• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Combos

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
I said I was going to make this thread a while back, so after much procrastination, here it is.

Basically I want to use this thread to discuss potential combos with Yoshi. What works? What have you done that was awesome? How can we start, continue, and finish combos?

I thought of this because I've seen other more developed characters (like Wolf for example) who have very well developed combos that skilled players can execute consistently for 0-deaths or close to it.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if people could contribute with videos if possible. Otherwise gifs and text are really good too!

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Yoshi's combo game is ludicrous. I have a ton of videos to put together, but I'll post here when they're done
Extend combos with eggs, be creative with weak hits and Ledge canceling. Finish with jab resets or reads or deep Rising Nairs

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
So, what I think is the best kill setup combo is down throw > down b special.

Works well with floaties and then if you catch people usually jumping after a down throw by you then its just going to kill them easier.

They can DI away after down throw so make sure theres no DI or they try to wiggle out of hit stun and then jump.

Also, another kinda basic combo I usually use is like DJC fair into up tilts. Then after like 2 or 3 when the opponent tries to DI away I use F tilt. It just adds percent. :)

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
Also another good combo that I end up doing is when people miss the tech on a platform after a down throw/up throw under a platform, this can lead to a short hop dair.

Easy percent build. Also when you get the full percent of dair you can say "dang" haha

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
So some good combos I came up with after watching EyeHeartLoveTap and then practicing like a crazy person were:

- DJC Bair -> Upward angled Forward Tilt -> Jab 1 -> Uptilt -> Really whatever you want here.
- DJC Fair -> Uptilt (on mid-weights you can do like 3) -> Upward angled F-Tilt -> Jab 1 -> and then depending on DI you could do a bunch of things like Down-smash or something

The DJC Bair I do has to be baited out though because Bair is easily beaten, but because it auto-cancels you can F-Tilt really quickly after it. It's like a really quick in and out motion that requires you to follow the same jump arc in that you made when you jumped out. A little risky I think, but it always ends up paying off because I'll get at least 30% off of the combo I do against the people I usually play with.

I do KNOW that you can chain grab shiek reliably (not easily but reliably) to ~55-60% using the mouth grab box, pivot grabs, and dash grabs. If she DI's away from you then all you have to do is dash grab, no DI means you have to alternate pivot grabs, and DI behind is also a pivot grab but it takes precise timing.

Roy is also chain-grabbable (I play someone who plays Roy a lot), same for Link. They'll both go to about 40% before it starts getting impossible from what I've experimented with.

Toon Link you can do I think at most 3 down throws before he flies away using chain grabs.

The DJC Fair that I use is about the same as the DJC Bair (it just faces a different direction). I usually use it to set up kills because I haven't figured out a way to combo into down-smash (I'm not very good at thinking about combos that will end on the ground in a way that's controllable). But usually when I do it, it will catch my opponent off-guard and send them straight up. Around 120-130% most characters won't come out of hit stun for a while which means I can L-cancel the Fair and then follow them up to finish with an Up-air on most stages. The only ones that this doesn't reliably work on for most characters is Dreamland (obviously) and Norfair.

tl;dr: I've been trying to figure out this dino better and it's been paying off lately. and I wish I had recordings of my recent games...

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
Also another good combo that I end up doing is when people miss the tech on a platform after a down throw/up throw under a platform, this can lead to a short hop dair.

Easy percent build. Also when you get the full percent of dair you can say "dang" haha
One I like to do in PM is wait for the tech (or no tech) and then do a rising Bair that will carry them up really high and then do an Up-air at the top for a vertical kill. It makes like a big swinging motion that's pretty cool.

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's combo game is ludicrous. I have a ton of videos to put together, but I'll post here when they're done
Extend combos with eggs, be creative with weak hits and Ledge canceling. Finish with jab resets or reads or deep Rising Nairs
Questions that are character specific:
- How would you reliably combo G&W?
- How would you reliably combo Zelda?

I struggle with floaties, and the G&W I regularly play with discovered he can just Up-B out of my combos occasionally which puts me in a bit of a bad spot since he can easily dodge my egg toss.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Dthrow to Fair works more on G&W than on Zelda, but it's reliable as long as you're immediate after throwing them. Then you can drop down with a Nair if they didn't tech, or follow the techroll or whatever. Getting another grab here or an immediate Dsmash when close to ledge can be stock. Mid percents though, if the DI is not there or bad, you can Dthrow to DownB, which kills on most stages at 80%+

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
Dthrow to Fair works more on G&W than on Zelda, but it's reliable as long as you're immediate after throwing them. Then you can drop down with a Nair if they didn't tech, or follow the techroll or whatever. Getting another grab here or an immediate Dsmash when close to ledge can be stock. Mid percents though, if the DI is not there or bad, you can Dthrow to DownB, which kills on most stages at 80%+
I'm gonna have to keep this in mind. I was getting really frustrated against a Zelda player yesterday because she was way more floaty than I remembered. Pretty sure I struggle with floaties in general :/

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
- How would you reliably combo Zelda?
Im not sure about comboing Zelda, but like I said about down throw > Down b...if they don't catch it its gonna kill them early.

Probably bairs or getting under her I think. I had played some in Houston (my first time playing a Zelda main) and I bopped them both pretty hard because of kill setups and them wanting to jump.

- How would you reliably combo G&W?
This though I'm not too sure. I play G&W myself sometimes and I would say his Dair probably beats Yoshi's u-air. Maybe DJC u-air might beat dair but I'm not too sure.

