• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You can choose one game franchise to get a platform fighter series, which would it be?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Great post, but it still ends up being Smash Bros. with the Wario and Donkey Kong characters added. They all (once) shared a world, but Mario, Wario and Donkey Kong are all the leads of their own series now. I think replacing Wario and Donkey Kong characters would be smart, although keeping in Wario and Donkey or Cranky would make sense.
That's actually one of the things that bugs me about the Mario franchise is that despite having a shared universe, it feels like there is almost no crossover allowed, especially outside of the spinoffs. Not saying I want Mario to run into the Kremlings or Wario's Friends in Diamond City in every single game, cut it would be nice if Wario and DK were more regular characters outside of the spinoffs... and you know what, I wouldn't mind seeing the extended Wario and DK casts showing up at least once in a while.

GrimmTale

Smash Rookie
Damn. Lotta people picking franchises that are already in Smash. To each their own I suppose, they do have their reasons.

No one gonna say Dragon Ball though? I'm definitely going to say Dragon Ball lol.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think mainstays in the Mario spin-offs could stay, meaning Diddy could be in, but no Link/Inkling/Isabelle/Dixie.
On that note I've reworked mine to exclude Wario and Donkey Kong exclusive characters:

Mario Bros. Smash 64
Mario Smash Bros 64.png

The BIG 8, plus Jr who is very important, Kamek who is pretty much Yoshi's rival and an often forgotten big leader of the Koopa Troop, the most memorable Mario RPG character to date and a forgotten relic in Wart.

Mario Bros. Smash Melee
Mario Smash Melee Roster v2.png

Adding vital staples like Daisy, Waluigi, Toadette, Diddy, Rosalina, Birdo and Nabbit as well as some more RPG rep in Mallow and Geno for SMRPG, Goombella and Vivian for the Thousand Year Door(which is the best RPG to date, fight me), the first boss in Mario 64 and another forgotten Mario character in Tatanga similar to Wart.

Mario Bros. Smash Brawl
Mario Smash Bros Brawl v2.png

Decided to do a pair up thing for this version; Nabbit, someone who likes stealing treasures teams up with Captain Toad, another Treasure Tracker. King Boo and Petey become partners in crime once again with the moon and sun theme going. Pom Pom and Boom Boom, canonical partners team up too. Pauline teams up with Mario's Odyssey partner since it's her big come back, Ludwig teams up with the leader of the Broodals and a pair of wise old men finish the roster.

Mario Bros. Smash For
Mario Smash Bros For v2.png

Unbelivably I still hadn't added the two most iconic minions, so Koopa Troopa and Goomba join the fray. Draggadon and Wingo, Captain Toad's nemsis join the fray too. A pair of phony Peach's make it in too. Honey Queen due to that one Mario Kart appearance that was weirdly memorable and Wendy, Morton and Iggy hang with their Broodal counterparts. Larry, Lemmy and Roy join to complete the Koopalings, Plessie and Boshi join as a couple of additional rivals to Yoshi. Polterpup joins giving Luigi more allies. Felt Sunshine needed another character so in came Il Piantissimo. Felt Paper Mario could do with a little more so here's some villains!

Mario Bros. Smash Ultimate
Mario Smash Ultimate Roster.png

Added a few more Mario and Luigi characters, the Glitz Pit has always been my favourite level in any Mario RPG so Rawk Hawk was a must have, Whomps(and indeed Thwomps) don't get much attention so I added the King. Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are staples, and whilst I can't say I enjoy the babies being in every Mario Kart the baby bros. probably deserve a spot by this point alongside Dry Bowser who is also very popular. Shy Guy and Lakitu give us a few more iconic minions, Wanda is another forgotten Mario character I'd love to bring back, Luma is pretty important by their own right and lastly the most important character of a good bitey boy in Fighter #70.

There's actually still a fair few Mario characters I want to add too, but 70 is the limit Ultimate currently has so I figured it best I stuck to that.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Damn. Lotta people picking franchises that are already in Smash. To each their own I suppose, they do have their reasons.

