• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You guys need to brace yourselves, because...

Status
Not open for further replies.

agag19

Smash Rookie
Yes I do completely agree with this although, I'm honestly not expecting many reviews below 9. This is not because my hopes are up it just my logic. Either way I'm playing Brawl till either my fingers or eyes bleed.

I believe many reviewers won't fail to overlook the fact that this game is incredibly fun.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
IGN gives high scores because the reviewers only review games of their division, giving them some sort of a fanboy advantage over the point. Matt Cassasomething loved SSBM, so he'll praise SSBB highly
But that's the beauty of divisional reviewing. An XBox player should never review a Wii game, despite the fact that they might like the game or not. Wii gamers have a lot to compare to for their own system.

That's why FIFA players should always review FIFA, or footie players should at least review all football (soccer for you yanks) games. Anyone from another division won't understand why it works like this or that, simply because he / she isn't familiar with the system itself.

Besides, Nintendo created its own market. Comparing Wii games to PS3 or XBox 360 games is madness. That's why Nintendo reviewers should review Nintendo products, because of the differences between the systems and companies. And that's the same reason why PS3 reviewers can more easily review XBox 360 games, and vice versa, because in essence, they play the same way.

BigBlackNThunderous

Smash Rookie
i love the game and i wouldn't even give it a 10/10. why ? because there's not headset, online play without headset?? wtf?? and there's no ranking, i hate nintendo's motto, "FAMILY STYLE"!!!!

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
who cares if it gets low rating. Ratings are for people who dont know what games they like and the rating makes people buy the game,which would attract new players, and i dont think nobody likes to play noobs.
The higher the review, the most people you usually get buying the game. The more people buying the game, the happier it makes Nintendo. A happy Nintendo = sequels or games of a similar nature.

Get over yourself and you desire not to play "noobs". Beginners are going to play this game, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. However, I doubt these beginners will still be playing this game a year or 2 years into its life span. And that's when online competing will either become amazing or fizzle out do to lack of interest.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I agree, Brawl will not be critically acclaimed in the West. Some people just don't like it.

But I reckon a lot of people on this forum will dub Brawl the best game ever made ;) (myself included)

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Oh, phew. I thought you were going to say "You just got Rick Rolled!" when I got to first post lol! Anyways, I just read reviews from Nintendo Power really since they actually do Nintendo system games ONLY. If a game gets a 9 good, but it doesn't mean I'm rushing to the store to buy it before anyone else. If it gets below a 6 then I'll think about it. If a game I love and want to get gets any score I will get it because I want it. Heck, not many people care about Chibi-Robo, but in my opinion it's one of the best GC games next to Smash Bros and Zelda. I say nuts to reviewers!

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Brawl will not get 10/10s from every publication. The press *rarely* acknowledges the depth of the Smash series (only Screwattack and Nintendo Power have) and generally considers it to be a party game.

It's a sad fact that we're a minority and most of the world doesn't think the way we do. There are so many things about the Smash series that uninformed reviewers will complain about, like online, friend codes, "dated gameplay"and others.

I just don't want you to get your hopes up and have them crushed because GI or EGM gives it an 8.7. It doesn't matter what they think of the game, because they don't know anything about it. What matters is what you think of the game, because you're the that will be playing it two, three, maybe five years from now. Not them.
I already know that. If they do give it such a score, all the other awesome scores will blow them out of the water. Besides, we as a community that will play Brawl more and explore its depth will have more of an understanding of what Brawl is. :)

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
I dont know if oyu've nooticed or not but whatever review Magazines give the game doesn't effect how much you should enjoy it, rate oyur own games dont leave it down to anoybody else.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't know about ratings out of 10 but game magazines or any other reviewers hardly ever give even an amazing game 100%.

So I wouldn't worry to much about brawl not getting full marks. ;)

I'd say from the reviewers brawl will get 9/10's and 90-95%
Brawl will definitly be better than melee and melee scored fairly high among reviews I've seen(Most I've seen in the 80% area)

and anyone who say's it's a party game needs to get their head examined, it's a fighting game....gosh it's not that hard to see :dizzy:

susu_atari

Smash Ace
Doesn't matter to me, really, but honestly, I can't see it getting less than 90% from anywhere.

The sheer size of it is probably enough to ensure that.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Guys, I want to tell you something. Yesterday when I was watching Attack of the Show and X-Play, I read the words at the bottom and it turns out that Brawl got a perfect score from four reviewers from Famitsu, which is a 40 out of 40. It's the 7th game in history from the magazine to get such a score. For me, that helps my optimism for Brawl.

SinHarvester

Smash Rookie
Guys, I want to tell you something. Yesterday when I was watching Attack of the Show and X-Play, I read the words at the bottom and it turns out that Brawl got a perfect score from four reviewers from Famitsu, which is a 40 out of 40. It's the 7th game in history from the magazine to get such a score. For me, that helps my optimism for Brawl.
As said earlier, Famitsu also gave Nintendogs 40/40... so that should be saying something. I really don't think we should be paying much heed to reviews.

SinHarvester

Smash Rookie
Wow. Didn't know that. Well, I heard Nintendogs is a good game, so it doesn't bother me much.
Sorry didn't mean to sound so harsh but I just get annoyed at reviews/reviewers when I find most of the time they don't reflect how the people I know and myself feel. And then also partially agitated at people who know nothing about a game and believe reviews as fact. Again sorry if I came off too rashly.

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Gamespot said that there was almost no differences in gameplay between 64 and Melee, I doubt they'll even pick up on the existence of Smash Balls ths time around. My guess is the reviewer will just play the first couple SSE stages and go off of that for the review.

