• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi vs. Samus

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
I have a real hard time with this match-up. I don't really know why, either, other than her being floaty and the projectiles, unless that's enough. >_>

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: There's a reason this matchup is difficult. I'll try to get someone I know to come in and say why.

There should already be a thread on this somewhere, though. Try searching and see what you find...I'm pretty sure I've *****ed enough about Samus in here on another thread before.

P.S. - Nevermind, the last Samus topic only had like...five posts. I'll come back when I have time to see what input I can give.

D

Deleted member

fighting samus with yoshi is like fighting an Abrams tank with plastic sporks from taco bell.

heynivek

Smash Apprentice
i love the sporks at taco bell. . .

some reasons why samus matchup can be tough:

- samus' aerial game has longer reach over yoshi's air game, making it frustrating to fight in the air

- fast hit recovery/cc breaks a lot of yoshi combos

- quick recovery on samus ground attacks vs. yoshis laggier ground attacks makes it harder for yoshi to punish and ez for samus to abuse

I heard Aho once say that new yoshi players who are looking for higher teir chars to play should try picking up samus because they have have a lot in common. You could say that the two have a lot of similarities when it comes to strategy/tactics, but samus just has more advantages when it comes to execution.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This match is very hit and run.

Not many real combos at all. You basically have to bait her CC, hit her with something she can't CC, and then GTFO before she can start hitting you. You really shouldn't ever initiate rushdowns and powershielding isn't necessary, but it's very useful. Don't trade hits if you can help it. Also, be where she isn't; if she's in the air, don't try to match her up there because of her obscene range/priority combo. Same with ground due to her CC and general quicker recovery time. Your main strength here is edgeguarding, so abuse it. Lightshielding saves your life.

That's all I can think of. It's not really solid advice, but I'm not the greatest at this matchup, even though I'm getting the hang of it more and more as time goes on.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
In this matchup. Spacing is everything. Don't challenge her attacks either. If you see her coming down with a metor smash or somethin. Move then punish floaty hoe. Shield Grab her down smash. Power shield her missels. N air helps cause it can kick through missles and bombs when aproaching. Foward air is good too. OOO i almost forgot. Shes so easy to combo. The back air ***** her. U already know what to do with the edge gaurd. Hit her bombo with eggs. If all she has left is an up b. Instant edge hog that trick. I promise u. they won't like it. Umm thats all i can think of. O and again DONT CHALLENGE HER SMASHES. Damage can rack up reall quick if your not carefull

gamefreak2006

Smash Cadet
One thing you should avoid doing is rolling, Shiri plays me all the time and that is where the majority of my kills come from is punishing yoshi's rolls. The timing isn't that hard to figure it out, and samus' fsmash is perfect for punishing rolls. I also use the uptilt at lower percentages, as it is a nice set up as well, avoid samus uptilt at all costs, it combos into anything and will steal your second jump at much lower % than you think. Another thing you should avoid is staying in your shield up close to samus. Her jab/ftilt combos are more than capable of forcing you to roll, then free hit for samus. The two best options if you find yourself in your shield is a) fullshield and if the samus is dsmash happy, you CAN shield grab her dsamsh or b) light shield and then get away from her. Learn to powershield, nothing frustrates a samus more than consistently power shielding her projectiles. Edgeguarding samus is your key here, get her off the stage, and keep her off. If she is high up there, throw eggs!!!!! They knockback can be DI'ed to help her recover, but it is difficult and the damage adds up quickly. CC dsmash/dtilt absolutely ruin a sweetspot up b from her, but make sure she doesn't come above the stage and catch you with it. Samus' dash attack is slightly better, don't try to trade off with it, instead try spacing your fsmash. I have been caught numerous times dashing at yoshi, and then being punished by an fsmash. Try charging your fsmash/dsmash out too, samus likes to spot dodge in this match up and those attacks are good punishers.

gamefreak2006

Smash Cadet
I know, i really wanted to, but I couldn't find you at FC6. We'll have to play at some point this summer if I can make it out to any tourneys.

Megaman X

Smash Journeyman
Ugh. I hate this match. Grabbing her is nearly worthless. dthrows are impossible to combo unless your opponent is an idiot because of her **** floaty ***. Neutral B again is stupid because of floaty. Don't get hit. If she lands a clean hit with almost any move, you're gonna eat tons of BS that is extremely difficult to get out of even with the increased weight of the double jump. This game is all about punishing foiled Samus approaches. Yoshi's comparative lack of aerial range makes this more difficult than it should be though. I found it helpful to NEVER APPROACH FROM THE AIR. If you get the urge to jump for anything other than punishment, slap yourself. You don't want to be hit in the air any earlier than you have to be. Eggs. Lots of them. Particularly if there are platforms for cover. Try not to roll if you don't have to. Did I mention how much this match sucks?

Why does the Yoshi faq say this matchup is 5:5?

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
The way I see it, you have to be extremely defensive in this game - as mentioned, plenty of Samus' attacks go straight through Yoshi's.

Try to psyche him out with some defensive mindgames or something. Force him to give you an opening by keeping your distance, but staying close enough so he doesn't have enough room to safely charge a shot or launch a missle.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
I know a few samus players, but one is really good with her and knows how to use her attacks in a way that makes me see almost share Shiri's rage.

I like to say I know how to deal with a good Samus, but maybe I'm wrong.

Still - this leads me to the point that the matchup is defensive for Yoshi. You can't go completely offensive because most(if not all) of your approaches are punished if the Samus knows what he's doing.

Top Bottom