• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ya'll knew this was comin: YLink V Jiggz

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
So, a friend of mine decided that he was Armada the other day and picked up Young Link to fight my Jiggz... he just watched the Armada v Hbox video a million times to learn the MU... But how the hell does Jiggz fight him? All we saw was the Box gettin stomped, and none of the MU threads say anything about YLink v Jiggz...
So what do? Any suggestions? I mean, I already have sort of an idea... If you pough (pronounced "puff") it out, it's extremely possible, I'm just afraid someone who doesn't suck *** will CP YL and **** me to death.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Yeah I've had the same fear ever since watching that video.

My current strategy is when they CP Y. Link

cry :(

KingKAH

Smash Rookie
So, a friend of mine decided that he was Armada the other day and picked up Young Link to fight my Jiggz... he just watched the Armada v Hbox video a million times to learn the MU... But how the hell does Jiggz fight him? All we saw was the Box gettin stomped, and none of the MU threads say anything about YLink v Jiggz...
So what do? Any suggestions? I mean, I already have sort of an idea... If you pough (pronounced "puff") it out, it's extremely possible, I'm just afraid someone who doesn't suck *** will CP YL and **** me to death.
Simple solution would be to pick up a character yourself such as Marth as a secondary. I believe YL struggles against Marth (CG's etc) and it doesn't take to long to learn. Can never hurt to have a secondary character. :)

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
Sounds good, hopefully I'll get to see how Hungrybox has been training against YL at CEO. He might not wanna reveal it until he plays Armada again tho.

:phone:

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I heard Bowser was an excellent counter for YL he's so fat he occupies so much space that yl would have nowhere to run

username12345678

Smash Apprentice
Sounds good, hopefully I'll get to see how Hungrybox has been training against YL at CEO. He might not wanna reveal it until he plays Armada again tho.

:phone:

he said he hasn't played VS young link since well...pound a couple of weeks ago. :(

hopefully mindgames

other wise somebody's gotta be ready to pitch a tent.

_Xanatos_

Smash Apprentice
C'mon Puffs! We can win this matchup easily if we just think about it. There are so many ways to beat Young Link if you know the matchup.

Ylink has those gay projectiles, but we can be just as gay.

First off, patience will win this! Play carefully and don't rush in there like an idiot. Especially if he has a bomb out, keep your distance. Wait for him to throw, and get in his face before he has a chance to use anymore projectiles.

Secondly, Ylink can camp with bombs from a distance, but when he does, just catch them. L/R + A = free bomb for puff.

And all of Puff's aerials stop the boomerang. You just have to see it coming. But the boomerang takes forever to come out, so just watch Ylink. When you see the boomerang animation start, get ready and smack it right back at him.

Pay attention to when he has a bomb too. Ylink likes to hold the bomb in his shield and wait. When he is shielding with a bomb, just grab him.

Or if you do an aerial on shield, space it and land far enough behind him. Ylink can bomb throw OoS or shield grab you from far away with his hookshot if you land in front of him. If you land near him, he'll just jump OoS and throw the bomb down.

Now for the good stuff. You can make this little boy your *****. Puff can get combos and rests galore on Ylink.

Nairs and bairs work wonders.
Nair -> fsmash is great.
You can wall of pain him.
Uair combos pretty well.
Uair, utilt both combo to rest.

Just like with sheik, when you're on a stage with platforms, just dthrow. If he lands on a platform, just rest.
Also, if Ylink misses a grab, it's a free rest. So shield plenty, and bait the grab.

When edgegaurding, just edgehog, and force him to Up-B onto the stage. Be patient and don't go out after him when he's close to the stage.

Pick stages with high ceilings, and ban stages with lots of room and platforms to run around on.
For example, FoD is great, and Rainbow cruise is terrible.

So just take the time to understand the Ylink matchup! It's easy if you know what you're doing, so just be patient. Don't let him force you to act.

Metà

Smash Master
Am I the only person who thought Hbox was playing terribly that set? Idk if he was just scared or something, but he seemed to be missing so many opportunities to punish Armada, and ran right into all his traps. I mean, I don't have that much experience fighting YL, but it seemed pretty obvious to me what Armada was doing. Does anyone else feel this way?

YL vs Puff isn't that bad. Sure, he can run away and throw **** at you, but he's still a god d@mn low tier. Just get in his face and don't let him maintain stage control. His only legit kill move on you is down-air, and it's laggy as hell, so as long as you don't let him get his bomb set-ups then you should be surviving to 150% like every stock.

Young Link blows.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
This match-up is in Puff's favour easily, Armada is just really ****ing good and caught HBox unprepared.

Just play against YL carefully, only approach when he is vulnerable (quite often) and catch bombs whenever possible.

Metà

Smash Master
I don't think catching bombs is the answer. Even if you manage to catch them, her throw is very bad, and usually just doing one of her broken aerial moves is better than throwing a bomb at him. Plus, if you miss the catch, you may have just put yourself in a bad position.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Puff beats YL

Armada's YL beats my Puff

because he's kinda the best in the world so yeah

simple math my friends

I don't think you can use Armada in any statistical argument about smash since he's about as much as an outlier as it gets,

Massive

Smash Champion
why don't u tell them how to beat yl then
He basically did:

I don't think you can use Armada in any statistical argument about smash since he's about as much as an outlier as it gets,
I think it could be easily argued that the only player in the world who could beat Hbox with YL was Armada, and since they are not likely to play each other on such a grand scale again, that entire matchup will probably just drift into history as one of those weird quirky things that can happen in melee.

Tags

Smash Cadet
Good luck at Evo Hungrybox if you do get the unfortunate destiny to face Armada. That must have sucked knowing Armada is going to Evo last second lol.

snex

Smash Master
switch characters. YL owns puff all day long and always has. there is no direction you can attack from that YL doesnt out-prioritize you and he has projectiles if you try to camp.

Top Bottom