• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

yoshi's island = wolf's best stage counterpick

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
facts

fact 1: if youre wolf, your counterpick stage should (and will) be yoshi's island... simple, the ground's shape gives wolf a pretty good killer side+b... ill explain you step by step the technique... load yoshi's island, stand on the main platform and shield roll to the edge (when you can't roll any more because of the space)... now use side+b facing the stage, rather than flying as usual, wolf will slide across the ground, making him hit the sweetspot underneath the flying platform, pretty good for spacing and for delivering a surprise attack, i pretty much assume few people know about this

fact 2: recovery is way easier on this stage than in probably any other... just float towards the platform, even if yourw down, since the main platform has no limit downwards, you can upb from the wall (note that wolf's recovery might not have a pretty good diagonal, maybe horizontal recovery, but his vertical is beast, almost like fox's)... or just side+b as usual, you wont get stuck since the side surface of the stage is totally flat

fact 3: spiking is way too easy... spiking is the easy part for the ones with practice... the harder part is the recovery... since this stage is good for wolf's recovery, i would suggest you to spike as if you were being paid to

A_man13

Smash Master
Though I do somewhat agree, most dual platform stages have the side b deal. I do agree about recovery; many self destructs for my wolf tends to be on FD due to the liped edge. Too bad the only match that was played at smashvile today was with Wolf.

KingShade

Smash Rookie
personally i prefer smashville to yoshi's island but YS is my second favorite stage for all the reasons you said and more.

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
spike/meteor, 10-15% dmg, KILL MOVE? not too much hype?

It isn't his best move, but a good Wolf will have it mastered.

On topic, YI, Battlefield, Smashville, and even Halberd (if allowed, I think its counterpick only) are good stages because of the top platform that screams "hit me" and the ability to scar those stages.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
hmmm... im getting the feeling most of you guys didnt get well what i stated... try following the instruction on first part, youll see why its good...

its obvious that just because the fact that the illusion has some sort of glitch on this stage, it shouldnt be exploited, it should be more used as a mindgame though... still, its a lethal move on this stage and helps wolf's spacing... if youre on the edge, hes too near, you downsmash,m if hes a bit away you forward smash, and if he is even more away you side+b... and the fact that wolf has both projectile and reflector can make him camp and space well on the stage's corners/edges

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
i personally never use his sideB offensively. I agree with Kashakunaki that it isnt great by any means. Wolf's sideB should be limited to scar, recovery, or the occasional hit that the opponent wouldnt see coming(sonic's fsmash anyone?).

I do agree that Yoshi's Island is a great stage for a Wolf main, i own my cousin all the time in that stage with any of his characters. any stage that doesnt trap you upon recovery is great for Wolf, and as much as some people hate scarring a stage, it helps if the opponent is close enough to the ledge to punish recoveries. Scarring the stage is the ultimate way to get behind the opponent and give you the base of the stage with ur opponent now at the ledge.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I personally find that different stages work with different people, even though I can play well with wolf on yoshi's island with wolf, I play best on smashville. But I hear you can scar on this stage, where is the point that you can scar, since I can't seem to hit it.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
to scar any ledge that is scarrable, you grab the ledge, push back then immediately hit forward-B. The timing is strict and you need to have fast fingers.

Koorii

Smash Cadet
I'm a wolf main and i know this is a little off the topic...but i do better on Frigate orpheon...which really has nothing for wolf to exploit...either i prefer it (which is weird because i hate the stage) or the people i play with suck on it, or there is some wolf magic on that stage...

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
to scar any ledge that is scarrable, you grab the ledge, push back then immediately hit forward-B. The timing is strict and you need to have fast fingers.
But I want the full stage scar, I can do partial stage scar, I can do that anywhere I choose, I'm taking about going straight threw the stage and going the middle.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
that i dont know, i dont get on the boards much so i didnt even know that was possible. watch some vids for it and see if you can find it out, thats what im about to do.
I've noticed Wolf's game on Frigate Orpheon is decent. He can easily scar the ledges that can't be grabbed, but i personally do better with Sonic on that stage. Wolf's areal game is maddening, which may be the reason you handle him so well in the stage. When the stage flips, wolf has a big advantage against many characters (Lucario, Pit, and Metaknight are the only ones better here) and the fact that the space animals still fall faster means he has a better chance of getting ground control sooner.

Top Bottom