• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

yea i searched, shut up...

full_95

Smash Journeyman
so i searched a bit and read for a while but i haven't really seen any posts about DK's >B to giant punch killtacular move. i was fooling around with him earlier today because i just realized that he's freaking amazing and he's my new main, and i did his >B on luigi. he goes into the ground, and then i hit him with the full charged giant punch. he was still in the ground when i punched and he ends up on saturn (aka, i koed the crap out of him).

my question to you illustrious dk mainers is, does this work on people (did it on cpu)? can you >b them at decent percent and the full charged giant punch ftw? i was doing it on luigi from the center of FD with him starting at 80% (before the >B). if so, why havent i seen more dk's doing this? its such an easy way to get kills. Obviously its prolly harder to land a >b on humans, but seriously, do it more. from what ive seen this is full of win.

edit: oh yea, this was the reason i asked the question. i remember in melee that if the person was in the ground, you had to wait for them to be released from the ground before you could do any knockback. apparently not so in brawl?

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
I do it all the time. Giant punch is for the win! Obviously a lot harder to do on humans because of its windup, though. It usually takes a spot-dodge or a roll prediction to pull it off against anyone good, but it's still pretty freakin' sweet. IDK why you don't see it a lot

Veggi

Smash Champion
Usually I do it when I see someone vulnerable, like when a space animal uses their side b to recover, I would move barely out of range and then side b. I think it also works well right when MK comes out of any of his annoying specials. Pretty much anything like that, or when I'm trying to break someone's shield, because it destroys shields.

Other than that, it's really hard to hit people with, so sometimes I just find it easier to throw the punch by itself. About the computer thing though, it seems like people actually take longer to get out of it than computers. I could be wrong though.

full_95

Smash Journeyman
@ moblin: i was saying the side b to giant punch combo. if you side b them into the ground (like where they get stuck in the ground) and hit them with a full charge giant punch (even if still stuck in the ground), they die at decent percents. i wasnt talking about the giant punch alone. obviously thats a key to any dk's arsenal. also, i live in golden, just up I-70 off exit 356. where in denver do you abode?

basically, i think it's inescapable. though it is difficult to land a side b, dk is gonna start becoming rediculous when some one gets good at it . he's already sick in brawl, but i think this combo will become huge in the future. ive seen it in a combo vid, i dont remember whos tho, but never seen it done in a match. dunno, maybe i havent watched enough vids.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Play some good DKs, they use sideB all the time. It's a difficult move to land but you can mindgame into it or punish lag with it. I like to fake bairs into aerial sideB.

Cool thing against Ike-- if you shield quickdraw, you can ALWAYS get a sideB in. Shield the move, take a TINY step forward and you'll be able to squeeze in the sideB before Ike recovers from lag.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
DK's Side-B is a beast. It has some windup, but it's surprisingly easy to land in the heat of battle if you don't overuse it. Great against rolling opponents, as you can hit them out of the roll if you predict correctly. And the best part is, it chews shields like none other. So if your opponent shields it, especially if you've been pressuring their shield a little with Bairs, Tilts, and Jabs, it will likely break their shield, leaving them just as vulnerable.
You don't even NEED a fully-charged Windup Punch. DK's Side-smash, uncharged, will kill just about any character at 70% from the center of final D. So Side-Bing at 60ish is usually fatal.

full_95

Smash Journeyman
lets just keep this as our little secret then fellas. haha. this is awesome, ever since i started playin DK i have a renewed drive to play brawl. i was losing it for a while, but its back now baby.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I use >B a lot. At early % (0-30) I use jab combo or Utilt since they can escape everything else. 30-60% I use Dsmash (charged slightly towards the 60% end), after 60-70% I usually go for Fsmash, sometimes they can mash out, sometimes not. I like to save punch for SA counters instead of wasting it as a free hit, just because Fsmash does the job just as well, and if I do happen to whiff if they mash out, I haven't wasted a Punch.

Awex

Smash Lord
If I get a side b at low percent up b on the ground is awesome, it does like 30% or around there and like traps them in it. try it, bury them in the ground at 0-30 and do up b while their stuck

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Most good players will be able to mash out of of >B to UpB below 30%. Higher than 30% you can usually hit them, but it knocks back too far to effectively trap them in it.

Top Bottom