• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Favorite Art?

Favorite?

• Jump

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Speed

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Shield

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Buster

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Smash

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Now that we had a bit of time as Shulk what's your favorite?Mine is jump for edgegaurding and recovery and sh Nair's are fun with that air mobility.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Jump was my favorite Art to use, but lately, Shield is warming up to me so much & I love living for days and days.:shades:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Still Speed here. That rushdown feeling you get with it reminds me of my Mac and I just love the sight of opponents retreating over Shulk's sweeping Nairs. Jump's not far behind as I've used it more often these past few days and am currently loving it for gimping people with Fairs. Then you got Shield/Buster/Smash that I barely use anymore (total contrast from my first day of playing to now) due to how useful the other two are in comparison.

eWaltz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Waltz.exe
Jump > Speed >>>> Shield >>>>>>> Buster/Smash
Pretty much this. I might like Shield a bit more than Speed, but I think that's only because I haven't learned how to fully utilize speed.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
My earlier post seemed lackluster, I didn't include my entire list of subjective favorites going from most to least:

Shield > Jump > Speed > Smash > Buster

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Depends on the match up, really.

I need to learn to use shield though, apparently. It's the one art I don't really use often and apparently it's awesome... Shulk is my third most used characters and I actually haven't looked into any ATs or playstyle suggestions or anything. I guess I should do that.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I love Shield. Used it in a sudden death, and I LIVED FOR DAYS. Where's your god now?!

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
Been using Shulk for a little bit and I like switching between Buster and Smash depending on whether my opponent has enough damage.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Speed > Jump >>> Buster > Shield >>>>> Smash

I don't see how Speed will ever not become my favourite art. It basically just allows you to play the same character but better in neutral and with superior mix-ups. The same applies to Jump, but Speed doesn't have you receive additional damage so it's much less risky. However, I prefer Jump against projectile based characters like Robin and Megaman.

Next is Buster simply due to the potential damage you can deal with it. If have the momentum of the match and are able to get good reads you can rack up around 100% in seconds. Furthermore since the damage you receive is now lower than 1.0.3 it's less risky than before. Furthermore having your attacks be safer and deal more shield damage is wonderful.

Shield is more of a toss up. I do like it a lot and in certain matchups it's incredible, particularly at early percents to avoid various string and combo setups. Then of course it's wonderful for surviving in general. However, I definitely still prefer the already aforementioned arts due to Shield making you super sluggish.

Smash is definitely my least favourite. The main thing that bothers me about it is that it makes all your moves less safe on shield. Often I find myself going to Jump and going for edgeguards as they're actually safer than going for early kills in Smash. If I do use Smash it's more when the opponent's very high to expand my kill options (at 150%+ for instance every tilt, smash and aerial will kill, two of your throws kill and jab combo comes close).

TheKaine

Smash Rookie
Buster and Speed are tied for me.

Shield is good for defense but it's sooooo sloooooow.

I would rate Smash higher but then I realized that Shulk hits hard anyway and I don't need to die quicker.

I almost never use Jump. Anytime I'm about to fall and die I either already have an Art on or I'm panicking too much to remember that I can use it to save myself.

I think I like all of them equally now at this point

If I were to pick one though, it's buster or speed.... I don't know

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
Speed, as my bread-and-butter, wins by a hair. (I've noticed that most Shulk players have either Speed or Jump as their bread-and-butter Art for most matchups) - nair spamming for zoning, pivot grabs, even a dashing u-smash to catch the opponent off-guard. Smash has a notable mention, as while it is unsafe, it has good synergy with Shield at higher percents, as your rage scaling with Smash is absolutely bonkers, and a good read on a fresh upward f-smash can murder enemies at stupidly low percents that Bowser and Ike wish they could get. And if you manage a guard break, well then goodnight at anything higher than 30-40% at the edge of the stage.

Jump is a slightly finicky but incredibly useful Art, as it messes with your short hops by sending you high enough to leave you very vulnerable if you whiff a SHFF, but it enables incredible airspeed to drive your opponent nuts and provoke them to a stupid commit, increases your falling speed to mess with their timing, and lets you beat practically anyone offstage, provided you read the airdodge. Just don't get whacked around too much.

Buster is probably my least favourite stance (besides Vanilla, which I only really fight in as a mindgame or to get some space, as it's fairly predictable otherwise) but is still very useful to either scare an enemy off or embolden them to make stupid mistakes. Just make the right call on what tack your enemy's going to take with it.

I almost never use Jump. Anytime I'm about to fall and die I either already have an Art on or I'm panicking too much to remember that I can use it to save myself.
Triple tap that Special button to cancel your current Art. Unless you're running Decisive Arts. Which you... honestly shouldn't, IMO. Kills your versatility.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Jump > Smash > Shield > Speed > Buster

While Jump is hands down my fav for many a reason, Smash has some interesting uses when it comes to the early game, surprisingly. Can set up a mean meteor smash quite early and make certain combos that require you to be harder to smash wither up and die (Since you yourself are easier to smash.). Give it a chance, I say.

The_Goofyborn

Smash Cadet
NNID
The_Goofyborn
Speed>Jump>Shield>Buster>Smash

I love Speed too much to give the number one spot to Jump, but that's not to take anything away from Jump, for that is an amazing art. Though even when I'm ranking them, I have a bit of respect for all of the arts, even the one ranked last on my list, Smash. I use Smash the least, but it definitely pulls it's weight, allowing my tilts and aerials to kill is a nice little bonus. I'm just not a huge fan of the glass canon aspect of it.

Though, I do agree with the above poster, switching to Smash for a meteor smash is one of the most satisfying feelings in the game to me.

Zacko

Smash Cadet
1. Jump - Fun, good for recovery and for those satisfying offstage kills.
2. Speed / Buster - The best arts for general combat. I usually start with speed, but try to mix it up a bit.
3. Shield - I feel clunky and predictable with this art, but it keeps me alive at high percentages.
4. Smash - I use it mainly for revenge kills when I respawn with 0% and my opponent is at 80+.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I cant really give them a list since I love using everything and be unreadable with them!

Buster is the thing I using the most, since it rack up damage really much if you have good read and know what you are doing!
Once I get the opponent to 100-110%, I change to Smash when they are of the stage! Smash will kill them with a simple Ftilt!

I am using Jump and Speed to really screw up the opponent, jump if I want to follow the opponent off stage while speed is for toss up!

sadly, shield is the one I using least, but it is good to have it and know that your shield can take more and your knockback is reduce!

JaegerFish

Smash Rookie
All of the arts are useful at certain points of a fight but I think Buster is what made me really enjoy Shulk. Being able to rack up damage that fast and then use Smash to send them flying is extremely satisfying.

I think Shield/Speed arts depends on your play style (and how much damage you've taken); if you're against a fighter who is heavier/has KO power you may want the extra defense or to outspeed them and juggle them around a bit. Conversely, if you're against a quick fighter you may want to match their speed or save yourself from their jabs and potential KO moves.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
My favorite is Buster, and I have stuck by that for a while. I think people are finally realizing the power of Monado Buster, which imo has been underrated for a long time. Speed comes second; it is a great art. However, it's still a little overrated. Monado Shield is something I go to every once in a while: Make a nice OOS game. Also, I'll switch to it to avoid death at high percents, obviously. Jump seems alright to me on the stage - I go to it for the mobility (as I have a mostly aerial game). Jump, of course, I switch to to recover. Also, I sometimes use it to evade or get away. Monado Smash is my least favorite art because every time I go to it I'm punished. Nothing seems safe.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Speed is a neutral game favorite. Buster for when my opponent is sent off the ledge, meaning they won't have time to run away and will essentially be cornered. Smash when appropriate. Shield if I am a very high percent and just killed my opponent; I will then stay midstage like how Little Mac should stay midstage. I'll rack up some damage and get ready to run when shield runs out OR be prepared to die.

Jump never appealed to me. I never really need to use it for recovery, and that's the only thing I use it for.

Top Bottom