• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Best Stages

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
Been meaning to make a thread about this topic, and I'm open for suggestions and opinions on what stages Yoshi strives on the most. These are my personal favorite for him.

Yoshi's Story

It's his story for a reason. It's no wonder people are considering this a CP instead of a neutral. Some characters take full advantage of the small stage and its close blast zones, and Yoshi's one of them.

Firstly, D-smash kills very early here. One of Yoshi's probably is that despite being able to rack up a ton of damage, not a lot of combos can be finished with a kill move. The small blast zones help Yoshi get those kills sooner. Even if D-smash doesn't kill, it still puts the opponent at a very bad position.

Secondly, the platforms. Yoshi is hands-down the king of wavelanding. No other character has his level of control when it comes to that. He needs that mobility to catch up to better characters. The platforms are closer than on Battlefield and Dreamland, and it only benefits Yoshi in speeding up his wavelands. There's so many options for tricky movement, allowing you to weave around for an opening.

Thirdly, the ledge. Having a slight bend downward, it's great for egg stalling, and the best part? This stage is small enough that there is no place your eggs can't hit. Just be careful with Randall. He'll sneak up on you and mess with your inputs.

Battlefield

There's not much to say about this one. All the reasons I stated for Yoshi's Story can be related to this stage. In other words, this stage is so identical, it makes a great substitute for the former. If your opponent decides to strike Yoshi's Story, you can go to this stage instead. Now, some things you should note. The platforms are a little higher, so you'll have to change your timing on the wavelands a little. Also, the blast zones are larger, so you won't get kills that early, but at least there's no Randall to mess with your egg stalling.

Pokemon Stadium 2

This is without a doubt my favorite stage. It's very neutral and people rarely strike it. This is more of a personal choice when it comes to picking good Yoshi stages, but it has a lot of things that favor me. The 2 platforms allow some waveland mobility here and there, and the size of the stage aids me in hit and run tactics in the neutral game. Also, the middle area has no platform to interrupt extensive juggle combos. Lastly, it's a easier to egg stall here than on Battlefield because the stage lip isn't as jagged.

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

This one is a little questionable because I don't find it a good stage overall. There's only a couple of features that make me consider going here. The first is that the stage lip is bent down so low that it makes it the absolute best stage to egg stall in. It's very difficult to get under the arc of your egg toss compared to any other stage. The second is the blast zones. The low ceiling helps in vertical kills with U-air, a kill move I use very often. The far blast zones in the sides help with your recovery, and this stage has 2 Randall's if that's not enough. However, I don't like the platform here. The only help is get from it is when I stay underneath, but the fact that I constantly rely on wavelands forces me to go above it. Overall, this stage favors you in the ledge and punish game, but hinders your neutral.

That's all I have for now, but don't hesitate to share some of your personal best stages. I know certain match-ups will force you to reconsider some stages, but I am referring their benefits to Yoshi as overall. If I was fighting a spacie or fastfaller, I would be fine taking them to FD for a juggle fest. But still, share any stages you feel comfortable in with this character.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I'm a little conflicted about Warioware because I haven't practiced much in that stage, or maybe I just don't like the platform placement.
I love it for rising fair strings and ledge canceling nonsense

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
I love Warioware because of the upward combos and the low ceiling
I recently realized how absolutely amazing WarioWare is for Yoshi, so I'm with you. However, I still think its a bad counterpick against Falco. How good was the best Falco you've played on WW? A friend of mine played Porkchops and counterpicked WW against him, and even though he didn't get creamed by lasers as much, he did get dair shined a little bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfp1Px0ODB8

Kudrah

Smash Cadet
I recently realized how absolutely amazing WarioWare is for Yoshi, so I'm with you. However, I still think its a bad counterpick against Falco. How good was the best Falco you've played on WW? A friend of mine played Porkchops and counterpicked WW against him, and even though he didn't get creamed by lasers as much, he did get dair shined a little bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfp1Px0ODB8
That was painful to watch. I think this stage is only a good CP for Yoshi if it's against more floaty characters, especially those with ridiculous recovery options. The platforms can extend combos that you can't do without them, and U-air kills really early here.

Scatz

Smash Champion
WW is terrible for Yoshi going against Falco. Falco's combos are vertical.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
That was painful to watch. I think this stage is only a good CP for Yoshi if it's against more floaty characters, especially those with ridiculous recovery options. The platforms can extend combos that you can't do without them, and U-air kills really early here.
Are you going to tipped off? Porkchops is. Good luck. What about you, @ Scatz Scatz ?

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
I'll be there. I'm a part of the staff. Dunno if my Yoshi is up to my standards for this tournament, but we'll see what happens.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Yo, I only had to watch 20 seconds to tell you that he'd get opened up (no offence to him). Playing the spacies matchup, ether you space them out and camp, or you suffocate them with grabs and keep them in the air. Using your friend vs Porkchops as an example for why it's a bad counterpick against falco? Not convincing because the skillgap was wayyy too wide. I think warioware is a viable counterpick against everyone but marth and bowser. Falco specifically can't use laser pressure because the stage is too small. Yes he has Pillars, but he has pillars on every stage. don't sit under the platforms, there's nothing Yoshi can do under there. The reason Warioware is a fantastic Yoshi stage because of how easily you can control it. Where you want to be, essentially, is at the edge of one of the bottom platforms towards center stage. From here, you can cover almost anything the opponent can do from any angle. staying center stage is key to keeping away from combos and being able to set up monstrous combos yourself.

Top Bottom