• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ya know what Sonic deserves...

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Firstly, Fire and Flames is getting a bit old. How about bringing back to roots of screaming guitar action. Iron Maiden's Two Minutes to Midnight, methinks. Just because it's awesome, fast and kickass. Not unlike Sonic. (And may have underground connections to the devil.)

Secondly...Spuds? I don't get it.

Thirdly, I don't think anyone's gotten good enough with Sonic (Or at brawl in general) to make a combo vid. Patience.

And fourthly...Did you just double-post a new topic?

listentomook

Smash Apprentice
sigh im tired of scrubs pulling out dragonforce only cuz they play guitar hero...go listen to music and make music instead of wasting time on a plastic guitar...

Ps... listen to fury of the storm...much better song...specially the solo that start halfway and goes to the end of the song.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Considering CF is probably one of the worst characters now, I guess Tony really gave him the "what-for". Good Sonic, but why link to a match against a ****ty character?

Sonic deserves to never have a DragonForce combo video, or crappy threads /r/ing this and petitioning for defunct voice actors, or speculating stupid **** like "If Shadow were in Brawl..."

Seriously, let's clean up this forum. There's a reason people hate Sonic, and it's the fans.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Than some sorry guy given stupid lines and cookie-cutter personality quirks to make the character even MORE identifiable for children? Than fans that make people HATE the character? Than people spamming a forum with utter garbage, when it's meant to be used to discuss gameplay mechanics, or at least histories and the like? All this thread is, and soooooooo many more are, is stupid fanboyism.

Yeah, Sonic definitely deserves better than the BS that his fans put out. Seriously, you can even look at the quality of the fanart/fiction when compared to anything else. Sonic fans publish ****, with a very thin margin putting out very high quality stuff. South Park fans are more adept than the drooling masses that call themselves Sonic fans.

As I said before, and am VERY likely to repeat, Sonic is hated because of his fans. When people come to these forums, it shouldn't be a rehash of SonicFan123's AOL Homepage, GFAQs, or ****ty gaiaonline. If you want to spam stupid stuff, go to one of the aforementioned. If you want to talk about Sonic in Brawl, this is the place to post.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
No.

InterimofZeal is entirely correct. Sonic fans have some of the WORST bull**** in years. They don't even notice Jason Griffith stopped sucking, or the fact that many Sonic haters lump his fans with the psycho furries. They fail THAT badly.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yeah, Sonic definitely deserves better than the BS that his fans put out. Seriously, you can even look at the quality of the fanart/fiction when compared to anything else. Sonic fans publish ****, with a very thin margin putting out very high quality stuff. South Park fans are more adept than the drooling masses that call themselves Sonic fans.
I'm a hardcore Sonic fan, but unlike the brainwashed masses of "those" fans, I'm in total agreement with this post. Many Sonic fans really need to get over themselves when it comes to these matters, and cut the crap.

They don't even notice Jason Griffith stopped sucking, or the fact that many Sonic haters lump his fans with the psycho furries. They fail THAT badly.
This is about the only statement I disagree with (the first part at least). Griffith really isn't that good for the voice of Sonic, especially compared to what he had before, and I personally find it mortifying (Griffith over Drummond is like having some other scrub besides Hayter for Snake's voice). It's not the actual voice that disturbs me though, it's the rhythm that he speaks in. It never changes regardless of the situation the character is in.

However, over the years I've grown attatched to the voice, so any switch would be awkward. I would however love to see Drummond make a comeback of any kind though.

They fail THAT badly.
Ouch. Don't lump all the hardcore fans together. Only about 90% spew nothing but suck out of their traps. Kinda makes me feel targeted just for loving the blue blur.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Writing minor, or even major =/= good writer.

Still, given the general level of Sonic fanfics/fanart, I think it's safe to say you're in the upper 10%. Srsly.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't mind the Drummond/Griffith difference that much, but I really dislike Griffith's Shadow. His voice was way better in SA2/SH. Of course, everything about the franchise was better before Shadow the Hedgehog.

I really liked Knuckles' old VA too. Now he just sounds so generic.

timidshadow

Smash Apprentice
Sonic diserves a new pair of shoes(Sonic Adventure 2 had them). I mean geez, afyer burning rubber for several years you'd think he'd ripp through those like flimsy Converse(not meant for running).

FMArthur

Smash Cadet
Sonic deserves to have a 'spinoff' series that retcons the existence of any character introduced after the release of the Dreamcast.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic deserves to have a 'spinoff' series that retcons the existence of any character introduced after the release of the Dreamcast.
While I agree with what you've said, I'll fight to the death for Blaze's introduction. Sonic Rush (and Adventure) was soo good, and her character wasn't blown out of proportion like Silver.

Oddly enough, to me she represents another variation of Sonic. I mean, she even has the same pattern on her shoes.

You know what Sonic really needs?

A development team that doesn't have his name in it. Oh, and no voice actors. Body language in cutscenes would seem more effective. I mean, look at Subspace Emissary.

-----

You know, I'm counting down to the day that some other company makes a Sonic game that blows all Sonic games (yes, even StH3&K) out of the water. It will happen eventually right....

right?

fouxs2

Smash Cadet
Reading this topic's first page makes me cry tears of hope, I'm a hardcore Sonic fan, and I agree, his fans are the worst, knowing nothing from the series itself in general.... It saddens me, the blue blur deserves soooo much more than the crappy fans he gets.... I shall become the best Sonic player in the world and try and make him justice!

Although I do enjoy through the fire and flames, it get's old, fast..... I'd much rather have something along the lines of Sonata Arctica for Sonic....

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
Considering CF is probably one of the worst characters now, I guess Tony really gave him the "what-for". Good Sonic, but why link to a match against a ****ty character?

Sonic deserves to never have a DragonForce combo video, or crappy threads /r/ing this and petitioning for defunct voice actors, or speculating stupid **** like "If Shadow were in Brawl..."

Seriously, let's clean up this forum. There's a reason people hate Sonic, and it's the fans.
Go wash your mouth out with soap right now young man/lady.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
zeal, still at a friend's house:

lawl, chances are I'm older than a large portion of the Sonic posters/players.

Fouxs, while your enthusiasm is great and all, it's overdramatic claims like that that contribute to the Sonic hate.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
You know, I'm counting down to the day that some other company makes a Sonic game that blows all Sonic games (yes, even StH3&K) out of the water. It will happen eventually right....

right?
I can only hope. I LOVE Sonic, and have done since the very first game. I prefered Sonic before they started introducing pointless new characters (Blaze is my limit) and they started spanning into other genres, Sonic Riders for example.
I want a classic level-based platformer. Nice 3D levels, variety in scenery and enemies. And collecting the Chaos Emeralds should be the main focus of the game, not saving the world or anything (though I loved SA1+2)
A boy can dream, though, a boy can dream..

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i just feel horrible that i love sonic so much, but at the same time i am scared ****less when ever i think aboout playing a sonic game that came out after the dreamcast died. and Izzy and kuja are only partially right. ppl h8 sonic because his fans are pre-pubescent, opinionated, ignorant or psycho furries, or a combo of the three. but also because he hasnt had a game to earn a collective 5 out of 10 from anybody since SA2.

but all this forum has done is remind me why i loved sonic in the first place. because of his games and his personality. and on a sidenote... thats why he has to talk. link never talks b/c hes always on his own and never has any companions as well as the fact that he was made from the silent hero archetype. sonic however was created with an exuberant personality that needs more expression than just battle crys and the like . not to mention te fact that he gets a new partner in every game he shows up in.

but all this boils down to my point. sonic fans as a collective need to grow up and except the real world.
his games have sucked they took away from what made sonic great but that doesnt change the fact that he is an awesome personality that will continue to persevere until that StH3&K killer comes and while we shouldnt buy all of the games that come out untill than b/c that will just further the BS we shouldnt drop him either... at that point we wont be furries anymore and the devs. will decided to not make his games complete an*s

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
...and so nobody's played any 2-D Sonic game post 1994?

See, this is why the Sonic fandom has so much nostalgia***gotry. When they DO make a good Sonic game, it doesn't sell and or the fans are all like "BAAAAWWWW IT'S NOT A REHASH OF S3&K BAAAAWWWWW" Drives me NUTS.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
...and so nobody's played any 2-D Sonic game post 1994?

See, this is why the Sonic fandom has so much nostalgia***gotry. When they DO make a good Sonic game, it doesn't sell and or the fans are all like "BAAAAWWWW IT'S NOT A REHASH OF S3&K BAAAAWWWWW" Drives me NUTS.
Wait, what?

Are you talking directly to the people who replied? Because as a whole I doubt most of those who've replied to this topic have not played a single game after '94.

Infact, I've played every Sonic game since Sonic the Hedgehog 1, except Sonic Pinball Party, and Sonic Rivals 1-2. It's more coincidence that the best Sonic games were the earliest games created. It's not "nostalgia***gotry", but more just commonly well known fact. That doesn't mean that there wasn't some awesome post-genesis games though. Sonic Rush 1, Sonic Rush Aventure, Sonic Advanced 2, Sonic Adventure 1, and Sonic Adventure 2 were all fantastic games.

