• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Island (Melee) should be legal.

Legal or no?

• Legal

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • BANNEDBANNEDBANNED!

Votes: 51 79.7%

• Total voters

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
OK, hear me out. I know its a walkoff, but why does the community hate walkoffs? Because you can stand at the side of the stage, spam projectiles and when the opponent gets close, just grab and back throw for a cheap kill. But the thing is, because of the ramp on Yoshi's Island, you can't grab the opponent when on the ramp. If anything, camping up there will actually advantage the player NOT camping. The stage also advantages a lot of low-tier characters. For instance, Little Mac is advantaged here due to a low amount of off-stage game needed. The stage's question blocks can set up for some very interesting combos, and they can also be a very tactical tool to use. The pit in the bottom allows for very cool tech, like doing a down smash which instantly cancels due to the floor being destroyed. Their is also new tech on ramps, were if you fastfall onto the ramps you'l slide kinda like a Melee wavedash. (Yes, I discovered this myself.)

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
The question blocks' "very interesting combos" are really the big killer, though - they're basically Luigi's Mansion ceilings that disappear much sooner (and reappear much sooner as well) and occupy the most prominent part of the stage. Unless Luigi's Mansion becomes legal, I doubt this ever will.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
No. Even if you don't think walkoffs are bad, the blast zones are ridiculously close to the stages making recoveries next to useless. The question blocks create caves of life, and if we're going to include stages with hard ceilings like that I'd rather see Gamer any day. Little Mac gets advantages on all walkoffs, by the way, but is such an extreme character that arguing stage legality (see: Duck Hunt) based on him is kind of moot.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
The question blocks' "very interesting combos" are really the big killer, though - they're basically Luigi's Mansion ceilings that disappear much sooner (and reappear much sooner as well) and occupy the most prominent part of the stage. Unless Luigi's Mansion becomes legal, I doubt this ever will.
The block combos aren't OP, as you can only do one hit off them. Its mainly using them as combo starters or finishers, you can't just bounce the opponent around on them, unlike Gamer and Luigi's Mansion (Though I do think Mansion should be legal.)

No. Even if you don't think walkoffs are bad, the blast zones are ridiculously close to the stages making recoveries next to useless. The question blocks create caves of life, and if we're going to include stages with hard ceilings like that I'd rather see Gamer any day. Little Mac gets advantages on all walkoffs, by the way, but is such an extreme character that arguing stage legality (see: Duck Hunt) based on him is kind of moot.
With the recoverys are useless thing, why is that bad? Its good to have a bit more variety in the stages. For the blocks, see my above reply. I just mean Little Mac as an example. For instance, one of the top-tier characters, Ness, is disavantaged on this stage due to his main killing options colliding with the ramps.

LightLV

Smash Ace
If it didn't have walkoff i'd be for it. People like to ban stages with variables because they can possibly promote unfavorable types of gameplay.

Funny thing is, Melee had Pokemon Stadium as a tournament stage and while it didn't have a walkoff, or hitbox-murdering it had all sorts of things a stage would immediately be banned for now. Ofc the current Pokemon Stadium stages are far more stupid than Melee's. But even someone as 1v1 competition-oriented as myself wouldn't mind some more interesting stage terrain to fight on.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
Stupid things are mostly allowed if they're temporary. Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege and the like have walkoffs and Pokemon Stadium has caves of life, but they're only around for short amounts of time. If, say, the fire stage of Pokemon Stadium had been the only way the stage could be, it'd likely be banned.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
If people want it legal I won't raise a fuss (that would be insanely hypocritical of me given that I'd love to play on Gamer) but it's far too cramped for my personal taste. The flip blocks don't stay intangible for nearly long enough when hit for it to be productive, and the blast lines are insanely close to the sides which reduces the "safe zone" of the stage to basically the small flat portion in the middle. Which has a pit covered by flip blocks in the middle and two rows of flip blocks overhead.

No wonder the stage feels small.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
By discussing more disliked stages like this before discussing the more 50-50 stages, you're basically killing your chance of getting this stage legal. People need time to ease into the idea of additional stages being legal, and nobody is going to just add Yoshi's Island to the current 9-stage list. We should at least discuss all the stages on the "suspect" list before jumping into the "banned" list.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
perma-walkoffs will never be legal until rod serling walks out of his grave

Blocksystem

Smash Rookie
OK, hear me out. I know its a walkoff, but why does the community hate walkoffs? Because you can stand at the side of the stage, spam projectiles and when the opponent gets close, just grab and back throw for a cheap kill. But the thing is, because of the ramp on Yoshi's Island, you can't grab the opponent when on the ramp. If anything, camping up there will actually advantage the player NOT camping. The stage also advantages a lot of low-tier characters. For instance, Little Mac is advantaged here due to a low amount of off-stage game needed. The stage's question blocks can set up for some very interesting combos, and they can also be a very tactical tool to use. The pit in the bottom allows for very cool tech, like doing a down smash which instantly cancels due to the floor being destroyed. Their is also new tech on ramps, were if you fastfall onto the ramps you'l slide kinda like a Melee wavedash. (Yes, I discovered this myself.)
You make interesting points, however there are some major flaws. Namely, one move with one character that kinda ruins walkoffs for everyone else....
Fox can carry characters offstage with his shine

I'm pretty sure we all know about how fox can combo his shine by wavedashing after each shine to catch their opponent in a chain-shine, correct?
The glaring issue with all walkoffs - which would include Y'I - is that Fox, the highest tier and thus arguably most widely used character, has a free kill method on these stages. Similar to Kirbycide, except even easier (assuming you have reasonable tech skill).

Tl;Dr Fox's shine ruins walkoff stages

EDIT:
Nvm I was thinking of SSBM, Fox can't get cheap shine combos in SSB4. MY BAD

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Might as well make Mushroomy Kingdom legal in Brawl/the 3DS version as well.

regularkid123

Smash Cadet
Lets say 20,000 dollars on the line 1 stock left on both sides opponent grabs you throws you "GAME" Would you not be pissed off? its banned for a reason and hopeuflly it will stay like that.

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
Well that's annoying, having it banned.

The walk off is a slope. =/
You can tech off it, it's not like the average walk off(for example Wii Fit Studios) where it is flat and be easily K.Oed.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Lets say 20,000 dollars on the line 1 stock left on both sides opponent grabs you throws you "GAME" Would you not be pissed off? its banned for a reason and hopeuflly it will stay like that.
You clearly haven't tryed that before. When you try to do that, do to the slope the character thrown will slide and you can tech on it. Also theres the back that you can't grab an opponent when they are lower on the slope than you, so back throws can't kill with the slope.

Campoq

Smash Rookie
NNID
Campoq
Its defiantly designed better than it's Melee counterpart but i still don't think its a viable stage. The blocks at the block still could pose a problem along with the block in the air that can't be passed through without hitting them

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Its defiantly designed better than it's Melee counterpart but i still don't think its a viable stage. The blocks at the block still could pose a problem along with the block in the air that can't be passed through without hitting them
Those blocks can be good combo starters for characters who can't combo start well like Jigglypuff and Ganondorf, but since they dissapear after hit they won't result in cheap up-tilt spam combos.

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
Those blocks can be good combo starters for characters who can't combo start well like Jigglypuff and Ganondorf, but since they dissapear after hit they won't result in cheap up-tilt spam combos.
What's to keep from someone from throwing a neutral at an opponent to bounce them into "cheap up-tilt spam combos"? What's to keep a character that is already good at starting combos from using the blocks to make more? A challenge? A challenge the same in another stage - one block is one more advantage for anyone that can use it first, and it has become pretty clear to those that the faster characters will have the first chance.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Have you ever played against a Ness player?

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
What's to keep from someone from throwing a neutral at an opponent to bounce them into "cheap up-tilt spam combos"? What's to keep a character that is already good at starting combos from using the blocks to make more? A challenge? A challenge the same in another stage - one block is one more advantage for anyone that can use it first, and it has become pretty clear to those that the faster characters will have the first chance.
They can't bounce them into the up-tilt spam because once the opponent hits the block it disapears. Nothing stops characters starting combos with them, but it helps level the playing field for combo starters.

Top Bottom