• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Your guys thoughts on Smash Tour(Mario Party)

PF9

Smash Lord
I was hoping to like this mode, but so far it has proven to be the complete opposite. Why couldn't they put in an adventure mode instead?

I'm never touching this mode again once I have the stage I get for playing all three maps once.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I knew it was going to be boring ever since I've seen the 50 facts. I was right. I don't ever want to to touch this mode again. It is too random. Even if you win all matches, you can still end up losing a lot of characters from small things. Not only that but some matches are just ridiculous where you have to be cautious until you realize that it is timed and it starts to count down from 5. And who really wants to trust a cpu to do the match for you? It was painful playing through the 3 stages just to get pac land. You actually have to play the worst mode in the game to get the worst stage in the game. But pac land is for another topic... the final match was ok but I don't think you would like playing with characters you had little to no experience most of the time, and you see your opponents have your mains and secondaries that they probably stole from you. I do like the ridley boss fight, even though 4 people couldn't kill him on time (which is ridiculous since it's easy normally).

To put it in a nice way, smash and board games do not mix. Why play a boring board game of smash when you can just play regular smash or even stadium. I honestly rather play the great maze from brawl in intense difficulty twice than play this mode. Smash run can just make jokes about smash tour.

To those who like the mode, that's fine. It's not for me at all. If I wanted a party game experience, I'll play mario party. Heck, I rather play mario party with a broken controller against the hardest cpus and roll a 1 every time than play smash tour. You may think that is extreme for just a mode like this, and maybe you're right. I even went easy on it the first time but once I had to play more to unlock a stage is where it hits me.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Here's what Sakurai said about Smash Tour.http://www.gonintendo.com/s/244356-sakurai-explains-the-creation-of-smash-wii-u-s-smash-tour
I'm really not to happy with this. Every other board game I've ever played and Mario Party Island Tour are more fun than Smash Tour.
This.
-_-
Sakurai seems to think that unpredictability makes the game fun.
Yes... and no.
It's fine, given that the unpredictability comes from its players and not from the game's inherent design.
When people do it, it's the ultimate comeback during parties that keeps everyone excited. ANYBODY can have the potential to make a comeback and win.
But when the game does it players are discouraged from making a serious effort to win, because the game holds all the keys and could do anything it wants to nullify anybody's effort.
It's like playing a basketball match and then randomly switching the teams' baskets without saying anything so that teams end up screwing themselves over.

Sakurai even says that Smash Tour is unfair (like most board games in his opinion) at times. But the solution is not to add more randomness and unfairness to feel like you're wasting people's time. The answer is to GIVE people the CHANCE to turn the tables THEMSELVES.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
It's...probably my least favorite thing in the entire Smash Bros series. Like I sat here thinking of all the different modes in the past 4 games and I couldn't think of anything else I dislike more than this mode. It goes way too fast, the instructions are unclear, the boards are boring design-wise, it's too random, and the between-round battles are too short (as with Special Orders, 1 minute is not enough time for a battle).

People like comparing it to Mario Party but, other than both of them being based off board games, the two are nothing alike. Mario Party (especially the first 6) is a fun, charming game with fun minigames, a variety of boards, and a balance of strategy and luck that meant that players who were skilled enough could easily win (and 4 evenly-skilled players would make it incredibly fun). Its pace is near perfect; slow enough that you can plan out your strategy but fast enough that it doesn't stall. Things like items and board-specific events really add to the fun too. Smash Tour has none of these things. Each "turn" takes like 10 seconds and since everyone goes at the same time there is absolutely no chance for strategy (until you've played it so many times that you can react super quickly but even then it's still a stretch).

And I wouldn't mind this mode being as terrible as it is if it wasn't the main "single-player" mode of the game. It has its own space on the main menu and everything. 1P Mode in Smash 64 was a fun little distraction from the main game, Melee's Adventure Mode was one of my favorite parts of that game (although it got repetitive after awhile since the order of each event never changed), and the Subspace Emissary had a lot of cool concepts behind it (the cutscenes, while suffering from Brawl's terrible art style, were really cool). The only real problem I had with SSE was that the platforming levels were, for the most part, kind of bland design-wise and it would have been way better if they were based off different franchises (like if you took the platforming parts from Melee's Adventure Mode and expanded on them). And Smash Run in the 3DS version was pretty fun although the final battle was pretty lackluster.

