• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox Legends ClimaX: The Xbox Series X/S's 'Ultimate' Smash (Nominating Final Base Game Content (Stages))

Should we include 4th Party Content

• Total voters

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Job 40 - The Ur-Didact

The main villain of Halo 4 and the leader of the Promethean forces. The Forerunners are an incredibly important aspect to the Halo franchise and it would be remiss to not include the one that actually plays an integral role in one of the games.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Steve_(Minecraft) (1).png

Steve
Xbox own Minecraft now. There's no way they don't try and add Minecraft characters to this game. I'm not even a MC fan but I appreciate how big this would be.

also we should probably decidde if we're doing cuts

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 40: Alice (American McGee's Alice)

Alice_Liddell_AMA.png

I know that Alice counts as 3rd party character and she's a public domain character

And i forgot to submit her to Xbox Legends 360

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Job 40: Alice (American McGee's Alice)

I know that Alice counts as 3rd party character and she's a public domain character

And i forgot to submit her to Xbox Legends 360
Sorry but i think i might have to reject this one. Even though this interpretation of Alice originates from games the character herself debuted & is most well-known outside of gaming. We previously discussed & voted against 4th party reps.

I think ill let this job go on till next week since i know some people are busy this week with the holidays.

However i do want to open up discussion reguarding cuts as mentioned by D darkvortex

Im think yes, & maybe 4 so we can match the total newcomers the last 2 games had at launch (16) which isnt too far off of what Sm4sh (17 including echoes & miis), i will think & make a later post reguarding the fighters specifically id look at.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Sorry but i think i might have to reject this one. Even though this interpretation of Alice originates from games the character herself debuted & is most well-known outside of gaming. We previously discussed & voted against 4th party reps.

I think ill let this job go on till next week since i know some people are busy this week with the holidays.

However i do want to open up discussion reguarding cuts as mentioned by D darkvortex

Im think yes, & maybe 4 so we can match the total newcomers the last 2 games had at launch (16) which isnt too far off of what Sm4sh (17 including echoes & miis), i will think & make a later post reguarding the fighters specifically id look at.
I feel Alice should be Allowed. She's a public domain character so I don't see it as any different than Dracula being a boss in smash. This is a specific version

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I feel Alice should be Allowed. She's a public domain character so I don't see it as any different than Dracula being a boss in smash. This is a specific version
You're right
Im still not sure i agree but if im the minority here guess we can let Alice through & see how voting goes. If anyone else has any input please feel free to share.

As for the conversation about potential cuts.

The Orginal 16 - i know it was mentioned in the past that this set of fighters might be in a Jigglypuff, Falcon, & even Ness like situation being associated with the series for over a decade at this point. That is something to keep in mind but will address some characters who can maybe be argued to be cut.

Cooper - He & pretty much all Rare characters are kind of relevant again thanks to Rare Replay so dont think it would make sense to cut any of them.

Jack of Blades - can maybe be replaced with a different Fable fighter

Blinx/Brutus - Dont have much to say. Both were backwards compatible with 360 but only Blinx 1 would be available Xbox One (although not until later)

360 Newcomers -
Amelia - Similar to Jack of Blades, could maybe be replaced by another series fighter although not familiar enough to say if that would work.

Shu - can see an argue for cutting but id rather not, feel like he stands out on our roster in general.

Vince - was thrown in as a retro rep, could perhaps be replaced by a different one.

Gunstringer - kind of looked at him as a XBLA & Kinect rep. Not sure he is really bringing too much to the table & his roles could be replaced.

Clones/Echoes - normally naturally under question, not sure if Cole or Sparrow would be replaced or joined by other echoes although Sm4sh had 3ish so we should probably have some.

3rd Party - perhaps it would be believable/interesting if at least 1 company deal fell through, as for who can be argued.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #40
Character Name: Akuma
Character Origin: Super Street Fighter II Turbo (1994)

This might seem like an unusual pick, but there's a method to my madness. Hear me out.

Firstly, while the elephant in the room (in hindsight) would be the PlayStation exclusivity of Street Fighter V, that game wouldn't release until 2016 - whereas in comparison, the Street Fighter IV series has been a fairly consistent showing on both Xbox 360 & PS3 since 2009. Additionally, the Street Fighter series being as big as it is makes it a pretty obvious candidate for a game of this ilk - especially seems as Capcom are presumably already involved if Frank West is sticking around. It's also worth noting that older Street Fighter titles have also been a consistent showing on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One's storefronts at this point too!

As for why Akuma instead of Ryu, there's a couple of reasons. Firstly, they play similarly enough (having their own takes on the shoto archetype, obviously), but Akuma's additional attacks and skills could bring a really unique playstyle to the game - because, bear in mind, we do already have the "fighting game character" archetype represented, so it wouldn't be akin to Ryu's Sm4sh inclusion in that sense. Additionally, Akuma is an incredibly iconic character in fighting game history (and arcade history as a whole!), and I think he'd be a very surprising - but pretty cool - pick with that in mind. And hey - who wouldn't want to see the Raging Demon attack get used against, uh, Blinx?

(Even with that in mind, it's worth noting that Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition also introduced a new form of Akuma in the form of Oni, so it's not like Capcom would deliberately avoid promoting him in some way like this. And, as we know, he'd later appear in TEKKEN 7.)

Discussion Round
I think that's a fair assessment - I will say, though, I think Jack of Blades is iconic enough as a Fable rep to the point where I think he could stick around without too much of an issue on that front (or at least maybe return as a DLC pick.) Also, that's an interesting point about Rare Replay - funny how that works!

I reckon that clones would be pretty fun to try and work out, honestly - having maybe two or three of them seems like a good way to bolster our roster given the direct competition that this game would probably have with Sm4sh. (Which Xbox would probably "win" given the popularity of the Wii U.)

And as for 3rd parties? That's an interesting thought - though as for which one, I think it'd depend, and a voting/discussion round for that seems like a good call.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Newcomer Nominees
Ur-Didact (Schnee117)
Steve (darkvortex)
Ori (Northsouthmap)
Alice (DragonRobotKing26)
Akuma (KneeOfJustice99)
Lara Croft (nirvanafan)

Vote for your Top 4, self votes 2nd or lower, Top 4 overall will he our 1st newcomers.

1 Ori
2 Ur-Didact
3 Lara Croft
4 Akuma

I will extend our conversation around cuts. I mentioned earlier that perhaps it would be believable/interesting if at least 1 3rd party deal fell through. Here are my thoughts on the possibilities.

Koei Tecmo - Things are different now, some Xbox (no co-publishing) releases but several ps exclusives. However that can maybe be a result of several games having a more focused release in Japan where Xbox is not that big. Plus KT has the most reps (3) & has been here since the beginning so would feel really weird without.

Ubisoft/Oddworld - Would be another odd exclusion, been here since the beginning & pretty much all major titles release on PS & Xbox.

Valve - Think this one makes the most sense, Valve has been focusing on Steam & hasnt published any games in 5 years at this point.

Take Two - Can maybe make an argument since Big Daddy was also added to PS Allstars. Know this was more direct but at the same time Capcom was also involved & Koei Tecmo & Oddworld were planned to as well so not sure we want to go that route. Personally i think it would be good pr to keep & add one of ps allstars 3rd party fighters (imagine the reaction if we added the Dante people actually wanted).

Capcom - Makes no sense, Dead Rising 3 was a launch title this generation & was still co-published by Microsoft.

Sega - Doesnt seem like much has changed between them & Microsoft. Plus they were our last addition & it seems like reasonable speculation that renegotiating a deal that primarily happened in 2012 (in 2015) may be easier than anything earlier.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
1. Ori
2. Lara Croft
3. Steve
4. Alice

Didact makes sense for a Halo rep but I'd rather add new series right now. Akuma is funny butover things edged him out

for cuts I think there might be a similar case for letting Brutas, Blinx and Cooper due to them begin similar cases to Falcon, Jigglypuff and Ness in the real world smash butt here's also a case for them. As for who we could cut. I feel we could cut down on extra reps, maybe one of the Halo reps, a DOA girl, Stranger. Gunstringer feels like one that could go, Kameo too, maybe Vince but I could keep him. Glados does make sense for a fall through. maybe Alan Wake but I think he's easier to keep .we also have the option just not to cut anyone if people prefer

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Newcomer Nominees
Ur-Didact (Schnee117)
Steve (darkvortex)
Ori (Northsouthmap)
Alice (DragonRobotKing26)
Akuma (KneeOfJustice99)
Lara Croft (nirvanafan)

Vote for your Top 4, self votes 2nd or lower, Top 4 overall will he our 1st newcomers.

1 Ori
2 Ur-Didact
3 Lara Croft
4 Akuma

I will extend our conversation around cuts. I mentioned earlier that perhaps it would be believable/interesting if at least 1 3rd party deal fell through. Here are my thoughts on the possibilities.

Koei Tecmo - Things are different now, some Xbox (no co-publishing) releases but several ps exclusives. However that can maybe be a result of several games having a more focused release in Japan where Xbox is not that big. Plus KT has the most reps (3) & has been here since the beginning so would feel really weird without.

Ubisoft/Oddworld - Would be another odd exclusion, been here since the beginning & pretty much all major titles release on PS & Xbox.

Valve - Think this one makes the most sense, Valve has been focusing on Steam & hasnt published any games in 5 years at this point.

Take Two - Can maybe make an argument since Big Daddy was also added to PS Allstars. Know this was more direct but at the same time Capcom was also involved & Koei Tecmo & Oddworld were planned to as well so not sure we want to go that route. Personally i think it would be good pr to keep & add one of ps allstars 3rd party fighters (imagine the reaction if we added the Dante people actually wanted).

Capcom - Makes no sense, Dead Rising 3 was a launch title this generation & was still co-published by Microsoft.

Sega - Doesnt seem like much has changed between them & Microsoft. Plus they were our last addition & it seems like reasonable speculation that renegotiating a deal that primarily happened in 2012 (in 2015) may be easier than anything earlier.
Votes
  1. Steve (An obvious, but still interesting, candidate. I think it'd be cool to have Steve as more of a traditional character in this game than how Smash handled him - maybe using his promotional appearance as his baseline? That aside, there's a lot of potential for him even in 2015.)
  2. Lara Croft (One of the most iconic female characters in video games makes a lot of sense to include here too, and I think her being a big headlining inclusion would be pretty interesting. Plus, her playstyle seems like it'd have the potential to be a lot of fun!)
  3. Ur-Didact (Makes a lot of sense as a Halo rep, and I think their design is also pretty cool. Not much to really note on them - they do make a lot of sense to add.)
  4. Ori (A pretty fun "indie" inclusion (sort of) that'd bring a great, unique style to the game overall. I think their design being more cartoonish helps them a lot in this sense, but also that it'd be pretty neat to see their unique playstyle akin to Rivals here too!)
Discussion
I think cutting Valve stuff is the most logical course of action if we're going for an entire company - Valve's business focus has been on Steam for a few years by this point what with them focusing on the PC ecosystem, and while I don't think they'd necessarily pull out any interest in licensing, I think it'd be more of a Microsoft decision not to go with them (due to it basically supporting a direct competitor in the whole "online games market", which is a big focus around this time.) Let's be honest, Microsoft have the money to get basically anyone they want here - so I think having it as their actual decision makes more sense.

Though, if we needed more cuts... everyone from the 360 roster that springs to mind as a potential candidate is as follows. I will say - this list isn't a list of everyone I think should be cut, more just the candidates I think would make sense. (And even then, I'd suggest having them in some sort of non-playable role, like a Trophy or something.)
  • The Prophets might make some sense if we're including Ur-Didact as a new "Halo Villain" character. I'll note that Halo being as flagship of a series as it is (and the Prophets' moveset being really unique) means it's not exactly necessary, but it may be worth considering depending on how much we want to trim the fat.
  • Cole, as cool as he is, is a clone character of Marcus. Now, I think this is an argument both for and against him - thinking back to how Dr. Mario came back to Sm4sh mostly because, being a clone, he was easy enough to include, I think you could argue he'd be good here. I personally wouldn't say he needs cutting, but again, he's an option.
  • Blinx is in a weird spot wherein he's a classic character from since the first game, has a unique look and moveset, and probably has somewhat of an interested fanbase in this universe - but his lack of relevance might shoot him in the foot. I'll say that, of the three "classic" reps on the table, Blinx probably makes the most sense to keep around - purely because of his intended role as the Xbox's mascot being an interesting historical curiosity.
  • Hero or Sparrow could also make sense. I think Jack of Blades' popularity makes sense as a justification to keep him around, but having two visually similar Fable heroes might mean it makes sense to cut one of them. Now, I will admit that Fable Anniversary and Fable Trilogy being fairly recent does kind of help them, but if we're making a lot of cuts, this might make sense.
  • Arkantos might make some sense. Now, I don't think he's as obvious a candidate as some, but it's worth noting that Age of Mythology came out in 2002 - and, while the game was released for Steam in 2014 and recieved an expansion in 2016, I can see why people might think of him as a potential candidate for this role.
  • Brutus is effectively the second "classic" rep on the table, and while I think his moveset being slightly retooled to make him more violent as a differentiater would work well, Brute Force doesn't really have anything keeping him relevant. I will say, he could work as another "historical curiosity", though I don't think Brute Force is on the same level as Blinx beyond initially selling better than Halo: Combat Evolved. Yes, really.
  • Vince is, weirdly, in a similar boat to Arkantos, but under different circumstances. Voodoo Vince does get an enhanced remaster for Xbox One in 2017, but that's two years away - and he was initially added as a curious historical pick, one that's only gotten less relevant with time.
  • Mumbo Jumbo could potentially be on the chopping block too. While I don't think this would be a good call due to Rare Replay, the various Xbox Live Arcade releases of Banjo-Kazooie and so forth, the series hasn't gotten a new game since 2008 - which was Nuts & Bolts. With that in mind, I can reasonably see an argument that it's "overrepresented", even if I wouldn't necessarily agree with it.
  • Kameo could potentially be in a similar situation, but arguably worse. Her moveset is arguably pretty complex to program, she hasn't had a game since 2005, and while she's been included in Rare Replay, she's got a few things holding her back. She'd be nice to keep around, but... I can see an argument for cutting her.
  • Cooper is the last of the "classic" trio, and I think he's in a similar boat to Kameo, if not worse off. Kameo: Elements of Power at least has the historical significance of being an Xbox 360 launch title, Grabbed by the Ghoulies doesn't - but keeping Cooper around in some other role could still work to represent him. After all, he does still have the Rare Replay argument.
  • Kasumi or Ayane might make sense. On a fundamental level, I can understand the argument that two characters from a third-party series who have a pretty similar look and design language might be a bit much - but as for which one, I'm not exactly sure. It could be interesting to keep either of them around - and bear in mind, Ryu feels logical to keep too, so try not to have any overlap.
  • Stranger could make sense too. Oddworld is still a somewhat present series, and keeping Abe makes sense with that in mind, but Stranger's Wrath is at this point a decade old, especially considering the most recent Oddworld product is a remake of the first game. The series has had ports to newer platforms, though.
  • GLaDOS could make sense given the Valve situation I mentioned above. Not much to add on that, though - Portal is arguably a big enough series for her to still be relevant, but it'd make sense to cut her with that in mind.
  • Big Daddy could have an argument depending on the details of PSASBR's licensing. If it stops characters from appearing in direct competition for a while, then fair enough. Bioshock is prominent enough of a series to keep him around, and I don't think him simply being in PSASBR is grounds to cut him outright, but if we did, some kind of licensing detail might make sense as the reason why.
  • Beat might have made sense as a SEGA rep in the last game given JSRF was a little more recognisable and that he'd appeared in various SEGA crossovers, but I think it's worth considering that SEGA by 2015 probably have series they'd be more interested in promoting. I'll note that Jet Set Radio's 2012 Xbox Live Arcade release for the 360 does put him in good stead - but when you consider that SEGA have franchises like Sonic the Hedgehog or even Persona 4 (consider: 2014 did see Persona 4 Arena Ultimax release on the 360), there's a reasonable argument to replace him. (Even if I would personally be pretty devestated by it.)
This probably isn't an exhaustive list, but it's everyone who immediately springs to mind. If I had to pick candidates I think make the most sense, I'd probably go with Sparrow (functionally superceded by Hero), Brutus (lack of relevance as a "historical curiosity"), Vince (similar to Brutus, remaster is too far away too), Cooper (lack of relevance as a "historical curiosity" or a Rare Replay pick), Ayane (functionally superceded by Kasumi), and GLaDOS (Valve licensing issues).

Even so, I do think we could pull a Sm4sh and have some of these characters return as DLC. Vince, for instance, getting his remaster in 2017, would make him a good candidate for this. Additionally, having these characters and series represented elsewhere makes a lot of sense in my mind too. Then, bringing them back in the next game (which is presumably an Ultimate analogue) makes sense too.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
yes it's worth noting one o r two cut cute could return as dlc, and I'm working off the assumption that our next and final game is a smash ultimate analog that will bring everyone back

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
1. Steve
2. Ori
3. Lara Croft
4. Didact

I would cut franchises like Age of Empires and Brute Force due to them not having slots on other fan rosters.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Results (Top 4 Added)
1 Ori 21
2 Steve 20
3 Lara Croft 16
4 Didact 9

5 Alice 2
5 Akuma 2

Job 41 - Finalizing Cuts

After the previous discussion submit how you would handle cuts. We will vote & use who had the best concept & there will be an option for no cuts.

4 cuts gives us room for 16 newcomers which matches our previous games & is around Sm4sh.

Glados - Valve Licensing

Ayane - Seems reasonable with similarities between Koei Tecmo reps & weaker relation they have with Microsoft

Gunstringer - We already have Avatars to rep Kinect & i think we should add a more iconic XBLA rep.

Vince - We have several reps who would be classified as a throwback at this point & not sure Vince is bringing alot to the table plus wasnt in the 1st game like Blinx or Brutus.

Based on our conversation KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 has specified the below choices (can change if needed)
- Sparrow, Brutus, Vince, Cooper, Ayane, Glados

darkvortex & Northsouthmap also gave some ideas. Although i was wondering if we can get a definitive lists or at least some specific details.

D darkvortex - which halo/doa rep & what to do with maybes

Northsouthmap Northsouthmap - where you including Age of Mythologies (Arkantos) or just Empires (Amelia)

Once again though you can revise if you changed your mind about anything & anyone elses concepts for cuts are encouraged.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Nirvanafan's list makes sense. Maybe throw on sparrow since there's. A good chance we add the Fable 3 Hero . I don't think Age of empires needs to be cut, gives us another genre rep

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Results (Top 4 Added)

darkvortex & Northsouthmap also gave some ideas. Although i was wondering if we can get a definitive lists or at least some specific details.

Northsouthmap Northsouthmap - where you including Age of Mythologies (Arkantos) or just Empires (Amelia)

Once again though you can revise if you changed your mind about anything & anyone elses concepts for cuts are encouraged.
I was thinking of cutting the Prophets since we're adding a new villain, but we don't need to

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Results (Top 4 Added)
1 Ori 21
2 Steve 20
3 Lara Croft 16
4 Didact 9

5 Alice 2
5 Akuma 2

Job 41 - Finalizing Cuts

After the previous discussion submit how you would handle cuts. We will vote & use who had the best concept & there will be an option for no cuts.

4 cuts gives us room for 16 newcomers which matches our previous games & is around Sm4sh.

Glados - Valve Licensing

Ayane - Seems reasonable with similarities between Koei Tecmo reps & weaker relation they have with Microsoft

Gunstringer - We already have Avatars to rep Kinect & i think we should add a more iconic XBLA rep.

Vince - We have several reps who would be classified as a throwback at this point & not sure Vince is bringing alot to the table plus wasnt in the 1st game like Blinx or Brutus.

Based on our conversation KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 has specified the below choices (can change if needed)
- Sparrow, Brutus, Vince, Cooper, Ayane, Glados

I meant both Ages series

darkvortex

Smash Champion
But I think that the Ages characters are the most obscure out of the roster, due to most of the games being on PC.
I do understand and respect where you're coming from, but i think that's why they're worth keeping, at the point we're at, the sites is till currently active and seeking well, and they bring in a different playerbase. I think having some weird picks makes sense, no one making a Nintendo roster today would think to add Captain Falcon or Ness or Ice climbers. I say we keep at least one Age of character.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
It is an interesting conversation, where i do agree that we should keep the series i can definitely see a fair argument against. I would compare it more to Smash adding Captain N or a pre-gaming company character to help expand the roster eventually feeling out of place in a series meant to push their console gaming. We are still a decent bit out of the series hitting consoles (2021?, excluding an apparent PS2 release published by Konami, have no idea how that happened)

Anyway, Time to vote

Nominees
No Cuts
KneeOfJustice99 (Sparrow, Brutus, Vince, Cooper, Ayane, Glados)
Northsouthmap (Arkantos, Amelia, Brutus)
Nirvanafan (Glados, Ayane, Gunstringer, Vince)

Vote for your Top 2, self votes in 2nd, most votes wins, can vote for just no cuts if you want.

1 KneeOfJustice99
2 Nirvanafan

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
But I think that the Ages characters are the most obscure out of the roster, due to most of the games being on PC.
Not to interject... but I think it might be worth noting that Microsoft themselves are the producers of Windows. A lot of Microsoft's own history (especially with games) is inextricably tied to the PC platform with that in mind - so I feel like (to a certain extent) it kind of makes sense that the Age of... series would be included, as a prominent series owned by Microsoft, and as a sort of bone being thrown to their "PC history" of sorts. Plus, I can see a reasonable argument for these games (as in, Xbox Legends) being present on Game Pass - which would then allow it to also be playable on PC too.

I can see an argument for the series perhaps not being as relevant if you're focusing purely on Xbox, but given we've already expanded our scope somewhat to include other elements of Microsoft's history and the like (such as Flight Simulator and the Windows representation we have), I do think there's a place for it here. To be honest, if we're going by obscurity alone, the Age of... series is probably more prominent than franchises like Blinx and a lot of the Rare games we've got represented here. Though, that's just my two cents - and sorry for the late response!

It is an interesting conversation, where i do agree that we should keep the series i can definitely see a fair argument against. I would compare it more to Smash adding Captain N or a pre-gaming company character to help expand the roster eventually feeling out of place in a series meant to push their console gaming. We are still a decent bit out of the series hitting consoles (2021?, excluding an apparent PS2 release published by Konami, have no idea how that happened)

Anyway, Time to vote

Nominees
No Cuts
KneeOfJustice99 (Sparrow, Brutus, Vince, Cooper, Ayane, Glados)
Northsouthmap (Arkantos, Amelia, Brutus)
Nirvanafan (Glados, Ayane, Gunstringer, Vince)

Vote for your Top 2, self votes in 2nd, most votes wins, can vote for just no cuts if you want.

1 KneeOfJustice99
2 Nirvanafan
  1. Nirvanafan's List (I think this makes sense. GLaDOS getting cut for licensing reasons is fair, Ayane can functionally be superceded by Kasumi, and both Vince and Gunstringer arguably aren't very well-known. I do think the decision to keep characters like Brutus and Cooper around is an... interesting one, given the reasoning is based on them being in the first game - but I don't think it's necessarily bad, as they can bring unique movesets and vibes to the table compared to anyone else.)
  2. KneeOfJustice99's List (Although this does cut more characters than the others, I think it makes sense. My reasoning for some is similar to Nirvanafan's - though sort of extended. Plus, it gives us more breathing room for inclusions and considerations this time around - which I think could be pretty interesting to consumers!)

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Looks like i dont have to count here. Everyones top vote was KneeOfJustice99 (except KneeOfJustice99 who couldnt because of self votes anyway).

Cooper
Brutus
Glados
Vince
Sparrow
Ayane

Final counts for the base roster are 33 veterans & 18 newcomers (51 total like Sm4sh).

Something kind of interesting, realized this is actually the same amount of cuts base Sm4sh had from Brawl, although we have 1 extra newcomer since Dr. Mario was brought back.

Also to keep things consistent all Valve content is ineligible for this game.

Job 42 - Nominate a fighter from a Series already on the roster. Not a requirement but could be good opportunity to add more villain and/or female reps.

Halo
Blinx
Fable
Banjo Kazooie
Conker
Perfect Dark
Battletoads
Age of (Empires/Mythologies)
Ninja Gaiden / Dead or Alive
Splinter Cell
Oddworld
Gears of War
Kameo
Viva Pinata
Blue Dragon
Crackdown
Gunstringer
Alan Wake
Bioshock
Dead Rising
Jet Set Radio
Minecraft
Ori
Tomb Raider

Orchid (Killer Instinct)

Series revival is out. Makes sense to add a fighter. Jago can be argued as he seemed to particularly being pushed but his sister is also popular/iconic & i think she would be a more interesting/unique fighter on our roster.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Elizabeth_bioshock_render_by_shardraldevius-d9m3qf1.png

Elizabeth
BioShock Infinite has been out and was aclaimed. Booker might make more sense as a character to include but I think most people would agree Elizabeth is one of the more memorable parts of the game. She would have a moveset that makes use of her reality bending powers and could also summon Songbird for her specials

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Character Name: Dark Queen
Character Origin: Battletoads (1991)
Franchise: Battletoads

Upgraded from her appearance in the last game as an Assist, the Dark Queen - who'd now take on her look in the classic arcade title - feels like a pretty interesting candidate for another "throwback" pick. Battletoads has been present in this series since the beginning - and the Dark Queen, one of the earliest female villains in video games, feel like a great second character to add to them. And - unlike other picks, Battletoads has the recent appearance in Rare Replay, as well as the potential remnants of the Battletoads preorder meme, to play on when including her.

As for moveset potential - I think that the Dark Queen would be pretty unique here, too. Unlike, say, Gruntilda - the Dark Queen gets more involved in combat, but uses her dark magic to aid her in it, such as by turning herself into a powerful tornado, or being able to cast fire and just bash you with her staff. Generally, she's characterised in her boss battles as someone difficult to reach, but fairly easy to attack - so I'd probably suggest something similar here by having her have a lot of get-off-me options and some decent zoning tools.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Sorry for the delay, time to vote.

Nominees
Elizabeth (darkvortex)
Dark Queen (KneeOfJustice99)
Klungo (Qwerty UIOP)
Gum (DragonRobotKing26)
Nick Ramos (Northsouthmap)
Orchid (nirvanafan)

Vote for your top 4, self votes 2nd or lower. Top 4 overall will join roster.

1 Elizabeth
2 Orchid
3 Nick Ramos
4 Dark Queen

Klungo & Gum are great too but i think we got enough Banjo reps & i dont see there being a push for more JSR characters (unless our Series X game gets support to current day).

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
  1. Orchid (Makes a lot of sense for the era given the recent release of 2013's Killer Instinct, and she is a pretty iconic and unique character from the series.)
  2. Elizabeth (Pretty inspired pick as a second one from the BioShock series, and I think she'd have a lot of moveset potential with her reality-bending!)
  3. Dark Queen (I think she'd work well as an interesting throwback pick, as well as a good opportunity to expand our villainous presence in the roster overall. Not many notes beyond what I mentioned in my original submission, though.)
  4. Nick Ramos (In my mind, this would depend on the specifics of how Frank works. After all, one of Dead Rising 3's main gimmicks with Nick was that he could craft together weapons on the fly without a workbench - but I think that could be a good way to differentiate him from Frank if we did that.)
I will say, Gum is an interesting one - I don't really think Jet Set Radio needs more than one character (considering its relative lack of relevance even with the 2012 HD re-release of the first title on PC), but if we were looking for a clone, Gum might work in that regard. (Though, at the same time, maybe there'd be other clones that might make some sense?) Also, Klungo - while being a lot of fun - feels like he might work better as an Assist of some kind?

Top Bottom