• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi vs. Young Link

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The search function seems to have mafunctioned for me. Anyway, I was prepared to combat Fox, Falco, Falcon, & Samus. However, I did not expect to see a Young link user. He managed to defeat me in a tourney. Any advice on how to combat a YL who mastered the use of his projectiles and combos?

D

Deleted member

They are kida hard (mostly becuz u nevr see them), but one of my friends mains YL. Lightshielding their bombs is nice, cuz it stops their inevitable combo. DJCC through some of their attack and combo them before they can get u. He's floaty, so its sometimes ahrd to combo him, but he also dies at low %s. Eggz are good, becuz they can out range his projectiles (very helpful on FD). He also has much shorter range than his older counter part, so take advantage of it (his range is pretty good though.) U can also CC to dtilt/dsmash his attacks. Overall, he is, for me at least, and easy matchup, but make sure u dont get hit by projectiles often, becuz they lead to devastating combos. Also, once hes off the edge, make sure u finish him becuz he can use his annoying chain recovery to survive. I like fairing him.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
A major flaw in YL's game that you can take to your advantage is the lack of massive killing blows. Not to mention, most of YL's killing blows are horizontal, giving you an advantage. Dsmash, Fsmash 2nd hit, dair and dtilt are his best bets at killing you.

Most combo attacks will involve either utilt or bair. Pretty weak hits, just make sure not to get caught off guard after your DJ or during a DJC. If you're going against these attacks, nair is your best bet.

Fair is a great setup for air combos if you're going up close. Dodge the grab/dsmash/whatever, then go for air combos.

During air combos (I would assume this goes for everyone) if you're risking getting hit when going for the extra last hit, just throw an egg. Either they will go through it or they will get hit. Either way, you're safe. YL and Link's dair can be outranged by Yoshi's Uair if aimed correctly (basically, being right on the side of the sword, VERY risky).

A few basic ideas. Anything else you can think to ask, I'll try to answer. =D

D

Deleted member

A major flaw in YL's game that you can take to your advantage is the lack of massive killing blows. Most of the time he will attempt gimps at higher %s, so stay defensive at higher %s. Dtilt to throw him off guard whenever you can, which can lead to combos if you play your cards right. He can nair your eggs from the air if he aims right, so don't expect them to help you much. Eggs are a bad idea vs his projectiles, since he can control them like items (the bombs).

I will continue this later. Sorry, errands and such n_n;
I like egging him on larger stages, cuz his projectiles lack the range your eggz do (if they try to arrow u, punish them!) On smaller stages, eggz might be a bad choice. Watch out for his dair, if it connects at high %s, ull go far (one of his best killing moves). His nair and uair r pretty good too. As stated by the Egg sniper, he does lack killing moves (dair is IMO his only reliable one, but its slow. Use your head! In two ways. 1. Out smart him and 2. F smash is fairy useful in this matchup (get it, i made a funny :chuckle:, but not really....) :yoshi:

Winnar

Smash Lord
Can't say I've ever fought a Y. Link before.

The only thing I can tell you that might be helpful is that when I played a level 9 Y. Link just now, the d-air ***** him. The knockback was ridiculous on him, and even with level 9 perfect timing, he couldn't up-B back t the stage. Of course it would be harder to do on a human who can use the hookshot to recover with along with less predictability, but it was just an observation I made.

D

Deleted member

Can't say I've ever fought a Y. Link before.

The only thing I can tell you that might be helpful is that when I played a level 9 Y. Link just now, the d-air ***** him. The knockback was ridiculous on him, and even with level 9 perfect timing, he couldn't up-B back t the stage. Of course it would be harder to do on a human who can use the hookshot to recover with along with less predictability, but it was just an observation I made.
Eh, do u mean as a meteor or as a damage racker (not off the ledge). If u mean off the ledge then yes, it does work pretty well if u connect (though ive nevr been a fan of dair meteors w/ yoshi, im bad w/ timing and usually die). When u aint meteoring it, VERY BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!! YL's Uair will outprioritize this move and then...YOU DIE, but not really, cuz YL SUX! HAHAHAAHAHAHA... But seriously, read the previous posts and most of this post and ull do fine. Not that u see many YLs these days, but u know... :yoshi:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It's a good thing Young Link players don't jab and tilt as much as they should, or else this match...

...would be considerably harder.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Any tips should be welcome here. Especially for me....I am looking to play Chudat whenever I can, since he does live around here >.>;

And I will agree. YL's tilts are more powerful than people give them credit X_X

Winnar

Smash Lord
I'm talking about as an edgeguarded meteor. The d-air isn't very hard to pull off, just don't fast fall it until after the first couple of hits.

