• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your favorite ways to counter move spammers?

LF2K

Floor Diver
We've all been there. There's one player that keeps using the same move over and over and over again. Kirby's stone, Pikachu's thunder, the list goes on. What are your favorite ways to put this kind of player in his or her place?

For me, I love telegraphing Kirby's stone and dodging at the last second. Just to give 'em a good throw. As for people who like to spam Thunder, I just use Game & Watch's Oil Panic to make sure they re-think their strategy.

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
I find another character with a more obnoxious spam move and spam them back...
Because I'm so mature.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
Just hit them on their down time. I rarely ever care if people move spam, if they do you just beat them over and over lol

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I like people who spam Kirby's Stone the most, because now hitting Kirby hard enough just flat out ignores it, causing both full damage and knockback, unlike in Brawl, where he'd only take the knockback.

HPHatecraft

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1048-8631-2378
Counters, all...day..long. Also, are you the same BillyTheKidd who is a Grundy user?

link2702

Smash Champion
thunder spammers in brawl, picked falco, watched the pika cry(the noobs in basic brawl who spammed thunder never knew about the chaingrab pika had, so I was safe). In smash 4....just avoid it and punish em(falco's too terrible in smash4 that it makes me want to cry if i play as him, even when I am completely destroying my opponent, sure I can still destroy the pika spammers just fine, but at the end of the day I just don't find him fun anymore like I did in past games to the point where I do not want to use him, hence the reason I don't use him to take out the pika spam)

stone spamming kirby's simply walk out of the way, soon as they hit the ground grab em.
Zelda dins fire spammers, dodge every last dins fire and watch the zelda eventually go into a blind rage and come at me cuz her "projectile" can't hit worth a crap, proceed to punish all attempts of hers to approach.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
It is so easy to get grabs off on counter spammers. I mean seriously, how many times do I have to grab, pummel, throw and combo you until you stop being predictable with that move?

I main Pit, so projectile spam doesn't cause me much trouble due to having a reflector move. I cannot stress how hilarious it is to KO :4duckhunt: with his own Can, or :4samus: with her own fully charged Charge Shot. :4megaman: still gives me trouble for whatever reason though.

As for :4charizard:'s infamous Flare Blitz, it's usually very easy to predict and block/dodge this move. Seriously, you ain't sneaking up on anybody with that sharp *SHING* start-up noise. In the first minute or two of a match, it's ridiculous to see how much damage these people do to themselves using that move.

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
I seriously hate Samus spammers and the matches usually go like this:
>We both immediately charge up our charge shot
>We both go back after finishing
>Other Samus shoots charge shot
>I powershield the charge shot
>I proceed to rush the Samus down and get free combos because of rolls
>I end the match with a meteor smash and leave

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Back when me and my neighbours used to play Melee in my house, not long before Brawl was released, I used to be a Fireball spammer, and my neighbours were those lovely Kirbies who approach with Down B, live for the Down B and die for the Down B.
Considering I continued on to playing Smash for far longer than them, and how now I'm a fairly decent player in the scope of competitive Smash, I wonder how a match between me and atleast one of them would play out nowadays.
Usually, when I fight a Kirby in For Glory that does that exact same bullcrap (and when the lag allows me to do it, obviously), I like to start a massive combo string out of Mario's Down Throw that does 50ish damage. Of course they never learn from that which allows me to do it again!

Actually: I've been thinking about inviting one of those neighbours again for my party since we'll have a Smash tournament in it. It sure is gonna be fun...

ShulkMonadoBoi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luigi_The_Jumper
3DS FC
1289-9400-8598
My favorite way to counter a spammer?..... Leaving them at the Character Select Screen.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Usually I bait out the move and punish. If they're move spamming then you know exactly what they're going to do. Abuse that. If a kirby is constantly using stone just bait him to do it and punish the endlag. Run under him on purpose and just get out of the way when he stones.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If I'm playing against them in person, I verbally call their next move.

If anything, it throws them off and makes them do something else. In my experience, anyway.

Harmonious

Smash Cadet
Recently with Bayonetta's release, I've seen at least 5 different witch time spammers. My answer? Pick Ness.

Ten-X Legacy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0018-3082-8725
As "The King" I love using F-smash against predictable players. And if someone is trying to spam counter?
Jet-hammer bait. So satisfying.
As for when I'm feeling generous, and wish to teach them not to spam, I like to use infinite jab. Then just wait for them to DI out. :p

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884
I play at a local Gamer party that happens in my Area and there are a couple of people who Spam, particularly one person who likes to pick Kirby and DownB Spam over and over.

My typical punish for that as Mario (My Main) is to run up and grab him while he's still a stone, then D-Throw, U-Tilt over and over until knockback is too high to keep it up, IMMEDIATELY follow up with Up Air, if I'm fast enough I can pull off two, and then Up-B. I do this right, I can get him from 0% to like 65% or higher in one swoop. Since he's not too good in the first place, it works more often than you'd expect.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
So there's this one guy I know in local play who all he does is picks Mario, stands at the side of the stage, and doesn't ever attempt to approach you. EVER. Only time he bothers to attack is if you approach him and he just spams back throw. Even if you're not even anywhere near kill percent, and he ACTUALLY thinks he's amazing just because he's caught a couple people in it.

