wouldn't like to go to TaC either. Even if it benefits Ness in theory, other characters benefit so much more it's not worth it (Sheik, Rosalina). From playing 3DS (If someone even cares about Ladder meta), I dislike Yoshi's Island for the same reasons I dislike Lylat and Arena Ferox is my favorite stage.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Also, does anyone have enough Bayonetta experience to say what her good and bad stages might be?
I know I don't like DuckHunt for her, ducks mess with combos very easily.
I despise Smashville because the balloons randomly disrupt them as well.
T&C at least has a lower ceiling to compensate the interruptions.

Dreamland is quite possibly her best stage.
Next could be a walled Omega, I'm not entirely sure.

She doesn't really mind anything else as far as I've experienced, not even Lylat's tilting is bad for her, most of her combos are done in the air anyway, and she doesn't really depend on a linear neutral.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I know I don't like DuckHunt for her, ducks mess with combos very easily.
I despise Smashville because the balloons randomly disrupt them as well.
T&C at least has a lower ceiling to compensate the interruptions.

Dreamland is quite possibly her best stage.
Next could be a walled Omega, I'm not entirely sure.

She doesn't really mind anything else as far as I've experienced, not even Lylat's tilting is bad for her, most of her combos are done in the air anyway, and she doesn't really depend on a linear neutral.
Lylat might actually be good for her if she tries to stay on the lower side of the stage when it tilts. That way her Bullet Climax could hit standing opponents from a greater distance.

</speculation>

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
In almost every case, I would probably say Smashville followed by Battlefield and/or FD. In the case of :4charizard:, I'd replace Battlefield with Omega Wily's Castle since it gives me a tiny bit more flex room with trying a Flare Blitz read. Generally speaking, I tend to go off of personal preference (e.g. Smashville) rather than specifically the character.
This omega thought has me very interested. As a corrin player I like having the walled sides to cling onto with dragon lunge.

I know the general rule's that if fd's banned, omegas are too and vice versa, but has anybody dealt with any issues choosing the walled omegas over fd? Like your opponent calling it "jank" and the to having to clarify?

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
At S@X, I know that Omega Palutena's Temple is the official "alternate" to FD, but I always heard it was for if a player has a problem with the changing background colors on FD, but any stage can be played if both players agree to it. (I remember seeing an official tourny match being played on Gamer...)

The walled omega stages is an interesting thought. I always liked playing with walled stages myself because it made Eruption edge guards easier. It'll be interesting to see if there are any broad rule changes regarding walled omega stages being alts for FD.

Parsec

Smash Rookie
I am not in the comp. scene (yet), unfortunately, so I'd love to know which stages are optimal for Lucas and Corrin.

For :4corrin: I can easily see BF and SV as good picks, thanks to DL-B-reverse DFS and the overall movement options DL grant you here.

Any opinions on those 2?
For :4corrin:I prefer Dream Land over Battle Field for the lower ceiling, better walls for Dragon Lunge ledge guarding, and the higher platforms make controlling DL easier on stage.

Genuine_Angus_B33F

Smash Rookie
:4yoshi:really depends. It depends on how you'll play the matchup. Camping, you want to go to Smashville or T&C, because the platforms are at a good height. You don't want Battlefield or Dreamland because it stuffs low eggs. Going aggressive means you want no platforms, because Yoshi can't do much with them, so FD and Smashville work.

:4zelda:Is quick. Her worst stage is definitely Dream Land, because you can't edge cancel with Up-b and Wispy's wind can kill you if miss the edge. Other than that... She doesn't have much of an opinion, and I just pick what the opponent wouldn't want.

Brokemon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3969-6508-7781
For :4pikachu: we all know lylat is amazing, it's usually the one that gets banned against a pika because you can QAC all over the stage and it makes it hard to play against a pikachu teleporting all over the stage. Battlefield is also amazing as the 3 platforms are relatively close together and it's easy to pressure the bottom 2 platforms as well as get easy jab locks by knocking people off the bottom platforms.
Pikachu struggles the most with flat stages like FD because it prevents him from taking advantage of all his tools (namely QAC) and he needs help killing so the lack of platforms to bring him closer to the blast zones also take away from his potential

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Battlefield and Smashville for Mario, but I'm sure that's common knowledge for anybody that's ever seen a Mario play.
Battlefield's platforms are arranged in such a way that it really helps with Mario's combos and aerials, and Smashville's platforms is nice to get some throws going. Up Throw>Up Air>Jump>Up air and Up B is a really deadly combo in that platform.
I guess I don't really know his bad stages... for the longest time, I actually couldn't play on Battlefield of all stages, I was really averse to playing there, and if you picked that stage against me, it was basically a free game for you. After a few all nighters playing on Battlefield only, though, that's far from the case, now. Lylat is pretty crazy for everybody so I won't say that. That leaves Town and City, Duck Hunt, Halberd and Final Destination, pretty much, all stages I'm pretty neutral towards.
Some of my best and some of my worst matches happened at Duck Hunt and Halberd (Halberd used to be one of my best stages, until I started training how to play on Battlefield, and now suddenly I can't play on Halberd to save my life), so sometimes I'm a bit scared to go to those, I'd rather not take the gamble.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
For :4corrin:I prefer Dream Land over Battle Field for the lower ceiling, better walls for Dragon Lunge ledge guarding, and the higher platforms make controlling DL easier on stage.
hey, thanks a lot for the information and welcome to smashboards! :D

LegendOfZeldaNut

Proud Bearer of the Triforce of Courage
For me as a Toon Link, I prefer Duck Hunt the most. I hate fighting on Lylat Cruise, it screws with recovery and spacing. Also hate FD but that is because I am so visually impaired that the changing colors make it near impossible for me to see anything, even with costumes that stand out, i.e. any white or silver costumes. Also, the_muffin the_muffin , is that Omega Temple thing official? Cause if it is that would make my week.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
:4dedede: I love going to Dreamland whenever I can with Dedede. Every single change from battlefield benefits him, and it's home field advantage after all! Plus the music gets me so pumped. It is almost always my first choice.
If dreamland is banned, I go for Final Destination, since it is large, easy to set up gordo traps on, and there are never any platforms in the way of an approach from above, which is Dedede's best approach direction due to his fall speed.

:4charizard: My first choice for Zard is Duck Hunt. It is a very long stage, and with Zard's great dash speed, autocancels, and attack power, that is very beneficial. Also the part that everyone fears, U-throws onto the top branch of the tree. I don't even have to use the U-throw there to get its benefit! Whenever someone finds themselves under the tree at mid-high percents, they instantly become extremely scared of my grab and basically just avoid that area. Because of this the tree is essentially a constant hazard zone for my opponent and I can make great use of that.
If DH is banned, I go to Dreamland. BF is already a decent setup for Zard, but the lower ceiling benefits him, so DL is slightly better. Zard has great options to pressure people on platforms and is pretty good on static platforms himself, so DL is just really solid.

edit: This is my post 420! *distant airhorn sounds*

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Hmm. Megaman is decent at every stage, so I'd say it depends on the MU what you really want. Minimizing your opponent's strengths is often the best course of action, but Smashville being small horizontally makes his throw kills at the ledge stronger. Unfortunately, his throw isn't that strong, so better throws benefit more.

But, I will give this piece of advice. Don't think you can camp a tree/platform directly above megaman... His projectile uair does more than 20% to shields, and can be fired fairly rapdily. Not even shield shulk can shield for long.

Routa

Smash Lord
Hmmm... I'm on mobile so I won't be going in depth, but this shall do for now.

:4miisword:
Good: DH/BF + T&C (with Chakram/without Chakram)

Bad: Lylat + SV

:4miibrawl:
Good: SV + Lylat with Helikick and BF + DL64 with PP
Bad: UCT+FD

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
:4zelda: often finds herself in a position where her best stage is whatever her opponent's worst stage is. Might have something to do with her place on the stage list... Barring that thought:

Best: Town and City, Battlefield

These are really debatable, I like them because of the easy ledge cancel visuals and platforms to mix up recoveries and punishes. Other Zeldas may prefer Final Destination or Smashville, which also have abundant ledge cancel opportunities.

Worst: Dreamland, Duck Hunt

Dreamland pretty much sucks for Zelda, since the wind/bottom of the stage affects you so much on ledge cancels, edgegaurds, and low recoveries. Also, unlike Battlefield, you can't utilt the platforms. Duck hunt in a pain for Zelda because other characters benefit so much more from wall jumps and stage size in general. Other Zeldas may suggest Lylat, but the stage is actually the one Zelda has the best mobility on, even if it accidentally kills her every now and then.

Kannon

Smash Rookie
:rosalina:'s best stages are easily Battlefield/Dreamland and Lylat. These stages allow for her to shark opponents under the platforms thanks to the best Uair in the game. This can also benefit her on stages like Lylat where the ledges are thinner, allowing her to poke through the stage at the cost of invincibility frames. I also prefer dreamland to Battlefield slightly because it's CQB is really beneficial with luma and everything that you can do with him. Also, the top platform is higher than on Battlefield. I've killed a pikachu at 29% on this stage thanks to Uthrow Uair Uair from the top platform.

Her worst stages are easily FD and Duckhunt. Any rushdown character can break her zoning that is typically created by the platforms. There's no reliable way to mix up your pressure without platforms due to her need to have stage control. The lack of platforms takes away one of her greatest stage control tools, her grab. A quick Uthrow Uair on dreamland immediately gives her control of the stage, but on these stages, its just a potentially lethal combo tool.

RedMoon2546

Smash Cadet
NNID
omi
:4tlink:: best are T&C and FD imo. T&C benefits from close class zones in all directions so I kill with up air and f smash or fair earlier. Final destination has not obstacles or platform so it's easier to use and hit projectiles. Duck hunt is also great. His worst are battlefield and for me personally dreamland. Both have platforms that make it hard to use bombs properly. Dreamland has the wind which screws me up when I edge guard. I like to use dair and try and two frame or spike them if the recover high or don't snap ledge, but the wind blows me of and makes me Sd.

Last edited:

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
my personal opinion

pika:
best: lylat & halberd (platforms and QAC techs).. could swap halberd for BF

worst: fd & smashville (theyre not bad for him, but they offer less advantages, fd with no platforms being the worst one)

Top Bottom