Unrelated game, but Indigo Prophecy (or Fahrenheit to the purists) was given a pretty high rating obviously just based off the game's (undeniably brilliant) intro stage. I don't think Gamespot really digs deep into games to base their reviews off of. Well, except when it's the next generic FPS on the market.

Showbiz

Smash Cadet
Ever hear of Metacritic? I didn't think so.

Whatever score that will be on there is the score that Brawl deserves.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
The reason I don't care what magazines/online sites give Brawl is because I know for a fact it's gonna be good.

I mean, it's a build on two previously great games. They'd have change the core game play or take away elements for Brawl to be anything less then Smash or Melee was.

And they were greatness, so yeah...

In my eyes, Brawl's gonna a FIGHTING GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111!!!1!1!!1!!!... I'll play just as much, if not more, then Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur IV.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
I remember when the number 1 gaming magazine here in Finland gave Melee only average rating. The only major problem of the game was supposedly "crappy single player content". Man, I was pissed of. Really, how can you penalize a pure multiplayer game for not being fun to play alone? Even though Brawl will have a slightly better single play, I think reviewers will still deduct some points for that. On the other hand, Brawl has online play, so even those who don't have friends to play with can now fully enjoy multiplaying.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
This will be funny because the people that will say they don't care about reviewers will be the first ones to make a *****ing thread about reveiwers giving a Brawl a score under 90%. >_>

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who doesn't read GameSpot reviews? :confused:

I like to read Game Informer and EGM. That's about it. In all honesty, I've been waiting for this game for nearly two years now, so a review isn't going to stop me from playing it.

Famitsu was nice, though.

*completely misses the point of the thread*

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
There are so many things about the Smash series that uninformed reviewers will complain about, like online, friend codes, "dated gameplay"and others.
Although I agree with the general point in this topic, I can't agree that complaining about friend codes or the lack of leaderboards makes someone uninformed. Friend codes are an actual hindrance to fun gameplay, the only reason for their existence is Nintendo's massive paranoia about getting sued if a kid playing the game ends up getting in contact with some creepy older person up to know good through the online mode. Personally I'm unlikely to play against strangers that much anyway, and I'm not too fussed about leaderboards, but they are legitimate concerns that can have a big effect on the quality of the multiplayer for a lot of people.

The "dated gameplay" comment I completely agree with though :)

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
Of course it won't get 10/10s from every review. I agree in what you said. Reviewers will most likely nitpick about online and being too similar to Melee, but it won't change my opinion. I never owned Melee for myself, so it's all better for me.

TrePVox

Smash Cadet
Just because a game has a few minor flaws doesn't make it any less of an amazing game mainly to me. I have friends and were all Smashers and have Wii's so when it comes out well be playing with each other but can't add anyone you don't know to your friends list because you don't have there Wii code will mark down the game I bet you money when IGN and GameInformer come out to review it. Fact is theres those of us who love the game to death and most of us have yet to even try it. I think that everyone on this Forum will love the game and play with each other until Nintendo anounces that Super Smash Bros *blank* is in the works. Were all gonna have our complants and our postive point (more positive though), and thats ok, we just need to come to the fact that we are not like everyone else.
We are the few
The Proud
The Smashers.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
IGN gives high scores because the reviewers only review games of their division, giving them some sort of a fanboy advantage over the point. Matt Cassasomething loved SSBM, so he'll praise SSBB highly
I agree and disagree. I think that the set up IGN has is better than many other gaming sites in terms of reviews, simply because there is less likely to be a biased opinion that will cause problems. I generally have to say they do a lot better than other sites like Gamespot, at the very least.

And as far as this thread goes, it really depends on the specific review. If a reviewer gives a game I love a 4/10 and can explain why, I will be much more understanding and not care than if they couldn't come up with a good reason for that score.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is still my perfect example of a incredibly poorly reviewed game with enough bias thrown in for ten games. Sure, I wouldn't give the game a 10 either, but it's at least an 8.3 or so. I mean, counting off points because a strategy game is difficult, and because it has a deep story with a lot of text... might as well take off points for Mario for not having enough guns.

Malificent

Smash Apprentice
I myself do not read or listen to video game reviews mainly because I think reviewers are completely bias, and part of that was proven fact when one of Gamespot.com's main employee's was fired just after giving "Kain and Lynch" a ****ty score/review(yes I know the deny the action, but we all know its true). The only real reason i read video game magazines anymore is for the wide variety of previews they offer. So if it gets an average or low score, I will more than likely laugh it off and go back to playing.

Smash Ace
I don't care if all 6 billion people give the game a 2/10. I'm still buying it and playing it.
=2007=

RiptheReaper

Smash Apprentice
Brawl will not get 10/10s from every publication. The press *rarely* acknowledges the depth of the Smash series (only Screwattack and Nintendo Power have) and generally considers it to be a party game.

It's a sad fact that we're a minority and most of the world doesn't think the way we do. There are so many things about the Smash series that uninformed reviewers will complain about, like online, friend codes, "dated gameplay"and others.

I just don't want you to get your hopes up and have them crushed because GI or EGM gives it an 8.7. It doesn't matter what they think of the game, because they don't know anything about it. What matters is what you think of the game, because you're the that will be playing it two, three, maybe five years from now. Not them.
im not sure but i think that GI gaved Melee a 9.25,if true,why would they give less than that?

G-X

Smash Apprentice
The only review anyone here would care about is "I put the disc in and it killed my Wii. Zero out of ten."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom