• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yay! No Advanced Techniques, or are there?

Sanji

Smash Apprentice
sigh... you give a bad name to the casual playing community out there.

you really dont have a brain do you?

this goes for all the people out there who think like this guy... what is wrong with you people? advanced techniques might be technically glitches, but both players can do them and take skill to perform. ITS NOT ANY KIND OF CHEAT, it just adds more skill to the game.

if it werent for advanced techniques or as this idiot put them , "glitches", smash games would simply be a dumb fighting game where you just exchange blows back and forth. everyone has their own opinions, but this is the truth, and what you said is wrong. god i hate people who hate on advanced techniques. pure ******* who think they are cool since they have no other way to gain any kind of fame in the smash community because they suck at the game and refuse to learn advanced techniques because they are afraid they would sstill suck with them....

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Yeah, go ahead and "lol" at the title. lol
OK so Melee's infamous wave-dashing, L-Canceling, e.t.c are officially gone (to me this is good news) but I'm worried about something else.
So many people are working desperately to learn Brawl's "advanced techniques." By my standards "advanced techniques" (that considerably change game play) are considered glitches and "a glitch is a term used by [video game] players to indicate a programming error which results in behavior not intended by the programmers."
In every video game, there are glitches, I just hope Brawl doesn't have too many gameplay-changing ones like Melee did.
I really don't want to see any more characters sliding around the screen every 1/2 second anymore! Nintendo needs to make some sort of updating system for NWC like Microsoft does for Xbox Live, to FIX GLITCHES. This would allow developers to fix bugs or glitches in a game when they are discovered. :B Yeah, I'm also going to be taking the liberty to say that when my friends insisted that I should learn the advanced techniques for Melee, I refused! Why would I want to play a game the way it wasn't intended? Skill isn't based on abusing the game in a way to cause a "glitch" so you could be "mad pro."
This is how Brawl should be played and how Melee used to be played:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kBpCXNnqD6A

I don't mean to offend anyone, I just want to state my opinions towards this topic.
Either way... -puts on a Fire Fighter suit- :B
For the life of me, I can't understand why losers like you would come to a COMPETITIVE Smash community and bring up this crap about how the game was meant to be played and how everything is a glitch and the rest of that bs.

Who gives a f*** about how it was meant to be played? Who gives a f*** that wavedashing is a glitch (and it really isn't).
Advanced techs were great in Melee, unintentional or otherwise, because they allowed the game to be played at a more competitive level.
If you don't like competitive Smash, then go back to f***ing Gamefaqs, but don't come here and tell everyone how you think it should be played.

LeuMasT

Smash Apprentice
*facepalm*

If I recall the only advanced techniques that were truly "glitches" weren't very useful, things like Ness's YYG and all. Meanwhile, things like wavedashing, while certainly not recognized by the game's creators, were part of the mechanics because they had a system for when airdodges touched the ground, etc.

Brawl will have its advanced techniques, they just haven't been discovered yet.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Developers aren't all knowing, and competitive players can and often do influence the development of games. A good example of this is Guilty Gear. If something is abusive or breaks the game the competitive community bans it. To come to Smashboards and say these techniques are anything but balanced after its been analyzed for over 6 years through tournament rules and standards is both arrogant and annoying. If you don't know what you're talking about, keep these "Abusing glitches =/= Pro" comments to yourself.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman

this goes for all the people out there who think like this guy... what is wrong with you people? advanced techniques might be technically glitches, but both players can do them and take skill to perform. ITS NOT ANY KIND OF CHEAT, it just adds more skill to the game.

if it werent for advanced techniques or as this idiot put them , "glitches", smash games would simply be a dumb fighting game where you just exchange blows back and forth. everyone has their own opinions, but this is the truth, and what you said is wrong. god i hate people who hate on advanced techniques. pure ******* who think they are cool since they have no other way to gain any kind of fame in the smash community because they suck at the game and refuse to learn advanced techniques because they are afraid they would sstill suck with them....
sigh... you give a bad name to the competitive playing community out there.

you really don't have a brain do you?

Smash Bros. is an INCREDIBLEY FUN game, no matter how you play it.

You really need to calm down and not be a gigantic ******* next time someone says they think wavedashing and such are glitches. Guess what? They are glitches. I love wavedashing. It's a fun technique. Am I gonna miss it? You bet. But I'm willing to admit it was a glitch.

DoritoXI

Smash Cadet
I agree with OP, i'd rather just play the game like it's meant to be played not have all these glitches that people need to win. Go ahead and call me a Noob now, but don't come to the boards crying when brawl comes and your losing cause you don't have all your Advanced techniques.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
What's the point of learning anything new about the game if people like you are just going to say "it's a glitch" about everything new techique/strategy/whatever that pops up? Should we just forward smash each other back and forth until the end of time? It doesn't matter how the game was "intended to be played", do you really need the game designers to hold your hand the entire way? Go out and explore the possibilities for yourself instead of wasting time complaining about it.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
You really need to calm down and not be a gigantic ******* next time someone says they think wavedashing and such are glitches. Guess what? They are glitches. I love wavedashing. It's a fun technique. Am I gonna miss it? You bet. But I'm willing to admit it was a glitch.
What I don't get is when people brag about some dumb ego-boost by saying "Pros play the game the way its intended, without cheap little glitches." You just come off like an annoying purist who can't accept that the competitive scene is actually getting somewhere.

It happens to every game out there, but for some reason Smash gets the most hate. Apparently we take video games too seriously, but its everyone else who gets so stuck-up saying that AT's take no skill and that we abuse them like some kind of godsend showstopper to win money. Its ridiculous!

Glitch or not, if it wasn't fair game we would have banned it by now.

DTR

Smash Journeyman
I agree with OP, i'd rather just play the game like it's meant to be played not have all these glitches that people need to win. Go ahead and call me a Noob now, but don't come to the boards crying when brawl comes and your losing cause you don't have all your Advanced techniques.
lol. must i say more?

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
You don't have to use advanced techniques, no one is forcing you. I don't know why you don't want anyone else to take advantage of them though, isn't that being petty and selfish?

Keep these half brained arguments to your own circle of friends. You don't go up to people in the NBA and tell them they should remove dunks because it is not the way the game was meant to be played.

Games evolve, period. Quit trying to press B.

Vijin

Smash Ace
Why would I want to play a game the way it wasn't intended? Skill isn't based on abusing the game in a way to cause a "glitch" so you could be "mad pro."
Did somebody tell you that a higher level of play wasn't intended?
Personally, I couldn't care less if it was a glitch. Fact is, they're there, and there's really no excuse NOT to use them. But casuals whine and complain that they're unfair and shouldn't be in the game so nobody should use them... that's like seeing a 100 dollar bill on the floor and not picking it up because technically it should have been in that persons wallet.

Besides, the removal of these techs aren't going to make you any better. You'll still lose, except there'll be another excuse we get to hear.
Back to Gamefaqs with you.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
OK so Melee's infamous wave-dashing, L-Canceling, e.t.c are officially gone (to me this is good news) but I'm worried about something else.
So many people are working desperately to learn Brawl's "advanced techniques." By my standards "advanced techniques" (that considerably change game play) are considered glitches and "a glitch is a term used by [video game] players to indicate a programming error which results in behavior not intended by the programmers."
In every video game, there are glitches, I just hope Brawl doesn't have too many gameplay-changing ones like Melee did.
I really don't want to see any more characters sliding around the screen every 1/2 second anymore! Nintendo needs to make some sort of updating system for NWC like Microsoft does for Xbox Live, to FIX GLITCHES. This would allow developers to fix bugs or glitches in a game when they are discovered. :B Yeah, I'm also going to be taking the liberty to say that when my friends insisted that I should learn the advanced techniques for Melee, I refused! Why would I want to play a game the way it wasn't intended? Skill isn't based on abusing the game in a way to cause a "glitch" so you could be "mad pro."

I don't mean to offend anyone, I just want to state my opinions towards this topic.
From Sakurai himself

Sakurai
Right. The more effort you invest, the bigger the payoff in terms of fun. This is true of exchanging Snapshots too; players come up with forms of game play that we would never think of on our own. In this way, our resources are limited only by the number of our players, and it would be a waste not to let players enjoy the ideas of other players.

Iwata
I agree. Nowadays, just looking at the Check Mii Out Channel shows how the ideas of our players outpace our own.

Sakurai
Right.

Iwata
I’m truly impressed by Wii players. They come up with ways to play and use the Wii that would never occur to us.

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/ssbb/vol3_page3.jsp

So you dumb "ducks" can quit the "the way it was meant to be played" crap.

Sanji

Smash Apprentice
People arent nubs for not using advanced techniques, people are nubs for shunning them.

Its like a guy said earlier what do you want us to do just forward smash until someone wins?

No. Maybe advanced techniques (wavedashing, L cancelling) were put in by sakurai himself and intended to be used. How do you know? Have you ever asked Sakurai about this? No, im pretty sure you have not.

Or maybe on the other hand, a move like Marth's F-smash in Melee wasnt "intended" to have such long range. How would you ever go about finding this out? Stop complaining about what is intended and what isnt. Even if Sakurai himself said the game was intended to be played one way or another, who cares?! Does Sakurai control our emotions and everything we do in life? No. He just created a game for us to play and have fun with. We, the smashers, created the competitive scene by ourselves. We didnt ask for input from the casuals, and we dont want it. If you dont like our rules, we couldnt care less. But its when you TELL US whats wrong that crosses the line.
The word "fair" is very abused. What would a fair game be to a person of lower skill than his opponent? Dropping down to his level? That would be the true definition of fair, because its not fair if one person is better than the other.

Advanced Techniques... theres nothing wrong with them stop whining.

DannyMDEFactor

Smash Cadet
Well I almost posted a complete hardcore essay as a reply to everyone who replied but at the last second, I decided not to. lol There's no point, I'll just do everyone a favor and
Shut the Hell up.
I know, I know, people want to hear what they want to hear, forgive me for trying to state my opinions. Just think about this...
You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write '**** you' right under your nose.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Well I almost posted a complete hardcore essay as a reply to everyone who replied but at the last second, I decided not to. lol There's no point, I'll just do everyone a favor and I know, I know, people want to hear what they want to hear, forgive me for trying to state my opinions. Just think about this...
You are the exact reason why traditional fighter tourney players cannot take us seriously.

The real question is, does Sakurai care if these advance techs are in or not?

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the competative smash community is taking a step back with all this "play the game how it was intended" crap.

Micahc

Smash Ace

Oh sweet Jesus, not again... I thought we where passed all this crap...

180OP

Smash Journeyman
Original Poster said:
Why would I want to play a game the way it wasn't intended
Who are you to say how a game is to be played? Programmers probably intended one way, the gamers thought of something else.

Gameplay EVOLVES as new strategems are discovered. Why does this evolution takes place? BECAUSE it increases the competition. This makes the game more competitive and fun. Difficulty is increased.

Ever heard of the phrase "Think outside the box"?

IronGorilla

Smash Cadet
Someone please lock this thread. It is useless and there is probably another one on the first page. If not, someone will make another one soon. And it will also be locked.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
Let me start off by saying that I do not wavedash. It's not because I'm against it, but rather I never cared enough to learn to use it.

That being said, wavedashing is not a glitch. It was something programmed into the game on purpose. If you're going to label it something, call it an abuse of the physics.

every good fighting game has advanced techniques and anybody who wants to be competitive in the game will learn them. Quit complaining about how other people play a game. Play it your own way and have fun.

okiyama

Smash Ace
*facepalm*

If I recall the only advanced techniques that were truly "glitches" weren't very useful, things like Ness's YYG and all. Meanwhile, things like wavedashing, while certainly not recognized by the game's creators, were part of the mechanics because they had a system for when airdodges touched the ground, etc.

Brawl will have its advanced techniques, they just haven't been discovered yet.
Tell me you're joking about YYG not being useful.

Seriously you have no idea how many mindgames that can be worked with and how effective it is to have a thunder jacket. For example let's say Simna hits you with an Up smash then down a DAIR then thunders into the ledge. You would assume he has a thunder jacket. But what if he did it wrong on purpose to go in near you, have your run then be able to combo you?

Don't knock it till you can do it consitently enough that you can pull it off easily in a real match.

PS: Being on the ledge with a spike jacket is VERY lolful. When they just try to recover then WHAM get shot right down.

Smash Ace
Just to put this into perspective, I am a casual player. I think that WD is a glitch. I also don't care that it is a glitch, and even use it from time to time. I'm not all that good at it, but hey, I'm learning.

Please, OP, don't try to dictate how other people play this game. If you are having a Melee or Brawl party, you can set the rules, as long as you understand that the only wrong way to play a game is to not have fun.

Oh, and by the way, "glitch" is a fuzzy word. By the most strict definition it is a spurious electronic signal. Clearly, the YYG is not a glitch by that definition merely because it is repeatable. The same holds for the IC Freeze Glitch. Adopt any looser definition and there is room for interpretation. Yes, I would call WD a glitch, but very clearly shffling, DI, teching, L-canceling, and many other techniques are not. Whether or not something is a glitch doesn't actually make a difference.

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
What's the point of learning anything new about the game if people like you are just going to say "it's a glitch" about everything new techique/strategy/whatever that pops up? Should we just forward smash each other back and forth until the end of time? It doesn't matter how the game was "intended to be played", do you really need the game designers to hold your hand the entire way? Go out and explore the possibilities for yourself instead of wasting time complaining about it.
pretty must the gist of it all.

Smash Ace
Never mind, misread something. Sorry. I thought that Smashboards had listed my post under someone else's name, which would have been very odd.

jacer

Smash Cadet
NNID
thejacer87

100% agree... i love u now... not that way .. but the heterosexual way

Smash Ace
Aye, that match is truly beautiful. It really is how Brawl was meant to be played, because both players were having a blast, which is the entire point. Nonetheless, I'm not going to stop wall-teching because they didn't do it much.

EDIT: ninja'd. I was agreeing with dammets.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Waaaay too many threads on this.

Can't we just have one "Advanced Techs are out" thread? You know, for all the dumb idiots who knee-jerk without reading up on the myriad of Brawl techniques discovered already.

Top Bottom