Anyway, like I said, the knockback is ridiculous. It usually only connects one or two times, but each time is like a f-air's knockback at low %'s. At higher %'s if you can get Y. Link close to the edge and land a d-air, sometimes it will knock him up high enough that you'll actually spike him off the ledge, it's pretty fast and unpredictable so I doubt anyone would react to it the first time. One more time though, I HAVE NEVER PLAYED A HUMAN Y. LINK, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Just a thought.

D

Deleted member

I'm talking about as an edgeguarded meteor. The d-air isn't very hard to pull off, just don't fast fall it until after the first couple of hits.

Anyway, like I said, the knockback is ridiculous. It usually only connects one or two times, but each time is like a f-air's knockback at low %'s. At higher %'s if you can get Y. Link close to the edge and land a d-air, sometimes it will knock him up high enough that you'll actually spike him off the ledge, it's pretty fast and unpredictable so I doubt anyone would react to it the first time. One more time though, I HAVE NEVER PLAYED A HUMAN Y. LINK, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Just a thought.
Eh i know, its not that its hard to do rly, i just get scared im gonna kill myself :p i do it sometimez, just not often cuz i chicken out :yoshi: and i do like salt :p

Anyways, i prefer to horizontal kill YL, cuz his dair killz. His f smashes arent much of a threat (u hafta be at like 300 for them to kill u i think). Sometimes, to end a combo while u are at high %, they will use his up b and only try to hit u with last part (not sure if all YLs do this).This killz, so DI away. Also, look out for Shffled uairs and nairs. SHffled uairs are pretty annoying, cuz they catch u by suprise. And REMEMBER. Dont take this fight like u would adult link. This is a whole nother beast (a beast, with less range, less damage in general, and less weight. And less potential over all, but its still a beast never the less.) This beast, lacks the power or range of its older self, but gains speed and annoyingly long combos in the process. Good luck! Your friendly neighborhood Yoshi: Burntsocks :yoshi:

Chip.

you know what to do
:yoshi: It's a good thing Young Link players don't jab and tilt as much as they should, or else this match...

...would be considerably harder.

I jab all the time >_>

like spacing fairs and jabs against Yoshi and his shield or f-tilting for mild kills

Anyways, i prefer to horizontal kill YL, cuz his dair killz. His f smashes arent much of a threat (u hafta be at like 300 for them to kill u i think). Sometimes, to end a combo while u are at high %, they will use his up b and only try to hit u with last part (not sure if all YLs do this).
young Links don't really use the F-smash to kill that much :p

This killz, so DI away. Also, look out for Shffled uairs and nairs. SHffled uairs are pretty annoying, cuz they catch u by suprise. And REMEMBER. Dont take this fight like u would adult link. This is a whole nother beast (a beast, with less range, less damage in general, and less weight. And less potential over all, but its still a beast never the less.) This beast, lacks the power or range of its older self, but gains speed and annoyingly long combos in the process. Good luck! Your friendly neighborhood Yoshi: Burntsocks :yoshi:
Link does have a slight bit more potential in more matches than young Link, but I'm not sure if this is one of them. He certainly has more range in general; most notably his jab, utilt, d-smash, and fair, but other arials and attacks don't really stand out as convincingly larger or are even useful to Link, (i.e. such as Link's uair, dair, etc. don't have larger hitboxes; his projectile range doesn't go much farther; and f-tilt and u-smash have more range than young Link's, but are too crappy too be used with Link due to being too slow[f-tilt] or will never hit[u-smash]). Don't forget that young Link can combo longer and more fluid than Link can with projectiles, and they both have the similar combo scheme with close combat range.

And anyway, Yoshi is just too easy too edgeguard, bomb guarding does well too get damage when he's recovering and a simple dair will cancel his horrible double jump. And I'm curious, can Yoshi even Meteor cancel Meteor spikes (smash)? I don't think he can, can he. Young Link's d-tilt for edgeguards would **** then in this matchup :)

Also, young Link's spam is > than Yoshi eggz

Of course, Yohshi d-tilt gimp kills suck, and DJC'ing bomb combos is no fun either.

Overall, I'd say young Link would have the slight advantage in this matchup.

D

Deleted member

I jab all the time >_>

like spacing fairs and jabs against Yoshi and his shield or f-tilting for mild kills

young Links don't really use the F-smash to kill that much :p

Link does have a slight bit more potential in more matches than young Link, but I'm not sure if this is one of them. He certainly has more range in general; most notably his jab, utilt, d-smash, and fair, but other arials and attacks don't really stand out as convincingly larger or are even useful to Link, (i.e. such as Link's uair, dair, etc. don't have larger hitboxes; his projectile range doesn't go much farther; and f-tilt and u-smash have more range than young Link's, but are too crappy too be used with Link due to being too slow[f-tilt] or will never hit[u-smash]). Don't forget that young Link can combo longer and more fluid than Link can with projectiles, and they both have the similar combo scheme with close combat range.

