• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi vs Luigi

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
can anyone give me some advice on facing a good luigi player with yoshi.

if so,thanks;)

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
Yeah, basically what Hal said, you should try to use oversmash attacks whenever you get the opportunity. Luigi can only missfire 1 in 8 times, and he jumps vertically up, so chances are is that you can KO him more easily, since Luigi has a pretty hard time recovering from far away vertically from the stage.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: ROFL @ this matchup. This is too good.

Luigi has the potential to be a Yoshi counter. He's stronger and more agile on the ground than Mario with tons more air priority. Yet still, this matchup is tremendously in Yoshi's favor. Why? One simple principle. To beat a Luigi player, all you have to do is knock Luigi off balance.

Luigi relies heavily on being able to control his own unique brand of traction. The second he loses control of himself on the ground, he has to divert all his energy into staying on the stage and regaining some form of balance. He is unable to apply pressure and, most of the time, unable to mount a defense against a smart attacker.

The keys to knocking Luigi off-balance are jabs, down tilts, and downsmash. Jabs, first of all, are amazing against Luigi. They reach quite far on the ground against him and can stop his slower aerials (forward air, down air if you're lucky) cold. From there, lead in to wavedash down tilts. Two words. Too good. Once you've snuck in a down tilt, it should be game over, or Luigi should at least be in mortal danger. Chase with dash attacks, neutral airs, and wavedash jabs. If you chase with a dash attack and low to medium percentages, you can bet dollars to donuts that Luigi will tech roll away from you once he hits the ground.

Luigi's tech roll means he's rolling far, and on most stages that usually means he'll end up at an edge, giving you a free chance to apply a lot of edge pressure. Watch out for ledgehopped aerials of all kinds...they're good. Anyway, once at the edge, try your best to sneak in another down tilt or a downsmash when possible. Even if you can jab him off and follow with a jump-off neutral aerial, you'll do okay.

Things to remember in this matchup:

1] Don't fux with things that send Luigi up. You want to make this battle as horizontal as possible. Why don't you want to send him up? Here's why.

2] Don't fux with Luigi in the air. He is too good up there and even a low percent DJC is too risky in this matchup, I think. Anything that goes up must come down. If he's up in the air and you're not comfortable, just move and wait for him to come down. Simple. You can even egg if you're far enough away (watch out for wavelands).

3] Don't spam high lag moves while Luigi is in shield or on the ground. This much should be self-explanatory, but Luigi's out-of-shield manuevers are quite good against Yoshi...the more brazen Luigi players will try for wavedash out of shield to Up+B on your downsmash. Look out for it, cuz it can hit and will most likely KO you.

4] Don't be afraid to run. If you have to skate, just do it. When Luigi has to chase you, he doesn't have too many options (especially since Luigi players don't like their own projectile much). Most chasing options involve wavedash, meaning most of those options involve wavedash downsmash, which is easy to just hop over and neutral air.

5] Try not to trade hits. Luigi doesn't really combo outside of neutral air and tilts, so if he's hitting you with anything else, it's most likely a power hit. You won't be beating too many of Luigi's attacks, so if you strike and you think he can strike, too, expect a nasty trade. Trades usually do not end in your favor in this matchup.

6] Finally, don't be afraid to run off and neutral air this fool. Be on the lookout for misfires and, when he finishes a Luigi Missile somewhat near the stage, just jump out and neutral (forward air is tough because if they see it coming, Luigi's up air will stop you). Eggs are okay for racking up damage, but neutral do a great job of finishing him off.

Just be careful not to get baited too hard in this matchup, especially with Luigi's nasty rising down aerial to falling neutral aerial setup on shields. Watch out for basic speed tricks and you should do just fine. Remember, knock him off balance. That's the key to an easy win in this match.

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
:yoshi: ROFL @ this matchup. This is too good.

Luigi has the potential to be a Yoshi counter. He's stronger and more agile on the ground than Mario with tons more air priority. Yet still, this matchup is tremendously in Yoshi's favor. Why? One simple principle. To beat a Luigi player, all you have to do is knock Luigi off balance.

Luigi relies heavily on being able to control his own unique brand of traction. The second he loses control of himself on the ground, he has to divert all his energy into staying on the stage and regaining some form of balance. He is unable to apply pressure and, most of the time, unable to mount a defense against a smart attacker.

The keys to knocking Luigi off-balance are jabs, down tilts, and downsmash. Jabs, first of all, are amazing against Luigi. They reach quite far on the ground against him and can stop his slower aerials (forward air, down air if you're lucky) cold. From there, lead in to wavedash down tilts. Two words. Too good. Once you've snuck in a down tilt, it should be game over, or Luigi should at least be in mortal danger. Chase with dash attacks, neutral airs, and wavedash jabs. If you chase with a dash attack and low to medium percentages, you can bet dollars to donuts that Luigi will tech roll away from you once he hits the ground.

Luigi's tech roll means he's rolling far, and on most stages that usually means he'll end up at an edge, giving you a free chance to apply a lot of edge pressure. Watch out for ledgehopped aerials of all kinds...they're good. Anyway, once at the edge, try your best to sneak in another down tilt or a downsmash when possible. Even if you can jab him off and follow with a jump-off neutral aerial, you'll do okay.

Things to remember in this matchup:

1] Don't fux with things that send Luigi up. You want to make this battle as horizontal as possible. Why don't you want to send him up? Here's why.

