• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wow... You guys won't believe this.

sixflags11804

Smash Cadet
Falco is officially broken on Luigi's Mansion (hopefully!). Ok.. so first of all, I'd like to give pure_awesome some credit for his video on the laser lock on Rainbow Cruise. What he did, was chain grab > footstool > ledge cancel > run off ledge and laser behind you. It was pretty simple but kinda hard to do. So I figured, there has to be a stage where you can footstool them and not have to ledge cancel. And it hit me! Luigi's mansion!

So, I went into training mode and tried to chain grab footstool Metaknight under neath the stage (bottom right or bottom left). The first couple tries I struggled and it seemed like whenever I hit the ceiling, I would stall there for a second. Then I tried to air dodge right after I footstooled him. And it worked! I was able to laser lock Metaknight pretty easily! And I did it very fast too, so I don't think he can escape it if falco does it right.

Anyways, all you have to do is Chain grab > footstool > airdodge and DI towards the end of the stage (the one closest to you) > and then start lasering away! I've only practiced this against Metaknight, so I'm sure you can do this combo to other characters as well. Let me know what you guys think about this, and try practicing it on your own too.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Cool. I never thought of using an airdodge to cut down the lag on the ceiling. Good **** man.

For the record, this is the video he's talking about.

If someone can confirm this, then this would mean that Falco actually has two guaranteed Laser Locks on Luigi's Mansion, one when the Mansion is intact (this one) and one when the Mansion is broken down (using Platform Cancelling on the ghost platforms).

Metaknight's Fortress my azzzz.

I also suggest trying this against a taller character to see if it works. I don't see why it wouldn't, but it's always good to be sure.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Haha it looks promising so far, but I'll need to try it more.

Rock on Falco metagame development!

Now we just need less situational and more straight up broken tactics... >__>

sixflags11804

Smash Cadet
Ok... so far I've been able to do it real easy on Metaknight, Snake, Wario, and a few others. Some of them are different though. Like olimar for example, all you do is run at him and keep tapping jump, but you footstool him by hitting the ceiling first. You can't just footstool him off the bat. But it still works if you hit the ceiling first then footstool him. Its weird, I know. But you can laser lock him after you footstool him.

Diddy is hard to do this to. I'm not even sure it can be done. Toon Link is the exact same way Diddy is.

We need to get a video of this to show how awesome this is!

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
nice find. to bad Luigi mansion is baned where I live :\. Anyways about the "chain grab > footstool > ledge cancel > run off ledge and laser behind you" on RC, can;t this be done on other stages where u can do the ledge cancel? If so, we cud have more gauranteed LLs.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Yes, the Platform Cancel Laser Lock can be performed on more stages, the most prominent one being Smashville, and Luigi's Mansion being one of the more effective ones. The combo isn't that great on Smashville, but I'm currently researching different ways to apply it and, once I get my Wii back, I have a few ideas that could result in 0-deaths on Smashville.

It does work on Lylat Cruise, but the Laser Lock is frequently broken by the tilting of the stage.

I also theorize that we can use the Dropthrough from Shield tech that I only found out about recently to make the tech much safer, faster, and more effective.

Sixflags, just out of curiosity, if you do an upair instead of the airdodge, does it still work? It won't add anything to the combo, I'm just curious as to how/why this works.

sixflags11804

Smash Cadet
I don't think up air would work. The reason air dodge works, is because when you jump and hit the ceiling, it stalls you out for a second. But if you airdodge while you are on the ceiling, it cancels it out. So all you have to do is airdodge as soon as you hit the ceiling and you will come right back down.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Falco also has a 3rd laser lock on Luigis mansion. Dthrow X3 - uptilt - laserlock when the mansion is up normally (utilizing the ceilings of course)

but i'd still never want to play on luigis mansion cause it hurts other aspects of his game.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
but i'd still never want to play on luigis mansion cause it hurts other aspects of his game.
Yeah, but it's nice to know what we have at our disposal if we get forced to go there.

I hate that stage... a lot... >__>

Haha it looks promising so far, but I'll need to try it more.

Rock on Falco metagame development!

Now we just need less situational and more straight up broken tactics... >__>
This is a broken tactic. It's have more stages Falco is br0ken on.

Yeah, but it's nice to know what we have at our disposal if we get forced to go there.

I hate that stage... a lot... >__>
I like the stage. It seems pretty easy to avoid contact and just destroy the pillars when you need to. Plus, it helps with staying alive. If you grab the center of a full house you control a good portion of the stage as any approach is forced through SHLs and any above strike is pretty much cancelled out.

sixflags11804

Smash Cadet
Falco also has a 3rd laser lock on Luigis mansion. Dthrow X3 - uptilt - laserlock when the mansion is up normally (utilizing the ceilings of course)

The only problem with that, is that is techable.

Hey pure_awesome, I have a question. When you ledge cancel, do you just repetively tap down or do you time it right and just tap down once?

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
I had something incredibly strange happen. So strange, that I won't blame anyone for not believing me.

I was trying the chaingrab > footstool > airdodge on Game and Watch at the right side of Luigi's Mansion. From 0% I did 3 down throws, footstooled, air dodged, came down right on top of G&W while trying to laser, then he got pushed through the ground, and went flying off and dying to the right. He was moving so fast that it would have been impossible to survive.

I've been trying to reproduce it on video for about an hour, but haven't had any luck. Probably just a one in a million bug, but if it could ever be done consistently, Falco would be more than broken. I'll spend some more time trying to make it work tomorrow.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Hmm didn't think about airdodging... nice find.

I actually found a semi-useful thing on japes. If you foostool someone underneath any of the platforms (except for the one you can drop-through) you can instantly dair metaknight, and most likely all other characters I suppose. So I tried to replicate this on other stages with a laserlock but never thought about airdodging lol.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
this looks pretty cool. i guess ill give that a go later today. couldn't people (like MK) DI away and do an attack (like up b?)

update
didnt quite work when i tried it. and that was on a computer, i believe normal people would DI away or attack out of it.

raydude

Smash Apprentice
hey can anyone plz gimme the link to a vid of this or the 1 done on rc...caus im confused by just reading it @.@

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Yeah, he seems pretty cool.

I wonder if he has a Smashboards account?
If he does, I hope it's awesome and not lame like BizarroParagon. What's that even supposed to mean ya know?

Anyway, have you guys tried this on Pirate Ship? Seems like it be pretty sweet to laser lock somebody into a canon ball or that lever thingy.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Anyway, have you guys tried this on Pirate Ship? Seems like it be pretty sweet to laser lock somebody into a canon ball or that lever thingy.
You have no idea how much I wanted a 0-Death Catapult Combo to add to my resume. I thought if I could LL someone against the Catapult, it would just rocket them into the side after enough damage.

Alas, Pirate Ship actually sucks for the Platform Cancel combos for the same reason as Lylat Cruise; Laser Locks simply aren't effective on a consistent enough basis to be relied on at a high level of play.

The thing with Pirate Ship is that it, ever so slightly, tilts from side to side. If this ends up tilting your opponent up and towards you, there's no problem. However, all actions have an equal and opposite blah blah blah, so that means the ship is about tilt your opponent down. When the Laser hits him with the stage tilting down, he bounces up and tries to return to his normal position on the stage at the level it was before. Since the stage is no longer there and is actually an inch or two lower, the game spazzes the hell out and just defaults the character to his normal position, freefalling in the air. He almost immediately lands on the stage standing up, which obviously makes the Laser Lock end.

This is why Lylat Cruise and Pirate Ship suck for this and also why we can't effectively Laser Lock people against the fin on Corneria (or any other downslope, really.)

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Does this not work on either of the pokemon stadiums? I forget if you can platform cancel on those two and don't have the game to test it right now.

And how do people think of some of these things? O_o

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I don't have my Wii to test just yet, but I can say with reasonable confidence that it would work situationally on the Stadiums.

By situationally, I mean you would have to both time and position your chaingrab properly so that you could footstool a platform as the stage was changing. This would register them as being moving platforms and allow the PC to take place. It's ultimately possible, but not worth it, especially since you wouldn't be able to Laser Lock against the wall on the Fire transformation.

I generally think of these things when I'm not playing, and I get alot of inspiration from other character boards. Someone on the Samus boards made a video about forced standup possibilities, and that got me thinking about Laser Lock standup possibilities. I've also always liked Platform cancelling and throw it into my game every once in a while just to show off, but I was always looking for some way to apply it meaningfully. Eventually two and two just kind of fell together in my head. I went to test it, it worked, and... yeah.

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
So to ledge cancel you just FF into a platform while doing a footstool?

Top Bottom