Also, did anyone here even mention wanting a rehashed S3&K?

You're so crazy insane. It's like you're trying to pick a fight or something.

Sonic also deserves Chao-Garden. That was just awesome..

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Of course, but does anyone complaining about the state of Sonic actually mention these games or think about them in their blanket statements? No. How can I tell that anyone played Sonic Advance 3 if they make statements like "Sonic hasn't had a good game since the Dreamcast died"?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Of course, but does anyone complaining about the state of Sonic actually mention these games or think about them in their blanket statements? No. How can I tell that anyone played Sonic Advance 3 if they make statements like "Sonic hasn't had a good game since the Dreamcast died"?
No, but those who do at least have some sort of proof to back up their opinion, like I just did in my previous post.

Sometimes it's very dangerous to assume though.

Also, it's not just the fans either. Although I can sort of understand why Anti-fans are so irritated by Sonic fanboys/girls, the way they react can also be seen as childish and "psycho". The way they act is almost, if not just as bad, as the way the 90% of Sonic-fanbase act.

Both sides really need to calm down, find a neutral zone, and compromise.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Both sides really need to calm down, find a neutral zone, and compromise.
Didn't work in Iraq. Won't work here.

Now that I think of it, the Sonic fanbase IS the Iraq of videogame world. Think about it. You've got the Classic-Era sect, complaining that the new games are an unholy stain on the face of the planet and that Sonic won't be any good until his eyes turn black again. Then you've got the modern fans, who react with hostility and fury to the former. Way over there in the corner is the SatAM faction, who want Sally to show up on the 360. Also the Archie Series. And of course, every character has it's own little splinter cell of diehard fanatics, who just love breathing fire at their neighbors, there's a massive argument about Chao Garden, the people who like Shadow are getting shot at by people who don't, people are throwing their own fan characters in every corner of the internet that they can fit them in, the Anti-Fans are running around, setting off flame wars every three or four seconds and absolutely NO ONE likes Captain Whisker.

It goes further than that, too. No one outside of Iraq likes Iraq. No one outside of Sonic likes Sonic. There's as many politically incorrect political cartoons making fun of middle eastern luminaries as there are teeny-boppers on myspace. Not unlike the wealth of people zapping Sonic over forums. Hell, there was a bit where the white house got blown up in Shadow! Sonic is the Saddam of nextgen!

...DID I JUST EXPLAIN SECRET RINGS?!

/Paint thinner induced sense of humor.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
You're looking too much into it.

It's simple. The highly pushed titles are the ones on Next Gen Consoles, and we have a team that's reusing the same engine over and over again-- because the corporate offices wish them to do so. SOJ isn't really the best judge of anything. It used to be joint between SOA and SOJ but now... well... things haven't been the best.

Sonic isn't a character that'll die. I think a lot of people here didn't really feel the pain when Saturn was out. I had a Saturn. Imagine going through 6 years of crap when the only thing close to a proper Sonic Game was Sonic R. SONIC R

and then remember when SA came along? Do you remember the Dreamcast, which I still hold to be the best system launch ever? Because it had actual GAMES you could play instead of "Wait for the long run lol?"

History repeats. And you're going to have problems with these people for a bit, we have been for about 6 years, since 2002. They refused to improve the SA engines when they ported them, and gave people an entirely wrong perception of how those games were played(and even if you liked them, go get a DC and play them there. Control feels a lot more responsive). SO those got screwed. And then because of it Magazines kept asking Sega to change the series back to "classic" style. A style which is ********, because the entire purpose of Sonic up to that point had been progression. But none the less, they completely forgot the attitude and the style of those Adventure games and Advance games, and decided to go with Sonic Heroes, which isn't a bad game in it's own right, but is NOT a game fitting of the character.

And then we had Shadow, which was dumb. Then Sonic 360, which looked promising, but HALF WAY through development, Naka left to form his own company, and we were left with Iizuka, who's lost almost all his credibility by this point. He split the team in HALF, and the HALF he kept had no idea what they were doing, but were forced to put out the game in a time period that... sucked.

But it all comes down to marketing. They didn't Market Sonic Rush as much as they did Shadow and they suffered for it. They didn't push Secret Rings as much as S360... and after how long they're finally being smart about it? SRA was pushed decently enough, to make it an Event Sonic Game, and they're being very careful with what they put out.

I have complete faith in Bioware on the RPG. They're going the SA route, redefining the Game's attitude and style-- while not regressing back to familiar territory. People say Sonic games are all about speed. That's only half the formula. It's about attitude and vibrance too. Something Sonic has been lacking, something he lost on the 360/ps3, and something which it looks like he'll progress back to regaining with the RPG.

Top Bottom