• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X-COM: in all of it's forms

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Will pretty up the thread when I have a chance.

Brief run down;

Turn Based Strategy Game from the early 90's about saving the Earth from Alien Invasion. Several sequels and spinoffs inspired from this game. Getting two "remakes/reboots" depending on how you look at them later this year/next year.

More to come. Start discussing.

EDIT1: Pulled info from Wiki articles for background information...

Wikipedia said:
UFO: Enemy Unknown (later released under the title X-COM: UFO Defense in the United States and Japan, and also as X-Com: Enemy Unknown on the Sony Playstation) is a critically acclaimed strategy video game created by Julian Gollop and published by MicroProse Software in 1994. It is the first entry in the X-COM series and is often regarded by critics and in polls as one of the best video games ever made.

The story of X-COM begins in 1998. The initial plot centers around increased reports of UFO sightings. Tales of abduction and rumors of attacks by the unknown aliens become widespread. The nations of the world come to perceive this as a threat and attempt to form their own forces to deal with this, such as Japan's Kiryu-Kai force; these forces fail miserably, the Kiryu-Kai not intercepting a single UFO in its five months of operation. On December 11, 1998, representatives from some of the most powerful nations in the world meet in Geneva, Switzerland, to discuss the issue. From this meeting was born the secret paramilitary organization Extraterrestrial Combat Unit (X-COM), over which the player assumes control at the start of the game.

The player manages X-COM throughout the game, battling aliens. As the game progresses, the player learns more and more about the enemy, their species, sub-species, mutated creations and technology. It is revealed that the aliens are led by creatures of immense mental power called Ethereals, and that their main base is located on Mars, in a region known as Cydonia. It is up to the player to fully prepare the final assault team, attack Cydonia and destroy the mastermind behind the alien invasion, the Alien Brain.
Buy on Steam here (individual games or as a pack):
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

Top Bottom