• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YOSHI

kyletree

Smash Cadet
So I'm trying to make the switch over to yoshi as my main. @ Cobrevolution Cobrevolution mentioned to me last week how important horizontal combos are, but what's the best way to practice this on my own? I've gotten the DJC nair down pretty well, so do I just chain that until they're off the edge, then spike? or jab spike? Anyone who plays yoshi, how do you practice horizontal combos in training mode? Also, can you recommend any movement exercises that I can practice to get more comfortable with him? Thanks in advance!

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
horizontal comboing is important for light/floaty characters - like jpuff and kirby. not sure if jab-fair is legit, but ftilt -> fair is, as is dash attack -> fair, or reverse bair -> fair.

i think you're one of the only people to switch from pika to yoshi

kyletree

Smash Cadet
just tested it out, totally didn't realize the difference between jabbing and f-tilt! they look so similar, but f-tilt makes them fly higher vertically for sure.

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Watch yoshi combo videos and try to recreate them. Usually horizontal combos are done on characters like jigglypuff, Kirby, Mario bros., samus, and Ness. So any combo you see done on them would be good practice

The Star King

Smash Hero
horizontal comboing is important for light/floaty characters - like jpuff and kirby. not sure if jab-fair is legit, but ftilt -> fair is, as is dash attack -> fair, or reverse bair -> fair.

i think you're one of the only people to switch from pika to yoshi
jab fair is legit sometimes but not that often, you need some specific %s I think. I use it sometimes on like Mario or something, if I like, dash attack so that I'm standing on the very edge, and opponent is kind of inside me so that he's not far enough for run off fair, and ftilt feels kind of awkward or too slow and I'll probably run off fair on accident if I try to ftilt anyway, since I'm right at the edge. Yeah.

I kind of switched Pika to Yoshi

Watch yoshi combo videos and try to recreate them. Usually horizontal combos are done on characters like jigglypuff, Kirby, Mario bros., samus, and Ness. So any combo you see done on them would be good practice
I don't think they're too common vs Ness because he's not as floaty (he's more like Pikachu), though it kind of depends on what you mean. You can still do shorter stuff like fair nair fair or dash attack ftilt fair and stuff, I just mean like, you usually don't see a combination of several bair/nair/ftilt/dash attack on him like you might vs the others, those horizontal moves only happen once or twice in my experience.

Anyway I wouldn't know too much about what to practice because I think I mostly learned this stuff from playing against humans. I might be wrong about some this actually since I have a hard time imagining Smash stuff sometimes compared to actually playing it. But if you want something that works at 0% you could try DJC bair -> DJC nair -> dash attack -> ftilt -> full hop fair on Jigglypuff. All 5 hits connect I just checked. That's one I guess. A lot of this stuff vs the other chars often starts more at like 20% up.

I think combo stuff is hard to answer at times because this game is quite situation-specific and reality is more complicated than the answer people expect. I think it might be better to learn what moves generally chains together instead of memorizing training mode zero to deaths. You can then kind of put together a freestyle combo, that works, in most situations, if you know these things.

Last edited:

kyletree

Smash Cadet
@ The Star King The Star King I'll definitely have to give that a shot! Have you guys ever tried to memorize the fastest BPM that you can do certain moves at? Maybe its just cause I'm a drummer, but it helps me to practice certain moves with a metronome for a while. For instance, yoshis up tilt is at 130 bpm.

kyletree

Smash Cadet
definitely! I get back home on the 4th so I'll hit you up around then

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I was planning on making some vids of me horizontal combo training.

I'll try to do it tonight.

Don't listen to SK you can horizontal combo Ness fine. He has those bad uptilt habits so he probably hasn't put any real effort in figuring Ness combos out.

Pwn.

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Alright so I just did a quick vid with real time Yoshi horizontal combos. No editing at all. Just to show you guys some examples of how to link moves together vs light chars.

Recording software caused some lag spikes which messed me up a bit but no biggie.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I was planning on making some vids of me horizontal combo training.

I'll try to do it tonight.

Don't listen to SK you can horizontal combo Ness fine. He has those bad uptilt habits so he probably hasn't put any real effort in figuring Ness combos out.

Pwn.
It's more like I can pwn Ness with Utilt combos using the DL side platforms, so I have figured some Ness combos out and don't feel the need to make things more difficult for myself for no reason.

But no, I'm sure you dropping combos left and right vs Ness and Pikachu in the video makes you superior somehow :)

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Match examples of why this type of training and these horizontal combos pay off:

I taught Wizzy all my combos:

Last edited:

kyletree

Smash Cadet
@ S SheerMadness thanks for recording that, I'm gonna start practicing this stuff today. My biggest question: when you're doing those DJC nair chains, are you pressing C C A individually, or pressing C then sliding CA? I've found that if I slide, I'm not able to get yoshi to move horizontally in the air, he just stays where he is. With the individual method, I can get him to move across the stage, but it not as fast or consistent as the slide. How are you doing it in the mario video above?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
No I don't slide. I just hit the same c button twice. I never slide for DJCs.

DJC speed is not a big issue with Yoshi. Forward momentum with nair is extremely important. If you do it too fast you won't be able to move forward with nair.

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I knew he was going to roll so I just jumped above him. That put me in a position to react to whichever way he rolled. If he rolled the other way I would have gone forward with a DJC nair or fair.

That's essentially how I tech chase with Yoshi. If you put yourself above them Yoshi's horizontal air mobility is good enough to cover all options (left, right, and below). Yoshi is a monster at tech chasing.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Alright. I thought you might have been reacting all the time, but I'm sure I wouldn't be able to react that fast. Anyway this thread belongs to character discussion.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
i would probably never practice ever if i had to hit menu reset

im in the process of collecting various yoshi clips of combos, etc
i have this already. pm if ur interested

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Send to me please. You've got some of those mixed up I think. I went Ness in my only recorded match vs Dangerfield so that has to be Wizzy.

Top Bottom