• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Tech - Jump Cancel Egg Throw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor_Wombat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Professing

I was playing some matches with a friend of mine as Yoshi, and as I was zoning him out with Egg Throw, I noticed something. As the holder of a great pocket Diddy, it's a reflex to Jump Cancel Glide Toss. And when I did that while Egg Throwing, I was surprised to see that it worked the exact same with Yoshi's up-B. Same input, but rather than pressing A to toss an item, it's up-B. This not only makes it easier to Egg Throw while running, but it also lets you have an easier time following up after the egg.

Please leave your thoughts on this down below.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yeah, this was actually a tech the Yoshi boards already knew about because it was actually in Brawl, it's generally known as Egg Toss Slide. (ETS for short) You can also retreat with it, throw it behind you and at different angles such as directly upwards and more, fantastic tech.
Sorry for the letdown, but thanks for sharing anyway!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It's also worth noting that you can use this to slide off platforms/onto ledges while throwing an egg, which is also useful (sometimes). It's good to be able to do this because it allows you to alter your spacing while egg tossing, while also not needing to do a SH Egg Toss, which offers more mobility but potentially less safety.

Buhlaine

Smash Rookie
What button are you guys using to jump with this? Typically I use Y, but I can't seem to get the timing of sliding from Y to Up-B quick enough.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Thread prolly needs to be locked after this post.
Using ETS/Jump cancel UpB for more less informed yoshi's, usually having y/x (preference) as your jump then having either of those buttons you're not using as your jump be special (for example most seasoned yoshi's setups are most likely Y jump X special)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Slush, the existence of this thread does not break any of the forum rules. I would have locked it/merged it somewhere else, but we currently lack a central place to discuss Yoshi techs/combos/tricks, so I would have nowhere to really redirect this topic to. Sure, ETS is obvious and simple to veteran Yoshis, but we have yet to create a beginner's guide to basic techs/combos/kill setups for me to be able to direct new players to.

Threads like this will fall off the top on their own, as they don't warrant much activity. But until we have a single unified place for tech discussion, these will remain open as Q&A threads regarding the tech (despite the fact that we have a Q&A thread, the OP is not asking a question), or for looking into specific tech advice.

Professor_Wombat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Professing
What button are you guys using to jump with this? Typically I use Y, but I can't seem to get the timing of sliding from Y to Up-B quick enough.
I actually use L to jump. I'm probably alone here, but I really like NOT having to press a jump button with the same hand I attack/shield with.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Slush, the existence of this thread does not break any of the forum rules. I would have locked it/merged it somewhere else, but we currently lack a central place to discuss Yoshi techs/combos/tricks, so I would have nowhere to really redirect this topic to. Sure, ETS is obvious and simple to veteran Yoshis, but we have yet to create a beginner's guide to basic techs/combos/kill setups for me to be able to direct new players to.

Threads like this will fall off the top on their own, as they don't warrant much activity. But until we have a single unified place for tech discussion, these will remain open as Q&A threads regarding the tech (despite the fact that we have a Q&A thread, the OP is not asking a question), or for looking into specific tech advice.
We have the Yoshi labs and as you said Q&A where this could belong, just neither wasn't updated.
Saying we don't have one is a lie kinda, and unless you want yet another stickied thread by me I would've made a thread on it forever ago if we didn't have the Yoshi Labs back den and 0 mods.

As for not creating guides and such that's a lie too since in this generation of smashboards, guides exist, and Yoshi has a handful of them.
Quite literally handful, I think like 4-6 guides on Yoshi already.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
We have the Yoshi labs and as you said Q&A where this could belong, just neither wasn't updated.
Saying we don't have one is a lie kinda, and unless you want yet another stickied thread by me I would've made a thread on it forever ago if we didn't have the Yoshi Labs back den and 0 mods.

As for not creating guides and such that's a lie too since in this generation of smashboards, guides exist, and Yoshi has a handful of them.
Quite literally handful, I think like 4-6 guides on Yoshi already.
If things aren't updated they aren't worth pointing people to because the information needed isn't there.

However, I have looked through all of the guides again and found that one of them actually does cover a lot of Yoshi's basic tech. Therefore, this thread will be locked now.

I'm going to ask anyone with further discussion about efficient methods for ETS (or any tech, for that matter), to refer to the Q&A thread, found here: http://smashboards.com/threads/hint-block-yoshi-question-and-answer-thread.373013/

And, if you're interested, a very solid guide on how to play Yoshi, including tips and techs, can be found here: http://smashboards.com/guides/yoshis-story-survival-guide.27/

Further guides on Yoshi can be found here: http://smashboards.com/guides/categories/yoshi.169/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom