• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link Optimization Project (Current Topic: Edgeguarding Spacies)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
There's a big misconception about reaction time so I'd like to show you guys this study I was shown some time ago. The basic gist is that the average reaction time, which is about 13 frames, only applies when you already know what option youre gonna use. If you have to distinguish between 2 different recoveries with corresponding options(in this case nair and dsmash) then the reaction takes well over 25 frames. Since jab covers side b both over and below the ledge(except for fox's lowest side b sweetspot) it is a simple reaction and is therefore much faster. Nair is also a 28 frame commitment(SHFF + landing lag) as opposed to jab.

I see your point about jab. It very well might be better to stay grounded near the edge and jab everything until you see upb. I'll test and return with results.

Another factor people don't consider is that spacies can opt to side b really high so that you cant cover it. In this situation you need to punish the recovery rather than cover it. Bomb-> aerials are best to punish in these situations.
I assume you mean sideb onto platforms? I don't think bomb -> aerial is good in this situation. You can't jab with a bomb, so you wouldn't approach the situation with a bomb in hand already. Pulling the bomb on reaction would be a poor use of time as well. Even if you had a bomb, it would give them an extra hit to DI towards the middle of the stage with.

So instead, you would have no bomb waiting for the sideb mixup to use jab. They sideb high onto the platform. You should dash towards center, then fullhop reverse nair them back off the edge. Thats assuming they are high enough percent. If the nair won't send them off stage (eg, you pushed them off stage at low-ish % and they sideb high to avoid a gimp) then you can use this chance to uair juggle.

Firefox is pretty much reactable and young links recovery lets him go pretty far out for kills so that shouldnt be a problem.
Like every character, YL struggles to threaten the downward sweetspot angle from a distance. YL also somewhat struggles when, in the same situation, fox chooses to go up and towards a platform. Unlike marth and sheik, YL doesnt really have a way to cover multiple options in this scenario. The best solution I have come up with is to late nair to cover the straight forward, then dash to center FH nair/uair to cover high option, and give up edge option. I see no way to cover straight forward option and downward option at the same time.

Actually, that isn't entirely true. The other solution to this problem is to jump out to the source and hit fox before he starts moving. You must time your hit during the ~10 frame window where the passive burn ends and he starts moving. Obviously this is hard and requires you to be expecting the situation. I struggle with nair, the lack of disjoint is problematic. Instead, I think fair might be a better choice. Requires more testing though.

I also disagree about mixups when edgeguarding spacies. They dont really have the aerial mobility to make their recovery ambiguous with drifting and airdodging. As young link it's more about covering side b since up b is pretty easy to cover. I think finding an optimal way to do this is the way to go. That said, it's good to have many options to fit different situations based on available time, postition, etc.
You havent played a good spacie if you think they don't have the ability to mixup or make their recovery ambiguous.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Like every character, YL struggles to threaten the downward sweetspot angle from a distance.
You can cover this with jab although you can just go out and hit him out of startup instead.

I assume you mean sideb onto platforms? I don't think bomb -> aerial is good in this situation. You can't jab with a bomb, so you wouldn't approach the situation with a bomb in hand already. Pulling the bomb on reaction would be a poor use of time as well. Even if you had a bomb, it would give them an extra hit to DI towards the middle of the stage with.

So instead, you would have no bomb waiting for the sideb mixup to use jab. They sideb high onto the platform. You should dash towards center, then fullhop reverse nair them back off the edge. Thats assuming they are high enough percent. If the nair won't send them off stage (eg, you pushed them off stage at low-ish % and they sideb high to avoid a gimp) then you can use this chance to uair juggle.
Well, chandy's whole idea was to pull a bomb as you approach the edge and cover side b over ledge and sweetspot with run off upb. It sounds like it'd work since youd descend at the same time covering both options and grabbing ledge. I dont think anyones tried it yet but I think it can work if you just watch your opponent attentively. You might have a point but we have to test things anyway.

Like every character, YL struggles to threaten the downward sweetspot angle from a distance. YL also somewhat struggles when, in the same situation, fox chooses to go up and towards a platform. Unlike marth and sheik, YL doesnt really have a way to cover multiple options in this scenario. The best solution I have come up with is to late nair to cover the straight forward, then dash to center FH nair/uair to cover high option, and give up edge option. I see no way to cover straight forward option and downward option at the same time.

Actually, that isn't entirely true. The other solution to this problem is to jump out to the source and hit fox before he starts moving. You must time your hit during the ~10 frame window where the passive burn ends and he starts moving. Obviously this is hard and requires you to be expecting the situation. I struggle with nair, the lack of disjoint is problematic. Instead, I think fair might be a better choice. Requires more testing though.
Like I stated before fair is better but is situational. You can use it anytime theyre in range(obviously) and above the ledge. Usually you'll wanna go for the rising fair to get the move out right as you get there. If theyre below the stage im pretty sure you can just fall on top of em with a nair. I cant really remember if it can beat your nair but usually It just trades. I think it cant beat your nair from above because the hitbox is a circle and fox's body is upright. I'll have to test it out anyways.

