• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WTF!? Vanish?

Krii

Smash Journeyman
Ok so i was playing SSBB with sheik one evening with a few friends. And something strnage startled me that happened with sheik that involved her entering beginning animation for vanish, and the end (exiting) animation for vanish. Well the simple facts are that i vanish and the initial hit knocks the enemy in a certain direction, but then i re-appear on the same person as he travels along the trajectory. And as i reappear, my opponent's DI changes abruptly into a spike. I just wanted to know if this was some new discovery, a glitch or something that's already known. (i have been away from the boards for a while and this was incentive enough to return =3) I have the recorded data saved on a SD card, if anyone would like to view it.

D1RE

Smash Cadet
This has been known for quite some time, thanks for trying though. When you reappear after a vanish you create a "wind" that will knock characters a bit away from you, with wrong DI and a little luck you can cause this spike you mentioned, although you might just as well save someone from a vanish kill.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I hate this trick. I cannot count the number of times it has killed me.

(Actually, I love it.)

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
It's known as Vanish catching. Do it to fast-fallers like Falcon and falco.

You can try to set it up by SHFF-fair near the ledge but when you fall, dont land on the stage, and stay away from your opponent a little. Time Vanish so that you hit them on their outer side, then simply hold upwards towards the floor of the stage (don't grab the ledge. It can be dangerous). Walk towards the ledge and SMACK down+towards ledge, and sheik will instantly grab the ledge seeminly from the stage. Whether you want to edgehog or footstool from here is up to you.

There is a moment's lapse after Vanish Catch that the opponent cannot use any B attack. This amount of time grows with damage. Fast fallers usually dont stand a chance since by the time they can recover, they've already gone too far.

There is another way to use this. The "Wind" aspect that "changes DI" (infact it gives them a swift boost in the other direction, like Tink's d-air) can be used to shove people doing certain attacks off the stage. (See the Sheik/Zelda guides to see people getting killed with wind.)

demodemo

Smash Ace
happens too much. gar.

that is why you should always vanish away from your opponent. to not get punished, and to avoid the wind from stealing your hard earned KO. however, its hard to perdict what direction they go sometime so yeah..

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
demodemo, if you're on their right, they will go left. Always. If you're on their left, they will go right, always.

Most of the time they DI and are shocked to have been caught. On MANY occasions I have caught them with a running U-smash or charged F-smash while they're otg.

Top Bottom