• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Young Link Info Dump

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
young_link_600.png

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/22.html

Changes to Young Link since Melee:
  • Expanded to three taunts (drink Lon Long Milk, summon Navi, and overhead sword celebration).
  • New Dark Link outfit.
  • Rapid jab now has stinger/finisher.
  • Bombs only hit once.
You gonna main Young Link? Then go vote!
... under construction ...

Last edited:

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Bombs only hit once.
ಠ_ಠ ...but that's Young Link's THING. Toon Link has regular single-hit bombs and Link now has the remote bombs. I was certain they'd keep this feature so they all have unique bombs.

To make a suggestion, it might be helpful to list out each move and add what we know is the same as well as what's different. I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in whether or not a move has been "decloned".

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
ಠ_ಠ ...but that's Young Link's THING. Toon Link has regular single-hit bombs and Link now has the remote bombs. I was certain they'd keep this feature so they all have unique bombs.

To make a suggestion, it might be helpful to list out each move and add what we know is the same as well as what's different. I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in whether or not a move has been "decloned".
For sure. I didn't have much time to build what's there now, but I will definitely start fleshing out details (such as screenshots of the new taunts).

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
I find single hit bombs to be easier to combo with. Haven't seriously played melee YL in a while so maybe I'm misremembering, but how consistent was the knock back/angle due to multihits?

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Things I've noticed:
-Dair uses the same animation. A downward thrust the same as the other two Links. No confirmation yet on the fire sweetspot
-Neutral Special is still fire bow, and the fire gfx seem to be more pronounced while charging.
-Up Special in the air uses the same animation, still shared with Link prime and presumably Toon Link. No idea if the grounded version is still a multi-hit move.
-Fsmash is still the same animation as Link's (but not Toon Link anymore), looks closer to Brawl/Smash4 than the original Melee animation. Still a two-hit move.
-Usmash is still the same animation as Link's, still a three-hit move.
-Grab is still the classic hookshot tether, shared by Toon Link but no longer shared by Link prime. Presumably still has a Zair as well.
-Uthrow is the same animation, presumably still shared with Toon Link (but not Link anymore).

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I hope they fine tune his model, it looks terrible compared to some of the others.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I hope they fine tune his model, it looks terrible compared to some of the others.
He indeed needs some refinement, but I still think he looks fabulous so far.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So, do you guys think bombs hitting once will affect Yink in any way? I haven't played Melee in a long time to remember the originals merits.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
So, do you guys think bombs hitting once will affect Yink in any way? I haven't played Melee in a long time to remember the originals merits.
I'm primarily interested in the overall damage dealt. I recall the multiple hits being a problem in that they gave the opponent multiple SDI opportunities.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I agree with TheBuzzSaw TheBuzzSaw . If the single hit deals comparable damage to the multi-hit it could make setup more reliable for Yink Mains. I like the look of multiple explosions but for the sake of fighter potential I would prefer the single hit even if the damage is less.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, how exactly does :ultyounglink:'s fire arrows work? I know they existed in Melee too, but I never played it, so does it work like :ulttoonlink:'s custom fire arrows in SSB4? I don't know much about them aside from them igniting at full charge.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
They were purely aesthetic in Melee. Also, how dare you speak of custom moves! (I don't know anyone's custom moves anymore.)

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
So, how exactly does :ultyounglink:'s fire arrows work? I know they existed in Melee too, but I never played it, so does it work like :ulttoonlink:'s custom fire arrows in SSB4? I don't know much about them aside from them igniting at full charge.
"Compared to the Bow and Hero's Bow, the Fire Bow does not shoot arrows as far, and they deal slightly less damage, but they have more hitstun and set foes on fire. In comparison to Link's Bow in Melee, it has a faster startup and charging time, and its uncharged arrows deal more damage than Link's uncharged arrows."

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice

What can we get out of this? I find F tilt to look pretty slow to be honest. And was that a sliding up smash?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Final Smash confirmed to be Triforce Slash same as Toon Link.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Just added the Treehouse 8-way FFA to the Video Archive thread I started a while back. I'll be on the lookout for more videos starting tomorrow afternoon/evening. There will be a college football tailgate event tomorrow in South Carolina if I remember correctly. With the full roster playable at the demos now I am hopeful that at least one person will record something for us.

It will be pretty late at that point but I'll be at the Ohio State vs Michigan game and I'll see if I can convince my wife to go to the Smash Bros booth while we're there. It's the last currently scheduled pre-release event though, so I think my efforts will have little impact on the wait we have left.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
It will be pretty late at that point but I'll be at the Ohio State vs Michigan game and I'll see if I can convince my wife to go to the Smash Bros booth while we're there. It's the last currently scheduled pre-release event though, so I think my efforts will have little impact on the wait we have left.
If you do go, can I make a request? Could you see what his outfits are like and if his Lon Lon Milk taunt heals him?

:135:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I really wish we could just have black tunics for the various Links instead of Dark Link, but I have to admit Young Link's probably looks the best of all of them. I'm heavily eyeballing that light blue one though... :love:

valtykeaton

Smash Cadet
Alright my darlings. I've taken the liberty to watch over that 8 player Smash video with Young Link in and suss out everything about the character that I could.
I'm only giving averages on the frames, they're not accurate so take them with a grain of salt. And remember this is in FFA 8 player smash so these damages will be higher in 1v1.

His entrance is Link's entrance from 64 where he glides down on a beam of light and strikes his sword. Pretty nice little call back to 64!
He retains his voice from Melee, with his star KO cry being similar to when he falls off a tall cliff in Ocarina of Time.
Very fast ground movement with a quick fastfall and very nice air mobility. Gives strong Melee vibes in his general movement.
Final Smash is Triforce Slash.

Fair looks like it has about 7-8 frames of landing lag. No clue on damage but it did seem to connect consistently in the clips.
Dair's late hit did 15.7%
Nair looks like it had about 4-5 frames of landing lag and did 7.3% late hit.
Upair came out extremely fast, I'm willing to say 4-5 frames and did 15.7%. Pretty low landing lag, around 11 frames maybe? Hard to say.

Jab1 looks like it came out about frame 4-5. He can do his classic 1-2-3 jab combo along with rapid.
F-tilt's hitbox seems kinda small unfortunately but appears to end faster than Link's. Not sure by how many frames though.
Dash attack looks like it came out around frame 6-7 and did 11.6%. Not sure on FAF but seems to end reasonably quick all things considered. Has a very low launch angle so would be great for catching landings and setting up edge guards.
Down Smash's first hit did 13.8%, similarly low angle to dash attack. Not sure on frame data but looks about on par with Link's Sm4sh down smash.

Bombs look like they have a short fuse. Roughly the same as Link's from Sm4sh, maybe a touch longer? They did 7% on non-contact.
Boomerang's frame data looks similar to Tink's from Sm4sh. The damage was very hard to figure out on this one. Close range I think did 10% but I'm really not sure. Has a returning hitbox.

Unfortunately this is the most information I could pluck from the clip. Frame data could very well be wrong but it gives you a rough enough idea.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
The 4-5 frame Jab and nair makes me quiet happy. It actually lets Young Link be a speedy sword character

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
He looks so good! I didn't realize how much I missed Young Link (as opposed to Toon Link) until we got him back.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
This is great news. YL being able to fast fall and having good airspeed is all I wanted for him. I know he wont be as mobile as he was in melee considering how mechanics for newer smash games are but I am glad he retains most of his promising qualities.

Rejoice brethren! Our nimble boi is back!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTvq8aiZTBw&feature=youtu.be

Found some footage of one of Young Link's victory animations. It's at the end of the video. Really loving this victory pose!
I do wish he did smile but it is still a very adorable victory pose.

Also can we talk about that fire arrow range

I'm not sure if this has been noticed yet but Young Link's boomerang falls when it clashes. Toon Link's do the same. You can see it here in this video:
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lPKqdrdwrWxb
Same things happens with Link as well. Maybe Sakurai decided to a bit of realism reference what would actually happen to a boomerang if it was interrupted mid flight

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Same things happens with Link as well. Maybe Sakurai decided to a bit of realism reference what would actually happen to a boomerang if it was interrupted mid flight

Have you seen anyone try to catch it before it disappears?

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Oh man, that video with the victory animation was so painful to watch. I'm sure I played smash bros better than that from day 1. Clearly, they weren't hardcore but man, that was not an enjoyable video.

Top Bottom