Randomness can be fun to an extent but there's way too much of it here to call it "fun" (even the most recent few Mario Parties have been upped in the randomness side of things which is why I don't really like the series any more), and it's odd that Sakurai seems so proud of the fact that he made the mode so unpredictable when he's gone to such pains to balance the main part of the game. I really hope they didn't spend too much development time on Smash Tour because that would be really frustrating. But looking at it it doesn't look like nearly as much time was spent on it compared to Adventure Mode/SSE/Smash Run. Smash Wii U is pretty content-lite as it is and the fact that one of its few new modes is so terrible is really too bad.

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
It's no smash run but my friend and I played it when I got Smash Wii U and we both agreed it was rather fun to play. Guess we're just the minority on this.

D

Deleted member

I don't hate it as much as other people, but my god, that Metroid challenge. I don't even like the Parasite Queen theme. I just need it so I have all the songs.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
As I said another post, though Smash Tour is by far my least favourite game mode in the game, I had fun with it, and even if I don't have that many challanges left for it, I still play it when I feel like, after all the Smash Bros. thaughtful gameplay, I need for some crazy, uncontrolled and unpredictable randomness at his maximum strenght. Though somewhat I still menage to hardly ever losing the games so that may be just me.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I only used Smash tour to farm equipment that I needed in order to super farm crazy orders. But in all fairness if you play with all your friends its not as bad. Solo its unbearably boring, tedious and waste of time. With friends its less boring and you get to try out special moves you haven't unlocked yet. And how many great games do you know have little mini-games that are just there but non-essential? Doesn't one of the mortal kombats have a go-kart mini-game? At least we can appreciate the other 10 or more game modes in the game if you don't like smash tour.

And ok, lets be honest with ourselves here, there probably was several development sub-teams working on each different facet of the game. Realistically then just because one team was working on smash tour, doesn't mean that the other team working on characters would be affected by the smash tour team. So most likely this game mode did not steal time away from anything. Its hard for us players to fully fathom the development process but let me give you all a viable example.

"EXAMPLE ON WHY NOT TO HATE ON SMASH TOUR BASED ON THE ASSUMPTION THAT IT TOOK AWAY FROM THINGS LIKE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT IN SPOILER BELOW"
Let's take a look a movie's development process for a moment. I'm pretty sure we all can agree a video game needs more development time than your average blockbuster. So lets dive into the process of one of the best animated movie studios of all time, Pixar. Now to make your run of the mill Toy Story or Up or even Wall-E you have tons of employees each working in a team to handle specific tasks. you have several teams working on concept art, several teams working on story boards, and there are several scripts written up. each of these groups working nearly simultaneously. That's pre-production.

then after pre-production is squared away then you get your voice actors in, do a couple days of recording and bam, that's the end of the linear production. then you take the approved story board, character designs and recordings and give them to dozens upon dozens of animators to work on 1-2 scenes. The whole movie strung along piece by piece but at each animators pace with the particular piece of work they were given. just because Joe is working of the not so funny after credit scene, he isn't effecting Sarah's touching emotional scene, or henry's climatic ending, or Megan's witty banter scene. And the director isn't always watching over their shoulder as they make it, he'll probably walk in a couple times, give a tweak or two before and after the scene is finished. Other teams are also working at this time too, like the dvd menu guys, or the awful in dvd game guys, the sound guys, the orchestra, SO much is delegated to different groups of people to ensure that no one scene, or sound or menu gets any lack of attention. Heck they even delegate things like 'lighting' & 'textures' to different companies that specialize in that particular animation field.

So take Smash 4, and I guarantee that there was more than a handful of guys working on everything on their own. So while its easy to rage about a game mode and easy to blame this mode on the fact your favorite brawl character didnt make the character roster, the fact of the matter is, its not Smash Tours fault that :lucas::wolf:&:popo: aren't in the game. That was most probably a Directorial decision that took place during the pre-production phase, or somewhere mid way through.

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
Smash Tour is fun... sometimes... only when you aren't playing with CPUs. They're the worst.

I played using 4 controllers, by myself, to complete the Smash Tour specific challenges. Otherwise, I ain't touching that mode again.

At least it gives you a handful of prizes when you win.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Why can't they just replace it with Smash run?

From what I have seen, that was much funner (and with the Wii u, you can have several HUGE smash run stages.)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I almost have all the Smash Tour challenges done. However, the one where you have to recover the stats that a Metroid stole from you is going to be a tricky one, as your opponents are usually going to get to the Metroid before you, and snatch your stolen stat boosts.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
While it wasn't exactly unenjoyable, I feel that this mode isn't great. Too much randomness involved and the final battle where one character = one stock should have been a game mode by itself instead. I just played it for the challenges but I'm not going to go back to it anytime soon. Well, maybe with friends, but I'd rather play in the regular Smash mode to have fun with them. Also I hammered the Metroid challenge as it was the last Smash Tour related challenge I had to complete and I didn't want to go back too many times and pray to luckily beat it (the fact that a Metroid doesn't always appear in a Smash Tour game combined to the trickiness of having stat boosts stolen then gotten back make this a big no for me).

I think it would have been better if the one character per stock concept was it own game mode and we got a Melee-like adventure mode instead of Smash Tour.

Last edited:

AuraBreak

Smash Apprentice
Haven't played it a single time since I got the game on release day, I already know it's trash.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I wish it was more like Mario Party. I am talking the Mario Party that makes people want to yell at and assault each other... not the fun family car ride stuff that ruined the series.

That game can't be approached with the mindset of a an apex contender.

It is a dice based board game at heart... so there is a lot of luck. The amount of opportunities for momentum to shift is awesome. And above all else the countless chances for someone to be royally screwed over by either an opponent, or dumb luck.

This game doesn't have all those opportunities... yea dropping a 100% damage item on someone when they draw their best character is fun but it doesn't have the same feel as magic lamping to the star that person was 1 space away from, laughing as the ? space ruins plans 8 turns in the making, using a money stealing item right before a foe reaches the shop, throwing a mini game to mess up your randomly selected team mate(s), or the dreaded stealing of stars. Those moments make that series... or made them prior to the stupid car ruined everything.

The way items are given out, instead of purchased over simplifies game play. There isn't that big objective to take from somebody. Isn't much significance of where a player lands.

I had hoped for a much more Mario Party like experience. I actually think the mode is fun enough... but lots of untapped potential.

Side note: sense they have the technology an option where players can choose a line up of fighters to bring into stock match should have been available outside of Smash Tour.

Needing to chose between buying a character, or a possible game changing item, dueling glove type item that would force someone into a 1 on 1 match with a bet of the item user's choice... this could have mixed well and been great.

Last edited:

Pikachu24Fan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pikachu24Fan
3DS FC
4725-8122-1698
I feel it was alright the first time, though the more I played it the more I disliked it since it just got boring after awhile and we were already satisfied with the co-op classic and other modes so after useing it to complete the specific challenges, im planning to not really touch it again lol.

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
If it is to stick around, it needs to have an online option IMO.

Against a comp player every time just isnt that fun.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
One thing to say and one way to say it:
I hate the Latias and Latios item.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
no just no. I wanted adventure Mode and I'm getting sick and tired of the Lack of it Spread #WeWantAdventureMode With #Smashbros please.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Smash Run > Smash Tour

Smash Tour would have been a whole lot better if you were allowed to select a character beforehand (and no I'm not talking Miis). And the amount of RNG in that mode is horrendous. You have to hope that you're able to get whatever stat boosts, trophies, and characters that you want, provided that the CPU doesn't get to it first. I always feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage every time I play Smash Tour.

I just went "screw this ****" and used a golden hammer to unlock Pac-Land. There's no way I'm going to play three different maps just for a stage. I don't even think I would even play this mode with my friends.

Last edited:

TheRealBlueBlur

Smash Apprentice
It has its issues, but it isn't as bad as people make it sound. Was Smash Run flawless? Definitely not. My main issue is the limited customization options in comparison to Smash Run. No Powers, only random custom sets, and you must play as your characters cards in order. Some of the trophies make you temporarily broken (Black Knight, Latios and Latias), while some others are nearly useless (Phosphora, X Bomb). I also don't like how the stat boosts are handled. In Smash Run, you could get 6x1000 stats if you played well enough with customization. Will that happen here? Not even close...

Regardless, It is a decent mode in my honest opinion. Since it was revealed so late in the games development, It probably was a rushed mode anyway.

On another note, I'm surprised so many people want Adventure Mode. I didn't care for it in Melee at all. It's just a tweaked Classic with far less variety between playthroughs in my opinion.

Last edited:

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I went in expecting not to like it, I was right. I would've rather had an Adventure mode like Melee's or Smash Run. I only played it until I got Pac-Land, after that I never touched it lol Honestly if I want to play this sort of game (board game sort of thing), I would play Mario Party or an actual board game. I'm sorry, I'm sure the devs put some time into it but most people would prefer just a simple Adventure mode

RareMan7

Smash Rookie
Love the concept, loathe the execution.

I wanted to like Smash Tour, I really did, but it's just so random that none of your actions feel like they have any sort of impact. If they could have fixed that and made the boards more interesting, I think I would have liked the mode a lot more. Something more Mario Party-eqsue with Smash Bros characters would have been amazing.

Last edited:

LZCXR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LZCXRR
Neither me nor my friends are particularly fond of Smash Tour, we only touched it once and NEVER came back to it, if we wanted to play Mario Party we would play that instead
Here's what Sakurai said about Smash Tour. [[LINK IN ORIGINAL POST]]
I'm really not to happy with this. Every other board game I've ever played and Mario Party Island Tour are more fun than Smash Tour.
Exactly my point Sakurai...no, even when I play with (and I still think I am a) casuals they only touch Tour out of Curiosity, I feel that he was really misguided this time (also the "NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION!" mentality in that post...ugh...)
Since it was revealed so late in the games development, It probably was a rushed mode anyway.
That's actually a pretty interesting theory, but yeah I would have liked an expanded Smash Run (maybe something akin a bigger Great Maze) more than Tour

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
That being said, it's still better than Subspace Emissary for a single reason: you can unlock things from it without even playing it. I've been doing nothing by having my Gamepad passively play Smash Tour for the past three days and have brought in 75 new custom moves as a result.
^^^^

All day.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
It's Mario Party

...if every single space on the board was Chance Time. Or if you haven't played Mario Party, think of Smash Tour as a regular Smash Bros. Brawl match where every step caused you to trip. Yeah. It's that bad.

You have no control at all over what happens due to how chaotic it is. Everything happens at once so fast that it's difficult to understand what just happened.

That being said, it's still better than Subspace Emissary for a single reason: you can unlock things from it without even playing it. I've been doing nothing by having my Gamepad passively play Smash Tour for the past three days and have brought in 75 new custom moves as a result.
Wow really? anyone else try this?

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
^ Yes, I'm doing it right now as we speak. I still need customs for 14 characters, but without looking them up I'm pretty sure I have at least three for all of them. I've completed probably 25 characters this way.

The main appeal to it isn't really the speed of getting customs. It's simply having a way to get customs when you can't or don't feel like playing.

Last edited:

TroperCase

Smash Cadet
Some of the underlying design is good, but a lot about how it plays isn't fun. I used to play it against the computer from time to time and got pretty quick at it, but then it got far too easy to win. If I could mod it, I'd change a lot:
- Remove all the blue items entirely, meaning no "select your item" phase on the board. Much as I hate to slash the work that went into these, they take up more time than they're worth.
- Because of above, remove item hand-outs at the start of each turn (but still give pity fighters for players who don't have any)
- Up the chance of Team Battles to 50% so there's a concept of shifting teams (you're still competing to get a KO when teamed up with someone)
- For the Smashes with certain items switched on: less frequency of them, more kinds of them, removal of hammers from Battering Item Smashes.
- More kinds of Smashes in general if feasible. Like one player at random is made giant and the other three are teamed up. And a four-player competitive Multi Man Smash.

Also, it's a shame you can't just play the Final Battle only with the fighters of your choice. That should be a mode under Smash.

Then there's that time when you finally get your main, only to realize they have custom moves and thus you lose them after the match.
That the Customization option at work. You can turn it off from the upper-right part of the screen before starting a Tour.

Last edited:

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Could have been smash run on both versions, that'd be much better

A-9

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoctorBored
Without repeating everything that has been said already, one thing I did like about Smash Tour was the last battle format, the all-star one. You have a couple of characters instead of one (hopefully) and that's that.

Now if this would only have been brought to the special fight selection, it would be great. But (for) now it's just there, hidden behind a unappealing game.

D

Deleted member

Smash tour is a waste of a game mode slot. Should have made Smash Run across platforms. Or better yet, SSE 2.

CCD23

Smash Cadet
Well, Smash Tour is certainly not the most ideal mode for a Smash Bros. game. I didn't care for it too much as first. However, as a lonely Smash player in an isolated small town with crap Internet, I've been playing various 1-player modes and have come around to liking it more. (I've also been trying to farm custom moves, and Smash Tour seems to be the most effective.)

The key for a better Smash Tour experience is to learn how to manage the chaos to keep the randomness at a minimum.

In general:

Get rid of custom fighers! The first thing a person can do is to turn off custom fighters at the board selection screen. (Unless you're extensively familiar with all 300+ custom moves.) The reason for this is so that the CPUs are more predictable, and therefore, more manageable. It also allows a person to play with each character's default moveset. Playing with a character whose specials (especially recoveries) you are not familiar with puts a person at a severe disadvantage.

Use items strategically! This applies to all Smash Tour items (used on the board and at the start of each battle), as well as the items that spawn during some "themed" battles. (E.g. Shooter Smash, Exploding Smash, etc.) So if you aren't familiar with the normal battle items, take the time to get used to them offensively and defensively. (E.g. The Ore Club makes a great item to hit with a charged smash attack, especially at high damage.... Knowing when to air/spot dodge a Warp Star makes Warp Star Smashes much, much easier. Things like that.) The final battle of Smash Tour is also continuously peppered with items anyway, so it would be prudent to learn more about the items if you're a stereotypical "Fox Only, Final Destination, no items" type player.

As for the Smash Tour items, for those used on the board, pay attention to your opponents (e.g. where they're headed, what checkpoints they need, what items they have, etc.) Then, use what items you have accordingly. Is an opponent headed this way? Perhaps that would be a good time to lay down that Zinger or Tetra. Are you going to cross paths with someone and you have a Dillion? Use it and send them flying! As for the items used at the start of battles, use items that would be the most effective for that battle theme. (E.g. Use the Franklin Badge during Shooter Smashes to reflect those annoying projectiles. Or if you're entering a 300% Smash with an Energy Tank, use it to reduce your damage to 200%. Alternatively, you could use a Plasm Wraith and shield to recover some of your damage. In either case, recovering some of your damages gives you the advantage.)

Know what stat boosts you have and play accordingly. Adjust your playstyle accordingly. By default, I tend to play offensively and relentlessly pursue opponents. But, say if I have high speed and jumping stats entering an Explosion Smash, I might be better off running/jumping away from the fray to let one, two or all three of my opponents kill themselves before being mixed up into the chaos. After that, then I can work on picking off the last one or two opponents.

Anyway, I could go on. That's just the tip of the iceberg of random strategies/tips I've discovered about Smash but I'll stop here. I've been thinking about creating a guide for "a better Smash Tour experience" (I have a capture device and could add screenshots and videos to it) but I know this mode isn't well liked, so I dunno. What do you guys think? Is it worth my time?

ZeekLTK

Smash Cadet
This is the key, and why Smash Tour is actually good - if you have to do something else or just don't feel like playing at the moment, you can still unlock stuff by leaving the game on and starting a 25 turn Smash Tour. You unlock at least 2 custom moves per time through, and it seems like it usually always gives you NEW moves rather than the Master/Crazy Orders which often give you moves that you already have.

I'm very glad to have Smash Tour in the game - I wouldn't have nearly as many moves collected without it... although I still have a long way to go. Have only collected all the moves for four characters so far (Link, ROB, Samus, and Duck Hunt).

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I have been giving this mode several goes and have learned many things to watch out for, but the computers are somewhat aggravating. I've been trying to get some of my friends to play with me, but they tend to not play for more than one round, if at all. Even then, it's normally their first time, so they fall victim to many traps or just wander around aimlessly.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
Definitely preferred Smash Run over this. I stopped playing it after I completed the challenges for it. Smash Tour could be fun with pals around, buuuuut since I'm alone, (*sniff*) I just was not feeling it, overall.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Smash Tour would be fine if challenges weren't involved. Unlike most people here, I actually don't have four controllers, and that complicates matters.

Top Bottom