• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WV Melee Tournament: A New Start

Corigames

Smash Hero
Ok, so here is the plan. I'm going to be holding a tournament here at my house in South Charleston on Saturday December 20. I figure that it's close enough to Christmas that people will be off from school but far enough away that it doesn't interfere with family matters.

It's time to get the ball rolling in WV. I never had competitive smash out here, so let's give this a roll. If I can get a scene rolling here, then maybe we can!

4404 Jones St.
South Charleston, WV 25309
(Next to Sunset Memorial Cemetery)

Questions/Comments:
Cell phone
(480) 881 - 7256
AIM
Coreygames88

Directions:
From Morgantown
From Huntington
From Petersburg

Housing:
My home is a 2 story house. If you need a place to stay the night before or after, please tell me! I have 4 bedrooms available and a sizable couch.

Time:
12/20/08 Saturday
If there are enough people for doubles... doubles sign up will start at 11am.

After doubles ends, we will have a break to get lunch (not provided by me. Sorry, I lack cash) until singles. There is a Taco Bell and Schlotzsky's within walking distance and a Wendy's, McDonald's, and Long John Silver's within driving.

Singles sign up will start at 4pm.

This is my house. I would appreciate it if you respected the property by not making a mess of things. I have 1 dog (Shelty - Shetland Sheepdog), and he doesn't bite. So, if you are allergic, please take medicine if you plan to come.

Price:
Doubles - $10 a team ($5 each)
Singles - $5

If you have any Money Matches you want to take care of, please do it either during the break or after the event is over. I don't want to fight people for control of TVs during tournament time!

Equipment:
I have-
2 TVs
1 Wii
1 Smash

If you bring any of these items, I will take a dollar off your fee to both tournaments ($4 for singles $9 for doubles). If both members of a team bring something it will be reduced twice ($8).

If 10 people or less show up to this even by the time it starts or I don't get enough RSVPs to meet that number, consider this a smashfest instead. Too few people makes it not worth the money, time, and travel for a lot of people.

Sign ups will be held here and in the WV official thread. Post in either and I will put your name here:
Doubles-
Coreygames + x BLUESHADE x

Singles-
Coreygames
J122
PH.D
Mexican
YimmyZ
Byped

Also, I accept Money Matches for Mario Kart 64 :3 -

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
maybe regional zones would work out a little better, no?

/bump

Corigames

Smash Hero
I posted in the Official WV thread >_> Also, mods don't want tournaments posted in the zone itself, that's what this board's for so... I may be out of luck.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
lmao sucks... california is very blessed by comparison.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm guessing you would consider this a bump post.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to this, but... *sigh*

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I would drive 2 hrs to a brawl tourney (depending if you'd get 20+ ppl or not).
=/ sorreh

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Nothing is wrong with Melee. I like it better actually.
I've just been so involved in Brawl that I would do pitiful at a Melee tourney -- so it isn't worth the travel.
I'm just lookin out for my moniez.
^_^

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
I am of course coming. I'm also up for domming some Mario Kart 64, so watch out for that.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'll just put everyone down that says they'll come as a maybe as a yes. Sorry, I'm trying to inflate my attendance so more people are compelled to go.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
inflation only FEELS like more. lol
but i guess that's the point at this point.... point.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
hold one of these next month and your nieghbors in pittsburgh should be there.

we;ve consisdered WV a deadspot for the longest amount of time.(tourney holding wise)

glad to see y'all have a pulse.

The date is wierd cuz lot of our smasher are out of state and go home for break. But us bunch of college kids will DEF wanna do something next month. Like I can almost garantee attendence since y'all are the closest to us. If we can take trips out to columbus cleveland and philly its good chance that soem of us(roughly bout 10-11 of us active guys) will make it one next month. heck some of us my show up to this one.

edit: **** y'all are right in the mid of WV.....so its like roughly the same distance from pittsburgh to: cleveland, columbus, and y'all BUT WE'RE DEF INTERESTED. I hope ur turnout will be nice this time around

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, I hope to do a tournament a month for as long as I am in WV and keep getting attendance. Thanks for showing interest and support and I would be happy to have college folk fro out of state come just for me ;)

I picked the 20th because I figured more people would be available from holiday and stuff.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
If this becomes a continuation of tournaments (i.e. monthly) would it ever morph into a Brawl one? ^_^

Medafighter X

Smash Journeyman
you should think about raising the entry fee for singles to $10, it would make it better for the people who are driving from out of state to attend this.

Corigames

Smash Hero
you should think about raising the entry fee for singles to $10, it would make it better for the people who are driving from out of state to attend this.
Well, while that may be true, I do want this to be an accessible tournament. Paying double what I've already said may dsicourage some people.

I'll say this then. If no one disagrees by Sunday night, then I'll raise it to $10 for out-of-state people. Showing that people in state aren't influencing as much as they should be.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
lol

this is one of those times you just have to sit back and say "just keep on talking"

Corigames

Smash Hero
Did no one notice the name of the tournament was "WV MELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Tournament: ..."

Read people >_> Get my hopes up like that... jerks.

Corigames

Smash Hero
so like, whens the earliest we can show up?
Well, I would like it if people had equipment to show up around 10 so we can set things up before everyone gets there. However, I think that if you had to show up earlier than that, 9:30am would be the earliest.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
good to see this isn't getting ignored anymore, right corey?

are you going to be recording?

Corigames

Smash Hero
I have my VCR hooked up to my TV in the living room, and recording on it seemed to work perfectly. Now all I have to do is find a VHS to digital device, find the money to buy it, and then do so.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i have a dazzleDVC100 (i think it's called that lol)

but yeah, it's only like 34 bucks MAX
lol

Corigames

Smash Hero
I have 3 $1 dollar bills.

I'm actually going to have to bum my tournament money off my sister >_<

Wow... I now feel like a loser, thanks Lumpy.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Never mind on that, I got a random paycheck today from work for $14 for while I was applying. Nice.

Some final notes during these last hours leading up to the event:
1. This is West Virginia slum. I do not have a fancy house. My house has... problems. I will try to address all of these.
A) The stairway railing is a little loose. Be careful when climbing the stairs.
B) The back porch is currently being constructed, so any breaks should be done on the front porch.
C) We have a broken bathroom, but one fully functional.
D) There is a hole in one of the walls. Please do not put any of your body or anything in the hole, no matter how tempting it may be.
If you break anything or find something broken, notify me immediately. As long as it isn't something as big as a TV or a hole in the wall, it shouldn't be too big of a deal as long as you tell me instead of letting me find out for myself.

We have a very hairy dog. If you are allergic to dogs, please take some sort of medicine with you. He will not bite you, and, if he ends up becoming a problem, I will put him away.
I am cleaning up all night tonight to get the place as ready as I can for everyone the next morning. I'm making sure there isn't anything that would make someone feel uncomfortable aside from things that are out of my hand such as repair work. If there is a mess anywhere, alert me so that I can take care of it!

I will not tolerate fighting at this on our property. If you assault anyone you will be thrown out with no refund of your money. I don't care if you drove from Washington or Mexico to get here, I will kick you out. This also extends to people not participating as well as the dog. There is nothing that can't be settled from a money mach in Smash, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I will provide housing to anyone that wants to stay tonight or tomorrow night. I have 3 open bedrooms, a shower with towels for anyone who wants it, and plenty of extra blankets and pillows. However, I cannot provide you with any of our food, as we are getting low ourselves while waiting for my next, real paycheck. If you bring food to cook, you are free to use our kitchen to whatever extent, but please take care of our silverware, pots/pans, and utensils.

There should be no alcohol brought into the house. If you play better drunk, then do it before you show up to the house and get your buzz back during the break if you need to. I understand some people have special needs to be at their peak, but no controlled substances will be allowed on the premises. Please smoke outside too.

No wobbling. No freeze glitches. No stalling. Yadda yadda. You know the rules. Same stages for each tournament as normal as well as usual rules. I will go over the rules anyway before the games actually start.

Right now I still only have 1 Wii, 1 Game, but I do have 3 TVs. Even if you can't bring a TV, it would still be helpful if you brought a Wii/GC and/or a game. I'm still instating the rule that if you bring equipment, then the price will be reduced slightly. I have plenty of space for many set-ups. I think the most I could comfortably fit is about 7, but I only have 1 full set-up right now, so please help out!

If less than 10 people show up to an event, then the time that would normal be used for that event can then be used for friendlies or MMs. Also, I will be disappointed :(

If there's anything else, I'll make sure to note it here.

Top Bottom