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
Im not sure about comboing Zelda, but like I said about down throw > Down b...if they don't catch it its gonna kill them early.

Probably bairs or getting under her I think. I had played some in Houston (my first time playing a Zelda main) and I bopped them both pretty hard because of kill setups and them wanting to jump.

This though I'm not too sure. I play G&W myself sometimes and I would say his Dair probably beats Yoshi's u-air. Maybe DJC u-air might beat dair but I'm not too sure.
The down-throw->down-B is always a good combo, but I'm pretty sure if they know it's coming they can easily DI it and avoid the hit. G&W I'm pretty sure can Dair through DJC Upair but I'm also not sure. All I know is that if you let up for even a second against G&W he can just Up-B away which doesn't leave him without options and can throw you into a defensive situation that sucks because of all of G&W's lingering hitboxes. I guess I just need to work on my neutral against G&W and take what combos I can get against him.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Uair if spaced well will beat Dair, but the spacing has to be close to perfect. even if you try you'll at least trade. nicking him with side hitboxes will get around his Dair too. From underneith, just Usmash unless you know the spacing, (basically tipper the tail and it'll beath the Dair) otherwise try to work around it

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I'll be putting up a combo video in the coming week or so, look forwards to that

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I have finals too, those have been my main concern lately so not much progress has been made. I have all the clips and vods recorded, it just needs to be combed through and chopped up (which is not all that fun, but I DO have some sick clips).
I'll post it like 10 times in here when it's done, rest assured.

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
I have finals too, those have been my main concern lately so not much progress has been made. I have all the clips and vods recorded, it just needs to be combed through and chopped up (which is not all that fun, but I DO have some sick clips).
Cool, good luck with your tests!

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
*Subtle bump*

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
*the beat is bumpin*

But also, I've seen more improvement in my game by just stringing DJC Nairs and Down-Tilts together against the super floaties like Luigi and Samus.

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
For anyone watching this thread, what would you do to start a combo on a spacie at low percents? Say 0%. All I know is to get a grab. After that I try up-throw to up-tilt or maybe forward-tilt. Not sure what is optimal or best. Because that doesn't keep them up in the air. Maybe after the upthrow, you could jab or djc-nair to reset them? Idk, I'd really appreciate any help on this.

@aboy

Smash Rookie
For anyone watching this thread, what would you do to start a combo on a spacie at low percents? Say 0%. All I know is to get a grab. After that I try up-throw to up-tilt or maybe forward-tilt. Not sure what is optimal or best. Because that doesn't keep them up in the air. Maybe after the upthrow, you could jab or djc-nair to reset them? Idk, I'd really appreciate any help on this.
I usually go for up-tilts and then an up-angled f-tilt when they start to drift away. I also like to neutral-b them and charge an upsmash to catch them when they pop out because they usually don't move too far. Keep in mind that this is only like, low-mid level play. I'm not sure what to do at a higher level where sdi might be more of an issue.

Last edited:

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
I usually go for up-tilts and then an up-angled f-tilt when they start to drift away. I also like to neutral-b them and charge an upsmash to catch them when they pop out because they usually don't move too far. Keep in mind that this is only like, low-mid level play. I'm not sure what to do at a higher level where sdi might be more of an issue.
i'll try to keep that in mind, thanks!

DankPancake

Smash Rookie
I've found that if they're sdi down and away it's nearly impossible to keep a consistent juggle at low percents. Better to chase the tech.

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
I managed to do some cool combos the other day on a Lucario. I managed to catch some bad DI after a few up-airs and baited out his forward air so I could follow up with my own and fast fall. Then I jab reset and down-smashed. Don't know if anyone cares about this thread anymore, but thought I'd share

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if people could contribute with videos if possible. Otherwise gifs and text are really good too!
Hey so i did this.

It was a 'lets just have a few drinks and play some PM cause this game is fun"

And added music so if you wanna mute it you can lol.

These are also CPU's, but like combos still work the same lol. :)

https://youtu.be/BapGlwb4k-k

Let me know what yall think.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Hey so i did this.

It was a 'lets just have a few drinks and play some PM cause this game is fun"

And added music so if you wanna mute it you can lol.

These are also CPU's, but like combos still work the same lol. :)

https://youtu.be/BapGlwb4k-k

Let me know what yall think.
Brutally honest review incoming.
You're focused way too much on movement. Yours is very good, don't get me wrong, but you're almost careless about it. I get that they're COMs, and you don't have to be "optimal" with your stuff, but there's no reason not to be. Very crispy movement, but the combos could've been more complex and more devastating. and the combos don't work the same at all, COMs don't smash DI as well as players do, at least not correctly.

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
Brutally honest review incoming.
You're focused way too much on movement. Yours is very good, don't get me wrong, but you're almost careless about it. I get that they're COMs, and you don't have to be "optimal" with your stuff, but there's no reason not to be. Very crispy movement, but the combos could've been more complex and more devastating. and the combos don't work the same at all, COMs don't smash DI as well as players do, at least not correctly.

Thanks for being honest.

yeah cpu's i just mainly focus on movement because in actual like tournament play im super stiff (got falconpunched on stream once and just kinda froze)

TBH i made this kinda drunk, but pushing that john away, im going to hopefully start recording stuff, my problem is just figuring out taking my laptop to record stuff lol..
but thanks, I do realize that most CPU's suck but its what im dealing with now since my community pretty much hates PM minus like 2 people.

:)

Top Bottom