• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi vs Peach Matchup Thread

Who do you think this matchup favors?

• 65/35 One of Yoshi's best matchups

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 60/40 Great matchup for Yoshi

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 55/45 Slightly in Yoshi's favor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50/50 Even

• 45/55 Slightly in Peach's favor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40/60 Bad matchup for Yoshi

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 35/65 One of Yoshi's worst matchups

• Total voters

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
:peach: Princess Toadstool :peach:
This thread is one of a series of threads each dedicated to a single matchup, covering all 41(+) matchups. These threads are going to be a collaboration, so PLEASE give me your thoughts and opinions. Post your videos here, even if you lose. Post your preferred stages, even if people think otherwise. Post your tips, even if you think you aren't the best player.
I. Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0PW9nNOX-0 Mumbo vs. Zerothetheif (games 2 & 3)

II. Overview:
Peach's Up special = Parasol; Down Special = Turnip Pull (Stitchface = super strong turnip, Doteyes = strong turnip); Side special = Peach Bomber; Neutral special = Toad/Counter.

Peach's Strengths:
  • Light and Floaty, hard to combo
  • Can stay in the air and has aerials with a lot of priority
  • Great edgeguard/gimp potential
  • Can pull items (turnips)

Peachs Weaknesses:
  • Light and floaty, dies off the top easily
  • Doesn't combo very well
  • Relatively slow
  • Has trouble coming down

Key Points:
  • Peach likes crouch cancelers, and Yoshi is Peach's favorite flavor crouch canceler

III. Matchup Analysis:
Neutral Game:
  • Throw eggs!
  • Keep Peach out, bait, and punish. Yoshi doesn't have strong approaches on Peach
  • Pay attention to how Peach attacks out of float; good Peaches will either do float-cancels (cancels more lag than L-cancels, super safe but grounds peach) or retreating floating aerials. Float-cancels are very difficult to punish
Comboing/Punishing Peach:
  • Get Peach in the air above you and make her work to come down
    • Throw eggs
    • Bait a jump, float, airdodge, or attack and upair. You can Empty hop or DJC/SHFFL uair, which, despite having zero chance of hitting, does a great job of scaring people

Escaping Peach's Pressure:
  • You should be saving your jump for the most part throughout neutral, so Peach shouldn't be able to combo you all too well
  • Peach's grabs are not too deadly because they refresh your jump;
    • Upthrow
    • Fthrow: Kill throw, if at the edge of the stage, DI slightly up
    • Downthrow: Combo throw, DI behind Peach
    • Bthrow: Edgeguard throw, if thrown offstage, Peach will likely immediately float and go for a bair or a nair. Try to DI back and jump/eggroll over it (safer), or drop low and jump under it if you are super sneaky

Edgeguarding Peach:
  • Throw eggs, it knocks Peach out of float and forces her to Up-b
  • Peach's parasol breaks crouch cancel fairly early so don't sit at the ledge when Peach is recovering towards the ledge from below

Recovering against Peach:

IV. Stages
Ultimately, Stage striking, banning, and Counterpicking comes down to personal preference. People will also have conflicting opinions as to which stages are better or worse for certain matchups. Use this as a rough baseline, understand the reasons why each stage may help hurt a particular character, and learn what your opponent might want to ban/counterpick against you. Different Tournaments use different stage lists with different sets of starters and different amounts of stage bans.

Counterpicks:

• WarioWare
      • + Counterpick
      • + Small Stage allows Yoshi to kill much earlier
      • + Platforms allow Yoshi to escape combos, refresh his jump, better extend vertical combos, and move
Even:

BAN
  • Dreamland
    • - Ban/Strike
    • - Yoshi has a really hard time racking up enough % to kill Peach
    • - Peach can edgeguard Yoshi while Yoshi has to rely on kills

V. Tricks, Tips, Do's and Don'ts:
Don't:
  • Crouch Cancel in neutral. It doesn't work against most of Peach's moves and if she follows up with downsmash you will eat up to 70%
  • Grab as much as usual. They are very punishable, hard to get on Peach, and don't actually lead into much
  • DJC approach
  • Go offstage to edgeguard unless Peach is in considerable hitstun
Do:
  • THROW EGGS
  • Get in with Egg lay
Tricks:
  • Use Egglay + Eggthrow to put Peach in the air and keep her above you

Tips:
  • Under a platform that Peach is on is a good position for Yoshi, but watch out for Down smash

Last edited:

TamashiiEater

Smash Rookie
One thing I noticed during the vid is that you didnt opt to catch her turnips. When she is trying to engage whith turnips you can easily grab one and toss it back instantly with A to grab and A again to throw. If you use a jc throw you can easily close the gap and follow up if she chooses not to approach. If she is coming in hot you can also space away from her jc toss up and grab into upthrow into the turnip for a nice up smash set up.

It might seem silly to catch them but alot a times peach just isnt expecting it and it almost looks like a sure hit, so they almost always come in to combo whith the hit stun aferwards making it pretty easy to shut them down.

Last edited:

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
One thing I noticed during the vid is that you didnt opt to catch her turnips. When she is trying to engage whith turnips you can easily grab one and toss it back instantly with A to grab and A again to throw. If you use a jc throw you can easily close the gap and follow up if she chooses not to approach. If she is coming in hot you can also space away from her jc toss up and grab into upthrow into the turnip for a nice up smash set up.

It might seem silly to catch them but alot a times peach just isnt expecting it and it almost looks like a sure hit, so they almost always come in to combo whith the hit stun aferwards making it pretty easy to shut them down.
I think youre right, turnips do cause me a lot of problems in this matchup. I find it hard to catch with A, and I usually opt to catch with an airdodge (when I play toon links and Diddy's airdodging to catch is pretty important). Is catching with A instead of airdodge worthwhile for this matchup would you say?

TamashiiEater

Smash Rookie
I duuno maybe its just me but I tend to catch em about 80% of the time with out flat out airdodging. If I airdodge grab I will use a well timed wave landing or wave dash. The best option imo is using A. Try practicing with link's bombs first.

Sylnic

Smash Cadet
Don't catch items in the air with A, catch them with Z. It's muuuuuch easier. If you're on the ground, it's easiest to catch items with a wavedash.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
**** this matchup to hell and back. Extremely painful to play this without needing to force peach to approach from bad angles.

Last edited:

TamashiiEater

Smash Rookie
**** this matchup to hell and back. Extremely painful to play this without needing to force peach to approach from bad angles.
I play against a peach main on a daily basis maybe that Is why when ppl tell me "oh no peach" im like "and?". Im telling you, after you catch that turnip her approach and baiting options are slim to none and will eventually force them to play defensively allowing you to bait some whiffs and toss out that punish game, putting youat a decent advantage untill u end up back in the neutral game. Also the timing required of a wave dash can some times cause you to get hit just before you airdodge to the ground or after you land, unless you need to space yourself when you grab the projectile, plus using less buttons will give you a much better reaction time. Having to use a wave dash is slightly closer to a read than a reaction, and absolutely no movement after you grab a tossed item with a is less likely to be noticed by your opponent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom