• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Vs Bowser

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
Hey Yoshstians!

Did a search and couldnt find anything on this match up. :confused:

I've recently come across someone who plays a MEAN Bowser. My :yoshi: is finding trouble against him as i have no experience against Bowser whatsoever! My matches usually turn out something like this:

http://yoshivsbowser.ytmnd.com/ :laugh:

Any help would be much appreciated peeps!

Go team :yoshi: !

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
bowser beats yoshi.
Grrrrrr:mad: *Shakes fist at Gimpyfish*

Your not supposed to say that, your supposed to say

'' Well as one of the best, if not, THE best Bowsers around, i can tell you that i have played a few good Yoshi and have been totally destroyed by them, here's what they did.... blah blah blah etc!''

Give a :yoshi: brutha some hope man! :laugh:

fatality_yoshi

Smash Rookie
My first post!!

I'm not the best to answer... but the GIF you has sent, dont use the "roll egg" to much.

Maybe, you can try with Bair or Dash attack.

Maybe it can help you a little bit U^^

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
well generally speaking yoshi should destroy the average bowser. but the average bowser wont ever win any match vs anyone ever even on a fluke lol

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
My first post!!

I'm not the best to answer... but the GIF you has sent, dont use the "roll egg" to much.

Maybe, you can try with Bair or Dash attack.

Maybe it can help you a little bit U^^
The Bowser was pretty defensive and punished me for each of those moves, especially the dash attacks. Welcome to the Smash Boards by the way Fatality_Yoshi! Always good to have a fellow Yoshstian join the team!

well generally speaking yoshi should destroy the average bowser. but the average bowser wont ever win any match vs anyone ever even on a fluke lol
Much better, thats what i like to hear!:laugh:

BUT if thats the case, then why did i find this Bowser so hard to beat???:confused: Maybe i need to practice more... Keep in mind the Bowser was far from average though. He was frigging d&mn good.

Anyone else got any strategies on how :yoshi: can take out a Bowser? (Bringer or Shiri maybe, your wisdom is always needed lol :laugh: )

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
In my guide, the second post has info on Bowser.

Generally, Bowser loses to Yoshi if he doesn't shieldcamp well. Good Yoshi's should be able to do DJC up-air combos to combo Bowser from 20 - 80% at least. Yoshi can edgeguard Bowser really well with d-air or d-smash or d-tilt.

The only reason Bowser stands a chance against Yoshi is that he can shield when Yoshi approaches, and up-B or shieldgrab you. Then, after putting Yoshi off balance, Bowser can do a lot of nasty things to him.

I guess this match just boils down to winning the approach game. If Yoshi wins the approach (which is hard if the Bowser knows what he's doing) then he should win. If Yoshi loses the approach then he should lose. All in all, it boils down to beating Bowser's shield game in every way you can.

I'll give you more info on this when Caotic comes back from America. Good Yoshi vs good Bowser matches ftw!!!

Saur

Smash Apprentice
Caotic's awesome... He breathed (bowser firebreath) life into San Diego's smash scene. Boo to him leaving America =/

Strangely enough, I don't think I've ever faced his bowser... But I've been beaten down by his peach >_<

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I played Bringer and D1's Yoshis, the outcome was the same. Yoshi with a slight advantage.

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
In my guide, the second post has info on Bowser.

Generally, Bowser loses to Yoshi if he doesn't shieldcamp well. Good Yoshi's should be able to do DJC up-air combos to combo Bowser from 20 - 80% at least. Yoshi can edgeguard Bowser really well with d-air or d-smash or d-tilt.

The only reason Bowser stands a chance against Yoshi is that he can shield when Yoshi approaches, and up-B or shieldgrab you. Then, after putting Yoshi off balance, Bowser can do a lot of nasty things to him.

I guess this match just boils down to winning the approach game. If Yoshi wins the approach (which is hard if the Bowser knows what he's doing) then he should win. If Yoshi loses the approach then he should lose. All in all, it boils down to beating Bowser's shield game in every way you can.
Yea the biggest problem WAS his defence, it was tooooo good. I couldnt get through it AT ALL. But i gotta play him again next week so im gonna check out your guide and train hardcore!

I'll give you more info on this when Caotic comes back from America. Good Yoshi vs good Bowser matches ftw!!!
YAY!! Definitly looking forward to that. i havent actually even seen a video of this match up before, thats why i did so badly when i had to play it! :laugh:

But yep that would be great if you could get some of those matches up, i need to steal some techniques! :laugh:

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
This is probably my favorite match up in the game, it's so fun for me when I'm yoshi.

ok, I have a few small combos that will annhilate any bowser, and yes, even you gimpyfish...

