• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Hopes (not character, franchise, or physics related)

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
We all have our wishlists of characters and stages or our preferences about the finer points of how the game works. But that's not what this thread is about—after all, we already talk about those topics to death. =P

So aside from those things, is there anything that you dream of for this next Smash Bros? Maybe it's an aesthetic thing. Maybe it's a feature or game mode that you think would be neat.

For me, I really hope they include a more robust Stage Builder. A couple years ago I posted a very comprehensive blog post about how a better stage builder could work. You can still find that post in my personal blog, if you're interested. But the Stage Builder in Brawl felt so half-baked... I really hope they take it a step further.

Another thing I really hope they do is create a "buried" animation for the characters. Because seriously, just taking the first frame of a character's flinch animation and stuffing it halfway into the ground looks really, reeeally REALLY ugly. This is Wii U. I expect better. =P

One last thing before I leave it to you guys: I would REALLY love to see them take past stages and recreate them with shiny new graphics. Especially stages from 64 and Melee, which haven't aged well, visually.

So how about you guys? Any dreams? Remember, stay away from topics that are divisive. And give it some thought! =P

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh god I'm with you on the Stage Builder thing. Give us Nintendo backgrounds to choose from, and Nintendo items/effects and characters to choose from.

How hard is it to give me a DK Isle jungle background, and give me palm trees, Kremling/Tiki stuff and whatever to put around it, complete with water etc.

Or a Mario one? It goes on and on. I'd love me some HD past stages too. Fountain of Dreams is like the most orgasmic possibility imaginable.

I want trophies that are more like Melee's; celebrating obscure parts of Nintendo's past as well as the more familiar. Melee is how I even know how characters like Tamagon or Doshin the Giant even are. So yeah.

Also, Board the Platforms, and unique Targets. I know it's tough to design Target stages for ~50 characters, but come on. With a bigger team, it can't be impossible.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Ooh, that reminds me: USER GENERATED TARGET COURSES. It would be quite fun to challenge friends to take on one of your courses.

Each custom course would have to be associated with a single character. That way you can ensure that the course is even completable. XP

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ooh, that reminds me: USER GENERATED TARGET COURSES. It would be quite fun to challenge friends to take on one of your courses.

Each custom course would have to be associated with a single character. That way you can ensure that the course is even completable. XP

Oh! That's a great idea, and in order to actually make the course, you'd need to complete it with your assigned character first. I'm digging that. :shades:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Oh! That's a great idea, and in order to actually make the course, you'd need to complete it with your assigned character first. I'm digging that. :shades:
Frankly, if they let us create our own target courses, I'd be perfectly content if they only provided 5 generic, universal courses for the classic mode.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Definately agree with an improved stage builder. We should be able to move and rotate parts freely. I'd like for it to look less two-dimensional. And I'll never understand why Brawl doesn't let us choose platform colors.

Hong

The Strongest
I want options for every stage. Maybe we can choose one set time of day for Battlefield, add and remove hazards from Brinstar, etc.

It has nothing to do with wanting stages to be tournament viable. Even in four player free-for-alls, many of us just did not enjoy some of the features of Spear Pillar. :/

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I want options for every stage. Maybe we can choose one set time of day for Battlefield, add and remove hazards from Brinstar, etc.

It has nothing to do with wanting stages to be tournament viable. Even in four player free-for-alls, many of us just did not enjoy some of the features of Spear Pillar. :/

This would be awesome. I'd also like us to be able to choose any songs we want for any stage we want. So I could make a "playlist" of like my 10 fav songs and just have them on Battlefield or such. :p

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I can already tell it's not going to happen, but I really want the characters to go back to being toys or dolls instead of magically animated trophies. I hope the toy room from N64 is a stage. I also would like to see options for sound and combat special effects, such as the original arcade and comic book noises from the N64.

The trophy mini-game definitely needs to be more fun this time.

A user-friendly stage builder takes more effort than you think. What would completely stoke me out is if they bundled a stripped-down version of their production software as part of the game or as DLC.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
Character creation, like legit character creation, like Mortal Kombat Armageddon character creation. PLEASE SAKURAI!!!

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
A user-friendly stage builder takes more effort than you think. What would completely stoke me out is if they bundled a stripped-down version of their production software as part of the game or as DLC.
Awesome but lol!
Frankly, if they let us create our own target courses, I'd be perfectly content if they only provided 5 generic, universal courses for the classic mode.
Only if the target test stage builder is actually good unlike the one we got for stage builder. Sure conveyer belts might be interesting, but who wants a bland looking target contest stage.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
A user-friendly stage builder takes more effort than you think.

To create or to design? Because in my opinion, designing a stage builder isn't hard at all. But then again, I'm a designer by vocation =P I have to design UX and UI all the time.

But I definitely have an appreciation for how difficult it is to create a level editor in code. I'm an artist for a very small indie game developer. I had to use a very bare-bones level editor that one of our programmers had to build from scratch when developing our first game. It didn't even have an undo function, but even then, the code behind it was very complex. =P

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
When you put something new into the game, something else has to be taken out. Think of potential characters that could have got in if a stage builder was not included in Brawl. Think of the potential characters that could have got in if SSE was not included in Brawl. My issues with this idea is that the stage builder and all of its assests will take up too much memory for other things we truly want
To be honest, I never used the Stage Builder system in Brawl but I do understand that most of you do enjoy the idea of it coming back. I m just considering what could potentially be in the game over something else.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
When you put something new into the game, something else has to be taken out. Think of potential characters that could have got in if a stage builder was not included in Brawl. Think of the potential characters that could have got in if SSE was not included in Brawl. My issues with this idea is that the stage builder and all of its assests will take up too much memory for other things we truly want
To be honest, I never used the Stage Builder system in Brawl but I do understand that most of you do enjoy the idea of it coming back. I m just considering what could potentially be in the game over something else.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Something like a Stage Builder barely takes up any disk space at all, actually. The stage builder simply provides a visual interface with which to manipulate sets of code. Given the simplicity of the custom stage structure, I imagine the data for custom stages is also relatively small, with most of the heavy lifting done when the stage is loaded to be played, and all the assets have to be arranged on the fly. The editor itself is probably no more space-consuming than a slightly showy website, with visual elements like buttons being the most space-consuming.

As far as "something taken out for everything put in," you don't have a very good grasp of project management. =P The scope of a game has to be pretty clearly defined before the brunt of development occurs, and elements that are within that scope have primary priority. But most of the time they allot development resources to be available for more divergent design processes to occur so that when new, good ideas pop in the middle of development, they have people that can work on those ideas. So the absolutely necessary elements and the not-necessary-but-cool elements are being developed concurrently. But for the most part, everything you see in a game is planned well before release, with last minute additions of large features being rare, and usually when they are, they feel rushed. Like Stage Builder in Brawl.

Heck, the stage builder described in my blogpost is barely any more complex than the one that already exists, yet it already provides an entirely new level of depth. Heck, I bet members of this community have the talent to bring that thing to fruition.

Also, they have a much larger team and their disposal. They can very easily designate a small team to handle a stage builder without losing steam on more important things like character creation.

Sakurai has made it very clear that Smash Bros. needs to be more than just adding characters, so it's in his interest to provide new ways to make Smash Bros. have lasting replay value.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
First, it seems you have sadly been plagued by the dreaded double post. Second, while you are correct in pointing out that in order for resources to be allocated somewhere, the potential for them to be allocated elsewhere has been removed, you seem to have either made the assumption that all processes are serial, or all processes are embarrassingly parallel, both of which are false. Given they probably have some people who are more specialized in things like character design they can only take on some many characters at a time, thus assuming a some constant release date (though it isn't known to us) there is only the potential for some many characters to be made, regardless of what other available resources they might have free.

That said, I do think it is good to keep in mind, that they can only do so much, and so we can't expect them to have 70+ characters, with an individualized adventure mode for all of them that consists of 10 levels per character, and etc. For every crazy thing someone wants they should even out there expectations elsewhere; though honestly, it would be better if people didn't expect crazy things to begin with.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
The way you are explaining project management sounds like you know exactly what they are doing. I was just making a simple counter argument. Stage building does take up a bunch of memory and time. I'm not talking about the background art....I'm talking about each of the models that they need to create for the assests. Platforms, static art such as grass textures, trees (as someone mentioned earlier), collision on platforms and other obstacles, etc etc. That's a lot of memory....especially for what everyone is asking for. I understand how project management works and all the details of the game are set in stone before working on it. Im not too worried about time management....I'm worried about memory.

I'm also not saying that the stage builder is a bad idea, I'm just stating that potentially something else can be created in its place.

The actual stage builder is not.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Ugh I'm just going to wait to get home. All my sentences are getting mixed up from posting on my phone. Stupid technology!

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Mr. Showtime I seriously doubt Smash 4 can take 25 GBs (Let alone 50 if they chose to go the Brawl route). After all, without SSE and all the cutscenes, Brawl only took about 3.5 GBs and it has already been said that Smash 4 will have a simpler single player mode.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
The way you are explaining project management sounds like you know exactly what they are doing. I was just making a simple counter argument. Stage building does take up a bunch of memory and time. I'm not talking about the background art....I'm talking about each of the models that they need to create for the assests. Platforms, static art such as grass textures, trees (as someone mentioned earlier), collision on platforms and other obstacles, etc etc. That's a lot of memory....especially for what everyone is asking for. I understand how project management works and all the details of the game are set in stone before working on it. Im not too worried about time management....I'm worried about memory.

I'm also not saying that the stage builder is a bad idea, I'm just stating that potentially something else can be created in its place.

The actual stage builder is not.
Well you still did show concern for project management when you mentioned the notion that resources allocated to creating a stage builder would impede on the development of characters, which I wouldnt be the case if the directors are halfway decent and managing a project. That's what I was getting at. =p

As for assets taking up space, I think you'd find my "Better stage builder" blogpost interesting. It involved using trophies as stage builder scenery (not unlike diorama mode) in order to kill two birds with one stone.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Well you still did show concern for project management when you mentioned the notion that resources allocated to creating a stage builder would impede on the development of characters, which I wouldnt be the case if the directors are halfway decent and managing a project. That's what I was getting at. =p

As for assets taking up space, I think you'd find my "Better stage builder" blogpost interesting. It involved using trophies as stage builder scenery (not unlike diorama mode) in order to kill two birds with one stone.

That would make sense. If they took assets from either the levels that were already created, or models that have been already placed within the game for another reason; that could potentially work. Sorry was at work and have horrible connection of my phone, so it would have taken me a year or two before I saw your page lol.

I probably worded it wrongly in my first post, but your trophy solution pretty much counters what I was thinking.

I was trying to say that memory use could potentially be an issue for some other ideas else where. The models from trophies can allocate the memory quite easily if they keep that idea. I was using characters as an example because its such a touchy subject.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Multiple on screen appearances! More victory and loss poses!

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Maan I could go on all day. I've been storing ideas in my head since 2008.

1. Have trophies of obscure things be uniquely rendered. Most (all?) trophy models in Brawl were ripped straight from their games. Just not that fun compared to the ones made specifically for Melee.
2. Allow default options for matches. 2- min KO matches? No, 3 stocks is the correct default. Let us make the game remember that.
3. Return of bonuses. It may be so that half the time I couldn't even tell how I got some of the bonuses, but they're nice. Sure, I still don't have the Diskun trophy after 12 years, but so be it.
4. Allow replays to be longer than 6 nanoseconds.
5. Alternate sound effects. One option would definitely have to be Smash 64 sounds, but just in general, there should be different Sound Sets we could unlock. Think of the sound FX badges in Paper Mario TTYD.
6. More Event Matches that give us more super cool situations you couldn't find anywhere else. For example, the marathon event and trophy tussles in Melee.
7. Everyone gets unique victory themes. Also restore Ness's victory theme back to the glorious Melee one.
7.5. Speaking of Ness, restore that glorious sound his bat made in 64/Melee.
8. Customizable menu themes
9. A new stadium mode that's like Race to the Finish but more obstacle oriented. So, an Obstacle Course. Each of them is tailored to a specific character, e.g. Luigi's obstacle course involves high places because of his jumping ability.
9.5 To distinguish it further from RttF, maybe you have to hold something from start to finish. If you get hit, you lose.
10. Masterpieces that don't take 3 years to load and which end in specific points in the game rather than a specific time that begins as soon as the game begins, e.g. Super Mario Bros ends at the end of World 1.
11. Those little animations characters did when you select them on the character select screen in Smash 64. Baby come back.
12. A bonus video like the one in Melee. Maybe a behind the scenes with Sakurai as host.
13. A universal My Music. I'd sure like to use the game's whole list of music on Final Destination.
14. Some unique mode involving the GamePad. It probably won't be used in main gameplay (I hope it doesn't), but what if we could use it in Training Mode to affect the stage in some sort of God Mode, or how about to see in a first person POV?
15. Customizable items. Scribblenauts managed to do it decently.
16. PR videos like in Pokemon X/Y. You'd be able to utilize everything. Man, imagine the things you could make.
17. Board the Platforms + Target Test combination
18. Pokeballs that change appearance like barrels and crates. Aquatic stages have net balls, grassy stages safari balls, grand stages master balls, etc.
19. A temporary Unlock-Everything cheat. There are circumstances where I just need all characters/stages, like if I'm playing a younger cousin's copy and he sucks at unlocking things and I just want to enjoy some nice 4 player matches.
20. SSSUUUUUPPPEEEERRRR SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSHHH BRRROOOOOTTTHHEEEEEEERRSSS.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I always wanted Crazy Hand to have a larger impact on the story. It always interested me that such a bizarre character with such a unique persona was only fought on hard mode in arcade mode. Master Hand could represent you playing nicely with your toys, and Crazy Hand could be your annoying cousin coming round and breaking your toys. Perhaps if a character is destroyed in Master Hand's world in trophy form, they are unable to come back and fight again.

Here's my story in full:

It starts with Mario, Link, Samus and Fox all having a fun little brawl while Master Hand watches from above. This could serve as a tutorial for new players Mario beats all the other characters under Master Hand's guidance. Suddenly, Crazy Hand appears and begins annoying Master Hand by destroying the Battlefield arena they were fighting on. All the characters get separated and have to go through each others world while meeting up with new characters. The further you go on, the more distorted and warped the worlds become. The characters would have to fight villains and bosses from their own series, before seeing that Master Hand and Crazy Hand had been fighting, and their duel had been messing up the respective characters' worlds. Crazy Hand pummels Master Hand into the ground. Mario and friends try to defeat Crazy Hand, but lose. Mario tries to grab a Smash Ball and use his Final Smash, but Crazy Hand snatches it from him.

Crazy Hand discovers that the Smash Balls can grant users unlimited power matched only by is brother, Master Hand. He uses it to send the characters spiralling back into their respective worlds, but in doing so, also sends the Smash Balls hurtling through time and space. Crazy Hand makes it his mission to find all the Smash Balls and finally become as powerful as his brother. The worlds start to become really messed up, with enemies and characters being transported to the wrong worlds. It turns out that every major boss and villain from Nintendo have seized the Smash Balls and were working with Crazy Hand. Each villain is allowed only a few Smash Balls each while Crazy Hand steals the rest, but are still defeated by the heroes. In the final battle, Crazy Hand absorbs all the remaining Smash Balls and becomes the unbelievably powerful Dark God Hand, the embodiment of creation and destruction, but is forced to merge with Master Hand as well. It turns out that Master Hand anticipated that Crazy Hand would do this, so implanted every character with a timed Smash Ball that would go off after the Smash Bros tournament was supposed to be over. Every character becomes super charged and emit multi-coloured auras.

In the final battle, Crazy Hand is defeated, Master Hand is unmerged and the worlds return to normal. Perhaps in the finale, the characters see loads of other licenced characters from various media all applauding the Nintendo heroes for saving the Omniverse.

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
It would be neat if they if they gave us a lot more options for your characters color.
If they gave us the amount of options that Kof xiii did, it would be totally awesome!

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Maan I could go on all day. I've been storing ideas in my head since 2008.

1. Have trophies of obscure things be uniquely rendered. Most (all?) trophy models in Brawl were ripped straight from their games. Just not that fun compared to the ones made specifically for Melee.
2. Allow default options for matches. 2- min KO matches? No, 3 stocks is the correct default. Let us make the game remember that.
3. Return of bonuses. It may be so that half the time I couldn't even tell how I got some of the bonuses, but they're nice. Sure, I still don't have the Diskun trophy after 12 years, but so be it.
4. Allow replays to be longer than 6 nanoseconds.
5. Alternate sound effects. One option would definitely have to be Smash 64 sounds, but just in general, there should be different Sound Sets we could unlock. Think of the sound FX badges in Paper Mario TTYD.
6. More Event Matches that give us more super cool situations you couldn't find anywhere else. For example, the marathon event and trophy tussles in Melee.
7. Everyone gets unique victory themes. Also restore Ness's victory theme back to the glorious Melee one.
7.5. Speaking of Ness, restore that glorious sound his bat made in 64/Melee.
8. Customizable menu themes
9. A new stadium mode that's like Race to the Finish but more obstacle oriented. So, an Obstacle Course. Each of them is tailored to a specific character, e.g. Luigi's obstacle course involves high places because of his jumping ability.
9.5 To distinguish it further from RttF, maybe you have to hold something from start to finish. If you get hit, you lose.
10. Masterpieces that don't take 3 years to load and which end in specific points in the game rather than a specific time that begins as soon as the game begins, e.g. Super Mario Bros ends at the end of World 1.
11. Those little animations characters did when you select them on the character select screen in Smash 64. Baby come back.
12. A bonus video like the one in Melee. Maybe a behind the scenes with Sakurai as host.
13. A universal My Music. I'd sure like to use the game's whole list of music on Final Destination.
14. Some unique mode involving the GamePad. It probably won't be used in main gameplay (I hope it doesn't), but what if we could use it in Training Mode to affect the stage in some sort of God Mode, or how about to see in a first person POV?
15. Customizable items. Scribblenauts managed to do it decently.
16. PR videos like in Pokemon X/Y. You'd be able to utilize everything. Man, imagine the things you could make.
17. Board the Platforms + Target Test combination
18. Pokeballs that change appearance like barrels and crates. Aquatic stages have net balls, grassy stages safari balls, grand stages master balls, etc.
19. A temporary Unlock-Everything cheat. There are circumstances where I just need all characters/stages, like if I'm playing a younger cousin's copy and he sucks at unlocking things and I just want to enjoy some nice 4 player matches.
20. SSSUUUUUPPPEEEERRRR SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSHHH BRRROOOOOTTTHHEEEEEEERRSSS.
We should just make you Sakurai's content director.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Bring back the announcer from Smash Bros 64.

SUUUUUUUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH BROOOOTHERRSSSSSS
BOARDTHEPLATFORMSSS

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
This would be awesome. I'd also like us to be able to choose any songs we want for any stage we want. So I could make a "playlist" of like my 10 fav songs and just have them on Battlefield or such. :p
You and the guy who mentioned his favorite songs in Final Destination...

You might as well have one character with interchangeable movesets! Don't people understand that the whole point of Smash is to be a crossover of a lot of franchises with places, music and characters from different backgrounds? It might as well be called (Non)Super Competitive Generic Brothers.

My dream? A much better stage builder with objects from the games.
Quick unlocks with save files of certain games (Like, unlock Chrom quicker if you've got a completed FE: Awakening save file, like Rosalina in MKWii)
Expansive adventure mode with many stages from the actual games and bosses.
Automatic L-Cancel and total, absolute removal of all traces of wavedash.
Content from TV shows (Kirby: Right Back At 'Ya! opening, Pokemon Anime openings, DO THE MARIO!)

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
i wants me a crudload of pokeballs and assist trophies
i also wants me my board the platforms, race to the finish, and individual target tests back
and can i get a pokemon item that isn't a pokeball? a few TMs perhaps? (mmm i feel some thread creation ideas coming) i wanna see Dedede using fire blast :p

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Small movies that show how each character entered the smash realm:

Examples)
Mario - Mario finds a mysterious pipe that leads him to mushroomy kingdom. At the end he enters the castle and turns into a trophy and gets teleported into the smash realm. He gets shot by a weird blast and turns into a trophy. Then dramatic hand comes and throws his trophy into the boxing ring. Mario then gets outta trophy form and see's Bowser suspecting he caused this. He then proceeds to fight Bowser.

Fox - Fox flies his arwing into blue warp rings which bring him to a mysterious land. Fox see's a weird platform with someone on it. He decided to land on the platform which turns out to be battlefield. He then notices Samus in a defensive position. Seeing this he enters combat mode and prepares to fight.

Samus - Samus gets a distress call from a weird planet. She gets to the planet and is suddenly ambushed. She escapes the enemies and see's a mysterious portal. She stands next to the portal and investigates it. She is this kicked into the portal by the enemies and is teleported into the smash realm battlefield. She sees Fox arwing and gets in defensive position. Fox then comes outta arwing and gets into his combat mode when he notices Samus. They both prepare to fight.

Villager - After getting the letter into smash Villager realizes that he really has no way to get to the smash realm. Suddenly the magic school bus comes and Villagers gets into it. He is then transported to the boxing ring building and he rushes in excited he is in smash bros.

I really just want some form of cutscene showing each fighter to be honest. This would be kinda nice.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My hopes are almost entirely soundtrack-based. Based on the trailers we've seen so far, a good deal of the music is being lifted from the games, rather than remixed, which isn't inherently a bad thing, but if that's the approach they're taking, I want a really, really big soundtrack, bigger than Brawl's, because importing those songs into the game can't take that much of an effort, can it? A sizable number of quality remixes, orchestrated or otherwise, would be quite welcome as well. Either way, the game's music is something I know 100% I'll be able to enjoy, regardless of whether or not I end up getting the game, so I'm quite excited to see the final OST.

Top Bottom