2] Don't fux with Luigi in the air. He is too good up there and even a low percent DJC is too risky in this matchup, I think. Anything that goes up must come down. If he's up in the air and you're not comfortable, just move and wait for him to come down. Simple. You can even egg if you're far enough away (watch out for wavelands).

3] Don't spam high lag moves while Luigi is in shield or on the ground. This much should be self-explanatory, but Luigi's out-of-shield manuevers are quite good against Yoshi...the more brazen Luigi players will try for wavedash out of shield to Up+B on your downsmash. Look out for it, cuz it can hit and will most likely KO you.

4] Don't be afraid to run. If you have to skate, just do it. When Luigi has to chase you, he doesn't have too many options (especially since Luigi players don't like their own projectile much). Most chasing options involve wavedash, meaning most of those options involve wavedash downsmash, which is easy to just hop over and neutral air.

5] Try not to trade hits. Luigi doesn't really combo outside of neutral air and tilts, so if he's hitting you with anything else, it's most likely a power hit. You won't be beating too many of Luigi's attacks, so if you strike and you think he can strike, too, expect a nasty trade. Trades usually do not end in your favor in this matchup.

6] Finally, don't be afraid to run off and neutral air this fool. Be on the lookout for misfires and, when he finishes a Luigi Missile somewhat near the stage, just jump out and neutral (forward air is tough because if they see it coming, Luigi's up air will stop you). Eggs are okay for racking up damage, but neutral do a great job of finishing him off.

Just be careful not to get baited too hard in this matchup, especially with Luigi's nasty rising down aerial to falling neutral aerial setup on shields. Watch out for basic speed tricks and you should do just fine. Remember, knock him off balance. That's the key to an easy win in this match.
Wow your post makes my post look like a piece of ****. You must really know a lot about Yoshi, I give you an A+.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Shiri: King of the Yoshi boards. That was a ridiculously in-depth and intelligent post. Even I learned stuff I didn't know. I think I'll give out my rare +rep. Too bad it's not more valuable than other peoples' rep.

Edit: Ummmm where's the button?

Double edit: I guess they got rid of rep. Well, take my Yoshi Gratitude instead:
"Yoshi"*gives peace sign*=Awesome post go Shiri!!!

Triple edit ZOMG!: Hey I learned another thing from your post: there is no rep system anymore.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: ROFL

I am no Yoshi king. I do specialize in a few ******** matchups, though...this being one of them. And besides, my teacher taught me when I was first learning the game how to try to exploit natural character weaknesses in most matchups, so things like this are easier for me to see. The more technical stuff like priority, lead-ins, and how to KO and when are things other players tend to specialize in more, like when Bringer said up tilt to smash is better against fastfallers at 100%+ than up tilt to throw to kick. Stuff like that.

P.S. - MetalLuigi, quality >>>> quantity. Your posts don't have to be ten pages long to be good. Mine are just long cuz I don't know how to shut the **** up, ROFL. You covered what you felt was important, as did I. The difference in length in negligible as long as we both get our points across. ^_^

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Sidestep to ______ or short hop beats down tilt spam, which is why I suggest jabbing between tilts.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Ahh, though that near-guide-level post was pretty freaking awesome, I don't think you took Luigi's speed and rushdown tactics into very much consideration.

Luigi does have at least 1 good method of applying plenty of pressure, and thats SH double aerials. As long as Luigi spaces his double aerials, and jabs inbetween the l-cancel, the shield can really take a beatdown. Not to admit the rediculously good tech-chase ability of his wavedash, which in itself applys fat amounts of pressure.

And also, for the d-tilt thing, you mentioned Luigi can SH over it...yeah. There's like 3 good approaches for Luigi: Wavedash d-smash, (which can be pretty easily avoided), wavedash spaced f-tilt, and SH double aerials. Usually one method is going to work better than the others. In this case probably the double aerials. There's not much you can do about 'em. And if Yoshi lands a jab inbetween the d-tilt to cancel Luigi's SH, Luigi can usually immediately n-air and at least trade hits with Yoshi.

As for avoiding the WD d-smash, that's usually where the wavedash-f-tilt approach comes in. As long as Luigi angles it high, there's a pretty slim chance you're going to be able to hop over it. Also note that the wavedash f-tilt has longer range than Luigi's d-smash, so it can really be unsuspecting.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Snaps, I forgot about forward tilt. x_x

But Luigi's aerials are quite strong...I think lightshielding them (in response to your double SH aerial point) would push Yoshi far enough away (and rapidly enough) that Luigi wouldn't be able to follow, even with good wavedash speed. It would be a good way to force Yoshi to the edge, on the other hand. Luigi does win when he's got Yoshi cornered at the edge.

And boo @ interrupting jabs with neutral air. </3 Luigi, LOL.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
XD, yeah, Luigi's n-air priority and lack of start up time can really make some people mad.

Hmm, lightshielding eh? Interesting, didn't take that into consideration. That probably does work pretty well.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
lol yep shiri covered pretty much everything. An like he said u just really don't want to challenge him in the air. Or DJC from low to mid percents. Lugi doesn't have Dj weight like us. But he recovers in the air reall quick. Say u go to do a DJC nair. He'll wake up and hit with one of his amazing aireal moves before u can recover from perfoming the attack. Also his grab game is sick. I don't believe he has some broken chain grab but his grabs does give him controll and most of the time leaves you helpless in the air. U don't want to be there to long cause hes gonna be like. OOOO Fair, Nair, Uair. but yeah just use those tilts an b safe

Top Bottom