• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your first experience in a Tournament.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Sup, guys! I've just had my first experience in a tournament today in my area, like I said days ago. I've won Round 1 and was 2-stocked twice at the Round 2. At Losers Bracket, I've had three close games (2-1 for my opponent), but lost. However, I've learnt many new things and had my first "big" (not so much, since it had less than 50 people) experience in the community. Not giving up, I will try harder and harder. I would like to hear some histories from you Smash Veterans! It's always nice to hear about how we grow in Smash, and remembering how it began is always refreshing. :4kirby:

moref17

Smash Rookie
Well let's see, my first legit tournament was a Smash 4 local of 44 people, I made it past round one with my Marth/Zelda versus a Megaman. Next round, I got bodied 2-0 by a Greninja, and in Loser's I lost to a R.O.B./Pikachu. Worst part was I had the lead in the R.O.B. match. But it was still fun and I hope in the future I can attend more, although I am a scrub and I wanna get a lot better.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
The first one had around 60 people my profile picture comes from there on first roun i won game one vs an alph but got bodied by a diddy then on losers i was vs a ness wher i caused some hype because on game 2 i got victory with a captain falcon dair but on game 3 i got bodied Overall a good experience

Raijinken

Smash Master
I was told I had a bye, my opponent showed up late, was allowed to play, verbally taunted me as he wrecked me, and left without shaking hands.

Needless to say, I was very sour toward tournament players for several years after that.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
First tournament was a PM 2.6 side event to Brawl. I don't remember who I played in Losers, but I was sent there by freakin' Tyrant on Game 1. Good seeding.

It was actually pretty exhilarating for me.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
My first tourney was a Brawl/Melee tourney back in 2010. I was actually pretty decent so I was able to win a few rounds before being knocked out by a meta knight :p Overall it was a total blast and made me want to go to more tournaments and now I go to one basically every weekend!

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
  • Didn't bring a gcn controller so I had to borrow someone's modified one
  • Nervous as hell r1 and got bodied by a wario (takeover's); shook hands.
  • Calmed down and played better r2 against tantlus' metaknight; still lost cuz it was Brawl. Shook hands.
  • Got to see M2K and Nairo up close in person.
Was pretty good overall.

Last edited:

Antunee

Dinkey King
NNID
Andami
My first tournament (Brawl; single elimination) was almost two years ago. It wasn't too big, maybe 20-30 people. I somehow made it to semi-finals with Link. Ended up getting two stocked by an Olimar, who later won the tournament. I still have no idea how I made it that far. Not only is Link Triforce tier in Brawl, I had also only picked him up a few days before the tournament.

Still my best tournament placing. I'm lucky to place top 8 in local Sm4sh tournaments. :(

Last edited:

Bombchu Link

Banned via Administration
NNID
Arwing-Y
Played in a local tourney of about 40 people I lost in winners bracket against a Pit in sm4sh and then plowed me way through losers bracket as Toon link with my trusty boomerang and bombs to quarterfinals.. then lost to the guy running the tourney.

he was a dang good shiek main.

I had a great time. :]

E: turns out the guy was @T0MMY

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
Smash 4 3DS, day-1 (well day-2 technically) tournament. Alot of people showed up. My first time touching a 3DS, i entered the tournament on a friend's. Played Zelda for a few minutes in the car.

First match. Short hop backwards, Dins Fire, kept floating, 5 second self-destruct.

The_World

Smash Cadet
My first tournament was this years Spring Fighter. I got knocked out of losers in my second round, but I had a great time regardless. My friend came with me, and he got two rounds into losers because neither of his opponents showed up. It was also pretty cool to see pro players in person, although I didn't have it in me to say anything to them.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Oh man, it was a Brawl tournament years ago.
I played friendlies with this fantastic IC main and got bodied so hard people thought I was sandbagging, but I told that guy I used ICs as well and he let me know that setting X to grab on a GC controller is an excellent idea, I've done it ever since.

Anyway, I made it to about round 2 before getting knocked to losers and then being taken out by this really good MK. I had a good time.

That IC went on to place third by the way.

AlexKO

Smash Rookie
I played in my first tourney last week, a Smash 4 singles tourney with pools and a double elimination bracket. Glad I did. I did a lot better than I was expecting. There were about 40 players in the tourney.

I went 5-2 in my pool and took 2nd in my pool and made it to the bracket portion. Would have been 6-1 had I not let Delfino stage movement kill me when I was up a whole stock in a game 3.

Went 1-2 in the bracket portion. Won my first bracket match 2-0. Got kind of unlucky to meet the best player in the tourney in round 2, he did not lose a match the whole day and won the whole thing. So I made it to the 2nd round of winner's bracket. Lost my 1st losers bracket game unfortunately.

Took 9th overall out of the 40ish players and finished the day with a 6-4 record. Met a lot of cool people. So glad I went, it was a blast.

Last edited:

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
It was a local Smash 4 tournament a month ago. I went up against a lot of good players but in the end I was able to win. Overall I met a lot of cool people and I had a good time.

JS2D

Smash Cadet
Ha ha, my first tournament was some months ago. I was so nervous throughout all my matches that whenever I wanted to MOVE, I'd end up smashing. I still get the shivers whenever I think about it :(

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
My first tournament was back before this game was released, a Melee local in my town. It was my first time playing and I went Ice Climbers, but I sucked with them. I switched to Peach the next locals and became better and better with her as time went on. I remember that experience because there were only 15 of us there. All these guys were tight, talked about the game in ways I didn't understand then, but were all very warm and welcoming to the noob at the time. I instantly was sucked into the game and got determination to get better.

Another thing I really liked about my first tourney were the possibilities that opened to me later on. The first day, the host was talking about getting a group photo: I volunteered since I work at a creative studio in my University and have experience. Because of Smash, I have experience that has been helpful to put on a resumé: there's more than just the game, there's the community and life experience you gain.

As for my first Smash4 tourney, the first legit one I went to was the Come Up in Toronto. I remember it very well because of the community as well: I skipped over Brawl myself, but meeting all the former Brawl players along with the newcomer smashers made me feel warm and fuzzy, the Canada Smash-fam is one of the best to be a part of.

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
My first tournament was SSBM. A small get-together of about 8 friends at a close friends house. I practiced my main at the time, Falco, for weeks leading up to it. Our host had been talking up his brother's Marth for a while and I was hoping not to have to face him early on.

Wouldn't you know it... I'm set to play him in the opening match. I lose my first match by 2 stocks. Then, I come out swinging in the next two matches and win. I went on to winners finals and lost, setting me up to play losers finals. Ended up losing in losers finals but got a satisfying third place for my first tournament experience.

Ferntendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ferntendo128
3DS FC
2724-0900-1828
My experience was a cluster****. You know why? Because items were on. It was Nintendo Open Tournament. Granted it was hosted by Nintendo but still it was very unprofessional from the tournies that I attend to today.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
First Smash 4 tournament was the first weekly at my university about a few weeks ago, with 12(?) people attending. Got third place with Olimar; got knocked out of loser's finals by a Peach player 0-3.

I did attend a Brawl tournament at some video renting store a long time ago, but there were only 8 people, it was single elimination, best of 1, only default characters, and Final Destination only. I don't think that really counts.

Crilixz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crilix
My first Tourney was one not so great. Actually Happened this last Weekend
It was Doubles, and I almost never doubles. i Teamed with my brother in a 32 Team Round robin. We won 1 match, and lost all 3 others in very close games, differentiated by 1 stock. Our lack of teamwork was our downfall, but i still had fun.

SupertheJake

Smash Rookie
My first was last night and it went way better than I was expecting. I thought I was gonna get destroyed, but I made it to losers quarters. I even won a match against a guy who I was told was one of their better players. And more importantly, I met a lot of really cool and nice people!

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Just had my first tournament recently with an average of 20+ people and it was a blast and fun experience.

I have never played in an actual tournament let alone a Sm4sh one. Neither did I ever play on a Wii U version of Sm4sh (been 3DS here since I got it.)

However, I played with a GameCube controller and since I've played some Melee in my times playing Sm4sh and I know a great deal of info/fundamentals in Smash 4 in general, I guess you could say I was a natural.

My first 1, 2, and 3 games I 2-0'd each of them (I honestly thought I would lose a lot here but they put up a good fight.) My 4th game however was a best of 3 and I lost being it 3-1 (The person I was playing with WAS really good, his Luigi doe) and the time was getting late so I had to forfeit the tournament.

It was a GREAT experience though, I finally got a taste of what competitive smash has to offer and I met so much people who had the same interest as me in my area which I never thought anyone played Sm4sh to begin with but overall I loved it.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
I will never forget my first tourney. It was back in brawl, I was about 14 or 15 and I was extremely nervous. I usually wrecked everyone at home but I was convinced I wasn't that great and it was just "circle of friends syndrome." First match in pools I went Diddy against this marth player and the guy got absolutely torn to shreds. Like, 3 stock and a 2 stock; he was just eating **** to bananas repeatedly. Even though I didn't get very far in the braquet I achieved my goal of making it out of pools easily. it really gave me the confidence to continue competing for real and cemented my love for Diddy kong, who happens to be a force of nature in smash 4.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I went to a tournament where they were testing out 3v3 Customs On, and I decided to go with a friend and his brother. We ended up running a G&W/Ganon/Little Mac which ended up being a terrible team in practice, not to mention that they had wi-fi backgrounds so they were using For Glory tactics against relatively decent players around my area. Generally, they stood in place and tried their luck with F-Smash while I was basically helpless because it was a 1v3 against people that could realistically beat me in a 1v1. I also disliked Ganon and Mac's collateral damage that made me even easier to kill. We were down to our last fight and my friend decides to switch to Dedede because it's his worst character. To be honest, I was kind of pissed because he basically left us out of luck by deliberately making it easier for the opponent. Another problem is that my friends kept speaking over me when I was trying to ask about custom moves, and we ended up getting cheesed by the set-ups instead of taking the time to educate ourselves.

I had plans to stay for 1v1, but my friend's father was carpooling and they had to leave early because the brother apparently had a doctor's appointment. It was kind of a shame too, since I had a glimmer of hope when I was paired up with a R.O.B. during friendlies and we had good synergy for guys that have never met. R.O.B. supported me while I was racking up damage with G&W, I even got a hype spike against the opposing Luigi player. I trained specifically for 1v1 anyways so I was disappointed to hear that I had to leave. I'd 3v3 again, it's chaotic fun but my friends ironically made it less enjoyable.

tl;dr: Had a crappy team in a 3v3 tourney, couldn't do 1v1 because I had to leave right when I started to feel like I could win

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
My first experience was about a couple years ago, around 08'. Back in the Brawl days. Was a new player and I mained Ganondorf.
Safe to say, I got bodied in my first tourney. Kinda got discouraged after that but I attended it a couple of times in a year. Later on in Brawl's lifetime I switched mains to Snake. With the main switch I managed to break top 8 in my first time ever. Was pretty happy with the results but I missed Ganon. Switched back to Ganondorf, my placings dropped but I was happy playing him again.
From that day onward, I became more active in my community and try to attend as many times as I could.

That's my story.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
My first experience was actually yesterday. I'm in central-east coast Florida. I was at the tourney from 11 am til 9:30 pm and exhausted afterwards. I went in all Diddy Kong because and I had a SUPER close first match with a Yoshi player but won it. My body was like paralyzed *not literally* for a few hrs after that because of how close it was. Lost to a god-tier Wario player, beat out a more casual lucina player in r2 losers, then just barely got taken out in r3 losers by a falcon player. This was over the span of 10 hours and I have to say it was super fun. I met a few REALLY COOL people and the friend I went with also had a great time. But I have to say I will come more prepared next month *It's a monthly local basically across the street from me* as in bring snacks and drinks because my friend and I basically RAN to mcdonald's because we were so starved and almost missed our matches. But overall it was an AWESOME time and if anyone has any doubts about attending a tourney or joining in on your local's action don't doubt, just try it out, everyone is SUPER cool and I had an amazing time, P.M. me if you want any advice as I was just a nervous tourney-newcomer two days ago :)

TLDR: Was super hype, did decent, was surprisingly super long time-wise, met some awesome people, pm me if you want some advice if you're thinking about going to a tourney, and will be attending my local tourney next month too :)

Last edited:

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Melee/Brawl local literally a week or two after Brawl launched in the U.S

I played as Lucario for Brawl and got beaten after a fair amount of time. (For my age at the time.)
For Melee I got beaten in just minutes. No one taunted me, no one was rude to me. They told me that it was a nice try, but to keep practicing. It felt like one of those cliche anime moments where a character feels a spark inside them; driving them to continue... Needless to say, competitive gaming is far beyond me now and I have school and other games to worry about.

JoeR

Smash Cadet
Nothing is better than the social gathering that comes with a tournament. I played in a big in person tournament a few years back and I didn't make it far but the social experience was wonderful.

GeekBone

Smash Rookie
NNID
platoniccoffee
Last week I went to a local tournament in North NJ. Got 2-0'd my first game in brackets and 2-1'd my second. All the games were close, but I had trouble closing out stocks quicker. Will definitely practice and get better. I liked the social aspect as well, and playing friendlies with strangers is a fun experience.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Brazil doesn't really have that big of a Smash community (at least not in my area from what I've seen, it doesn't help that I can't really afford to go making trips from place to place unless it's close to my home) so my first tournament was preeeetty small with only a few people in it.

In spite of that it was one of the most fun experiences I've had since I got to meet so many different people that are into Smash and playing competitively offline for once was a nice change of pace.

I managed to get first place going solo Greninja, I even won the GF 3-0. It felt really good especially because everyone there seemed to be at the same level of skill as me.

Last edited:

1337Kai

Smash Cadet
NNID
1337Kai
Well, before I played Marvel vs Capcom competitively, but if you want my 1st SMASH tourney experience then here you go.

My first tourney went well. It was an event going on at my school and boy were there a lot of smashers there. I stuck with Wolf all the way and made it to the winner's finals (this was back in the days of brawl). I was challenging a Toon Link and he beat the **** outta me. I lost the loser's finals so I wasn't able to rematch him. Despite the losses, I started to play A LOT more seriously than I ever have before in a video game. I looked up guides, got involved in communities, joined more tourneys, practiced, learned new techs, etc. I finally rematched him in Smash 4 with my Villager and beat him in another tourney.

In total, my first tourney taught me a lot of what I know about smash (reads, teching, etc.)

Darkshad666

Smash Rookie
My first tourney was a single elimination ,51 players,3 stocks,8 min.I'm a pika main,and because i'm new,some people thought i will just get rekt. i just 3 Stocked with like 30% my first opponent.....the crowd start to stare at me....:chuckle:.I managed to go to the quarter final and loose to a good Ness.
But It was a totally good & fun experience.

Top Bottom