You havent played a good spacie if you think they don't have the ability to mixup or make their recovery ambiguous.
I think you misunderstood me, although its my fault for not explaining myself well. I meant because they cant drift much(relative to their fall speed) and they have to air dodge high to grab ledge you usually only have to worry about their vertical position since they'll probably have to use upb or side b to move horizontally onto the stage. Because of this you can usually just cover the side b while having enough time to react to an upb.

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
Visiting family right now so I'm on mobile. You'll have to excuse me for being a bit brief; I would be happy to expand on any of this later when I'm back on my laptop.

YL struggles to threaten the downward sweetspot angle from a distance. YL also somewhat struggles when, in the same situation, fox chooses to go up and towards a platform. Unlike marth and sheik, YL doesnt really have a way to cover multiple options in this scenario. The best solution I have come up with is to late nair to cover the straight forward, then dash to center FH nair/uair to cover high option, and give up edge option. I see no way to cover straight forward option and downward option at the same time.
Buket was getting at my idea here:
Well, chandy's whole idea was to pull a bomb as you approach the edge and cover side b over ledge and sweetspot with run off upb. It sounds like it'd work since youd descend at the same time covering both options and grabbing ledge. I dont think anyones tried it yet but I think it can work if you just watch your opponent attentively. You might have a point but we have to test things anyway.
The problem that we have identified here, I think, comes primarily from Young Link's apparent inability to cover the varying destinations of a spacie recovery in the y-axis. There are three main categories of "heights" a spacie can recover from (above the ledge, at ledge height, and below the ledge) and there are three "targets" for recovery that we have identified as places that Young Link must outright cover or otherwise be in a position to cover (sweetspot to ledge, onstage, and the side platform).

Regardless of the initial height the spacie recovers from or their intended destination, they must either pass above the ledge or go directly to it. What I think is the strength of this short hop bomb pull slide off up-B set-up I've been kicking around is that it has the potential to give YL the y axis coverage he needs to complete his flowchart.

As I theorized previously, run-off up-b covers side-B/straight horizontal Firefox to land onstage and edgehogs side-b sweetspot or down angled Firefox to sweetspot ledge (and the unconventional options like shorten to ledge, air dodge up and drift to ledge, straight up Firefox angles to drift to ledge or onstage. It covers these either directly or indirectly by putting you in a position to cover them by rolling up or invincible nairing). However, as Buket pointed out earlier and you've pointed out just now, being on ledge makes it very hard (or perhaps impossible) for you to cover high angles/options because Young Link can't move that quickly in the y-axis coming from ledge.

Well, if you have a bomb in hand after you've taken ledge with the slide off up-B, could you not ledgehop upward bomb throw to hit an up-b or side-B aiming for a side platform or to land onstage and then full jump nair them before they can do anythin else? Or maybe he can't get the nair in time. I don't know. I don't play Young Link, like, at all.

Laijin demonstrates the potential for y-axis bomb coverage in this gfy. Obviously here he does it with a swaggy preemptive set-up, but is there potential for developing this concept into YL's answer for high angle coverage from the ledge?

http://gfycat.com/ActualAnnualHarborporpoise

rhan

Smash Hero
I really like this thread. I'll have to read though the previous posts to catch up on the current topic but I'll try to be more active on this site for more discussions like this. If anyone wants to ask me anything the best ways to contact me are through Facebook and Skype.

If anyone is also on League of Legends that's another way to contact me.

League and Facebook in sig

Last edited:

Happens2u

Writing Team
Laijin demonstrates the potential for y-axis bomb coverage in this gfy. Obviously here he does it with a swaggy preemptive set-up, but is there potential for developing this concept into YL's answer for high angle coverage from the ledge?

http://gfycat.com/ActualAnnualHarborporpoise
I think this is great if you can hard-read a spacie going at a high angle, but there are some angles that are close to straight up as well as in between straight forward and straight up that the spacie will not hit. I say this because in the gif Laijin's bomb explodes because Abu hits it head on with perfect timing. I think within a reasonable range of bomb throw time so that one of the spacie up-B hitboxes connects and you hard read an angle subsection then I think throwing a bomb up is a great strategy.

Look at this picture and gif:
https://i.imgur.com/AOWZtkX.png
http://s882.photobucket.com/user/X1-12/media/FoxUpB.gif.html?t=1282912343

With the hitbox of the bomb and of the spacie up-B that gives a range of possible interactions. I think tests might be needed to determine what angles the bomb can cover.

uglywombat2004

Smash Lord
I don't have a second person to test this out with, so it'd be great if someone can get back to me on this. If you set a bomb right near the edge, will a down angled sweet spot Firefox have a large enough, or active enough hitbox to trigger the explosion? I usually do this against Marth, but the Dolphin Slash hitbox is much larger.

