• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[X-Post] 2014 SA Smash in review from a new blood:

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted in the SA Smash FB group, 1/1/14

Man this year has been wild, dunno how much went on in this scene in previous years but during my time here this has been crazy.

So my first tournament experiences started early in the year when I moved to Adelaide and I just wanna thank Oli, Mason/Grim and Kizzmit being the main people who made me want to keep coming back. In the time going to tournaments I was having fun just competing and getting better because there was so much for me to learn as a newcomer but after a while I felt like something was up. It was probably when I witnessed Winners Finals in SSBM be played out on Big Blue using Puff only, only to find out it was because both players didn't care, and frankly there was no tangible reason to. I ignored it and went about playing some more friendlies thinking it was a once off thing. But it wasn't, and so I could see that something was off, but didn't quite know how I can make the scene care again.

I want to thank @Alecat for introducing us to EVAC during the month there was no StreetGeek. It's fair to say without the meetup opportunity EVAC provides, we would not have seen as much growth in the scene as we did this year. When you said that you needed some commentators for AVCon and we should do some practice runs, I thought I might give it a go and get the ball rolling by buying a cheap capture card and bringing in my laptop, which now people know as the regular EVAC Friday Night Friendlies stream. When that got started and people started coming to EVAC and saying they came because of the stream, it makes me so happy because it makes the effort worth it in the end.

I want to thank @Mooseking (Troy Nelson) for giving me the opportunity to run several Smash games at SXC this year, which in my opinion (excusing some main stage hiccups, last minute pullouts from people and the location struggles) was a relative success. To everyone who helped in this event in someway, even just putting your name down on the logistics form to help us get our foot in the door, thank you so much. I'd also want to thank the interstate crew who came down for this @Redact, @dreadtech, @ Jamwa Jamwa , @Chappos & @mask1n words cannot describe how damn HAPPY having ANY interstate presence at an SA tourney made me.

Shoutout to Nick for making me sad on a daily basis because of how damn quick you've gotten good. Also, to everyone who frequents meetups and tournaments, the amount of drive that people have had this year is so crazy, we've all been pushing each other so hard (sometimes to the very brink *cough* Mason *cough*) and the competition has been so fierce and it makes me glad that people care about this game. It makes it feel like all the effort we put in is worth it. Among all the **** we give each other, calling each other busters, sadboys, you name it, we always come through by banding together where it counts. (Shakyy is still #1 buster of the year though)

To all the new people who have shown up this year along with me, whether it be through EVAC, StreetGeek, or the random UniBar tournaments, your presence helps the scene so so SO damn much especially considering the relatively dying state it was in.

I wanna thank everyone's support and effort we've all put in this year to make SA Smash into something better everyday.

I didn't really want to be any sort of figure for the scene, I just did things that I thought people should be doing, and I hope this inspires other people to do something with this scene. Anyone can do it, anyone can be the person to give a push to get the ball rolling and now I'm incredibly proud of what I've done through the stream and SXC.

Finally, SHOW UP TO SOME DAMN TOURNAMENTS GUYS :)

But anyway, look forward to some bigger and better things in 2015, I can't reveal anything yet but there are some good plans for the scene on the horizon.

Peace out everyone, happy new year~

(I think you guys should also post in this thread your favourite or most memorable moments of the year, or just general SA Smash stuff from this year. Offer some kind - or not so kind - words to each other~)

unrelated note: if anyone's got the PCGFace emoticon can you pls hmu I'm gonna make it a new sub emote on my stream

Last edited:

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for providing us with amusing stories from your adventures in SA in the net play chat as well! Good luck with the scene in 2015!

Jamwa

Smash Champion
<3 Thanks for making SA my best tournament experience ever, it was so much fun commentating and all da boiz in SA were mad
so much salt tho

pls move to melbourne

Top Bottom