• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi 1.11 Changelog Thread

x45x

Smash Cadet
Guys Yoshi cant shield DI can he? D= because i can wiggle out of Lucario charge on everyone but him. Am i wrong someone wanna test this? Im going to re-test it now

EDIT: IM TRASH JK YOU CAN GET OUT FINE

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yeah I didn't think he could do anything about it first either, it was very concerning to say the least.

Ghostgodzilla

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ghostgodzilla
Now the diddy glitch on the other hand....as if that MU wasn't bad enough for us.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Thoughts now that everyone has had some time getting used to the change?

I'm currently of the mind that Yoshi got a buff out of the shield stun and if we don't get top tournament placings it'll be very surprising. Yoshi can now be played like a safe character, which is a very stark change compared to his previously high risk high reward style.

I'm interested in other thoughts too, I feel like several matchups have changed considerably. Most notably people here will be aware of my anti-sword-user sentiments. I feel like this patch has changed that entirely, I no longer struggle with Ike/Roy/marcina.

This might warrant a thread of its own, but as it's 1.1.1 related I figure its worthwhile discussing here. This is such a major gameplay change that there are a lot of aspects of Yoshi's gameplay we ought to be discussing.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I was trying to make use of the shield stun mechanics in both tourneys I've been to recently but wasn't able to get much off of it, particularly Dair on their shield. Probably just need to play around with it more and do some testing perhaps.

x45x

Smash Cadet
I've been doing ultra late nairs and hitting shields with fair and making it safe. For fair it still requires fading so your not as punishable but it's way easier to hit shields and be safe provided you can fade it. Nair is so good right now on shield, just sweet spot it and land it low or be retreating when you land it. But I think the bigger thing is how the meta will develop. If players are aggressing more, Yoshi can land more offensive moves and reads and thats where Yoshi goes to town. So as we teach our opponents our safe shield options and scare them with throw setups, with the new patch making proactive defence the way to go we can hopefully make our opponents eat some hard hitting combos.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I've been doing ultra late nairs and hitting shields with fair and making it safe. For fair it still requires fading so your not as punishable but it's way easier to hit shields and be safe provided you can fade it. Nair is so good right now on shield, just sweet spot it and land it low or be retreating when you land it. But I think the bigger thing is how the meta will develop. If players are aggressing more,
This makes sense. I've noticed a significant boost in nairs effectiveness too. It's so significant that I've taken to fastfall nair into fastfall nair combos with jabs to fill any spacing issues. It works extremely well and even with a whiffed fastfall causing a hit on shield there aren't many that can punish us for it.

proactive defence the way to go we can hopefully make our opponents eat some hard hitting combos.
Proactive defence has always been Yoshi's best quality. His airspeed advantage against the cast allows him to pull retreating options out against all opponents. I've experienced this also, people pushing for higher aggression has led to an increase in offstage retreating fair dunks in the middle of their flow.

x45x

Smash Cadet
That and with block stun up you can get away with murder like jab 1 d tilt jab 1 down B. the down B is the mixup of course but you get the idea. Jab 1 into 0*@&$)*#& is great now.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just so you Yoshi players know, the Luma can't do anything if Yoshi grabs Rosalina. Although the Luma can perform tilts whenever Rosalina gets grabbed now, this doesn't work at all if Yoshi is the one who grabs Rosalina, so you Yoshis pretty much have the upper hand if you successfully grab Rosalina.

Last edited:

x45x

Smash Cadet
Just so you Yoshi players know, the Luma can't do anything if Yoshi grabs Rosalina. Although the Luma can perform tilts whenever Rosalina gets grabbed now, this doesn't work at all if Yoshi is the one who grabs Rosalina, so you Yoshis pretty much have the upper hand if you successfully grab Rosalina.
That is sick info! Thankyou. Ive been throwing them asap with worry. I guess Yoshi's mouth is a special grab state =D

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Haven't paid attention to some changes, why is it tilts now luma does instead of smashes during grabs shield breaks etc.
Why exclusive to Yoshi that luma just sits there doing nothing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why exclusive to Yoshi that luma just sits there doing nothing.
Beats me, because the Luma could still attack if anyone else grabbed Rosalina. This is pretty much a unique trait that Yoshi has, but not necessarily one to write home about when you consider how poor Yoshi's grab game is to begin with. But if Yoshi does grab Rosalina, you can forget about the Luma trying to interfere, because that won't be happening while Rosalina is inside Yoshi's mouth.

x45x

Smash Cadet
Its probably because Rosa can't act in Yoshi's mouth. When grabbed your in a grab state, Rosa can attack during grab state, but not throw state (the actual throw part). Yoshi's grab may count as a throw state in his mouth, or a special grab state. Yoshi air releases everyone he eats and that breaks out. But hey its useful!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Thanks so much for going and telling us this info!

I have a theory about why Yoshi's grab acts different, since he holds them in his mouth they're never actually touching the ground, unlike other characters grabs.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
This is so... weird

Last edited:

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
No wonder the little devil can't hurt me while I'm munching on Rosa flesh. Lol. I knew about this, just never thought much of it, because usually whenever it happened, Luma was right next to Yoshi.(Clipping through Yoshi's nose)

As I would pummel Rosa, Luma would also get hit by the pummel and wobble around. It seemed hilarious. XD

Last edited:

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
Wait, but isn't there other characters that hold their targets above the ground? Like anyone grabbing Jiggly? It makes sense as a theory, but could it be generalized?

I was just screwing around in training with a CPU. I think this might also apply to ZSS. It doesn't seem to apply to WFT. Any other tall characters whom might trigger such an effect? I don't have anyone immediately I can play with to check.

Actually, I thought there had been a universal change so Rosa couldn't beat grabs by mashing A with Luma several patches ago. Or was that just the throw animation?

Top Bottom