• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link vs. Peach -- WHY??

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
With Marth, I can go on endlessly about how "cheap" he is. Same with all the other high tier characters(Except Falco, other than all of his moves being kill moves, hes quite balanced out with his crappy recovery).
Are you serious? You're telling me Falco is better balanced than Marth? Huh?

Never mind, let's not turn this into a "who's more balanced?" thread.

On one-hand, I can understand why Ylink would be considered a tough match for Peach. But I personally find it tough to take a Peach with anyone other than Marth. And I main Ylink. >_< I don't projectile spam enough.

Jash

Smash Lord
Hmm, well Marth is pretty cheap, but they are greater cheap characters in this game. Sheik is a big one, Fox is another one, Falco is pretty cheap himself. High tiers are high tiers because heh...their cheap. If you can use 1 move that connects all the time....thats pretty cheap don't ya think? *cough* ken combo *cough*.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Don't complain dark pch. You have a broken d-smash, a great throw game and have your own form of canceling..not to mention a scary projectile...and all I've got is this teeny tiny sword. *ahem*

Peach does well against sheik and samus, or so I thought. And she can chaingrab fox/falco/falcon so thats not too bad..

shes not got the short end of the stick in any matchup really.
Please dont get me started on how cheap Marth is, I can right a whole book of all the bull he has. and if Im correct, he is hated more then Peach. which is why I assume there are more Marth players then Peach, I could be wrong but..meh...

Jash- It dont matter what move you think is cheap with a Hi tier. It matter how dumb the player is for falling for it over and over, if it was that easy, there would be a whole lot of pros out there, and no one would not play with Low tiers that much cause.........well, you wanna win, pick a high tier and one everyone since its that easy. But there are certain situation where there is really nothing you can do agains some hi tiers. Like if your facing a Marth on yoshi story and you miss a tech on the platform..........yea your gonna eat a Fsmash while rising. and if Your sheilding and he is under you, an U-tilt is pretty much gonna get you. Theres other cases but I dont feel like saying them all. Also to add, if you dont know how to fight a samus with Peach and you love to CC and samus can see that, yea, samus will pwn you.

And do add I hate when one cries about hi tiers. when I fight some foxes, they cry about my dsmash or her FC (yea, I know.........her FC right?) and go " I hate that *****, etc.) And the dude is catching a heart attack when...........He is fox and knows all his techs and etc. I think the Peaches should be the one crying. Fox could have a party with Peach.......a **** party. Its funny when a Hi tier player cries when they play Peach and lose.......when we have low tier players, that pwn all characters, and makes the tier list look broken. and for that, Azen is the truth. Most characters require more work then others too do well. But if you mastered the character, shoot, you can pretty much own any character.

Oh and for match ups that are hard and gay for Peach......2 words.........Mike G "the truth" XD!!!!

Chip.

you know what to do
Last MLG Sas was at was like MLG Seattle, which was the 2005 circuit; TG6 was what, 2004? When was the last time Chu beat a good Peach like Wife or Vidjo? How about some references that aren't 2-3 years old.

Also your analogy is incredibly flawed; Foxes still continue to beat Y. Links, whereas Y. Links fail to continue to consistently beat good Peaches.
I'm so sorry, it's just that's all the plain evidence at hand especially since there are like two good YLink's who can play at that sort've level (aka Cave and Chu) with YLink. I haven't heard any late news about Cave's or Chu's yLink and their performances against any good peach players. You should probably ask him yourself if you want some better references.

Also the analogy aint flawed. From what I've heard, I think that Jash has beaten Cort in a tournament match, which is fairly recent. I can beat Brdy, whom is the best Peach in Oregon and was one of the best Peach's in Washington, prolly 3-4 best Peach.

A well played and spaced Peach is better than Y. Link
No she isn't lol. Not only is his range greater with his proj./ sword/ or grab, but he's faster than her too. He can push her with projectiles, combo her, kill her fairly easy.

If you mean against other charachters, then yes Peach is better than Y Link, but in this matchup then no.

she has turnips, autododge fsmash and down tilts, and the speed of FC nairs and such to eat through pretty much everything,
Turnips are almost completely useless against Young Link; which is another reason he has the edge in this match, he has 2 useful projectiles and 1 surprise tool, his arrows. I doubt anyone could argue that Young Link is the better spammer here. Bombs go through FC nairs too. Ylink has simple attacks that can outrange her d-tilt like a f-tilt or d-tilt.

not to mention well placed dairs eat through him from above.
Wrong.

Uairs butt **** Peach when she's in the air. lol, there is hardly anything she can do other than DI. Too bad she can't pull projectiles out in the air and throw them down, like YLink can.

Peach can sheild/toad/catch/dodge bombs, use her moves to dodge like float or parosol, and even if she gets hit with a bomb, she can make it hit close enough to hit both of them and then nair out, or DI far enough away to mitigate it's effects. All of his other projectiles get clanked by pretty much anything she has.
Toad isn't as good as you think it is. You toad, then you have lag, which means I throw a boomerang at you and then I'll start hitting/ comboing you with nairs or uairs.

dodge bombs? good luck. bombs kill all her floats and if she is trying to parosol then he can hunt her down and shoot a boomerang out to chase her. She can only DI far enough away from a bomb at high percents, like really high percents. Otherwise it's a combo spree for Young Link. YLink won't stand stupidly for her to use the bomb to DI to get close to YLink and attack. He'll probably SH back then throw a rang, which then will PB (point-blank) you right in the face and score an easy 20% dmg, and then set you up to get daired to a delivery to death.

catching is the only smart bet. Even still, a nair will probably head your way or more boomerangs and more bombs. Plus, there are counters for ppl who catch yLink's bombs. If you SH then FF-> bomb throw the trajectory will be sent at your opponents head or feet, where they can't catch. This type of bomb throwing only occurs if opponents frequently catch bombs.

A thing you forget is that YLink can also catch Peach's turnips too >_>

A fast peach can get in y. link's face and prevent him from pulling stuff, which means that his entire game is decimated.
Young Link is leagues faster than peach. It's hard to get into Young Link's face when he runs away from you while spamming effectively while destroying all her float cancel attempts and turnips too. I'm pretty sure yLink isn't the charachter getting his game decimated >_>

Try to get a dair or uair set up on a good peach outside of a down throw.
Bomb->dair or uair or PB boom -> dair/uair

It's pretty good, and works really well when Young Link's nearby the opponent with his bomb and then dairs. dair is better for killing but uair is safer, depending on the situation.

The DI only works efficiently at high percents. And since Peach dies at low percents anyway, that only helps Young Link.

If Peach recovers high, how can Y. Link hit her with her fabulous air dodge?
Wait, so you're trying to recover above me and then do an airdodge? Wouldn't that make you highly vulnurable while falling down? OK, lol, sure I'll start upair comboing you then. Good job. My bad, I thought we weren't trying to win at this game, not do peculier things like airdodge and wait for opponents to attack you.

It's called anticipation, the YLink should watch what the Peach is trying to do in her recovery before any strikes can be executed. Also, his uair hitbox stays out for hours before coming back in so that it's still very possible for it to hit Peach if she air dodges away. Not to mention the hitbox in his uair is freakin huge that it'll almost indefinetly still hit. Srrsly, it's like Marth's f-smash range... just above his head instead of in front of him.

If he attempts to hookshot recover, peach can simply zdrop a turnip on his head like she can do vs Samus that attempt to grapple, which means that if he's too low to make it up on his up b alone, he's dead.
A Ylink wont go for a hookshot recovery unless it's a sweetspot or Peach just didn't get a turnip out or jump fast enough or something.

YLink's vertical recovery is fairly moderate, he doesn't die easily while recovering from below as you might of thought.

Peach can also down air his head while he's up bing if she's spacing correctly, or use her golfclub or a shffl'd fair to bop him on the head and trade hits.
none of those attacks will work if Ylink gets a sweetspot with his upB. A golfclub, dair, or SHFFL'd fair will most often not hit Ylink if he gets his hands attached to the ledgs perfectly. And getting perfect sweetspots are easier than you think with young Link.

As I stated before, if she eats through one boomerang at close range, she can get all the free hits she can muster.
A point you seem to not understand is that Ylink wont stand there and shoot one projectile at a time. It's called spamming smart, and not like a ****** so you don't get punished. Usually a yLink wont go for PB boomerangs unless he knows for sure that one will hit (i.e. bomb->PBBommerang). When one proj comes out, another one comes out. You can 'eat' through one boomerang, then what? I'll do continuous boomerang spamming/ throw a bomb at you/zdrop/ approach with nair all depending on the situation. There are hardly any ways around it.

Peach's kill moves out number Y. Links, and she has far more sheild options than he does; roll/dodge/grab/parosol/nair/jump/wd all hamper his ability to approach her in her shield. The only projectile that really works for him is bombs, which get blocked by turnips and the variety of moves i posted above. It simply becomes a patience and experience match up
You're right, Young Link can't roll, dodge, grab, nair, jump, or wave-dash outof his sheild >_>

It's pretty hard to approach Young Link, wheather it be trough the air or ground. He can nail her like a bird when she's above with loads of bombs and can keep her at bay with nearly all of his projectiles. Young Link's got range, wheather it be his distance, grab, or close-up game; all in which are larger than Peach's. I can space very easily with nairs against her shield then jab/ utilt.

Peach's reliable kill moves are nair, Dsmash, fair, fthrow? Aren't those the main ones? Ylink has Dsmash, nair, fair too along with Dair or Uair. I can give that her Dsmash is stronger and better than any of YLink's moves, I can agree with that. As for her others, like the nair, that probably has equal power with his own and less priority as well. My guess, their fair is the same prowess as well, but I would imagine that his comes out slightly faster. I wouldn't know for sure, I don't really care. All I do care about less worrying and more killing when I'm playing a Peach.

I can give Peach that she doesn't die off the side very easy. Even still, Ylink obliterates her recovery with the number of projectiles he has, not to mention D-smash her if she gets close to the edge/ edghog her.

and most Peaches don't know how to fight Y. Link... but once they do it's not a counter, merely a nuisance.
That theory can work for every charachter in the game.

If I played Pichu against Ken long enough then I could say Marth can't beat my Pichu very often since I know the matchup really well.

I guess then that Marth doesn't counter Pichu :)

Chip.

you know what to do
I doubt anyone could argue against Young Link being the better spammer here
Wait, so you're trying to recover above me and then do an airdodge? Wouldn't that make you highly vulnurable while falling down? OK, lol, sure I'll start upair comboing you then, good job. My bad, I thought we were trying to win at this game, not do peculier things like airdodge and wait for opponents to attack you.
Here are two errors I noticed in revising my post, but for a strange reason I can't save any edits on that peticular post.

No worries, I'll just edit the two words that will make my post less misleading. I apoligize for the oversight.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
Thanks Darkness of heart, I thought I was relatively right on her being fine against samus. Lajin, that shuts down your agrument over samus but you didn't touch the other characters.

And marths hits do not have loads of knockback unless they are tipped...sounds like someone has issues with marth.
lol contradictory? u say marth has no nkockback, but u know that the tipper has a big amount of knockback. therefore, marth DOES have lots of knockback.

marth is cheap!! WOOT!

shotafan

Smash Cadet
lol...young links/links aren't even on my worry list. They do well againts mah Peach but that's it. Mah peach is worried about a certain space animal...a furry dog like animal...

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I don't think YL counters Peach by nearly as much as that chart says. It's probably an even match. Both characters have something on the other. And if YL is Peach's biggest counter, I think we'd see more top players counterpick YL vs. a Peach, and more Peach players with secondaries to deal with YL. Most Peach players I've met don't think the matchup is that bad, and would rather fight YL than Marth, Fox, or Ganon... I'd rather not be Peach vs. a YL, not because he counters her, but because Peach is just my secondary, and I'm better with my low tiers anyway.

Laijin

Smash Hero
The reason people don't use their secondaries in certain match ups even though the character clearly counters them(Like the Peach vs. Captain Falcon match up) is that its not all that wise to switch to a secondary if you are not comfortable with them.

You have to understand Emmy, that there a very very few people in the entire nation who actually have "good" Young Links(I can count them all on one hand. lol). Not just messing around with him and occassionally using him in tournament matches(like Chu Dat and Caveman), but actually main him and understand him and all that good stuff that comes with maining the character.

A Young Link main understands quite well on how to counter Peach. The ONLY thing Peach has over him is her recovery ability, but who cares about that anyways when shes too busy getting constantly hit by projectiles to recovery back?
lol.

Jash

Smash Lord
You know what, if Peach players say Young Link is not a Peach counter or Peach owns Young Link, then leave it at that and beat them so they can feel worse about losing to a low tier. Its always fun.:laugh:

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
This is too annoying. Its like going up against a camping Fox or falco. Thing is Y.Link shoots more things at once. When Y.Link can come to my face and fight me instade of running away from start to finish spamming, then thats different. Im sorry but Im one with lil patients to be chaseing my opponent across the stage 24/7. Only time he wont get away with it is a small stage. YS is the best. No way he can run for long. But big stages is a pain. Spam, evade, spam evade. This makes Marth, shiek, and space animals look good. I dont even consider this a fight. Now im not saying Y.link cant use his weapons.....cause thats one of his moves. but to use the B button like 90% of the time, good grife.And Y.link is faster than Peach. I fought Good Y.Links Perfore. 2 of my friends Use him against me. One is in my crew. We We have losts of vids on youtube. Now he is 50/50 weapon/sword play. And he does well against me. he has even beaten me with him. and link too. and the other once was One from the second best crew in N.Y. Now his Y.link was something else. straight up mindgames. I could not really pin point his weapon or sword play. It was close but I lost that. Y.links like this I'll take on and dont care if I lose. But spamming Y.link I dont even wanna deal with. You can be a good Y.link player and not need to spam. shoot pro too if you really work at it. Y.Link is not an easy character to go all pro with. which is why there are not that many good ones out there. and they just give up. Guess for that case I would have gave up on Peach a while ago. Now for the record on Y.link and all that was said and seen........

Spamming Y.Link counter Peach (not all a very few reck them, Mike G for once)

Not spamming Y.link dont. If the start to spam its not hard to break through thier defense

the problem I have is a spamming one, therefore I can win against one. but this is my problem, for im hate chaseing people, matches lasting more than 6 mins trying to be patient and not get comboed and for the fact its annoying. So Im pretty much gonna lose everytime I have to deal with one like this. This can go for other Peach players that say Y.Link counters her. but to get it straight spamming one counters her, Not the other types of Y.links

Jash

Smash Lord
I don't spam and i beat Peach's all the time....what does THAT about me? I use projectiles more then i do on other characters yes but who doesn't? Now some may not believe me and say i spam like every other Young Link player, but i know what i do and i know what works. Watch any video of me, ANY VIDEO of me and you will see that i throw a projectile at you and run to you for combos.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
If it was only about you, I say Jash. And we went through this already. And I already proved my point. So Im not going through this again. Dont matter anyway what I think right? You can beat me and I cant beat you. so why even worry. Im one of the Peaches you dont even have to worry about in tournies. And I dont care for the match up. I would just fine into everything so the tourny match can end faster and I can move. So dont even worry about me. Im nothing

Jash

Smash Lord
Come on Dark, your not nothing. The thing is i was not aiming that last post on you, just everyone i played recently and i haven't played you in months. Your good though, you just gave up on this match up, does not mean your nothing.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Okay, time to say my input on this.

To me, YL is NOT a counter. But this doesn't mean that he's a pushover either. Because he's faster then Link and have more spam ability then Peach, it becomes a somewhat even match up since Peach needs to get close in order to do damage. As long as a Peach can keep close to him, they should have half the trouble then the more trouble they had against their Bombs, arrows, and Boomeranges.

Once close up, taking damage from here and there from YL isn't that much of a issue, since he's somewhat weaker then his older self Link. But, YL is faster then Peach and motivbility with him is key in this matchup.

If They're fighting at a nice wide space like FD, the chance of winning would go with YL. But, at a small place like Battlefield and Yoshi island, things could go with favor with Peach, since YL won't have much time to spam.

So IMO, Peach players would have some issues with YL, but he's not a counter. A counter is someone who could win 3/4 of the time. I think YL wins about 2/4.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Young Link no longer counters Peach.
Falco no longer counters Young Link.

What is this world coming to? Brawl just needs to come out. Melee has been out for far too long. >_<

I'll just change my argument to this: Buzz counters Peach.

Trig417

Smash Rookie
yl vs peach is funny, she's so floaty its like she wants to get hit by bombs and stuff

i've played against a few really good peaches (though none pro) and its always easy, filling up the space of air between me and peach. i don't know what half the posts in this thread are talking about, i can run away from peach just fine, and throw stuff at her all day long, and create inevitability that i will down a her into oblivion.

TGM

Smash Lord
Yall have never played DoH. hes extremly good. not the ebst peach in TX but def top 3.

Xelic and maybe smiles are better. Y link does well on peach than most low tiers.....but he IS NOT a counter.....ever.

Jash

Smash Lord
We get it, if Young Link isn't a Peach counter then fine. I know results would prove worthy......i just need a good Peach to fight.....any takers?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Dark are you sure? Im planning on doing recorded MMs with Peach players and i don't think its fair if i do that to you. So be sure.
Then MM the Peach players you wanna MM. Who said you had to MM me? I dont do those anyway. Guess I'll leave it at that. I wont play you then. Next Peach player that wants to fight you go ahead and do it

Bane

Smash Journeyman
Young Link counters peach for one reason, bombs wreck her. Perhaps individual Peach players have no problem with Y. Links, well then live it up, your strategy is unaffected. However if someone tried to toad my bombs I would laugh at them. period. A spamming Young Link wants you to dodge, it means you're not chasing him, he can throw a boomerang which will catch you after or before you dodge and you're caught. Peach is vulnerable to vertical kills, which are great for bomb plants.
Peachs have trouble slipping turnips past the projectile web, and their floaty hides are to slow to dodge them all so they go aggressive. This is where the counter comes in. Y. Link wants characters with small hitboxes to play aggressively, he'll projectile you until you're at high enough dmg for a bomb plant or to get you off the edge and keep you there. Granted, a really good peach can make it past this, if you're experienced with the matchup, but in general the favor falls in young link's court (unless, as Rockin said, you're in a small map, in which case, you're pwnt).

Also it's important to keep in mind that, hey, Y. Link is low tier (read all about it!), despite his the common srtategy used working well against peaches, he has obvious character weaknesses of his own, bomb spam doesn't increase his stamina (though I wish it could...). Also Y. Link players are used to crap matchups, so though Peach isn't a massive counter (it's easier then a Marth [btw, if a Marth player doesn't think Marth is cheap, he's not comfortable in his own skin]) if that's the impression some people must have gotten, but it's pretty much the only useful one we've got.

I'm not going to come out and start saying I'm better then anyone here, because I'm probably not, you're peach will beat my young link, but I have eyes, on equal skill level a spamming Y. Link > Peach.

It doesn't matter if one player beats another, or if Y. Link is used as often as he used to be (at this late stage in the game, who has the patience to go Low tier, by the time you master it Brawl will be out). It's also not about DoH beating Caveman or Jash vs. Drk. Peach, it's about an observance that has been throughout melee's existence, that Y. Links fare well against Peach. You still have your D-smash, leave us alone.

And don't worry Buzz, Falco will always counter Y. Link. ALWAYS.

D

Deleted member

As long as a Peach can keep close to him, they should have half the trouble then the more trouble they had against their Bombs, arrows, and Boomeranges.
case in point, you're not playing the match correctly if you let peach get close to you. YL vs peach for YL is that he's supposed to spam her to 180% and find a cheap upair KO that she can't avoid.

Top Bottom