• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Ledge Trump

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
So I'm not sure if anyone else has this issue, but I can't reliably ledge trump with Yoshi by running off the ledge and doing a semi-circle to grab the ledge. It may be that I'm not fast enough, but it may also have to do with Yoshi just being that fast on the ground. Then I realized that with my R button mapped to jump, I could run off the stage, double jump in the opposite direction (since Yoshi changes direction if you input a direction while jumping), and Down B with his Hip Hop Drop to grab the ledge. It's pretty fast and odds are your opponent won't predict it. It can be a decent mind game if you expect your opponent to grab the ledge and you can even delay your ledge trump to possibly 2 frame recoveries without a solid hitbox.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
Why not just b-reverse downb?

Also, is there a reliable way for actual ledge trumping as Yoshi? I remember there being something involving our shield.

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
Why not just b-reverse downb?

Also, is there a reliable way for actual ledge trumping as Yoshi? I remember there being something involving our shield.
I only have the 3DS version and B Reversing is unreliable. Plus, failing would result in a self destruct. Double jumping is a lot easier.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
B Reversing is unreliable
That's not really a good mindset to have as a Yoshi player, lol.

It's not like it's a frame perfect process; just swivel your stick towards ledge when you initiate downb. Like yeah, you'll die if you do it wrong, but it's a pretty basic action so you shouldn't be getting it wrong anyways.

Just grind it for a while in training mode and you should get it down.

Last edited:

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
That's not really a good mindset to have as a Yoshi player, lol.

It's not like it's a frame perfect process; just swivel your stick towards ledge when you initiate downb. Like yeah, you'll die if you do it wrong, but it's a pretty basic action so you shouldn't be getting it wrong anyways.

Just grind it for a while in training mode and you should get it down.
Well... when I said B reversing is unreliable, I meant just for Down B... I B Reverse and Wavebounce a LOT with Yoshi's Egg Lay since it helps a lot with his tricky air mobility. Though it really won't hurt to practice B reversing Down B, it's something I still struggle to do consistently and isn't something I would attempt off stage unless I was using a character like Pikachu to edgeguard. :/
Edit: ...yeah it really isn't as hard as I made it out to be. B reversing is definitely faster, and it allows me to save my double jump in case they choose to ignore the ledge altogether and counter so I'm just going to practice it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Arms98

Smash Rookie
I too have that issue to with yoshi not being able to reliably ledge trump, b reverse down b is the way to go. if you use a gc controller you can just point the control stick down and slightly to the right/left to change directions. But after you get the ledge trump what do you do? Bair is way too slow. I've tried drop down reverse double jump nair but im not sure if that is 100% reliable either

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Because its faster this way and alot easier
If the video is any indication, the snap doesn't occur until the skid animation is finished. While I admit this might still be faster than run off Down B (since we have to go through part of the Down B animation, I believe), you're still committing yourself to the skid. This works fine is the opponent has to ledge snap. But otherwise, I think not having to commit is better and thus Down B should be used.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Skid animation is cancelable from the ledge. You only have to skid animation for a few frames and you can cancel it

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
Can we not do that anymore?
b moves can't slide off ledges at all anymore, upb included. remember that patch? we cried about it a lot (and it still stings tbh)

but anyways, i don't see why skid animation cancel would make any difference. yoshi is still onstage while skidding, so using a b move will still prevent him from going past ledge threshold.

like, look at that ledge trump video; yoshi first has to input away from stage in order to fall off ledge. in other words, the skid is only slowing yoshi down, and has nothing to do with the actual ledge mechanics. falling off ledge is something the player has to initiate, unless a windbox / jiggly dsmash (same thing?) forces you off.

im too lazy to test to make sure (haven't even touched smash in 2 months), but i also don't see any reason how that could possibly work with current sm4sh mechanics. i feel like if skidding on ledge granted special properties, it'd be more well known by now.

also pls don't give yika that sass. only 90's yoshi mains remember how delicious ETS > ledgegrab was

Last edited:

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
b moves can't slide off ledges at all anymore, upb included. remember that patch? we cried about it a lot (and it still stings tbh)

also pls don't give yika that sass. only 90's yoshi mains remember how delicious ETS > ledgegrab was
I never even knew that was a thing before I recently saw Sky do it when he took a game off ZeRo's Diddy. And I couldnt find notes on it being patched either.

Also I think I may just stick to B reversing Down B. Maybe later on I'll practice skidding to ledge trump. Hopefully I can take advantage of the speed it can be done at.

ImBlob

Smash Rookie
We have a ledge trump, it's just slower than normal due to our floatiness. You can fast fall it to speed it up a little bit, but that's obviously harder. Also, if bair won't kill off trump, buffer a reverse jump off ledge so you can eat a hit and spike them for it. #JustYo****hings

Pixel_

Smash Ace
lol that censor

anyway I'm going to try that out once I can, I don't think I've tried out ledge trumps with Yoshi often

EDIT: Yup, if you run off the ledge then move towards the ledge (meaning you don't fastfall; just go left to right and vice versa right away) then you can ledge trump perfectly fine. There's a small pause that isn't there with a usual fastfall ledge trump, but it works

Last edited:

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
I only have the 3DS version and B Reversing is unreliable. Plus, failing would result in a self destruct. Double jumping is a lot easier.
Sorry to be the negative one, but yoshi at a high level yoshi benefits so much from reversing a lot. Pick up a wii u for like 250

Is the Egg toss in ledge trump a thing? I have seen a lot references to it in this thread ,but no confirms? I have seen youtube videos of it, but no pro players do it on yoshi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Sorry to be the negative one, but yoshi at a high level yoshi benefits so much from reversing a lot. Pick up a wii u for like 250

Is the Egg toss in ledge trump a thing? I have seen a lot references to it in this thread ,but no confirms? I have seen youtube videos of it, but no pro players do it on yoshi.
Do you mean sliding with Egg Toss off the stage and onto the ledge? That's been patched out, unfortunately, so we can't do it.

Please do not double post. Use the multiquote (+ Quote) button or the edit function to add more to your post if you feel the need to say more.

Top Bottom