• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your flaws in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
You ever found a major flaw and then correct it and feel proud of yourself?
For example, I used to input the grab button as soon as i shine and then end up holding the shine because my reflexes is too fast. But then I input the grab a little bit slower by a frame then got the input grab after the shine.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I used to always light shield after a wavedash, I fixed this by sort of sliding my index finger over the r button quickly but soon noticed this effected my properly doing multiple wavedashes without messing up(it made me jump not sure if the press was too light or I pressed it too quickly during the jump input) now I'm just working on consistent multiple wavedashes without jumping or shielding afterwards.

I don't know about other people, but it's hard to see improvement until you actually think of what you could and couldn't do before. I watched a video a couple months ago and was like, this is what I'm shooting for. I forgot about that video, went back t it and said wow, this is what I was shooting for but I passed it so long ago.

Svetsunov

Smash Apprentice
Admittedly it took me a while to be able to L-cancel more than 50% of the time. Now i can do it no problem. Especially since i play a lot of young link it feels like lifting weights off of my feet.

Massive

Smash Champion
My biggest flaw is that I don't get to play people more frequently than once a week.

That might change in the near future though...

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
My real flaw is having friends that only play **** Fighter 4 and Ultimate Scrubs vs Capcom instead of Melee (or at least SF2 or Marvel vs Capcom 2, but that'll never happen since they say that "They are extremely difficult games to play and they don't have graphics" which automatically makes me want to kill someone, but whatever) so I can barely practice.

Bing

Smash Master
I found out that I suck at this game. I still haven't fixed that yet.

:phone:
Same issue... it makes me sad :(

My biggest flaw is that I don't get to play people more frequently than once a week.

That might change in the near future though...
I wish that would change for me... I play others once a month at the Toronto monthly tournaments...

Fixed.

JK DK's legit

My flaw if my style right now, is movement and consistency is drill/nair shines

ugh lol

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
My real flaw is having friends that only play **** Fighter 4 and Ultimate Scrubs vs Capcom instead of Melee (or at least SF2 or Marvel vs Capcom 2, but that'll never happen since they say that "They are extremely difficult games to play and they don't have graphics" which automatically makes me want to kill someone, but whatever) so I can barely practice.
I feel you man

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
I know a friend that uses R for jumping, surprisingly he plays very well with his Falcon, problem is he assassinates the R button in all controllers to quickly, I once lent him one of mine and it ended up stuck and now sometimes when I press it stays stuck.

Bill_the_Duck

Smash Cadet
Rolling too much. I lose confidence in my ability to wavedash at the lengths and timing I need when I play highly technical C. Falcon/Fox/Falco players and that makes the problem even worse and I get slaughtered :/

Focusing too much on one aspect of my game, to the exclusion of others. I find a key to a matchup, and then I focus too hard on that and lose the rest of the matchup.

Playing stupidly when I'm losing. I get waay too aggressive if I lose an early stock or two, especially if it is a SD.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I know a friend that uses R for jumping, surprisingly he plays very well with his Falcon, problem is he assassinates the R button in all controllers to quickly, I once lent him one of mine and it ended up stuck and now sometimes when I press it stays stuck.
How does he jump with R? You can't alter controls in melee.

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
P:M forgot to mention that. We play in my college P:M most of the time (at least we did, now they just play as I mentioned earlier, **** Fighter 4 and such) now it's just basically me and sooooooometimes some of my other friends play Melee (we stopped with M because it was 14 character roster and not too many people didn't like to not have their main char in there lol)

(On another note there is an action replay code that allows you to remap buttons in Melee, but that is off-context with what I was stating)

EDIT: toaster aren't you supposed to be studying? (just saying)

Blu

Smash Apprentice
I'd say one of my biggest problems with my game-play right now is that I've always moved the analog stick exceptionally early when attempting to wavedash. This leads to some major problems technically, which I'm still in the process of fixing:

(1) Moving the analog too early while wavedashing OoS can easily cause you to roll if the jump button is not reached in time. The only way I've been able to compensate for this is by using the dexterity usually associated with UTilt: moving the analog slowly enough to where the roll doesn't register. The problem with this is that I sacrifice time in a game in which every frame counts; it also moves my shield, which can easily lead to unnecessary shield pokes.

(2) Whenever I attempt to use the space animals, waveshining in the opposite direction I'm facing and staying faced the opposite direction is almost impossible. The shine is more touchy than shield in that the analog input is recognized with much smaller movements (most likely due to the fact that you can't "move" the shine like you can a shield). Therefore, the analog has a much smaller frame window for input if you don't wish to do a shine turn-around before the wavedash. I cannot even begin to explain how frustrating this is...

Another biggie is my inability to L-cancel consistently during a SHFFL with fast-fallers if I'm not actually hitting an opponent with the aerial. That time window is just ridiculous to have to react to.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
i dont powershield, mainly because i ONLY use L
just started working on that, implementing using R, but i always accidently hit the x button with the palm of my hand this way lol

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
If playing defensively, I always use roll dodge to avoid attacks. I don't normally use the sheiks pr spot dodge, so I don't use all my options when on the defensive.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
welp. I realized that I'm slow, so I'm currently trying to better my ability to move around the stage (working on wavelands and such)
realized that I miss lots of ledge techs, so I'm trying to fix that.
realized that if I get hit off stage, and my opponent runs after me, I ALWAYS jump. Really need to stop doing that.
I'm very inconsistent with edgeguards, have no Idea how to fix that.
Have trouble playing as aggressive as I want, need to fix that.
When I play defensive, I sometimes derp-roll.
My tech rolls get predictable... don't know how to fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom