• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You guys need to brace yourselves, because...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Brawl will not get 10/10s from every publication. The press *rarely* acknowledges the depth of the Smash series (only Screwattack and Nintendo Power have) and generally considers it to be a party game.

It's a sad fact that we're a minority and most of the world doesn't think the way we do. There are so many things about the Smash series that uninformed reviewers will complain about, like online, friend codes, "dated gameplay"and others.

I just don't want you to get your hopes up and have them crushed because GI or EGM gives it an 8.7. It doesn't matter what they think of the game, because they don't know anything about it. What matters is what you think of the game, because you're the that will be playing it two, three, maybe five years from now. Not them.

thetoastinator

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it matters much to me... It can get a .1/10 for all I care; I am still getting Brawl

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
I don't really care what ratings Smash gets from other companies and whatnot. It's good enough for me and that's all that really matters.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It doesn't really matter to me. The game can get a -5/10 for all I care, but we know it's going to be that good.

Myst007_teh_newb

Smash Journeyman
People on these forums aren't going to stop buying the game if they find out that IGN or something gave it a 7/10. They'd complain, sure, but it's not that big of a deal for anyone,

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don't care what ratings it gets I am still getting it for myself.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I agree with you, Xanderous. I actually expect a score of 8.5 or possibly less from Gamespot, which despite the criticism, i still read as a source of reviews. In fact, i'm gonna say that sometimes GS is unfair in the score itself, but when you read the reviews they're somewhat fair and objective.

:034:

Smash Hero
It doesn't really matter.. Honestly. Everybody has different opinions, don't pay attention to it.

SinHarvester

Smash Rookie
Brawl will not get 10/10s from every publication. The press *rarely* acknowledges the depth of the Smash series (only Screwattack and Nintendo Power have) and generally considers it to be a party game.

It's a sad fact that we're a minority and most of the world doesn't think the way we do. There are so many things about the Smash series that uninformed reviewers will complain about, like online, friend codes, "dated gameplay"and others.

I just don't want you to get your hopes up and have them crushed because GI or EGM gives it an 8.7. It doesn't matter what they think of the game, because they don't know anything about it. What matters is what you think of the game, because you're the that will be playing it two, three, maybe five years from now. Not them.

Screw reviews.

Thi0s

Smash Apprentice
If Brawl gets below a 9 in any review, it will be almost certain that these boards will flame that site to death. Brawl is perfect enough for me

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Fanboys don't seem to understand that reviews aren't for them, but for people who know little about the game. There's a lot we like about games that other people don't, fact of life. Reviews exist to highlight a game's good and bad, and many fanboys tend to overlook the bad spots.

For example: If I were to say, "The online support for Smash is pretty piss poor," It'd be a short time indeed before thousands of retaliatory "Atleastithasonline!!!!11!!" posts. The fact of the matter is that people don't buy a game because at least it has online. People buy games that impress them in some way, shape, or form.

imabeast78

Smash Apprentice
Should we really let what some gaming magazines say affect how we feel about this game. Obviously because we are all on this forums we are excited for this game. Everyone has their own opinions though. So by all means if there is anyone on here that believes if EMG and whatever other magazines out there give Brawl a bad rating then it must sucks then fine that's their own choice. If they don't want to buy it because of this that's fine. This saves a copy of the game for someone who wants to try it theirselves before they let press tell them whether the game is worth it or not. It's the same with everything that can be rated. You might think something is great but someone else thinks it's terrible. Books, movies, games whatever it may be. I'm sure I own a few games that have terrible ratings but I bought them and had fun with them and that's all that mattered to me. It's impossible for one game to satify everyone on the face of the earth so I fully expect the ratings to vary greatly. Also I know how much work Sakurai and his team have put in to this game. If this is the final instalment that he gets to work on I'm sure he will want to go out with a bang. The endless gameplay value of this entire series is great but the fact that in this new game there are so many things to do and some we may not even know about yet is so exciting. Ever since I picked up Smash Bros 64 I automatically fell in love with the series.

JTH

Smash Cadet
Like many others said, I wouldn't care if the game received a 1/10, im getting the game no matter what..
- Brawl wont get a rating such as that tho.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I do care, not because the press's opinion matters but that their opinio n affects how others think about the game and if they were to give it some gay score, then that would be the tlk of all the noobs, and uninformed noobs can get annoying after a while. I know this because it's the same thing with pokemon. But I'm not really worried about Smash's rating nor do I care enough to have a problem if it doesn't get a perfect score. I just think people should recongnize this truly as the game to beat all games, and if the people from IGN or EGM don't then I will be a bit dissapointed.

Jash Thor

Smash Cadet
Melee scored very well from what I remember. I know on IGN it got above a 9...like a 9.5 or something. Just because the past games haven't been acknowledged as "deep" and are regarded as party games doesn't mean Brawl can't break through that reputation. A 40/40 from Famitsu is nothing to scoff it, even if it's being judged by reviewers with a different set of opinions then most American reviewers. I'm not expecting 10's across the board, and the score won't deter me from buying the game, but I think you'll be surprised at just how well the game ranks.

LotusMyuushin

Smash Apprentice
IGN gives high scores because the reviewers only review games of their division, giving them some sort of a fanboy advantage over the point. Matt Cassasomething loved SSBM, so he'll praise SSBB highly

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Melee scored very well from what I remember. I know on IGN it got above a 9...like a 9.5 or something. Just because the past games haven't been acknowledged as "deep" and are regarded as party games doesn't mean Brawl can't break through that reputation. A 40/40 from Famitsu is nothing to scoff it, even if it's being judged by reviewers with a different set of opinions then most American reviewers. I'm not expecting 10's across the board, and the score won't deter me from buying the game, but I think you'll be surprised at just how well the game ranks.
I think IGN did rate it pretty well, but Gamespot, for instance, rated it an 8.7, I think. Why? I'm not exactly sure. They guy sounds incredibly positive during the rating (albeit sounding like a bore), but hey, whatever. Brawl's still gonna own 2008.

EDIT: 8.9.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/516492/2829111/super-smash-bros-melee-video-review

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
IGN hates games, Gamespot seems to hate anything Nintendo, Famistew...

I dunno about Famistew. :laugh: Seems more like blant advertising, but that is usually what reviews come down to.

I've stopped caring about what reviewers said long ago, and begun to play games that I like period. I don't care if a game has eleven out of ten on the rating scale, if I don't care for a game, I just. Don't. Care.

...besides the fact Brawl is going to ****ing rock. :D Forget reviews, love candy, duu want.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
The only Nintendo game reviews I trust in the least are from Matt Cassimassina, Mark Bozon, and Craig Harris from IGN. And even then, I often think that they are a little too hard on games sometimes.

The way I see it, if somebody takes the the time to really sit down with Brawl, start unlocking things like trophies and characters, tries out the stage creator, and at least TRIES everything this game has to offer, I wouldn't worry myself over scores. I believe most of them are crap anyway.

We know Brawl will be epic, we don't need others to confirm that.

KJC2004

Smash Apprentice
Should we really let what some gaming magazines say affect how we feel about this game. Obviously because we are all on this forums we are excited for this game. Everyone has their own opinions though. So by all means if there is anyone on here that believes if EMG and whatever other magazines out there give Brawl a bad rating then it must sucks then fine that's their own choice. If they don't want to buy it because of this that's fine. This saves a copy of the game for someone who wants to try it theirselves before they let press tell them whether the game is worth it or not. It's the same with everything that can be rated. You might think something is great but someone else thinks it's terrible. Books, movies, games whatever it may be. I'm sure I own a few games that have terrible ratings but I bought them and had fun with them and that's all that mattered to me. It's impossible for one game to satify everyone on the face of the earth so I fully expect the ratings to vary greatly. Also I know how much work Sakurai and his team have put in to this game. If this is the final instalment that he gets to work on I'm sure he will want to go out with a bang. The endless gameplay value of this entire series is great but the fact that in this new game there are so many things to do and some we may not even know about yet is so exciting. Ever since I picked up Smash Bros 64 I automatically fell in love with the series.
i agree with the sized up text

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
I think with just how many features, characters, and development that went into the game, most reviews are probably gonna be in the 8.5-9.5 range. Any review below 8.5 is obviously biased because I have heard of very few games that will offer as many features as Smash will.

Igneous42

Smash Ace

IGN gave melee a 9.6. I will be fine if it doesn't get straight 10's but it better at least get 9's or higher. Except from Gamspot who's onions i stopped caring about when they proved to be biased, and let their advertisers influence their reviews.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
IGN gave melee a 9.6. I will be fine if it doesn't get straight 10's but it better at least get 9's or higher. Except from Gamspot who's onions i stopped caring about when they proved to be biased, and let their advertisers influence their reviews.
This is what I'm talking about. You guys say now that you don't care what a reviewer says, but I predict complaint threads appearing en masse.

bayonettrials

Smash Cadet
Yup even TP got a 8 from gamespot and it was an awesome game..
TP was a grindfest of dungeon after tedious dungeon for 50 long hours...

It definetely did'nt deserve above an 8.5...

I'm not going to trust any source that exclaims that Bioshock and Halo 3 should be runners up for GOTY when running against Orange Box, and Super Mario Galaxies.

We, as smash players, know what will make brawl great. We will decide whether or not Brawl suceeds.

kobefox2485

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alfredo24pr
who cares if it gets low rating. Ratings are for people who dont know what games they like and the rating makes people buy the game,which would attract new players, and i dont think nobody likes to play noobs.

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
A good solution is not to give a ****. I highly doubt anyone here is going to base their purchase on what the critics have to say.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
I just don't really understand...

A review has nothing to do with how "good" a game is. It has to do with how the game stacks up to currently held industry standards.

Reviewers do not say "Is this game fun?" They say "Is this game repetitive at all? Does the gameplay evolve? Is there replay value? Did the single player story drive the game well?"

They do not say "Are the graphics good?" They say "Are there low framerates? Are there jagged edges? Is the lighting up to snuff? Are there engine burps?"

They do not say "Is the multiplayer good?" They say "Are there several options for multiplayer? Can it appeal to all players? Is there online play? How reliable and filled out is the online service? What does this game bring to multiplayer that other games have not?"

They do not say "Is the game deep?" They say "Is it intuitive? Does it have the potential to remain a lasting title? Are the mechanics and physics complex enough to ensure low repetition, and a different gaming experience each time?"

And most of all, They do not ask "Is this game good?" They leave that up to you. What they do is evaluate the game's value, especially for your money. When games cost over 50 dollars a pop now, I certainly appreciate reviews. I'd hate to have dropped 50 bucks on, say, Stranglehold or Blue Dragon. Not that those aren't fun games, simply not worth 50 dollars. That's what game reviewers do.

There are defined standards by which these games are measured. It's not arbitrary.

They should not effect your image of the game at all, because that's not what they're evaluating. Enjoy the game. It's likely they will too. Most of all, it's silly to be upset over reviews that don't exist yet.

PK2

Smash Cadet
Incredibly true, and it's incredibly sad that some people see fit to dismiss this topic as useless.

So, OP, my hat goes off to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom