• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Combos

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
I know that this isn't the exact thread for this, but I figured I'd ask here anyway. I played a Wario yesterday at a local tournament and got beat. I don't really know how to approach the matchup and what's guaranteed as far as combos go. One thing in particular that I noticed was that I'd miss my jab-reset punishes. I couldn't really figure it out during my matches with the guy and they weren't recorded so I can't show you but every time I'd jab reset he'd like "jump" over my downsmash. Is this a bug or am I just bad? I don't know how to space against him or continue combos. His aerial mobility is crazy... Please help.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
this means he was SDI-ing your jab resets. Wario is a character you want to avoid when he's aerial, but if he's grounded you want to either bait him or shield pressure him. be careful with shield pressure because he can Nair Oos too. Dthrow leads to Usmash and Uair early, Uair, Fair, Nair and downB if he DI's wrong, and only Fair Nair and Uair DI dependent Late. Nair beats SideB, if you can shield his SideB, do it, you get all the time in the world to do what you want. If he's mixing up Bite and Nair as approaches, just outspace him in general and pivot grab (amazing when he's aggressive). Edge Guarding, always grab ledge, avoid throwing eggs that you can't follow up on (ae eggs that kiss ledge and go low, where you can rising aerial on reaction or downB for kill.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
also AngryPiratehat AngryPiratehat , looking at your highlight vod, You need to explore more options than Uair after throws, JDC Uairs aren't optimal unless you're basically frame perfect AND reacting to DI. most of the time, you don't want to knock them completely away, or out of reach, which Uair can do very easily (DI playing a big factor). Knocking them up also does nothing for stage control. You want to look for ways to either tack on more percent, or gains stage control by knocking them away (left or right) with a Nair. Even if it's a weak hit, you gain sooo much more from knocking them to the side instead of up. You get more stage control, more followups, more options on followup (rising aerials & such) and most importantly puts you above them when you double jump. If they want positional advantage, they have to make a choice. If you're above them you get more options to deal with that choice.

You also need more presence at the ledge, if you want to throw eggs, throw reverse, they get better angles covering the ledge. That being said, eggs need to cover a lot and you need to capitalize on either moving or gaining some kind of advantage by throwing the egg. Whether it hits or not, you need to use its presence to force decisions and cover options. So, if you throw an egg, move. even if you want to throw more, you can throw them while in the air. You can full/shorthop egg and grab ledge from that. Food for thought there.

Again, be present at the ledge, DON'T let the opponent get a free ledge unless they can straight up gimp you for trying to pressure them (basically nobody in the cast can do that unless you **** up super hard). I'm talking like standing right on ledge, where you can Dtilt and follow up on eggs, and Dsmash and cover Getup options and most importantly hold pressure and momentum.

Last of all, recognize when you have momentum and work to keep it. If you're ever at an advantage, as in, you just hit him, he his in hitstun, he's having to shield, you have positioning after CCing or baiting out a move, all of this you have momentum. find ways to stay present for pressure.

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
Thanks TomBoComBo TomBoComBo I'll do my best to implement these changes in my game. I play with arf a lot and he's gimped me after I ****ed up super hard before, which is why I didn't go for it much in the video. I always thought that DJC up-air was good but maybe I'm just too % hungry instead of stock hungry. And when you say reverse eggs, do you mean actually turning Yoshi around on the ledge and throwing them? I've tried to do that before, and I'm not sure what the best method for that is. I'd also like to ask how you keep up the pressure? Is being close to them at a range where they can't hit you pressure enough? Shield pressure is tricky with Yoshi so I'm not super big on that idea. I'll post more videos later once I've tried to implement all of this.

Top Bottom