SO! My favorite thing to do to get him off his high horse, is Alpharad's special little "Bait & Wait" tactic. I approach, wait for a spot dodge or shield, and punish him. It's also funny to watch him get more and more frustrated when his back throw doesn't KO me (because someone doesn't know about staling.) and I just again punish accordingly. I actually JV3'd his Link playing as Palutena. It was such a wonderful moment.

He doesn't come around and play anymore because in his words "This game isn't fun anymore." GEE I wonder why.

Last edited:

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
I had this guy in local play who doesn't go anymore. He was a legit fg Samus who used the Fusion Suit alt (AKA my old alt) and it always made me mad when he chose Fusion Suit against me. I spaced him out on some games and in others I picked ZSS and comboed him without giving him time to attack. Long story shoty, he left because "the game was boring" and he never talks to me anymore xD

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
I had this guy in local play who doesn't go anymore. He was a legit fg Samus who used the Fusion Suit alt (AKA my old alt) and it always made me mad when he chose Fusion Suit against me. I spaced him out on some games and in others I picked ZSS and comboed him without giving him time to attack. Long story shoty, he left because "the game was boring" and he never talks to me anymore xD
Hope it's not the same guy I was talking about 0_0

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884
I haven't gotten told the game is boring or lost friends over it, but I have been told by all the people in that particular gamer group that I'm considered one of, if not the best Smash players in this group. I have gotten one or two people who are like "No, Chelsea's [My real name] going after me!" or act like I zone in on one person in a 4+ Player match when no, I only go after who is closest to me at the time.

But like, it's funny, we had a single-elimination tournament in this group recentlyish and I got Third, and people were kinda pissed because the two people who were ahead of me were, apparently people who regularly didn't show up at these group events and ONLY showed up because a Smash tournament was announced.

I was more happy I got to play against some strong players. I'll never get better otherwise. :D

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
If they're spamming projectiles, then I like launching it right back at them. Ness' bat or Pit's orbitars are a good way of telling them to stop. If they're spamming some other move, then I just trap them and punish them. Usually players who are spamming something that isn't a projectile just do it by habit, and they likely won't stop. If they do, their playing suffers from it because they're so used to it.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I tend to do one of two things usually depending on the situation.
  • Sometimes I'll just spam right back if I am currently playing a character that can do so. Unless they're spamming in a smart way I always end up out spamming them and normally two stocking them in the process. Sometimes they still try it even though it's obviously not working, and I continue to out-spam them. Bonus points awarded when they claim I'm "Cheap".

• In most cases, I'll just stay at the edge and bait them/wait it out. If I'm a stock ahead and they still refuse to approach me and continue spamming on the other side of the Stage, I'll just sit there and wait. I mean, once I'm a stock ahead I have absolutely no reason to approach you. Meanwhile Samus's/Mewtwos/Links/etc still do nothing but spam on the other side of the stage. If I'm getting really bored or annoyed I'll even taunt them and use some means to make them angry enough to approach.

I normally don't like taunting unless the other does it first, but it can be a good way to make these guys actually fight sometimes.

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
A good neutral game is a great way to counter spammers. Dash up to them and immediately roll away. Just stand there and watch them spam smash attacks and special moves at the empty space in front of them. You will learn a lot just simply STANDING at midrange. Also, try a grab release and then sit there in shield to see what they would spam in that situation. A real spammer won't change their response for the next grab release and you can punish with the gift of foresight.

Spammers can be annoying but if you think about it, you already know what they're doing and what they're going to do. There are no need for reads at this point. Just follow the script and punish everything that isn't safe on neutral.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Usually I'll punish with Pit's Dair chains. When they complain about that, I switch to grabs. Complain about the grabs, and I smash them. Usually right when they die to Smash attacks they'll complain about those, and if I'm far enough ahead I'll go ahead and punish with every one of Pit's attacks once.

Still get called a spammer after that, lol.

Cool Trainer Ace

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bleechwiiID
On For Glory, you find lots of people who like to come to the stage with a Dair that 'snaps to the ground' if you will (i.e. ZSS's, Corrin's, Toon Link's Dair). So when I throw them in the air, they always use that move. I love reading when and where they end up when using it, then punishing the crap out of them for it. I've won against so many For Glory Sheiks and ZSS's just by doing this.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
1 Counter move (Marth's,Roy's etc.). 2 Short hop + Fair + tipper (If Marth). 3 Counter recovery up B. 4 Dair spike punish.

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
1: Pick :4ganondorf:
2: Go for the (not so) hard reads.
3: Kill him in 4-5 hits.
4 (optional) : Add disrespect for extra salt.
5: Rinse, Repeat.
6: Get called a hacker.
7: Leave For Glory for ever.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Samus is my favorite.

Confusion is so satisfying/hilarious in that match-up.

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
:4pikachu: ("Thunderps"): I always switch to Villager after the first match, Pocket their Thunder, wait until I get them offstage, and try to spike them with it.

:4kirby: ("Downbys"): I also pick Kirby, and whenever they use Stone, I dodge, then charge up Hammer Flip and hit them as soon as they get out of Stone.

:4link:/:4tlink: ("Spinks"): Characters with reflectors. Or Rosaluma. Just keep reflecting everything the stupid elf throws at you and kill once he's at a high enough percent.

:4corrin:/:4corrinf: ("Counterrins"): Characters with strong throws, good projectiles, and non-damaging recoveries (like Mewtwo). Just keep your distance and deal damage with projectiles until they are at kill percent, then throw them.

Top Bottom