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
I'm back to the laptop now, so I was able to record some examples of what I'm talking about with the vertical bomb throw from ledge to cover high Firefox angles on reaction. The great thing about bombs is that if you need to do a regular old ledge hop nair to complete an edgeguard (to beat a shallower firefox angle intending to land onstage, for example), you can z-drop the bomb as soon as you start your ledge hop. Z-dropping is only a two frame commitment, so you'll still be able to get the nair out to complete the edgeguard. It's a fun time. Edgehogging with run-off up-B is your pre-emptive side-B coverage, although CPUs never recover with that anyway so who knows. Here's a link to the unlisted video, just something I threw together really quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XptA7suC3GQ

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
I'm back to the laptop now, so I was able to record some examples of what I'm talking about with the vertical bomb throw from ledge to cover high Firefox angles on reaction. The great thing about bombs is that if you need to do a regular old ledge hop nair to complete an edgeguard (to beat a shallower firefox angle intending to land onstage, for example), you can z-drop the bomb as soon as you start your ledge hop. Z-dropping is only a two frame commitment, so you'll still be able to get the nair out to complete the edgeguard. It's a fun time. Edgehogging with run-off up-B is your pre-emptive side-B coverage, although CPUs never recover with that anyway so who knows. Here's a link to the unlisted video, just something I threw together really quick.

Run off Up-B to ledgehop nair is a really effective and super swaggy way of covering side-B if you time it right.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman

Cool video, but it made me realize how much other young link players abuse nair. In those situations where you hit with a late nair you could have used 2nd hit bair which has almost identical KB, more if nair is staled. So 2nd hit bair has pretty much the same KB, more range, and less cooldown. This means you can do deeper for kills and get to the ledge sooner after hitting fox to cover the ledge.
They way I see it is you should only use nair if you know youre gonna get the early hit. If you can't theyre probably too far from you and you should just opt for a 2nd hit bair instead.

Last edited:

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
It's been a hot minute. I am working on more write-ups, I swear! Footage analysis is important to the project but it's also very boring. Any help with that would be very much appreciated. Even if it's not in an organized format like the template I provided, feel free to share footage of any edgeguards you thought were novel or well executed. The end result of this project is ideally a crowdsourced guide, so contributions from the YL playerbase are very valuable. Your input is important here more than ever; optimizing a rarely seen character is difficult and abstract, and in order to do it effectively we need to be aware of how well the ideas we come up with actually transfer over to real play.

With that in mind, have you guys been trying to implement any of this theorycrafting into your edgeguarding game? How do we feel about run-off up-B? Have we progressed at all in the debate over what projectile is best thrown during prep time? Can reactively throwing bombs upward from the ledge help Young Link cover the high Firefox/side-B options?

Side note, I have confirmed that you can do a short hop arrow slide off up-B just like the bomb pull one. I also figured out that you can dash, short hop, turnaround boomerang throw, and if you spaced your jump such that you slide off the edge during the final frames of boomerang, the animation will end and you'll grab ledge out of it. If you throw the boomerang at that steep low angle in doing so, it'll bounce off the ground and ricochet backward at a low diagonal upward angle, sailing off the side of the screen. I doubt the boomerang has enough priority on the rebound to stop Firefox in transit, but it could be neat. Try it out for yourself. I'll record both of these things when I get back to my capture card, probably won't make a separate video for them but I'll post the gfys in here.

Also, thinking in the longer term, what topic do you want to move on to after this one? I was thinking dthrow tech chases or guaranteed dair set-ups on all the top tier characters, but if there's anything you guys think is more important or pertinent, then by all means, let me know.

Last edited:

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
Run-off Up-B outprioritizes every recovery option the spacies have, and it actually comes out pretty fast, but it doesn't cover that much space and doesn't last that long.

Boomerang can actually stop Firefox in transit- BUT it has to hit them from behind. Not worth learning how to setup when it's just faster to pull out a bomb.

The best projectile during prep time is by far the bomb. As for reaction- I'd say if they're above the stage and up-bing, then up-b'ing completely horizontally should be covered by throw bomb up to intercept- nair.

If they up-b towards ledge, throw bomb horizontally to intercept, jump off, dj nair. You'll be able to get back to the ledge faster than they will and they'll be below the stage.

You could also d-tilt a recovery to the ledge- and covering whatever they do after that is super easy.

Haven't met a Fox that teched the d-tilt; but you should be able to just dtilt-ftilt to cover that.

If they up-B straight up, just short-hop nair as they fall to the ledge.

Weird thing I saw a while ago- a fox was in their up-b startup lag, and I fired an arrow down at them. It looked like it was going to hit their head, but instead it collided with the up-b hitboxes and the arrow just stayed there, constantly generating a clank-like graphic. Never happened to me before.

https://youtu.be/bn8WAb6MBw8?t=2m10s

3 failed edgeguards in a row lol

Also, we see the "throw bomb up to cover high recovery" not quite working.. I just think this shows you should only save it for Foxes who start their Up-B's high.

4:40 is SEXY though

And here is yours truly beating shine stall super cleanly. Don't think the Fox had a way to escape it after he shinestalled. The Fox definitely could have had better DI though.

https://gfycat.com/FancyPoorAfricanaugurbuzzard

To be honest, I think the simplest and most effective way to beat shinestalling is to just jump down with one of nair or bair. Then their only option is to jump up and take the aerial if you've spaced it well. If they're shinestalling really far out, that just gives you more time to pull projectiles and think of options.

Last edited:

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
I think it's interesting that you would say that bombs are by far the most worthwhile projectile to use during prep time, because Fortress | Sveet Fortress | Sveet specifically noted that bombs were not worth using during edge guards. What would you say in response to Sveet's comments on the matter (included below)? If Sveet's reading this, what do you make of the above post? My intuition is that bombs are still the most useful but I'm no Young Link player, I'd be interested to hear Sveet's defense of that claim.

Bombs are actually not that great, IMO. The trajectory isn't very useful for covering illusions, and the knockback usually helps them more than it hurts if you. If you pull one, you have two options. Use it to grab edge, or use it to hit them near the edge and try to follow up. Still not terrible, bombs are one of YL's best tools, but I think they are better used in the neutral/stage control game and left out of edgeguards.
I do think there are some good uses for bombs in edgeguarding, like covering firefox downward sweetspots. But my main problem is that once you pull a bomb, it is very difficult to cover sideb recoveries (cannot do nair or dsmash with a bomb in your hand). I will have to explore your run-off upb option to see if it changes my view.
Further, and this is an open question I've brought up but nobody's taken a crack at yet, is there a certain threshold of available prep time during which throwing a boomerang will lead to more options being covered than would have been covered had you tried to pull a bomb? Or, if there isn't enough time to do a bomb pull run off up-B ledge grab (which is the amount of hypothetical prep time I'm wondering about), would getting into place to do a jab or run-off up-B edgeguard without worrying about bomb pulls or throwing any boomerangs be more optimal than throwing a boomerang?

Last edited:

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
I revise my statement to say that you should pull a bomb when you notice the startup frames of the up-B so that you can react to any up-B trajectories. (Refer to two posts up for more details) I actually like throwing it down at Foxes who are way below the ledge, because if they're super low then it is sometimes ambiguous as to whether they will make it above the ledge or not, and then you don't know whether you should ledgehog or not. Allowing them to come closer to the ledge subsequently makes it easier to fall down and nair them and still get back. I feel that it is better to react to illusion with jab.

I'm beginning to think about runoff Up-B, and I think it isn't worthwhile because if your head gets clipped by a Falco side-B as you're on your way to the ledge, it wouldn't be fun.

You're an excellent mediator!

Last edited:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
I'm beginning to think about runoff Up-B, and I think it isn't worthwhile because if your head gets clipped by a Falco side-B as you're on your way to the ledge, it wouldn't be fun.
That doesnt really happen. Because youre in the air, upb uses the aerial upb hitboxes which are huge and cover your face. Side b hitbox comes after fox/falco any hitbox will stop them. As we discussed, it would be used to cover 2 options preemptively while allowing you to have a bomb in hand to cover a high side b or an up b. Of course this requires a lot of time but the amount of hitsun a SHFFL'd aerial would do should be enough time to set this up when a spacie is at high %.

Further, and this is an open question I've brought up but nobody's taken a crack at yet, is there a certain threshold of available prep time during which throwing a boomerang will lead to more options being covered than would have been covered had you tried to pull a bomb? Or, if there isn't enough time to do a bomb pull run off up-B ledge grab (which is the amount of hypothetical prep time I'm wondering about), would getting into place to do a jab or run-off up-B edgeguard without worrying about bomb pulls or throwing any boomerangs be more optimal than throwing a boomerang?
The only real time when you dont have the time to pull a bomb is if you hit them offstage at mid %s or you throw em off with bthrow/fthrow.
For those mid % edgeguard setups I think its best to throw a boomerang to cover options when they end up high(DI up) and better to get your jab ready when they end up low(DI away). I've seen many players(westballz) sweetspot immediately after DI away on an aerial.
Now for the bthrow or fthrow edgeguard setups it might actually be better to use arrows to cover options. I say this because these throws dont give you enough of a frame advantage to position yourself and I'd rather give someone the ledge than risk them reversing the situation. Arrow also has about half the startup time of boomerang making it better in this situation.

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff guys. I'm wondering where we go from here. Should we wait for more footage of our edgeguarding theorycraft being put into use in real matches, or is it kind of silly to expect that to get done anytime soon? I would like to move on to a new topic, but I feel like we have little evidence that anything we've discussed here actually works aside from our own educated opinions on the matter. I would feel much more comfortable saying we've done a thorough job with this topic if we had something to show for it besides interesting discussion and good ideas. A larger body of relevant footage to analyze would certainly help us resolve some of the differences in opinion we've encountered so far, like disputes over the best use of prep time or the best way to cover high options from the ledge. In my eyes, the best kind of support you can offer for your theories is footage of them actually working in game.

At the same time, I recognize that we can't expect footage of very specific circumstances to just appear out of nowhere. Spending too much time on one thing will stagnate discussion and hamper us in the long run. A lot of information has come to light regarding how to go about edgeguarding spacies, and although we have reached few concrete conclusions, I think we may now be able to provide satisfying answers to the questions I identified at the beginning of the topic. As a reminder:

1) In general, when is it best to edgeguard a spacie from the ledge and when are you better off staying on stage? Consider variables that will produce a unique or varied "recovery decision tree" like whether or not they have a double jump, whether or not they will need to use their double jump, the varying heights at which they can choose to side-B or up-B when recovering high or on stage, and whether or not they are in a position to recover with a non-standard option as a mix-up, like riding the wall to sweetspot from below, shortening to ledge from above, or airdodging up to grab ledge.

2) Depending on their percent and DI, a spacie may get sent at varying angles and end up in various locations offstage against Young Link. Because of this, a spacie may take a longer or shorter amount of time tumble down into a range where he can attempt to get back on stage or to the ledge by committing to an option. This means you will have a varying amount of prep time to pull bombs, throw boomerangs, take ledge, or charge a smash attack based on how long it takes for a spacie to enter your sphere of influence, including possible shinestalls and the start up of Firefox or Illusion. Given x amount of prep time and y "recovery decision tree" circumstances (see above), what is the optimal configuration of projectiles you should throw (or otherwise prepare, in the case of a bomb or a charged arrow) to cover the most options and lead to the best chance of a successful edgeguard.

3) At what point does the reward of going out after a spacie to edgeguard them proactively (by trying to hit them out of their up-B, side-B, or double jump as opposed to waiting onstage or at the ledge to edgeguard them reactively) outweigh the risk of screwing up and getting counter-edgeguarded yourself or, at the very least, giving up stage control? What moves should you use when attempting a proactive edgeguard that will be non-committal enough minimize your risk in case of failure while still being strong enough to achieve a positive result (either ending the edgeguard with a kill or ending up in a position to reasonably continue the edgeguard assuming good reaction time, solid execution, and perfect decision making) if executed successfully? Consider the variables that contribute to the various different "recovery decision tree" circumstances as mentioned in the above two questions. Also consider whether or not you have a bomb or time to pull one.

So here's where I need your input, guys. Regarding the current topic, is there anything that someone else brought up that you feel still needs to be discussed or elaborated upon? Is there anything we haven't discussed at all yet that you think is important to the topic of edgeguarding spacies? Do you feel like we're ready to move on given what we've done, or should we just keep talking about this for a while and analyze some more footage? If you do think we should move on, what topic should we look into next?

On a completely unrelated but still important note, I think I found the most efficient way to plant bombs on the field. Although this isn't directly related to edgeguarding spacies, if for whatever reason you want to lay as many bombs as possible as quickly as possible, you should make use of a platform and do some full hop bomb pull slide off bomb plants. This allows you to pull and set a bomb in only one jump. If you're starting on a platform, then you can do the same thing out of a short hop. As far as I know using this method to get a bomb on each edge of a platform is the quickest way to get two bombs on the field. Unless someone else knows of a faster way to plant multiple bombs, in which case I'm all ears.

http://gfycat.com/AnxiousGrouchyHatchetfish

As you can see with the second bomb in the gfy above, you can also do this on the outer edge of a platform to lay a bomb on the platform and then take ledge immediately afterwards. Although a stationary preemptive bomb is easier for the spacie to avoid than one thrown reactively from the ledge, maybe a bomb left on the platform could be an alternative solution to YL's problem with covering high options from the ledge. Probably not though. Either way, you should definitely practice this. If you wanted to use this to set up for an edgeguard, it would probably look something like this:

http://gfycat.com/UnfortunateShimmeringBinturong

In the gfy above, after planting the first bomb, I had to walk forward to get to the right spacing to do the second short hop back bomb pull slide off bomb plant. However, that's actually suboptimal. This set-up would be a few frames faster if you wavelanded left to the exact right spacing after the first bomb plant so you could immediately start your short hop back for the second bomb plant instead of having to waste time on the walk. Unfortunately I'm bad at this character so I'm not really technical enough to pull that off. You guys can grind it though! Optimized Young Link sure is technically demanding, sheesh.

Alternatively, instead of planting the second bomb on the ledge, you could waveland back after the first bomb plant and do a slide-off up-B with the momentum from the waveland as your preemptive side-B coverage. This is more in line with our current edgeguarding flowchart, except instead of having the bomb in hand to potentially cover a high option, the bomb has already been planted on the platform ahead of time. If you have enough time, you could also max distance waveland toward center stage upon landing from the first bomb plant, then dash toward the ledge and do the short hop bomb pull slide off up-B ledge grab, which is the best of both worlds but also time consuming and technically demanding.

Last edited:

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
Kinda late to the party here, but I've only had time to read some of the great walls of text here.

I think we should start incorporating more images and actual flowcharts, etc

And for spacies it's rather simple isn't it? Assume the side-b and cover the up-b. Jab and Nair.

My philosophy is to always be agressive and go out and nair the poo out of them as they try and recover. They can't really challenge you and your floatiness allows multiple attacks off stage especially with wall jump.

Close the distance on them, follow them out there like a goalie coming towards an advancing opponent. Limit their angles and smother their possible options.

If you get too fancy in bracket you lose the edgeguard.

Brando550

Smash Cadet
If you get too fancy in bracket you lose the edgeguard.
My thoughts exactly. All these bomb set-ups just seem too impractical for a tourney match where you have to react quickly. Who has time to pull out 2 bombs and perfectly space their jumps to plop bombs onto platforms at the edge? Sure, you can practice it enough to where you have muscle memory, but still seems like too much hassle for the same effort of you just pulling 1 bomb and throwing it straight at the Firefox.

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
I definitely appreciate theory-crafting like this and what Chandy does (and is trying to do here)

But I honestly think Spacies are the easiest to flowchart. Complicating usually results in too much thinking when it should be automatic, confident, and efficient.

You have the quick moves that you can do on reaction like Jab and Nair (or Bair, Dsmash kind of)

Depending on situation you would want to throw and bomb and boomerang to close angle possiblities

and you can use F-tilt, D-tilt, and Dsmash to cover the lip but those moves can be teched/meteor cancelled and they are sort of soft reads that can leave you missing higher options.

I think Samus and Peach deserve a lot of attention since they are a bit harder for YL and require more active coverage and planning. Using projectiles to rid of samus bombs on recovery, covering Peaches tricky Umbrella, FF, float recovery.

Thankfully these characters are less common but it only takes 1 or 2 in bracket and you will run into competent ones at regionals and beyond if not locally.

Last edited:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts exactly. All these bomb set-ups just seem too impractical for a tourney match where you have to react quickly. Who has time to pull out 2 bombs and perfectly space their jumps to plop bombs onto platforms at the edge? Sure, you can practice it enough to where you have muscle memory, but still seems like too much hassle for the same effort of you just pulling 1 bomb and throwing it straight at the Firefox.
Even though this may not be useful for edgegaurding spacies it definitely is for edgeguarding peach. Just watch axe play YL vs peach he does that **** but in a more inefficient way. Also, in a lot of cases fox is too far to follow up on the bomb and it can be SDI'ed up to push him even further with just the knockback.

I definitely appreciate theory-crafting like this and what Chandy does (and is trying to do here)

But I honestly think Spacies are the easiest to flowchart. Complicating usually results in too much thinking when it should be automatic, confident, and efficient.

You have the quick moves that you can do on reaction like Jab and Nair (or Bair, Dsmash kind of)

Depending on situation you would want to throw and bomb and boomerang to close angle possiblities

and you can use F-tilt, D-tilt, and Dsmash to cover the lip but those moves can be teched/meteor cancelled and they are sort of soft reads that can leave you missing higher options.

I think Samus and Peach deserve a lot of attention since they are a bit harder for YL and require more active coverage and planning. Using projectiles to rid of samus bombs on recovery, covering Peaches tricky Umbrella, FF, float recovery.

Thankfully these characters are less common but it only takes 1 or 2 in bracket and you will run into competent ones at regionals and beyond if not locally.
Falco is easy to edgeguard but not fox. Fox can sweetspot under your moves and both spacies can shorten to mixup the timing for your edgeguards if youre just using these onstage moves. They also have those edge cancelled side b recoveries. We cant keep it that simple because it's not simple.

I'll tell you a bit on samus and peach when chandy gives us the green light to discuss those MUs. Tbh theyre very easy to deal with offstage, especially samus.

Last edited:

Brando550

Smash Cadet
Here's a link to a YL vs Peach game for some references on edge-guarding. Just a warning; chudat's Young Link seems reaalllyyy rusty in it. So it may not be the best video, but we don't have that much footage in the first place, so we gotta use what we can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP9Car43ZYI

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately Chu's YL is stuck int he meta that he first debuted it in. He basically just plays it like a Brawl character, he's a smart player which offsets any deficits in practice.

I'm not quite sure what ihasbucket is even talking about but Peacha and Samus are the most ambiguous and difficult IMO. Both have the ability to change their aerial momentum and direction in unpredictable ways.

I mean you can try and snipe Samus's bombs and Nair her out of tether and you can throw bombs vertically at the ledge and boomerang Peach but in capable hands most of the time they make it back quite easily.

Luckily YL has good vertical kill options and the Dsmash which can send both below the stage which can flat out stop any recovery possibility. So I find 90% it's just better to go for straight kills and just try and get % on them with projectiles as then recover.

tsm2k420XX

Smash Cadet
For spacies, wouldn't the best options be to stay grounded and sh nair as an approach?

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
^ To the above, the answer is - " sort of "

If you have great unpredictable movement (DD, WD, WLs) then you can probably get away with Nair as a main approach. SH Bair, DJ Bair, Nair can be a safe option for pressure, difficult to learn at first but well worth it.

You can space better with Fairs, if you go Nairing predictablly well....both spacies have more range and better pressure, and both can punish a Nair from YL since his SHFFL isn't the fastest. The move doesn't have a lot of sheild stun or initial KB. It would be best to try and build up percent first with projectiles.

You always want to take them to large stages like Dreamland, you have much greater horizontal mobility in the air so you can actually camp above them as long as you constantly move fast side to side and pull/throw projectiles. This also nullifies their superior ground game and laser cancels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Spacies Edgeguarding Basics (Summary/Synopsis) -

As has been said since the dawn of edgeguarding spacies - Assume the side-B (in all lengths or LC), and cover the Up-B

Once they've started their Up-B.....it's playtime for Young Link (you can giggle like a madman if you like).

You should always go out and nair the crap out of them. At pretty much any percent you should chuck a bomb out first as you jump out to close off angles. if the bomb connects you can Nair or Fair them out there as they are in hitstun. Soft Nair to DJ/falling strong Nair is highly useful. BOth have priority to beat both Up-Bs outright.