And anyway, Yoshi is just too easy too edgeguard, bomb guarding does well too get damage when he's recovering and a simple dair will cancel his horrible double jump. And I'm curious, can Yoshi even Meteor cancel Meteor spikes (smash)? I don't think he can, can he. Young Link's d-tilt for edgeguards would **** then in this matchup :)

Also, young Link's spam is > than Yoshi eggz

Of course, Yohshi d-tilt gimp kills suck, and DJC'ing bomb combos is no fun either.

Overall, I'd say young Link would have the slight advantage in this matchup.

Eh YL can easily edgeguard Yoshi, that is true. YL can also combo Yoshi to death. And I guess Yls projectile spam is better than Yoshis eggs in msot situation, WHen i said that YL's fmash isnt good for killz, i didnt mean that YL players use it for killz. It was a polite way of saying that YL's Fsmash sux balls :p I guess YL might have a small advantage, but Yoshis DJC is a major adavntage in avoiding combos, and though Yoshi cant combo YL too easily, he canstill dish out alot of damage fairly quickly.

Chip.

you know what to do
Eh YL can easily edgeguard Yoshi, that is true. YL can also combo Yoshi to death. And I guess Yls projectile spam is better than Yoshis eggs in msot situation, WHen i said that YL's fmash isnt good for killz, i didnt mean that YL players use it for killz. It was a polite way of saying that YL's Fsmash sux balls :p I guess YL might have a small advantage, but Yoshis DJC is a major adavntage in avoiding combos, and though Yoshi cant combo YL too easily, he canstill dish out alot of damage fairly quickly.
QFT

Oh yeah, you don't have to politely state that young Link's F-smash sux balls, because it does. ^_^ All you have to do is go right on and say it like this:

young Link's F-smash sucks many balls.

See, that wasn't that hard :)

D

Deleted member

...hey thats my joke, you YL main. Get off of our BOARDS!

Chip.

you know what to do
Man, first the Bowser boards now the Yoshi ones too?
Jeez what's wrong with bottom tier dinasour forums these days?

*shrugs*

D

Deleted member

Go away you boardless freaks :p We don't want u, and if u dont leave, this thread will be closed. Go back to your own boards! And the bowser boards wanted u out too!? Just shows how asexual dinosaurs act. And our nair is better! At least we dont have an fsmash that killz at 10,000%! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... Ok goodbye now. Sorry for spamming.

Chip.

you know what to do
Lol, it's fun to troll right Giggi?

*high five*

And as FYI, it's only the first part of the F-smash that doesn't hit; the first part just holds them down while the second part has tremendous knockback.

Ahhh, Yoshi boards and their senseless ignorance these days..

Chip.

you know what to do
Actually I believe ONLY my young Link's f-smash holds such quantities of power to be able to pwn spotdodgers

seriously, this attack is even better than Gimpy's Bowser f-smash - which can close threads

seriously, seriously.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Trolls out please.

burntsocks, don't encourage them. We want these forums to be for the most part serious discussion for the betterment of all player's smash skills. These kinds of posts belong in the Pool Room.

Chip - Y.Link is an awesome character, and like Yoshi is great for laming higher tiered players that don't expect it. If you want to put forward discussion relating to how to counter some of the counter Y.Link strategies that have been suggested then you're welcome to stay and discuss, otherwise please take spammy posts out of this forum.

Any posts that I consider spammy after this point will get an infraction.
burntsocks said:
Sorry for spamming.
Again, I'm not going to give you an infraction for this but I don't want to see any more or I'll be forced to ok? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because you're new to the boards but my patience has its limits.

Back on topic people!

I feel powerful

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL you should, that was pretty boss. Wow, best Yoshi + best mod (sorry Mic) = 2 good?

ROFL get it? There were two categories and Bringer's too g-

Anyway.

**sigh**

Well, I thought it was funny. :_:

To get things on topic, I suppose I'll say that Young Link's grabs (I have the feeling I've typed this out before at some point...I'm getting some weird sort of deja vu) mess Yoshi up pretty bad. Like...kinda really bad. I'd honestly rather get grabbed by Sheik.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I suppose I'll say that Young Link's grabs (I have the feeling I've typed this out before at some point...I'm getting some weird sort of deja vu) mess Yoshi up pretty bad. Like...kinda really bad. I'd honestly rather get grabbed by Sheik.
Agreed. YL can start combos difficult to avoid even with proper DI. What should I do in that situation if I can't break free from the grab?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hope that they suck.