First of all, this may be hard, but if you can land your fair on bowser when he's on the ground, maybe edge hog so bowser has to land on the level, then to a ledge hop fair.

after this, l-cancel to dair, and you've pretty much gimped bowser's entire life by adding a good 60 damage to him. do a lot of dash dancing.

freaking up tilt him if he tries to do an aerial approach.

I mean honestly, when it comes down to it, its still bowser and he has his limitations. and yes Gimpy, I've seen your bowser and he's quite money.

good luck with beating the bowser.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
>_> lots of talking @ gimpy going on >_>

lol

*challanges any yoshi to a money match bowser vs yoshi*

you act like yoshi DOESNT have the limitations xD

ps i still haven't really had time to post my thoughts on the matchup, so i'll still get to that eventually

Saur

Smash Apprentice
I respect Bowser's humongous, edgeguarding man-claws. More so than Marth's edge-guarding sword. Not because Bowser's edgeguarding is necessarily better (I've heard it argued both ways) but because he uses his bare hands! BARE HANDS!

King Kong

Smash Lord
As I recall Bringer destroyed my Bowser lie it was nothing.

But i found that the Klaw was a very useful weapon in this matchup, moreso than usual.

peace out

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
The claw's the easiest thing to dodge ever. Just shield as if you're expecting an aerial approach, then sidestep when he approaches. It beats f-air and koopa claw doing this. If he outpredicts you though, then you deserve to get hit a punisher.

King Kong

Smash Lord
The claw's the easiest thing to dodge ever. Just shield as if you're expecting an aerial approach, then sidestep when he approaches. It beats f-air and koopa claw doing this. If he outpredicts you though, then you deserve to get hit a punisher.
As I recall you turned to me and exclaimed loudly: "Stop Klawing me!" cos i got like 4 or 5 per match.

Though I doubt you were trying your best against my Bowser :)

peace out

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't remember that, but then... I don't remember most of my matches lol. At any rate, I've always found it easy to dodge because it's the thing I'm best at when I play Boozer.

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
Hey thanks for all the advice guys! Im gonna take everythiing on board and take one for the :yoshi: team the next tym i play that Bowser! Lol! :laugh:

If anyone else still has more tips by all means let me kno.

And Bringer let us know when you get those :yoshi: vs :bowser: vids up too, i got some studying to do! :laugh:

UltimateBowser

Smash Rookie
One of the people I play used to play as Yoshi, and while I did dominate the fights overall, he did discover a trick thats nasty against Bowser. If you draw Bowser over to the edge, you can egg lay him while your off the edge yourself, either after you've jumped off yourself or been knocked off by him, and use Yoshi's second jump to get back on the stage. If you do it right, it should be impossible for Bowser to recover. Likely the Bowser player will learn and try to avoid the edges, but still this can be hard to do in the heat of battle.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
ummm that wont work at all ever unless bowser has THE WORST reaction time ever

if i was yoshi (or most characters) i woudlnt' want to be fighting bowser by staying at the edges LOL

Tian

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, Yoshi sucks.

But anyways, to be on topic. You could jump above him and use Down B, this is effective near edges(try not to fall off though). Also since Bowser is slow, you could throw eggs at him or just roll until he gets highly damaged.

Or you could suck him up near a corner and push him into the ocean...

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
In my opinion, Yoshi sucks.

But anyways, to be on topic. You could jump above him and use Down B, this is effective near edges(try not to fall off though). Also since Bowser is slow, you could throw eggs at him or just roll until he gets highly damaged.

Or you could suck him up near a corner and push him into the ocean...
you can't be serious

that is the single worst post i have ever seen on smashboards

hahahahahahhahahahahaa, indeed. I hope everybody gives Tian a neg rep.

everyone should give gimpy positive rep too.

Tian

Smash Apprentice
Lol.

Yoshi probably is better than i give credit for. But in all the times i've played with him. He hasn't helped me much.

Maybe i just don't have much skill for him.

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
that is the single worst post i have ever seen on smashboards
Hahahaha It may be just me but this post was frigging funny as hell! Gimpy ur a funny guy!:laugh: :laugh:

Lol.

Yoshi probably is better than i give credit for. But in all the times i've played with him. He hasn't helped me much.

Maybe i just don't have much skill for him.
Yep hes definitly better than u give him credit for, :yoshi: is crazy, go check out some fumi videos to c him at his full potential!

Tian

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, i should try him.

Can someone tell me what's so good about him?

Tian

Smash Apprentice
Hmm....

I'm gonna go try him.

Down B is really addciting.

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
read the small combo's I mentioned on the first page.
Yea linkmaster i read it already. Thanks man! I took out that bowser the last tym i played him:laugh: Haha i actually battered him. Just took in everything i read on this. I found the up tilt had big priority on his aerials too!

Anyways thanks for all the input guys, Bowser is no longer a threat. Mission complete! :laugh: :yoshi:

PS still dont hesitate to add anything if you find a better way to take him out! Any new combos or techniques always go down appreciated. :)

UltimateBowser

Smash Rookie
ummm that wont work at all ever unless bowser has THE WORST reaction time ever

if i was yoshi (or most characters) i woudlnt' want to be fighting bowser by staying at the edges LOL
I'm sorry Gimp, but your wrong. Basically the only matchup I've been in as Bowser that I don't win way more than I lose is against my brother when he's Fox, and he's very good with fox. Sometimes I do still win that one too so it seems safe to say I don't have the worst reaction time ever. Maybe I didn't explain very well exactly how the Yoshi player does it, but I wasn't talking about Bowser just standing there waiting to be sucked in. Its hard to be more specific about it because obviously you've never faced a Yoshi who knows how to do it right and it really comes down to the circumstances of the moment. Its not impossible to avoid, but it can be very hard, especially if its the first time you've encountered it.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
oh sorry you are obviously playing at a level i have yet to reach.

perhaps when i reach you're level i'll understand, but until then, i'll stick to my apparently flawed lower level opinions.

UltimateBowser

Smash Rookie
Yeah, whatever. All I said was you didn't see one technique of one character in the game after you flat out told me I suck, but I guess the all knowing Gimpyfish must be right about everything. Honestly, why are the people here so arrogant? Ok, maybe you've won a tournament or two. That doesn't mean you're the all knowing god of Super Smash who's mastered every strategy of every character in the game.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
your advice was to camp edges vs bowser, of course i'm going to tell you your wrong and thats ridiculous, thats where bowser is STRONGEST

egg lay off the edge? wtf? thats... ugh... you can DI the egg lay back to the stage every time, and even if you forget to or something stupid like that you can easily escape in time to survive

that would only work on a noob, and would only be attempted by a noob

and no, i've never won a tournament, i use bowser lol

UltimateBowser

Smash Rookie
Wow, this is fun. Anyway, as I said was likely the case, I don't think you understood what I was talking about. I wasn't saying camp by the edge, wait for Bowser to walk up and say eat me, and then hope he doesn't DI back, I was saying when Yoshi is off the edge himself and falling suck Bowser in as Bowser tries to edgeguard and time it in such a way that by the time Bowser gets pooped out they will both be low enough Bowser won't be able to get back up. Yoshi, on the other hand, will be able to use his second jump to recover. Of course it does depend on the circumstances and won't work every time and I'm not saying its impossible to avoid. Now if you're saying your so good that no Yoshi could never under any circumstances ever grab you with his tongue, then I guess I really did disagree with the god of Super Smash, and I was out of line, but I find that very unlikely.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Wow, this is fun. Anyway, as I said was likely the case, I don't think you understood what I was talking about. I wasn't saying camp by the edge, wait for Bowser to walk up and say eat me, and then hope he doesn't DI back, I was saying when Yoshi is off the edge himself and falling suck Bowser in as Bowser tries to edgeguard and time it in such a way that by the time Bowser gets pooped out they will both be low enough Bowser won't be able to get back up. Yoshi, on the other hand, will be able to use his second jump to recover. Of course it does depend on the circumstances and won't work every time and I'm not saying its impossible to avoid. Now if you're saying your so good that no Yoshi could never under any circumstances ever grab you with his tongue, then I guess I really did disagree with the god of Super Smash, and I was out of line, but I find that very unlikely.
Except that an Egg Lay (Neutral B) would cancel your second jump so this could only be used when you're returning from above the stage...and if that were the case Bowser (or anybody) can easily break out of the egg in less than half a second and jump/Up-B back onto the stage.

I don't even play Yoshi and I know that.

But if they can't break out of the egg that fast...then I suppose they deserve to die.

Top Bottom