• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You can't start breaking out of a grab until frame 7 of being grabbed

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Just thought I'd put that out there. It seems important

How'd I figure this out?

1. I had someone grab Wario
  2. I had him mash out every frame, he broke out on 20
  3. I did the same thing but didn't start mashing until frame 2, he broke out on frame 20
  4. I did the same thing until I got to frame 8. On Frame 8 he broke out later

Thus my conclusion,

You can't mash until frame 7. Some one please verify by doing the same test please

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Hm...maybe it has something to do with the 'catch' animation of the grab? (Since neither player can perform anything during this) maybe it's a universal 7 frames-til-you-can-pummel so it's a 7-frames-til-you-can-mash?

When is the soonest you can throw after a grab? [If this is 7 frames, it confirms my theory. :x This 7 frame window is to guarentee you have time to throw before they can mash out]

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
You can throw frame 1 I'm pretty sure

Also, wario was at 0%

This seems accurate to me, as I had always known that the initial frames of a grab restrict you to only throwing, so I took it as applying to the grab-ee as well. I just wasn't sure about this specifics. I'll try and test this sometime.

Luxor

Smash Champion
IIRC there IS a certain timeframe after grabbing before you can initiate a throw or pummel. Not 100% sure though., I think I heard it somewhere once and just kind of believed it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You can throw frame 1 I'm pretty sure

Also, wario was at 0%
This is definitely true, since there are times where buffering a throw completely skips the "catch" SFX and animation and goes straight into throwing.

Does anyone have any information on instantly breaking out of Olimar's grab?

Yikarur

Smash Master
I always thought you can mash buttons on the first frame of grab contact which is the reason you can mash out of grabs of Yoshis and Olimars Grab before you actually do anything D:

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
WEll, I'm pretty sure the game doesn't count you as being grabbed until you go into Yoshi's mouth or the pikmin brings you back to Olimar. If you were counted as being grabbed Yoshi or Olimar would be able to throw you before you reach them.

Or Yoshi would be able to throw you before you even got into his mouth

Yikarur

Smash Master
but there has to be a reason you can break out of the grab before you are even in his mouth.
I would test but my wii crashes when I do too much inputs to break out of a grab xD

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Thats interesting, do your inputs buffer in those first 7 frames?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yeah, and if anyone says that with really good mashing, you can escape their infinite, you can use this to back up why it's always a true infinite.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Actually you can break out at low percents

Yikarur

Smash Master
you can break out of Yoshis Infinite on Wario, but I don't know on which frame that happends. I can't test is on frame advance because my wii crashed every time I tried xD

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
you can break out of Yoshis Infinite on Wario, but I don't know on which frame that happends. I can't test is on frame advance because my wii crashed every time I tried xD
LOL, and now we know that if you break out of yoshis grab on a certain frame that the game crashes. I find it hilarious that what we thought was a frame advance glitch is a game glitch

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yeah at that time I thought it was a frame advance glitch but I tried it not late afterwards in training mode on 1/4 and it's really easy to reproduce there, but I didn't think It was important enough to note D: xD

Top Bottom