You can also do the whole boomerang high - middle - low thing but you can miss that if you aren't really practiced with the angles. You can even hang back and jab them to drop off nair if you are late to the ledge

But......at any level most spacies will go for the Side-B recovery to the ledge because that is faster than reaction time BARELY, so the best option is to hang on the edge refreshing inv. and nair them as they approach using side-B. If they go for ledge just roll up or get up attack, if they side b on stage or try and ledge cancel on plat YL can cover both with a ledge dash to anything (Grab, 19% boomerang, bomb, and Uair are the best punishes to start a combo, Dair an ender). Be aware of shortens from better players, this is almost un-reactable to since you can't expect it always. YL can get to almost any recovery attempt from the ledge because of his LD and mobility, so there isn't much incentive to not hog the ledge and refresh.

Dsmash and Ftilt are soft reads, and afterwards be ready to attack them again if they tech (I usually like the drop off Nair or Bair them into stage spike).

Dtilt is a read and if they meteor cancel be ready to do the same as above (YL's has much less end lag and meteors easier than Link's)

It's experimental but sometimes I like to mix it up and tilt throw a bomb up just beyond the ledge. This sometimes scare even veteran players into missing the ledge or doing a bad angle. And If you are across the stage YOU NEED TO GET A BOMB AND CHUCK IT OVER THE LIP, they are going to try and side b quickly as you try and reach their side. The bomb will catch them as you close the distance for a follow up. A boomerang is slower (unless you have to pluck a bomb), and the stun is not enough to prevent regrab on ledge or retaliation.

Last edited:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
For spacies, wouldn't the best options be to stay grounded and sh nair as an approach?
Tbh if you dont crossup or fade(hard to set up) it's a terrible approach against any character. Late nair is 0 on shield but if youre gonna do that you might as well just do a late fair since it's also 0 on shield. Bair is amazing as there are many mixups out of it and bomb is godlike in neutral.

You always want to take them to large stages like Dreamland, you have much greater horizontal mobility in the air so you can actually camp above them as long as you constantly move fast side to side and pull/throw projectiles. This also nullifies their superior ground game and laser cancels.
I have to disagree with this on the falco MU. My main training partner is a Falco main and he knows the MU like the back of his hand. Falco's FJ can reach the top platform(lowest top platform of the legal stages) and the high side platforms make it take much longer for Young Link to reach them. This weakens young links juggles, platform movement, platorm techchase/followups, and gives falco a platform that's still really hard for young link to reach. The huge stage and absurd horizontal blast zones makes it hard to kill and even set edgeguards up.
Personally I prefer and perform better on PS. The low ceiling isnt a problem since there's no top platform; Falco cant gimp you off the top without it and he doesnt have any strong vertical kill moves. You can juggle falco across the stage until he falls on a platform(which is easy to follow up on because theyre low) or until you can hit him offstage.
Whatever works better for you though.

Last edited:

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
edgeguarding falco shouldn't be too hard to do due his subpar recovery. and you can seriously hurt fox offstage by keeping offensive and abusing his fast faller nature. overall edgeguarding isn't YL main issue with spacies but an easy one to tackle it seems. good for a first topic.

Brando550

Smash Cadet
So is this topic pretty much solved? Seems like we've talked about everything we need to.

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure. I want to work on cataloging more edgeguards based on footage but for all these people who claim to know exactly how the edgeguards should be carried out, I would like to seem them attach some footage of their methods working in practice before I really feel confident that it's the most optimal way to go about things. The end goal of this project will be something like a crowdsourced guide on how to play Yung $$$ in the current meta. I've been busy with school and other projects lately so I haven't been around too much to direct the discussion, and I'm sorry for that.

If I actually played the character I could try to create footage myself but as it stands I'm not in a position to make that happen. I streamed with SparkingZero (that Young Link player/friend/training partner in my region) twice recently, he played vs spacies pretty often because the third man in the rotation for both sessions was a spacie main. I'm sifting through the archive right now to try to find nice edgeguards to look at, he's getting really smart with his offstage nairs, boomerangs, and dsmashes. If I find anything nice I'll highlight it and gfycat it, feel free to check through it on your own too if you've got the time. If you want me to make a gfycat of something he did in the archive, give me a timestamp and I'll get it done!

http://www.twitch.tv/cnb_chandy/v/40440864
http://www.twitch.tv/cnb_chandy/v/38049812

Brando550

Smash Cadet
I see. I'll take a looksies at those links. Personally I have the means to record tournament sets on my TV and have been wanting to go to a lot more tournaments lately, so hopefully I can get some good footage for you.

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
I skimmed through one of the VODs, here's all the relevant gfys I could pick out. Critique! Discuss! Please enjoy me getting hype over super standard Young Link edgeguarding in the playercam as a special bonus. The other VOD expires soon, I'll make sure to have that one looked over in the near future.

I'm sure this is nothing new or exciting to most of you, but I understand that simplicity and efficiency are important to optimal play. A lot of these are just nairs and boomerangs, and that's okay. I've noticed that just using a few tools with fast reactions and good judgment seems to be far more reliable in actual play. Let me know what you think.

#2: Stray Hit Up-B into Boomerang Ftilt
http://gfycat.com/LeanInexperiencedDuiker

#3: Double Hit Fsmash into Up-Angle Boomerang Nair
http://gfycat.com/SociableGrizzledIndianrhinoceros

#4: Nair --> Read Double Jump with Boomerang --> Dropzone Fastfall Nair
http://gfycat.com/UnrulyWeeAmericancrayfish

#5: Dsmash Low Boomerang Ftilt Nair into Runoff Nair
http://gfycat.com/UnawareBigheartedIbadanmalimbe

#6: Fair --> Cover Double Jump Side-B with straight horizontal Boomerang --> Runoff Nair
http://gfycat.com/WelloffFearfulIsabellineshrike

#7: Bthrow --> Jab to cover potential side-B --> SH Nair --> Runoff Nair
http://gfycat.com/MetallicSnappyHarrier

As an extra treat, but still unrelated, here's a neat Marth edgeguard utilizing ledge hop z-drop bombs to supplement your coverage.
http://gfycat.com/WelcomeThunderousIlsamochadegu

kaptinkillem

Smash Cadet
Seems like the YL edgeguard flow chart is similar to fox vs fox. You just replace shine with weak nair. You just try to hit them and force them to UP-B low, then do weak nair.

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
A lot of those gfycats are proof of the reason why I'll always be happy to contribute to this thread (when I get a recording setup), but it'll never be useful to me. My edgeguards are similarly freestyled (up until the point where I get them to up-B below the ledge, and then I know I just have to nair them).

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
Two more neat gfys from the second VOD.

#8: Boomerang into Dash Attack --> Read Ledgehop Double Laser --> Dsmash Runoff Nair
http://gfycat.com/CoarseInsignificantCrayfish

#9: Nair Boomerang Ftilt --> Reaction Dsmash
http://gfycat.com/AnyLongCero

A lot of those gfycats are proof of the reason why I'll always be happy to contribute to this thread (when I get a recording setup), but it'll never be useful to me. My edgeguards are similarly freestyled (up until the point where I get them to up-B below the ledge, and then I know I just have to nair them).
Never say never! A lot of you guys seem to have a good grasp on edgeguarding, but when we move on to weirder stuff like dthrow reaction tech chases or guaranteed dair set-ups I feel like a lot of new and interesting research will come to light. I think we'll move on to something new pretty soon, I'll try my best to sum up what's been said and give answers to our guiding questions over the next week or so. If anyone wants to contest or elaborate on something that was brought up earlier, now's the time to do it.

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
Are you jealous that DK doesn't have YL's bombs or boomerang CnB | Chandy CnB | Chandy :troll:
Makes me think how cool it would be if DK could throw barrels or bananas or something in this game.

Anyways on topic - Probably already been covered but.....

Bthrow > Bair DJ Bair is also an amazing early gimp starter on spacies and sometimes Marth if you catch their DJ. You have WD off the ledge Bair at low percents since YLs F and B throw suck.

Last edited:

-Stavo-

Smash Rookie
Hi! I also want to try and optimize Young Link to make him a tad bit more viable, so I hope its okay if I'll be contributing to this cause with gifs of my own from netplay! I have a few good gifs but only one worth showing at the moment.

When playing against a spacie, if they are up-bing towards the stage, would a Nair snuff them? I feel like the spacies hurt box would not come into contact with the nairs hitbox. Which leads me to my gif, could an up B wall stop a spacie from going ANY direction?

So Boomerang to catch the spacies up b, and then a YL up b to catch the second one? https://gfycat.com/AdorableBeautifulCock
(pls excuse me not just simply grabbing the ledge lmao)

Any thoughts? Thanks!

uglywombat2004

Smash Lord
That's actually and interesting question. I have often done this on accident, but I remember it working fairly well.

I think the main problem would be SDI on the multi hit of Spin Attack.

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
Hi! I also want to try and optimize Young Link to make him a tad bit more viable, so I hope its okay if I'll be contributing to this cause with gifs of my own from netplay! I have a few good gifs but only one worth showing at the moment.

When playing against a spacie, if they are up-bing towards the stage, would a Nair snuff them? I feel like the spacies hurt box would not come into contact with the nairs hitbox. Which leads me to my gif, could an up B wall stop a spacie from going ANY direction?

So Boomerang to catch the spacies up b, and then a YL up b to catch the second one? https://gfycat.com/AdorableBeautifulCock

Any thoughts? Thanks!
In this case you should have 100% just naired him. Falco has no active hitbox on his Up b and yl nair can beat out foxs hitbox on his up b during start up and while propelled.

Up b edge guard is an old tactic used by links back in the day. Can still work but you want to time it so you get the last hit only then grab ledge. Can be dangerous but it allows for edge coverage immediately to something else or just a straight kill.

Last edited:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Like brash said the nair was free and a better option here. Nair will out range a moving up b and falco doesnt have the startup hitbox so theres nothing to worry about. Upb wall is only really good if youre already offstage but cant reach the ledge in time. In which case you always grab ledge after you up b to avoid landinglag to let the spacie back on, which is what happened in your gyf

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If instead of running off the level and up-b'ing you had short hopped off the level, you would have had the distance to get to Falco with a double jump nair.

Top Bottom