• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You guys need a matchup thread.

CO18

Smash Hero
Well Im interested in Link because gold link is sexy just like Purple D3 and im basically good with All d3's matchups now so I just wanted a 2ndary that was fun and isnt easy to use.

Anyway is there anything about matchups anywhere? I plan on repping link along with D3 in tourneys eventually because hes fun and I want to know if he has an advantage over anyone besides Ganon and CF :laugh:

Thanks for the help.

sasook

Smash Champion
Well Im interested in Link because gold link is sexy just like Purple D3 and im basically good with All d3's matchups now so I just wanted a 2ndary that was fun and I couldnt learn how to use in a day.

Anyway is there anything about matchups anywhere? I plan on repping link along with D3 in tourneys eventually because hes fun and I want to know if he has an advantage over anyone besides Ganon and CF :laugh:

Thanks for the help.
Okay, I know you're like, amazing and stuff, but seriously, good luck with that one xD. Link's got a big learning curve. HOWEVER, if you repped Link in tourneys, you will get insta-love from like...everyone here.

The MK matchup is in NintenJoe's sticky guide......the rest are just starting up in Ter's thread. You could read my guide, since you're new to Link, but you're not exactly a beginner to smash either, so take your pick if you want to read guides at all.

CO18

Smash Hero
Whoa thanks man. I dont know how I missed that lol. Yeah I know link is hard. I still suck with him after like 4 days which is unusual in brawl lol.

Thats sort of why I like him. :)

Edit: <.< Uh is that outdated.. Theres no way link has the adv over DDD -.- unless Im missing something lol

Also I meant couldn't in my post lol. I changed it so people could understand it easier.

sasook

Smash Champion
Just wanna let you know, some things in Bouse's thread are kind of outdated. It's fairly recognized that Link doesn't have a 6/4 advantage of D3 here anymore.

But Deva/Legan said some stuff about how to fight D3....I'll try and find them for you.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Whoa thanks man. I dont know how I missed that lol. Yeah I know link is hard. I still suck with him after like 4 days which is unusual in brawl lol.

Thats sort of why I like him. :)

Edit: <.< Uh is that outdated.. Theres no way link has the adv over DDD -.- unless Im missing something lol
You'll find Link to be alot of fun, I sometimes enjoy playing him more then Mario. That's probably because he takes alot of work to win with.

RBS, RJC, Zair spacing, bombs owning Waddle Dees, all of those things help Link stay away from D3's grabby hands. Link just has better spacing, idk if he wins the match up since D3 can **** him offstage.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Thing about Link is: if you're going to use him for tourneys as a secondary, be prepared to not use him at all. He's got no matchups that he excels at, he has plenty of matchups that go heavily against him, and you will need to work three times as hard as any other character to master him. So if you're looking for a backup to D3... you might look elsewhere.

However, everyone loves you for beating up on people with low tier characters, and you really stand out from the crowd. So you might consider him for that.

I'm not trying to tell you to "get off our boards" or "don't use Link" but I just want to point out how difficult it is to use him compared to any other character.

sasook

Smash Champion
Here's one of them:

DDD at the competetive level is one of if not Link's worst matchup. 1 grab can lead to an auto kill if the DDD plays the edge game correctly after the CG. you have to spam, and zair and run away the entire match. Not only that, but he can grab you even out of your zair if you dont time it right. Also, you have to play primarily on platforms, so if in a tournament make sure to ban FD. jump down to the ground for a moment to zair and get his attention to come towards you. Then jump right back on the platform and throw a bomb down and force him up to you so you can play him up there, or if at high %, the bomb should send him up towards you, so dair after throwing the bomb down if it hits. Getting grabbed on a platform is safe and the CG wont last very long. This is one of those matchups where 1 mistake can cost you a stock, and making that mistake is extrememly simple.
If no one posts after this, I'll edit this with more quotes, I know I've seen more, just don't remember where.