No one gonna say Dragon Ball though? I'm definitely going to say Dragon Ball lol.
Most of the main Dragon Ball characters can fly.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
On that note I've reworked mine to exclude Wario and Donkey Kong exclusive characters:

Mario Bros. Smash 64
View attachment 180313

The BIG 8, plus Jr who is very important, Kamek who is pretty much Yoshi's rival and an often forgotten big leader of the Koopa Troop, the most memorable Mario RPG character to date and a forgotten relic in Wart.

Mario Bros. Smash Melee
View attachment 180314

Adding vital staples like Daisy, Waluigi, Toadette, Diddy, Rosalina, Birdo and Nabbit as well as some more RPG rep in Mallow and Geno for SMRPG, Goombella and Vivian for the Thousand Year Door(which is the best RPG to date, fight me), the first boss in Mario 64 and another forgotten Mario character in Tatanga similar to Wart.

Mario Bros. Smash Brawl
View attachment 180315

Decided to do a pair up thing for this version; Nabbit, someone who likes stealing treasures teams up with Captain Toad, another Treasure Tracker. King Boo and Petey become partners in crime once again with the moon and sun theme going. Pom Pom and Boom Boom, canonical partners team up too. Pauline teams up with Mario's Odyssey partner since it's her big come back, Ludwig teams up with the leader of the Broodals and a pair of wise old men finish the roster.

Mario Bros. Smash For
View attachment 180316

Unbelivably I still hadn't added the two most iconic minions, so Koopa Troopa and Goomba join the fray. Draggadon and Wingo, Captain Toad's nemsis join the fray too. A pair of phony Peach's make it in too. Honey Queen due to that one Mario Kart appearance that was weirdly memorable and Wendy, Morton and Iggy hang with their Broodal counterparts. Larry, Lemmy and Roy join to complete the Koopalings, Plessie and Boshi join as a couple of additional rivals to Yoshi. Polterpup joins giving Luigi more allies. Felt Sunshine needed another character so in came Il Piantissimo. Felt Paper Mario could do with a little more so here's some villains!

View attachment 180317

Added a few more Mario and Luigi characters, the Glitz Pit has always been my favourite level in any Mario RPG so Rawk Hawk was a must have, Whomps(and indeed Thwomps) don't get much attention so I added the King. Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are staples, and whilst I can't say I enjoy the babies being in every Mario Kart the baby bros. probably deserve a spot by this point alongside Dry Bowser who is also very popular. Shy Guy and Lakitu give us a few more iconic minions, Wanda is another forgotten Mario character I'd love to bring back, Luma is pretty important by their own right and lastly the most important character of a good bitey boy in Fighter #70.

There's actually still a fair few Mario characters I want to add too, but 70 is the limit Ultimate currently has so I figured it best I stuck to that.
These rosters actually look great. I don't think veterans returning are as special when nobody's cut though, but it would make sense given the times that nobody would be. Also, I just really want King Wart to show up, somehow. Be it in Smash, a spin-off, or even as a main antagonist for the next 3D Mario! Not that I think it'd happen, haha. I think a playable Paper Mario would also be good, and possibly Spike, or a Chargin' Chuck.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman

Mario Bros. Smash 64
View attachment 180313

Mario Bros. Smash Melee
View attachment 180314

Mario Bros. Smash Brawl
View attachment 180315

Mario Bros. Smash For
View attachment 180316

View attachment 180317

Why did you separate Rosalina from Luma?

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I'd go with Fire Emblem, not because I'd like it, but because I think it would make Sakurai happy. He'd really enjoy making what is basically Smash, but entirely with a series that he loves. He could include as much fan service and deep-cut lore as he wants.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Why did you separate Rosalina from Luma?
Honestly? I don't really like the current Rosalina moveset personally, and they've recently done similar in Mario Tennis Aces making Luma more of it's own thing seperate from Rosalina. Plus I'd be a hypocrite if I state I want Toad seperated from Peach and force Luma to remain with their princess/goddess/mother.

I also feel like someone who can create universes such as Rosalina has a bit more to offer as a fighter than directing a Luma around and Luma most likely has enough starbit wise to differ from Rosie. Probably would be some overlap on a few abilities though and their sizes would definitely make them feel very different to control.

Top Bottom