• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi vs. Young Link

D

Deleted member

YL cant bomb recover (if u mean bomb jump.) Winnar said a while ago that u could dair him.
Ummm if he is going for a hookshot sweetspot, instant edgehog. Ull be hit by the grapple, but he will fall to his death. IF he is going above with his up b, i like to egg-> fair.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: If either Link grapples and you're on the edge, they will not fall.

They'll retract their hookshots and perform a flip as if they had used the hookshot on the stage and it had not sweetspotted. As you can imagine, it makes them quite vulnerable, but they certainly don't sink once you've taken their sweetspot.

D

Deleted member

Really? Oh, ermm ok... this is akward... lol. I guess i havent played my friends YL in a while, but i thought...oh nvm, what do i know. Btw, wuts a hypershield.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: That's a good question, I've never heard of that before. o_o;

Is it in Brawl? It sounds like an amazing technique. O_o

Also, I think what you were referring to when a Link falls after using the hookshot is this:

When a Link uses his hookshot, there is a chance that it will have grabbed the edge (note: this is talking specifically about the edge of a stage, not just the sides), but will have grabbed the edge "too high." Link will swing down as he usually does after grasping the stage with his hookshot. However, as he reaches approximately a 35-45 degree angle (from the stage), the hookshot will "give way" and he will begin to tumble from whatever his position was when the hookshot released itself. One could say this happens because the hookshot isn't fully attached to the stage and, just as in everyday physics, if it were not sufficiently attached to the surface for which it was intended, the pull of Link's weight could, indeed, make it give way. You can actually check this if you pause the game and look at where the hookshot is located--you'll be able to tell almost immediately if it is "too high." This happens many times on Final Destination, but I have noticed a phenomenal amount of occurances on Pkmn Stadium for some odd reason. One reason you may think this happens because of an edgehog is that the edgehogging character may obscure clear view of the edge of the stage, perhaps making the hookshot go too high. Of course, this last bit is just an educated guess--one can never be too sure about these things.

But yeah, I think that's what you were seeing.

Chip.

you know what to do
That's a good question, I've never heard of that before. o_o;

Is it in Brawl? It sounds like an amazing technique. O_o

Also, I think what you were referring to when a Link falls after using the hookshot is this:

When a Link uses his hookshot, there is a chance that it will have grabbed the edge (note: this is talking specifically about the edge of a stage, not just the sides), but will have grabbed the edge "too high." Link will swing down as he usually does after grasping the stage with his hookshot. However, as he reaches approximately a 35-45 degree angle (from the stage), the hookshot will "give way" and he will begin to tumble from whatever his position was when the hookshot released itself. One could say this happens because the hookshot isn't fully attached to the stage and, just as in everyday physics, if it were not sufficiently attached to the surface for which it was intended, the pull of Link's weight could, indeed, make it give way. You can actually check this if you pause the game and look at where the hookshot is located--you'll be able to tell almost immediately if it is "too high." This happens many times on Final Destination, but I have noticed a phenomenal amount of occurances on Pkmn Stadium for some odd reason. One reason you may think this happens because of an edgehog is that the edgehogging character may obscure clear view of the edge of the stage, perhaps making the hookshot go too high. Of course, this last bit is just an educated guess--one can never be too sure about these things.

But yeah, I think that's what you were seeing.
That is correct.

Of course good young Link players usually always get the sweetspot with hookshot situations =p

I have not had the sweetspot tip hit above the ledge and then fall 'down' and die since who knows when.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Btw, wuts a hypershield.
Hypershielding is the act of pessing the sheild button at the perfect frame to avoid damage and escape faster. This lets you jump out of the egg sheild too. Also, you cannot get grabbed during this frame. For an example or two, check out this quick fumi vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGd_MPsAsvc
and this one too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79zqXLBfRxk
Note 0:24.
Anyway, although I am not playing competitve Melee anymore, I appreciate the help. Keep it going.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Oohhhhhh, he meant supershielding.

I thought hypershielding was some super broken technique he'd heard about somewhere else, haha. I was about to say HOOK ME UP WITH THAT MESS LOL.

P.S. - Fumi knows way too much about Yoshi's shield (or egg-related things in general).

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Wait.

Wait wait wait wait.

Eternal Yoshi.

Where is Far Rockaway?

Keyo

Smash Apprentice
I think this match up can go both ways, depends how you play ya know?

Jash

Smash Lord
The search function seems to have mafunctioned for me. Anyway, I was prepared to combat Fox, Falco, Falcon, & Samus. However, I did not expect to see a Young link user. He managed to defeat me in a tourney. Any advice on how to combat a YL who mastered the use of his projectiles and combos?
Sowwie Eternal Yoshi :(

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Oh wow. I just noticed that. Totally co-incidental, haha.

I was just asking because I was there in March and didn't see any Yoshis, but saw your location and had to ask just in case I wasn't paying attention.

ANYWAY ON TOPIC UMMMMMMMMMMM

I like taking Young Link to Final Destination. The curve of the stage makes it harder for him to get a consistent grapple and there are no platforms to abuse. It also makes fire spikes difficult to pull off without platforms aiding them, I find. If I MUST go to a platform stage, I'll try Fountain of Dreams just because nobody else likes to go there, hahaha.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
If I MUST go to a platform stage, I'll try Fountain of Dreams just because nobody else likes to go there, hahaha.
That's true for some reason. I've not met a person who likes that stage. I like it though, especially when the platforms are mid height and I can just u-smash camp underneath, or chase every tech option at once.

Top Bottom