CO18

Smash Hero
Thing about Link is: if you're going to use him for tourneys as a secondary, be prepared to not use him at all. He's got no matchups that he excels at, he has plenty of matchups that go heavily against him, and you will need to work three times as hard as any other character to master him. So if you're looking for a backup to D3... you might look elsewhere.

However, everyone loves you for beating up on people with low tier characters, and you really stand out from the crowd. So you might consider him for that.

I'm not trying to tell you to "get off our boards" or "don't use Link" but I just want to point out how difficult it is to use him compared to any other character.
Yeah I know hes difficult. Its just im pretty confident in all of ddd's matchups now and I dont really have a problem with anyone in particular. So I just wanted someone I liked and could have fun with. I didnt expect for him to cover any of Dedede's bad matchups lol.
Plus if someone starts whining im only winning because Im dedede then Id pull him out XD

Edit: Thanks sazook, yeah I was really surprised by the 6:4 adv for link thing. It would seem like d3/mk would be his two worst matchups

sasook

Smash Champion
Here's the other essay:

@Legan, for a while I was thinkin it was too. But then I realized, it's not the worst, just the most gey and boring. Eggz started maining DDD, omg it's soooooo gey. just cg to gimp over and over and over. Only solution you have is to ban FD. As long as there's at least one platform you'll be ok. From there you only have 1 option really. It's like the suicide bomb tactic against Falco. . .except for the whole match xD. You can't space him with anything except zair due to the gey grab range that make's Marth look like he had baby hands in melee, and even then if you dont space it perfectly your screwed. Instead, just run away, throw bombs, try to stay above him on platforms and throw bombs down, BF is a great stage for this or even let them cp Green Greens so you can stay on the 2 platforms and do the same thing. Just dont let them get you down on the stage lol. Then randomly if you either mispace the zair or they powershield or whatever, just throw the bomb down at your feet. You're not even safe holding the bomb since randomely the slide annimation when he down throws you keeps the blast from the bomb from hitting him and he just runs up and grabs you again. Honestly if you play like this the whole match, he'll never really get an edge on you but it's boring as hell and you have to be really careful. Only semi fool proof recovery I've found is after the cg, double jump and pull a bomb. They'll usually bair you after the bomb pull. Just keep upb-ing towards him into the bairs until he stops bairing since there's no way you can make it back to the stage, and by then the bomb should explode at the last second and you should be able to recover. There's a few exeptions to this not working, but as long as you play campy run away gey throwing bombs down from above/ blowing yourself up, you shouldn't be in the situation much xD.
As for Link's worst matchups, you forgot Falco. Falco is built to destroy Link.

CO18

Smash Hero
Here's the other essay:

As for Link's worst matchups, you forgot Falco. Falco is built to destroy Link.
Oh true. I got 3 stocked by my friends falco with link the other day lol

Just one more question then ill leave since I dont see anymore reason for this thread XD

Is up+b out of shield viable at all with link? I havent really seen anyone use it but it seemed like some uses could possibly be found..

Im probably wrong though lol

sasook

Smash Champion
It can be useful at times, sure. Usually when the opponent is recovering from the ledge, if they roll or try to ledgehop, it could work. Or sometimes it flat just is does work in a good situation, if they're behind you or something. You'd best ask people like ArkiveZero, Legan, and Deva for stuff like this in terms of how well it works in a competitive environment.

Also, if you're not gonna discuss matchups anymore and just ask questions *points to the Q&A Sticky*

lol

CO18

Smash Hero
It can be useful at times, sure. Usually when the opponent is recovering from the ledge, if they roll or try to ledgehop, it could work. Or sometimes it flat just is does work in a good situation, if they're behind you or something. You'd best ask people like ArkiveZero, Legan, and Deva for stuff like this in terms of how well it works in a competitive environment.

Also, if you're not gonna discuss matchups anymore and just ask questions *points to the Q&A Sticky*

lol
Alright thx man. yeah ill just ask any questions in there from now on.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
yeah link is very fun and i know ur not a newby and all but prepare to lose alot with link lol

Top Bottom