• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yelp me plz

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry, I don't know how to yelp anyone. :p

j/k

Well, I could tell you all of the trivial things like "just try things you don't usually do" or somethin, but it doesn't really help. What would help would be for you to tell us which characters/playstyles/situations you're fighting against that you've got trouble being predictable against. Then we can look at the details.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I can help you.

When you are playing, watch your opponent more than you watch yourself. Imagine you are your opponent. Try to predict how your opponent would react to something, and put yourself in a position to punish that reaction. For example, grab release. If someone gets out of Olimar's grab release and then jumps away, they can't be punished. However, most people don't know this, or don't react fast enough. So when I grab release somebody, instead of trying to immediately release an attack, I'll charge a downsmash, and more often than not they will roll right into it. It works all the time, and repeatedly, against the same people.

Another grab release mindgame I love doing is I'll let them go, and then I'll immediately grab them again without moving. Almost every time after the second grab, they roll away from me, so once they've been released I immediately start running forward and then I grab again. This is excellent when I do a grab and I see I have blue or purple 2 down my line. I can rack up pummel damage and then get the pikmin grab I want.

There are all kinds of things you can do apart from grab release. Something Typh always does to me (and like an idiot I always fall for it) is when I've KOed him and he has respawned, I'll usually run to the side of the stage. he will run at me, and so my reaction is to roll to the other side of him, and as I'm rolling he has already predicted me and is charging a forward smash in that same direction. just play around with it and see what works for you.

I've been working a LOT on minimizing my predictability. What you'll end up realizing is that in order to be unpredictable, you must be able to predict your opponent.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Ricbrown, try to jump in the air or UPB to the stage so you can outwait the invincible the guy has.

Grab release, jump away, stay and fight, pivot grab, whistle, nair, jab.
Try these out.

RichBrown

Smash Master
haha yeah, I've since learned how to get around it. sometimes I'll reverse mindgame him and just land right in front of him because I know he is gonna Fsmash in the opposite direction. I've played him so many times that our matches get really, really ridiculous (i know he lurks on these boards and he will attest to that).

Top Bottom