Or a better answer would be to either try for a DJ at lower to mid percents or at higher percents, just pray that you can get a neutral air or airdodge off before they can hit you, which isn't very likely.

D

Deleted member

IMO, i think YL's grabs aren't too good, mostly because they have horrendous lag if u miss, and because I can usually down b out of YL's grab combos. They are still a nuacance, but nothin too bad.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
DI the grab in front of YL. That way if he follows with uptilt, it will only combo to n-air, especially if you keep DIing away. If you go behind, you get b-air into all sorts of stuff.

If you get up-air'd then it's a one off hit and you should be able to double jump to reduce the knockback.

D

Deleted member

BREAKING NEWS! Ultimate anti YL stratigy: catch bombs. Thats right. Its really hard to do in the midst of battle, but it can stop YLs attempt at combos, and even start up some Yoshi bomb combos. I just asked my friend to battle me for a while and i practiced catching them. Try it out.

Chip.

you know what to do
Musgrave is a cool mod. . .

. . . oh yeah

BREAKING NEWS! Ultimate anti YL stratigy: catch bombs. Thats right. Its really hard to do in the midst of battle, but it can stop YLs attempt at combos, and even start up some Yoshi bomb combos. I just asked my friend to battle me for a while and i practiced catching them. Try it out.
Yeah, not really breaking news >_>

Plenty of good players catch bombs; there are plenty of good strategys used to counter "bomb catchers" like throwing another bomb, or throwing a boomerang right after they catch the bomb. I've played plenty of good players that catch my bombs, like Ka-master and Eggz, which are a small annoyence to me, but aren't any big deal. I admit that catching young Link's bombs can be good in a few, likely but uncommon situations but. . . .

it's no "Ultimate anti-YL strategy" >_>

sorry yoshis LOLOLOLOL

D

Deleted member

Musgrave is a cool mod. . .

. . . oh yeah

Yeah, not really breaking news >_>

Plenty of good players catch bombs; there are plenty of good strategys used to counter "bomb catchers" like throwing another bomb, or throwing a boomerang right after they catch the bomb. I've played plenty of good players that catch my bombs, like Ka-master and Eggz, which are a small annoyence to me, but aren't any big deal. I admit that catching young Link's bombs can be good in a few, likely but uncommon situations but. . . .

it's no "Ultimate anti-YL strategy" >_>

sorry yoshis LOLOLOLOL
You know what...your probably right but still. I think you arent giving bomb catching enough credit. I over exhagerated, but it can catch opponents by surprise and it CAN set up for combos (i did it today). Though it can be countered fairly easily, it can also allow Yoshi to have another weapon at his disposal when used correctly.

Chip.

you know what to do
You know what...your probably right but still. I think you arent giving bomb catching enough credit. I over exhagerated, but it can catch opponents by surprise and it CAN set up for combos (i did it today). Though it can be countered fairly easily, it can also allow Yoshi to have another weapon at his disposal when used correctly.

No, I'm giving it all the credit it needs - which isn't very much. Also, your post just basically is saying what I said: it can be handy in some situations but overall it's nothing more than a minor annoyence.

D

Deleted member

No, I'm giving it all the credit it needs - which isn't very much. Also, your post just basically is saying what I said: it can be handy in some situations but overall it's nothing more than a minor annoyence.
Eh i guess your right...stupid YL mains. Fine i take back my last two posts :p Bomb catching is a situational yet still useful tactic.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mid-air dodge bomb catching shield can be awesome.

I never practice this though, I tend to just try and avoid projectiles as whenever I try to catch Y.Link bombs I get hit by the fuse.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yeah. You have to be careful and pay attention to the fuse when trying this. YL may trick you into blowing yourself up and set you up for a combo. I wonder. If you're quick enough, can throwing the bomb cut off YL's other projectiles? Or am I better off trying to poweshield the bomb?

technomancer

Smash Champion
Make like Isai and don't get hit is the key to this matchup. Occasional pressure, neutral B and grabs are important to punish overshielding, downthrow->downair and techchase with a downsmash if you can get away with it, downtilt to knock him off whenever you see an opportunity to dash forward and sneak it in.

Honestly I think I use neutral B alot more in this matchup than with other characters, it just seems to fit into alot of locations and it allows you to break through any kind of camping and determing your own spacing.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
!!

I just remembered something. When I unintentionally hypershielded Young Link's dair towards the edge, he bounced off of my Yoshi and fell down off the stage. He was still be able to return, but he was in a position where, since I hypershielded, I could edgeguard. Weird. It startled both of us until I explained it. Anyway, what is the best way to edgeguard him other than disrupting his bomb recovery by throwing eggs at the bombs?

Top Bottom